Start by marking “Mördersiche Angst (Kate Burkholder, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mördersiche Angst (Kate Burkholder, #6)

Mördersiche Angst

(Kate Burkholder #6)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  9,558 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews
1979: Ein amischer Vater und vier seiner Kinder sterben bei einem missglückten Raubüberfall. Seine Frau wird von den Tätern entführt und nie wieder gesehen. Allein der vierzehnjährige Sohn Billy Hochstetler überlebt diese grausame Nacht.
2014: Jeder in Painters Mill weiß, dass es auf der verlassenen Farm der Familie Hochstetler spukt. Aber nur einige wenige wissen, was dam
Audible Audio
Published July 2015 by Argon Verlag (Audible) (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mördersiche Angst, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Desirée Boom
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jess☺️ No this is not the latest book in the series this is only book 6 there are another 3 and a new one out very soon.
The others you need are after the…more
The others you need are after the storm (book7) among the wicked (book8) Down a dark road (book9) and the new one A gathering of secrets.
I hope you enjoy this series as much as I do ☺️(less)

·  9,558 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews

Thomas
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-rural-crime
4.5 stars for a book that grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The prologue describes a brutal home invasion, with robbers in search of Amish cash. Amish don't trust banks. The father is killed and the mother is kidnapped. Four of the children die in a fire. Over 30 years later, threatening notes start to be delivered to 3 men and 1 woman: "I know what you did." As you read further, you realize that these people were involved in the home invasion and somebody knows.
The person who is bent
Sue
I was so fortunate to win a copy of "The Dead Will Tell" (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Costillo through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This novel has it all; mystery, suspense, murder, serial-killer thriller. This novel grabbed my interest right from the beginning and didn't let go until I read the last word.

Fourteen year old Billy Hochstetler and his little eight year old brother, heard something in the middle of the night. Billy goes downstairs to investigate and found his dutch parents at t
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
I just love this series. It is one of my faves!

Highly recommended

My review is on the first book Sworn to Silence, which will give you in more detail what this series is about. Each book in the series is a different story that is a great thriller and mystery.
Barbara

In this sixth book in the 'Kate Burkholder' series, the Police Chief investigates when a murderer targets pillars of the community. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

The book starts out with a horrific crime: a 1979 home invasion of the Amish Hochstetler farm in Painters Mill, Ohio. A group of teens break in to steal cash and the night ends with a family slaughtered, a mother abducted, and a lone survivor - a 14-year-old boy. Fast forward 35 years and the perpetrators of the crime, now r
Juli
The Dead Will Tell is the sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series. Kate is the police chief in Painters Mill, Ohio. She grew up Amish, but left the faith as a teenager. Now she's back, running the local police department. In The Dead Will Tell, Kate is investigating a string of bizarre murders. The victims were stalked first. All received notes accusing them of being complicit in a crime. The case somehow ties in with a break-in at an Amish farm 35 years before that resulted in several deaths. ...more
Liz
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m continuing to enjoy this series. Castillo’s strength is in the descriptions she paints. You literally feel you are at the scene. Note that some of these scenes are extremely graphic, so this is not a book for the squeamish.

This is the first of the Burkholder books I’ve listened to. The narrator does a very good job. And the book is told at a nice steady pace, so it makes it easy to listen and stay focused (important to me on the road). I figured out some aspects of the mystery early on but
Jim
The sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series and it keeps getting better. In many ways this reminded me of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. With an avenging ghost?

