Start by marking “Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)

Sebastian

(Family of Lies #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,767 ratings  ·  397 reviews
Sebastian Orwell did the only thing a smart wizard could do when he stumbled upon the wounded Crown Prince: he healed him and dumped him in a tavern where he could continue not being Sebastian's problem. Unfortunately, the prince isn't content with being alive, and he hunts Sebastian down to thank him personally. Not only is Sebastian stuck with the prince's unwanted affec ...more
Published March 18th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Sebastian, please sign up.
Faron Antoine-shrieves There is at least one more book. According to Sam Argent's tweets, it is currently being written.

really liked it 4.00  ·

Julio Genao
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of snappy comebacks and chewy fantasy plots
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
that time i spent all night cackling like a witch.

description

family, amirite?

so, last night i was all sad and angry over this motherfucker ex, all heartbroke and bitter—tossing and turning, the betrayed expression on my face i could fucking feel without having to look in a mirror bcuz emo dominican with mental health issues—with the pettish scrolling through an endless yet meticulously-curated ibook library of garbage, looking for something to put me to sleep—the sudden recollection that i'd tried to read
☆ Todd
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Well, not really, but it sort of felt that way to me.

This well-paced, action-packed M/M fantasy novel kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish and I thoroughly enjoyed the read, which clocked in at a bit over 320 pages.

Sebastian is a cursed young wizard who hides his magic from the world behind a spelled cape, a sharp mind and a wicked tongue, while being relentlessly pursued by a very handsome, also magical, prince Turren.

A lot of the action in the
M
Why is this book so popular? It's terrible. A new person is introduced roughly every 4 sentences. And the main guy has so many siblings, I gave up trying to remember who was who after a while. I had no idea what was going on at any point. The plot is unintelligible, the characters unlikable. Except for a couple of pretty memorable sex scenes, it did nothing for me.
ttg
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviews, m-m
4.5 stars - Surprisingly, this might be one of my fave reads of the year. Surprisingly because I had some issues, but in the end, I really enjoyed it. For fantasy fans, it can be a fun ride.

Do you like fantasy? If so, that’s good, because I think that might be necessary. This is based in a magical world with wizards, the fey, trolls, and other magical beings. There is little-to-no-explanation or exposition about the world and all the magical beings, so you have to either go in with some idea of
Jenni Lea
Oh, how I loved this book! What fun it was! And I don't even care that I didn't understand what the hell was going on half the time! It was that good! This ticked ALL of my boxes! The wit! The snark! The banter! The feels! I loved EVERYONE in this book, every single character! I loved this so much I am ending every sentence with an exclamation point!

READ THE BOOK!!!
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
"My family is dinner theater at its worst. "

Sebastian Orwell already has a small history with Prince Turren from when they were children and brawled over a book of all things, but he can't resist saving the Prince from death when he finds hims injured and dying. Not wanting to be recognized or associated with his heroics, he dumps the recovering Prince off at the local tavern, dusts his hands off at the whole ordeal, and calls it a day. Or so he thinks. Because Prince Turren knows enough to go b
Mary
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's amazing about this book is that it's like watching a movie with adventure, action, fun snappy dialogue as well as romance. I loved grouchy, snarky, good-hearted Sebastian and his insane family, Prince Turren is a true romantic hero and figuring out the mystery while falling into the rich world that the author has created was a gift. I'm going to read it over and over so I'm glad my paperback arrived. I hope there's more, I can hardly wait. Highly recommended.
Ije the Devourer of Books
This was fabulous but in a really low key way and understated way.

It is fantasy with magic, kingdoms and intrigue but it has an amusing caste of characters and a warm hearted romance at its core. I also like the opposites attract element of the story.

The world building is interesting and unique with all kinds of different magic spells, magic places and a young man who is able to wield deep and strong magic but hides it from his family and cloaks himself.

It took me time to understand why he hid
Kiron
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this book from the glowing reviews and having enjoyed the first few chapters, but it ended up being very disappointing.

