Start by marking “Skeleton Crew” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  103,055 ratings  ·  1,783 reviews
In this brilliant collection of stories, Stephen King takes readers down paths that only he could imagine. A supermarket becomes the place where humanity makes its last stand against destruction. A trip to the attic becomes a journey to hell. A woman driver finds a scary shortcut to paradise. An idyllic lake harbors a bottomless evil. And a desert island is the scene of ...more
Published June 21st 1985 by Macdonald & Company

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Crew, please sign up.
Srikumar Krishna Iyer It is gross.
Thank god, it was just a short story, can't imagine it as a long read in the form of a Novel or even a novella for that matter.
Elyse Introduction
Nona
For Owen
Survivor Type
Uncle Otto's Truck
Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
Gramma

Start your review of Skeleton Crew
Celeste
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Stephen King is such a master storyteller. I’ve come to love him over the past few years, and I now count him among my favorite authors. I have to agree with the masses, however; King tends to fall flat when it comes to endings. Thankfully, that’s not really an issue when it comes to short stories. They’re not supposed to really end, which I think is a huge boon in King’s favor. As with Night Shift, the first of King’s short story collections I
Edward Lorn
There will be some of you that think three stars is kinda harsh for this collection. After all, it includes such amazing tales as The Mist and The Jaunt. It must be amazeballs, right? Not so much. Even the epically awesome stories in this collection need to be trimmed down. Most of them start slower than a Lars Von Trier movie, and over half of them never really pay off. There are some serious WTF stories within this collection; stories I didn't understand ten years ago and still do not ...more
Karen
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
There are two short stories that I read over and over. The Mist has always been a favorite, and I can't believe how many people haven't read Survivor Type! It's awesome!

I've lost three copies of this from lending it out. Don't ask--you can't borrow it! ;o)
Erin
Skeleton Crew is my least favorite Stephen King story collection. Its not a bad collection, but something just felt off. The six stories I loved are probably some of my favorite Stephen King stories but the rest were just blah!

The Good:
1)The Raft is my favorite story in this collection. A group of friends on a raft find themselves being picked off by some mysterious black slug in the water.
2)Word Processor of the Gods. A man who hates his life discovers he can delete or add people and things
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge: A book with a weather element in the title (I'm counting The Mist for this one, since that stands on its own as a book as well!

My favorite stories:

-The Mist
-Cain Rose Up
-Survivor Type
-Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
-The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet

I highly recommend those five stories, but the rest I either feel neutral towards or I actively didn’t enjoy listening to them. Michael C. Hall’s two stories were also highlights (Ballad[...] and
Ron
Skeleton Crew. What a great name for this book of short stories. Many pack a scare. Some not so much. I thought I’d just highlight a few of my favorites:

The Mist - It’s by far the longest “short story” in the collection. Really, it could be called a novella. I’m glad it was included here instead of a novella collection (something that SK has become famous for doing). The Mist starts things off with a bang, or should I say a storm. After the storm comes the mist, and within that mist is the stuff
Joe Valdez
Revisiting Skeleton Crew, Stephen King's collection of twenty-two short stories published in 1985, for the first time since I was in 7th grade -- a time when I was trying to dress like Don Johnson and get Madonna's "Into the Groove" out of my head -- was a wonderful experience. The horror stories I loved as a 12-year-old were each better than I remember. A couple I didn't have the patience for back then became new discoveries. A lot of the stories I never cottoned to are still terrible.

Five
Ashley Daviau
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this definitely isn’t my favourite collection of King short stories, it does have some gems that I really loved. My favourite by far were Nona, The Mist and The Monkey. Something about each of those three stories really got to me and sunk their claws deep into me. The rest of the stories were quite enjoyable as well but they just didn’t leave me with the same delicious feeling of unease as the three stories I mentioned above.
Latasha
Some stories were awesome and some not so much but none were terrible.