The story opens in 1979 with a home invasion of the Hochstetler family in Painters Mill, Ohio. A group of teens break into the home in the middle of the night. The Hochstetler's are Amish, pacifists, and don't use banks. Rumors have it that they have a lot of money stashed in the home. Easy pickings. Until things go horribly wrong with t
Kaceey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No. 6 in the series. Oh how I love this!
Taking place in the Pennsylvania Amish countryside, It's a two-for-one.
You get a murder mystery wrapped up with an insider's look at the Amish culture.
Kate, the local sheriff attempts to solve a series of related homicides that have a common thread leading back to a horrific murder of an Amish family over 30 years ago.
Do you believe in ghosts?
Can the Ghost of the Amish mother be back seeking revenge or justice?
I highly recommend this series, from sta
Carol
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continue to enjoy this series. It would have rated 4 stars if I did not peg the murderer. Perhaps #7 will strike a better chord.
Diane S ☔
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Another series that I anxiously await the next and newest installment. A good mix of mystery, personality and personal relationships, and the Amish culture.

A look at an evil done to an Amish family in the past that has a high cost for the perpetrators in the future. The long and far reaching effects of hatred and revenge. A good, solid and quick read.
Sherri Thacker
I love this whole series that Kate Burkholder is in but this book didn’t pull me in like the others did. Not sure why but I just expected more. This is the 6th book in this series. I hated to not finish it but it just wasn’t holding my interest so I threw in the towel. DNF at page 172
Brenda
Four months previously, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder had moved into the farmhouse with State Agent John Tomasetti; their love had blossomed to the stage where Kate felt able to make the commitment. Tomasetti was still tortured by his past, but was coming to terms with those demons – that was, until one of the men responsible for his torment was released from jail on a technicality, walking free.

Confused and uncertain as to how to pacify Tomasetti’s anger and grief, Kate was torn when she was
Judy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery from Castillo concerning people from the Amish community. Police Chief Kate Burkholder, because of her background is able to bridge the gap between the Amish and the "English." Kate's love interest adds a roller-coaster experience to her life. I really enjoy these characters and the mysteries.
Tanya Lamnin
Lauren
The Dead Will Tell
4 Stars

When a man is found hung in his barn, Painter’s Mill Chief of Police Kate Burkholder naturally assumes that it is suicide until evidence on the body indicates foul play. Soon all the clues start pointing to a 35 year old homicide in which a man and his 4 children were killed and the mother disappeared without a trace. The discovery of a second victim suggests to Kate that someone it out for justice and has no qualms about how they get it.

A solid thriller with an exciting
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a SOLID 4.5 read and I'm adding another 1/2 star because it is one of the best series out there. If, for some reason, you never started the Kate Burkholder series-- do yourself a favor and pick up book number one and enjoy the ride. Being that the characters are constantly growing and evolving it is best to start this series from book one ( IMO)

There isn't any more to say except " Great read Linda Castillo" and keep on writing!!!!
Julie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own, vine
The Kate Burkholder series just keeps getting better! A string of murders is somehow connected to a horrific thirty-five year old unsolved crime. Could the victims be seeking revenge? I loved the ghost story element in this book (although I quickly realized that ghosts don’t leave footprints). Every time I thought I had things figured out, there were twist and turns in the plot that completely surprised me.

There is unrest between Kate and Tomasetti that added some angst to the overall story, bu
Pamela
Without fail Linda Castillo once again delivers a winner with "The Dead Will Tell," book 6 in the "Kate Burkholder" series; and what a stunning series this is. One of my favourites. I could write an in-depth review, but in all honesty there's nothing more I can say that I haven't already said in my reviews for the previous novels. Just that if you love reading novels full of mystery and suspense, you have to read this series. Her novels will grip you, and keep you engaged right up until the ...more
Rae
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Will Tell, the sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo, is about a 30-year-old unsolved murder in Painter’s Mill. When the dead seem to come back to life, tensions run high, and Kate Burkholder is on the case.

As with Castillo’s other books in this series, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was an exciting cat and mouse game, trying to figure out who the killer was before they struck again. The writing was impeccable, and the pacing was wonderful.

