Start by marking “More Than A Bird” as Want to Read:
More Than A Bird

More Than A Bird

Scared, abused and taken to the limit of a person’s capacity to endure tragedy, Elizabeth “Liz” Huntley reveals the perils of a childhood that would lead most to a broken life or premature death. Liz, now a successful attorney at a prestigious southern law firm, recounts her journey from unimaginable darkness to radiance thanks to the early intervention of teachers, a past ...more
Published July 29th 2015

To ask other readers questions about More Than A Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than A Bird

Cole Peck
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have had the distinct pleasure of working with Liz on this wonderful book for the past year. While the experience I gained with her was exceedingly valuable for my writing ambitions, the hope she inspired in me and so many others has proved to be the greatest treasure of all. And that hope is accessible to anyone who reads her beautiful story.

Liz's memoir stands at the intersection of so many of today's most pressing issues. By showing the impact it had on her life, Liz proves the essential be
Debbie Lesley
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It Can Be Done

I read this ebook because I will hear the author speak at an International Convention of Alpha Delta Kappa, an honorary teacher organization. I preface my review with that because as a teacher, I have taken poverty workshops where the implication is once you are second to third generation in poverty, there is no way out. The author proves this wrong....so good to see.

The author lived a life that might have led to a deeper dive into poverty but early in her life, she knew there was
Killian
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktubeathon
This was an inspirational book by a woman who has overcome so much, and isn't afraid to lay the praise of all her accomplishments at God's feet. I heard her speak a few months ago, and am so glad I decided to read her book. The writing itself isn't amazing prose, and I would have liked more details and a more fleshed out setting, so I could really feel the details. But as it was, and growing up in Alabama myself though with the privilege the color of my skin has given me, her story touched me. S ...more
Amy Nicole
I got this book while seeing Liz Huntley speak at a conference, and I was blown away. Liz tells her story of childhood trauma and pain to give hope and show how you can overcome. She focuses heavily on the influence of teachers throughout her life as well as her faith in God. This was a powerful memoir, and I was just as immersed in her book as I was captivated by her as a speaker.

She wrote this book was intended to be read even by young kids, so there were some things that she mentioned in the
Connie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Liz Huntley was the speaker at our school institute day and she was such an amazing speaker. I feel the same about her writing. It is her story... but so many of our students we teach every day, it’s their story too. A wonderful story of determination, love, and how we each might be the one person that helps that one student survive....succeed....soar!!!
Faye
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting Author, Liz Huntley. A must read for educators and others that are involved with children and families. It's a reality check to treat people kind and to be inspiring. Prayer changes things.
Barbara
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

A quick read. I highly recommend this book for an inspirational boost to help you remember that you can overcome your circumstances if you have God, determination and that right attitude.
Sandy Stephenson
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would love to meet this woman. Her autobiography is inspiring.
Shelley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing quick read! Truly inspirational from someone who had a horrible upbringing but made the best of every situation. Great book!
Merideth
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
Amanda Lee
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love!!!

A must read for all educators! If you ever have the opportunity to hear Mrs. Hundley speak don't miss it.
Larry
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspirational biography of Liz Huntley’s life growing up in Alabama. Story of the many obstacles that she was able to overcome.
Linda
Short, small book full of huge inspiration. Quote that sums up this book: "on the wings of God, there is no height you cannot reach". Excellent book!
Teresa
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Courageous and compelling story of a child who succeeded because of her inner strength and the help of those who God placed in her path. If you get an opportunity to hear Liz speak, go! I am thankful for those teachers who change lives for the better and I thank Liz for what she does to pay it forward.
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars for its inspiring message. Liz Huntley overcame a childhood of poverty and emotional neglect to win college scholarships and become a successful lawyer, wife and mother. Her remarkable story of spiritual strength will be an inspiration and encouragement to anyone who reads it.
Joan Carlton
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a brave accounting of a young woman's life growing up in my home town. This book should be a must read for every young African American boy or girl. It is so inspiring for all ages. I could feel her pain, but I could also weep in joy with her outcome! Excellent book!
Linda Daughtry
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly remarkable testimony of overcoming and rising above horrible circumstances. Liz's story should be a must read for anyone facing hard times.
Debra Goldstein