I reread some of these and finished the book. I bumped my rating up from 3 stars to 4. I really enjoyed this collection. my favorite 2 were the mist and GRAMMA. OMG that one was so good and unexpected. the only one I didn't care for was the jaunt. I didn't listen to the whole story so it may have been great but spacey stuff just isn't my thing. Dylan Baker reading the milkman stories was FANTASTIC!! Because of his stellar
Bri | bribooks
I finished Skeleton Crew with tears in my eyes. I thought I'd read "The Reach" — the story that closes out this collection — before, but I guess I hadn't. It was an entirely new experience for me, and it packed quite the emotional wallop. As I write this review I'm still trying to mentally recover from that one, so pardon me if my thoughts are a little scattered. My Fornit died, and I'm stuck doing the job myself.

By the time this collection was published in 1985, Stephen King was a bona-fide
B Schrodinger
Stephen King seems to be a bit hit and miss with me. Sometimes there can be a Joyland and sometimes there can be a Under the Dome. But they have never been bad or unreadable, just seemingly poor, rushed and formulaic. I am noticing that I like his more modern tales greater than his 80s and 90s huge output.

So here is a short story collection from that time. The time where it seems like he was writing a book every couple of months. And it was just how I find myself feeling about all of his works.
Rebecca McNutt
Skeleton Crew is your pretty standard Stephen King collection. Honestly at this point, I've read so many of his works that it's getting easier to understand his pattern and to know what to expect. Still, the "Master of Horror" does present some genuinely well-written and compelling stories here, as well as some of those which inspired media adaptations later on. Skeleton Crew is a bit different than some of King's usual stories, grounded more in reality and the horrors capable by mankind itself ...more
Bri | bribooks
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

By the time this collection was published in 1985, Stephen King was a bona-fide
Kenchiin
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this I must confess that: it was quite cathartic.
One of those of books you need to put down for a second when you finish a chapter just to think about what you've just read.
Adam Light
I first read this collection about a thousand years ago while I was a sophomore or junior in high school. That was the mid-late eighties, and my Stephen King fascination was in full bloom. Now, nearly thirty years later, I am rereading all of King's books mostly in chronological order, attempting to recapture the ecstasy I felt upon reading them initially.
To my delight, Skeleton Crew has withstood the effects of the passage of time, held up impressively, in fact.
This collection of stories, most
Brandon
I used to have an aversion to short story collections. I’m not sure what has changed, but we’re five months into 2018 and I’ve just finished my second of the year. Granted, they’re both works from Stephen King, but I’ll take my little victories however I can get them.

Sandwiched between The Talisman and It, Skeleton Crew was King’s lone release in 1985 and his second short story collection. Similar to his prior collection, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew is mostly previously published work with only a
Patrick

19. Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A collection of short stories. I actually think some of King's best work is done in the short form.
Wally Flangers
So, 2 stars on goodreads means “it was ok”…. And that’s exactly what “Skeleton Crew” was. Just ok.... Not great, not even good…. But not absolutely terrible either because there are a six stories in Skeleton Crew that saved it from a “did not like it” rating (ex. The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft, Beachworld, The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands, and Survivor Type)….. After calculating the average of the star ratings that I gave each individual story as I read them, it ended up coming in at 2.6 stars. ...more
Nandakishore Varma
It has been a while since I read this collection, but some stories (not the ones usually cited by reviewers) really frightened me.

1. Here There Be Tygers - We all know that the tiger lurking just beyond the bend in the L-shaped bathroom is only a childhood fantasy. But it's better not to take chances, anyway...