The Dead Will Tell ope
Wendy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this 6th book in her Kate Burkholder series!
Jess☺️
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 6 in this Kate Burkholder series and it just gets better each time I may even like this one better than the last.
This is a more full on hell bent on revenge book just how I like them and my god I never seen the ending coming the way it did.
A great series so far I can't believe it took me this long to find it.
Tammie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, adult, mystery
Everyone in Painters Mill knows the abandoned Hochstetler farm is haunted. But only a handful of the residents remember the terrible secrets lost in the muted/hushed whispers of time—and now death is stalking them, seemingly from the grave.

3.5 stars. After reading the last book, and with the way it ended I was expecting Kate to still be worried about that secret from her past being discovered, but there wasn't any mention of it at all in this book. Instead, it's Tomasetti who has something fro
Susan Johnson
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intruders break into the lonely Amish home of the Hochstetlers one night intent on stealing the profits of the family's successful furniture business. The night takes a horrific turn for the worse and even greater crimes than robbery occur. The lasting effects on all participants last the next 30+ years.

Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police of Painters Mill, is a former Amish and speaks the language which helps the Amish population in her community. She has moved in with a fellow policeman, John Tom
Elizabeth
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police Chief Kate Burkholder and the Painters Mill police department have their hands full when three brutal murders occur within a short period of time. Wooden Amish dolls are found left by the serial killer with each victim, indicating a connection to the unsolved murder of an Amish family that took place over 30 years ago.

While Kate works to find the killer before more lives are lost, she must also deal with a cranky town council member who is being threatened, and her fragile relationship wi
Dianne
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I have loved the Kate Burkholder series since it first came out. It was fresh and new, something you don't read every day. Murders in an Amish community. Each book was devoured in hours, until this one. Please don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed myself and even found myself pleasantly surprised that I was wrong when I thought I knew who the murderer was. The writing was as usual, the dry humor was there and so was a horrendous prologue and many more deaths to follow. An interesting thing was how ...more
Mayda
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make sure you have few empty hours to fill, because once you begin reading this tale, you won’t be able to put the book down until you have finished it. In this suspenseful mystery, Kate catches a murder case that seems to be linked to a cold case involving a home invasion of an Amish family. As Kate’s investigation develops, secrets kept for 35 years slowly come to light and the guilty are panic-stricken, not by the law but by a ghost. Kate has her own ghosts to chase away when her lover Tomase ...more
Donna
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery

3.5 stars.

This is my second Linda Castillo novel. I've also read one of her novellas. I like the MC, Kate Burkholder. As the MC, she is perfect. By that I mean she is true to character, even when things appear upside down, she is consistent in her actions. I liked the other characters as well. The author can write unique and memorable characters. I also appreciated the fact that they were able to make progress in that area and that the love interest wasn't sappy.

My dislikes with this book lies
Sheila
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Linda Castillo writes a stunner that snagged me and held on through the entire book. I wish there were more than 6 books in this series. I highly recommend this entire series.
Kate
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the definition of a 5 star reads. One of those ones when you’re not at home reading it you can’t wait to get home so you can keep reading it. I also think this book is exactly what the series needed to shake things up and keep the reader engaged. This really is some of Linda Castillo’s finest work and goes to show what an amazing author she is. One of the reasons I love series is because you see the ups and downs of the authors writing and just when you think they’re going to let y ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars

Yet another enjoyable book in this addictive mystery series. I did correctly guess the ending of this one, even though it was a little far-fetched. These are still very entertaining novels.

However, I've begun to notice that Castillo overuses certain phrases in her writing. Also, I personally could skip the romance subplot, which always takes away from the grittiness of these stories.
Discrepancy in THE DEAD WILL TELL 4 79 Oct 05, 2014 04:20PM

• Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • Danger in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #3)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Fall from Pride (Home Valley, #1)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • What You See (Jane Ryland, #4)
  • Kingdom Come (Elizabeth Harris Mystery #1)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Silence (Faces of Evil, #0.5)
  • Fisherman's Bend (Jane Bunker Mystery #2)
  • Murder, Simply Stitched (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)
  • Blind Rage (Bernadette Saint Claire #2)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)