For a fantasy book, it sadly lacked world building and desriptions of people and places. I wanted to know more about the magical forest that Sebastian's family owned, and why Sebastian had powers over plants and trees. Some explanation of the magic system would've been nice, too. Maybe it was explained somewhere in the 300 pages I skimmed
Sofia
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 shiny happy stars for this fun read, which made me smile, made me laugh, made me happy.

I had a full load of work to do this week and the thought of getting to this book during my breaks was really something I looked forward too.

a happy BR with Maya - thanks honey
M'rella
This was edited? I wonder what the original looks like.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This book was so much fun! The entire family was legit hilarious. Totally recommend.
wesley

This was a very long read but I wish it could have been longer. IT'S ONE OF THE BEST FANTASY BOOKS I'VE READ TO DATE! I love how it didn't focus only on Sebastian and Turren's relationship while the rest of the characters just blended in with their story. No! For me, this is a story of family and how blood will always be thicker than water no matter what. And my, Sebastian's family is a circus! Literally. Seriously, every character had their own personality which I find very endearing. Although

Jaylee
Ugh. So this book gets a TON of glowing reviews, which baffles me. Afraid I'm going to have to be the dissenting voice in the crowd.

This book needed a thorough editing. It's nearly entirely dialogue, with only brief descriptions when the characters are kissing/sexing. The dialogue wouldn't have been too awful, except there were about a zillion characters. I think the protagonist had 8(?) siblings? And a few of them were married and their husbands/wives were in the story. Plus his parents, and th
Qwen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**** I fell in love with Sebastian from the first page I didn't want this book to end!!!!! I sincerely hope there is more where this came from!!! A deserved 5 stars I haven't enjoyed as many books as I would have like this year (2015) but this ranks with the top of them!
Mandapanda
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-romance
3.75 stars. Loads of sardonic humour and quips in this fresh m/m fantasy. Loved the dynamic between surly disinterested Sebastian and noble devoted Prince Turren. The start was confusing. Felt like I was dumped into the action with no explanation of who anyone was or what was going on and it took quite a while to feel engaged. There is a lack of descriptiveness and mood in the writing and I think that's what kept me at a distance emotionally. Still one of the better m/m fantasies out there.
Anyta Sunday
Once I got used to the whip-fast pacing, I fell in love with this book and storyworld! The banter is so engaging, and the romance between Prince Turren and Sebastian is perfectly developed. LOVED it.
Alona
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
I love enemies-to-lovers stories, AND I adore friends-to-lovers stories too. This book was sort of a combination and it was great!
It started with the MCs as childhood rivals (so sweet!) and continue with them when they are around 20 years old.

I think the problem for me was when too many side characters kept coming into the story and It took me a while to know who each of them is (one of the MCs have 12 siblings with parts in the story)
Another thing was that between 15-40% it was a litt
Ari
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
2,5*
The only thing that I care and understand in this story is Sebastian & Turren!
Their banters were amusing, their sexing were sweet and hot at the same time!

But the rest of the story were blur to me...

By the end of the story I was frowning because there're unanswered questions left
- Why Sebastian hide his magic when practicing magic was common thing, everybody learns and uses magic
- Why Ophelia treated like China doll, what's the deal about her, is it because she sometimes got vision?
- I d
Renée
3.5 stars,This was scatter-brained story-telling, but I liked it. I mean, it is literally all over the place. But I just didn't have a fuck to give because it was so damn charming!

There are 11 siblings - 11!! They are the snarkiest bunch you'll ever meet. And their relationship with their parents. The snark people, the snark! I was all smiles reading this.

Wizards, evil immortals, princes, and more. I honestly couldn't put it down. Sebastian is the youngest of 12 (11 living). He still lives with
Maya

If you are ok spending 300 pages with a bunch of cheeky smartasses who have no problem poisoning or casting spells on those around them so they can further their agendas (or, sometimes, just because they can); who in the midst of assassination attempts against their Prince are perfectly comfortable to wine, dine, and place bets on the intimate life of the said Prince, then you’ll enjoy this book.

