Start by marking “Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith” as Want to Read:
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith

Read Book

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (Teachings of Presidents of the Church)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  5,748 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
This is the ninth in a series of books of the teachings of Presidents of the Church. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have established the "Teachings of Presidents of the Church" series to help you deepen your understanding of the restored gospel and draw closer to the Lord through the teachings of latter-day Presidents of the Church. As the Churc ...more
Paperback and online, 586 pages
Published 2007 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Teachings of Presidents of the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings of Presidents of the Church

Lisa
Oct 13, 2008 is currently reading it
I enjoyed the lesson on Sunday about trials. I certainly have mine. Joseph Smith must have been pretty amazing to get up and preach a sermon and baptize 3 people after a night of being beaten, tarred, and feathered. I don't know that I would be up to that. But I guess I can get back up and keep trying when I have trials, the way he did. And keep praying!!!!
Misty Lynne
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved what was there. Would have liked more detail, but that's probably beyond the scope of this book's purpose.
Wendy
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this!
Brian
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stories of faith that endures persecution. I have loved the stories of these remarkable modern prophets, and Joseph Smith was unique, having started it all.
Joseph
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non Member review

I read this because I wanted to know more. I have learned a great deal. May those who read this and The Book of Mormon be richly blessed.
Swhe641200
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reread rhe whole book. What wonderful truths. What a wonderful man
Dad
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
This was an excellent manual reinforcing my testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. There are many testimonies of important men who knew Joseph and were related to him. Some may say if you were related you would give a quick witness of him. I don't believe so. Many relatives would know his good and bad and just might want to testify against him. These didn't.
I have been to his boyhood home in Palmyra, New York, and experienced the sacred and peaceful Sacred Grove where he saw God the Father and
Brent Wilson
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mormons
Good collection of Joseph Smith's thought, selected and organized around some key topics of interest to the current LDS Churh leadership.

I serve in Primary so don't attend regular priesthood meeting sessions where the book is used as a text. My reaction on reading it was - Joseph Smith is remarkably clear and accessible, when comopared against other 19th century thinker/writers of his time (e.g., Jefferson, Lincoln, Emerson, etc.). Then I wondered, why do I find him so clear and straightforward?
Daniel Clark
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Smith was a prophet. You know--the kind that speaks with God and relays a message. If you don't know it's true, you haven't really truly checked. If you haven't checked, maybe you're scared it might be true. As Joseph Smith is quoted as saying in this church manual, "[Mormonism takes] a deep hold in the hearts and affections of all those who are noble-minded enough to lay aside the prejudice of education, and investigate the subject with candor and honesty." I don't think many people can ...more
Celeste Batchelor
Yeah! We've finished studying Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith this year. We have used this book as a core devotional book for religious studies. I have to say, there is a lot of information in this book. My children and I found new nuggets of information, topics to discuss, and new understanding to add to our every day lives.

I highly recommend this book for all people who wish to understand Joseph Smith's teachings and/or wish to know more about the LDS or Mormon church. The
[Name Redacted]
It's a good introduction, both to Joseph Smith Jr.'s life and to his teachings, but it's fairly sparse. Its strengths are probably: the breadth of the teachings included, the attempt to contextualize them historically; and the lack of "Mormon-only" cultural jargon. Judging it as a lesson manual, I'd give it 4 stars; judging it just as a collection of his teachings, I'm going to have to give it 3 stars.