2. The Monkey - Scary toys. Your parents pooh-pooh your fears, but you know that they are out to get you...

3. The Raft - Safety is only metres away, but unreachable all the same.

4. The
Trudi
The Mist; The Jaunt; The Raft; and going for the gross out ... Survivor Type (love it!)
Damien
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a great collection of short stories by the King. We've since seen a number of these made into films - notably The Raft being included in George A Romero's Creepshow 2 and The Mist which was brought to the screen by, he of the Shawshank Redemption adaptation, Frank Darabont. But it is some of the less talked about stories in this collection that shined for me. The Jaunt, which first appeared in The Twilight Zone Magazine in 1981 was a fantastic melding of science fiction and horror that ...more
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Crew is still my overall favorite of Stephen King's short story collections. Several of the stories have been used in film and television (in forms that I actually enjoyed!) and I think that overall he does a good job of maintaining an aura of suspense throughout the collection instead of from story to story. The collection actually starts off with a novella, The Mist, that I used an excerpt from during high school for a competitive forensics dramatic reading that I scored very well ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories that starts with the novella "The Mist." There are a couple of fantastic stories with the rest being good. I didn't enjoy the inclusion of two poems, but overall the ratings averaged out to a solid four. This is King's second short story collection, but I enjoyed his first, "Night Shift", the best.

1.The Mist -I reviewed this where it originally appeared in the anthology "Dark Forces". See my review there. (5/5)

2. Here There Be Tygers - Short and strange. There is a tiger
Rob
Review
I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I am a big fan of Stephen King. I've read two collections by him prior to this one: Hearts in Atlantis and Different Seasons. I thought both of them were stronger collections. The main difference is those contain fewer, but longer stories I think.

This one has been on my radar for a long time, in particular because of The Mist, which is the first (and longest) story. It's actually a Novella, where the rest are short stories. It's supposed to
Rachael
This isn't my favourite collection of King's short stories, but there were a couple of cracking tales in there which really lifted the whole anthology.
The dark and twisted 'Survivor Type' is a huge stand out. How far would you go to survive? What would you be capable of if your only other option was death? I can only hope to never have my mettle tested so far.
The Mist is a great read and that came as a surprise. I was seriously apprehensive about reading it as I'm still suffering some pathetic
Terry
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more like 3.5/5 overall as a group of stories for me. I would give The Mist, The Raft and Gramma 5/5 with the rest all more like 3/5. Worth the read for sure for those three alone.
Ruth Turner

Most of this very long review consists of connections to King's other books, so you might want to skip those. I do them for my own benefit.

Audiobook – Narrated by frank Muller – Excellent narration.

I’ll have to qualify that ‘excellent’ because for some unknown reason The Mist sounds like it’s part of a different recording. The voice is faint and there’s a continuous annoying crackle that makes it sound like it was recorded fifty years ago. And from what I *can* hear it doesn’t sound like Muller.
Doreen Petersen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Wonderful series of short stories. Stephen King is a master at his craft.
Dan
The stories in this book are either hit or miss, but most of them are pretty cool. It’s definitely a better anthology than Night Shift. The stories I enjoyed the most are…

The Reaper’s Image
Nona
Gramma

..However, I would have to say that the best stories in here are The Mist, The Reaper’s Image and Gramma. Stephen King is a master craftsman of the short story. Other anthologies of his I plan to read are:Just After Sunset,Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual: 14
Stephen King Fans: Skeleton Crew - Book 22 11 39 6 hours, 6 min ago
Play Book Tag: Skeleton Crew by Stephen King 4 stars 2 10 Oct 21, 2019 06:21AM
Stephen King Fans: Skeleton Crew 44 273 Feb 25, 2019 07:58AM
Horror Aficionados : Stephen King Challenge #20- Skeleton Crew 98 90 Dec 09, 2017 04:03AM
Stephen King Fans: The Mist -SC 62 446 Aug 20, 2017 07:45AM

• 20th Century Ghosts
  • Full Throttle
  • Ghost Story
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Let the Right One In
  • I Am Legend and Other Stories
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
“A short story is a different thing altogether – a short story is like a quick kiss in the dark from a stranger.” 2434 likes
“There are things of such darkness and horror—just, I suppose, as there are things of such great beauty—that they will not fit through the puny human doors of perception.” 36 likes