I certainly did.

It’s an entertaining story about a dysfunctional family, with hilarious dialogue, an
Paul
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
OK this book is just a fun, fun, fun fantasy. It's a great read
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
This was cute and snarky....loved the banter. I spent most of the book happily confused and it was wonderful.
Natasha
Uh, no. Surprisingly, no.

Spoilers?

I need more MM fantasy in my life, but not like this. Never like this.
I put it down a few chapters in. I'd like to say that I'll give it another chance, but I probably won't. After the prologue, it went downhill for me.

Clumsy sentence structure. Bad pacing. Just awkward setup for too many things in the story to keep me from pulling hairs.
Maybe it gets better? I'll likely never find out.

Prologue: Was I initially supposed to feel bad for the loss of something the
DaisyGirl
Read two chapters and ... Nuh-uh. Sebastian is an arrogant prick and the world-building is nil (read: ZERO). Fantasy without world building? Don't waste my time!
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really, really wanted to like this way more than I did. I loved the idea, love the characters but the persistent use of dialogue was a chore to wade through. I wanted more description, more scene setting and less yaking. I think if it was a manga, or comic it would have totally worked. Then I would have had more of a clue about setting and world building. As it was, this ended up a little disappointing.
One extra star for creative use of berries.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

A rip-roaring adventure that started off a bit slow but eventually had me enthralled with wit, sarcasm, ridiculously engaging characters, sexytimes, an interesting plot & magic. It had a fairy-tale feel, without being sugar-sweet or making the MCs behave "appropriately" and the HEA was hard-won but believable. I don't know if it was intentional, but that scene with the bad guy near the end had me thinking of The Princess Bride and it was a wonderful homage if so.

The Orwell Family is
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

For all that this is a high fantasy novel with Mages, Fey, Trolls, Wizards and more, and that this is also definitely a mystery to be unraveled, it's also got a very nice bit of romance as well.

Take one ornery wizard, add a headstrong Crown Prince with his own agenda, and a meddling family and you have the recipe for a thoroughly entertaining story. When you also add a seriously talented narrator to the mix it's practically magical!

magic

I don't want to give anything away, part of it's charm for me wa
Karl
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars rounded up. This isn't the typical MM romance from Dreamspinner- romance, while being the thread that ties the story together, is not front and center. For a longish novel, there is just a smattering of on-page sex (which is not necessarily a negative- depends on what you're looking for). My go-to literary genre has always been fantasy and strictly speaking, I'm not sure that this is entirely successful as a fantasy novel. Fantasy novels are notoriously tome-ish because of the world b ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: Family of Lies: Sebastian, by Sam Argent 2 23 Jun 17, 2018 10:49AM
Dreamspinner Press: Family of Lies: Sebastian by Sam Argent 1 29 Mar 18, 2015 09:18AM

• Consorting With Dragons
  • Reawakening (Reawakening, #1)
  • Burn the Sky (Wytch Kings, #1)
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Of Last Resort (Princes of the Blood, #1)
  • The Winter Prince
  • Betrothed: A Faery Tale
  • Weregild (Wolf's-own, #2)
  • Recipe for Magic
  • The Errant Prince
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Beyond the Rift (Elemental Lovers #1)
  • Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2)
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • Treasure
  • Lord Mouse
Sam Argent is a ball of gluttony who devours delicious food and great books to find whatever pleasure she can in a world getting crazier by the minute. Over the years, she got tired of characters like her dying tragically or excluded from fiction due to “historical accuracy” while totz real creatures such as zombies got a pass. Being a hip writer who still says totz, Sam gathered all of her perver ...more
“But you can never do anything like that again. You can’t teach me love and then die on me. That is unacceptable!” 11 likes
“Mother always said it was better to know how little a man thought of you than how much.” 0 likes