Also worth noting is that I actually got to see an early copy of this, a year or three before
Sandy
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a very compelling book for me. I have read it in its entirety over the past two years as we studied it in Relief Society. It was very thought provoking for me. I enjoyed reading it and I also found the questions at the back of each chapter very insightful. On the surface the book may seem repetitious of doctrines already known and the questions may seem rote, but for me, I found new insights and knowledge as I read the text. I also found that the questions could be answered on two level ...more
Steven Hummer
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religon
LDS.org has the mp3 files for free so having this on my iPod is very neat lets me keep up with the class.
The manual is an easy informative read and has a lesson preperation section at the end of each chapter. ITunes has an application with all of the standerd works and the lesson manuals for free! I love using the itouch version because I can make the print very large. If you are an iPhone or iPod touch owner I highly recommend you pick this app up.
Regardless of the format of you Joseph Smith le
frankoui
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone in the world should read this. It would open their eyes to where we come from, where we are going after our spirit leaves this body, and what it will be like. He was the first prophet chosen to Restore the Kingdom of God for the last time before the second coming. He Restored it April 6, 1830. Fifteen prophets have succeeded him. Read the Book Of Mormon and have an open mind and heart and pray to God for the truth of it, and you will know for yourself. I say this in the name of Jesus Ch ...more
Haley Grizzell
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am grateful for my membership in the Church; and my testimony of it's divinity hinges upon the simple story of the lad under the trees kneeling and receiving heavenly visitors- not one God, but two separate, individual personages, the Father and the Son, revealing again to the earth the personages of the Godhead. My faith and testimony hinge upon this simple story, for if it is not true, Mormonism falls. If it is true- and I bear witness that it is- it is one of the greatest single events in a ...more
Darleen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Smith was such a hero, in my eyes! Accepting the call that he didn't know the magnitude of, and growing with all of its requirements, enduring external persecution, and overcoming the various deaths of his loved ones, and receiving divine revelations, while translating ancient scripture; and being willing to share, with humility, all that life has taught him, while sharing with the saints what God wanted them to know; are some of the things that I read about in this book; I am so glad to ...more
Chelsey Ortega
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is the first book that I have read about Joseph Smith, so far, and I have been a member all my life! This is a great combination of stories from his life, excerpts from letters he has written, excerpts from the revelations he received (also found in the Doctrine and Covenants), and excerpts from the journals of the saints who herd him speak. What a testimony to the truthfulness that he was a prophet!
Heidi
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Last year and this year we have been studying this book in Relief Society/Priesthood Meetings. There are a lot of lessons that I have missed reading from beginning to end, and I'm tempted to start over from the beginning, but it is great! This book is broken up into themed chapters as it is used in a class setting, rather than chronologically.
Craig
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
It's nice to learn more about the man who found his own way (spiritually) before God and taught others to do likewise. Five stars for content. Minus one star for the non-sequitur integration of quotes and sources, some third-hand. These *are* all thoroughly referenced, however, in the (often overlooked) chapter notes.
Jon
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nice to read many of the Prophet Joseph Smith's thoughts on basic church doctrine. It would be interesting to read directly in the History of the Church.

I feel funny rating church books (since there is an inherent bias and since I'm only reading for knowledge vs pleasure) so if anyone knows how to abstain from voting without affecting the rating let me know.
Kimberly
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
I loved being able to read more of Joseph Smith's quotes and the recollections that others had of him. There are truly some great nuggets that really deepened my understanding about some topics. While reading this and learning more about the Prophet's life and the historical background, he really began feeling more real to me than ever.
Shad
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and am grateful for the history and teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It has probably taken me longer to read this book than any other book I remember reading. I think that was, in part, because I was not yet ready to learn some of the teachings therein until relatively recently. I highly recommend it to all seekers of truth.
Jami Lowe
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i learned so much about this awesome man! my appreciation has abounded exponentially. I'm so grateful for his courage, faith, trust and love of the Lord to help restore the true church of God. how prepared he was to listen and receive revelation and guidance from our Lord. I've learn a lot about strength and what it truly means to be an instrument in the Lords hands.
Magila
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
This is a good book for anyone interested in an overview of Joseph Smith's actual teachings (Joseph Smith was the founder, or restorer, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - or Mormons). It was church sponsored, and is generally available free or for only a few dollars. It lacks the depth of the older Teachings of Joseph Smith book, and is organized topically.
Galaxyflyer
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is really cool I wish I could read books in a day, but then I would comprehend vary little of it.
I have only read parts of it, only chapters 27, 41,45 in my personal study. I have to figure out how to make all my studies fit in my time. It will be cool when I do.
Tanya
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I had the privilege to teach from this book for Relief Society lessons for two years. I am amazed at the breadth of Knowledge Joseph Smith had. I felt I learned so much in that two years.
Wayne Barrow
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone who wants to know the true thinking of the Prophet of the Restoration. Down to earth and steeped in gospel principles. How could you not appreciate his contribution to history and religion and ultimately, or salvation.
Becky
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a lot of the same stories you always hear about his life. I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of the quotes and I thought the lessons were put together in a very appealing way- kind of a fresh outlook on topics we talk a lot about.
Kristelle
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I was grateful for the chance to study about Joseph Smith and his teachings. Some of the material in the book is not public or readily available. I truly feel like I have a better testimony of the Prophet Joseph now.
Jen
Sep 01, 2011 added it
I was chasing Lydia around the hallways for the first half and then in Primary during the second half. The few chapters I have read on my own were great, though. I need to sit down and read the entire thing.
  • Truth Restored
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • The Holy Temple
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley

Teachings of Presidents of the Church (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young

$7.99 $1.99
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
    $9.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
“We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons.” 6 likes
“Do not be discouraged on account of the greatness of the work; only be humble and faithful,” 2 likes