Start by marking “The Indestructible Houseplant: 200 Beautiful Plants that Everyone Can Grow” as Want to Read:
The Indestructible Houseplant: 200 Beautiful Plants that Everyone Can Grow

The Indestructible Houseplant: 200 Beautiful Plants that Everyone Can Grow

Tovah Martin has weeded through the world of indoor plants to find over 200 options tough enough for anyone to grow.The American Gardener

Brown thumb? No problem. The Indestructible Houseplant is packed with indoor plants that are tough, beautiful, reliable, and virtually impossible to kill. In addition to plant profiles with concise information on water, light, and
Published July 24th 2015 by Timber Press (first published June 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Indestructible Houseplant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indestructible Houseplant

Start your review of The Indestructible Houseplant: 200 Beautiful Plants that Everyone Can Grow
Lorilin
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home, garden
I'm slowly figuring out how to mentally survive the long Chicago winters (though this year hasn't been so bad). Part of my plan is to build up an indoor collection of houseplants so I get some green in my life while the outside world looks bare. I started with two plants, and now I have over twenty. Most of them are doing really well. I like the challenge of figuring out what they need: how much light, how much water, how much humidity, etc. It's been a good learning experience, and it makes our ...more
Christopher Shawn
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As part of my desire to make my apartment into something more homey, I've been trying to grow a few houseplants. I'm not very good at it. I have the blood of many poor plants on my hands. I picked this up almost in desperation, and I'm so glad I did. It's got big beautiful pictures, easy to understand instructions, and enough good advice that I haven't killed my latest batch of houseplants yet!
Melissa
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I wasnt crazy about the overly chatty and slightly judgmental tone (what do you have against spider plants, lady?) of this book but I got a lot of good information out of it. ...more
Erika
Ive decided i need to try some houseplants instead of simply bring outside plants inside ( hint: most of the time it doesnt work). This book left me with an instant list of appealing candidates to bring some life and greenery to my home. Now to be brave and buy one :)
Tom Donaghey
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
THE INDESTRUCTIBLE HOUSEPLANT by Tovah Martin has arrived in the mail just in time and is chock full of information about the hardiest of plants. I say just in time because my youngest son is in the process of moving into his own place (Finally!!!) and I know he both wants a few plants to brighten up his rooms and he will almost never take care of them.
Hence there is the need for a book just like this, or, in fact, this one.
Besides the 200 plants mentioned herein (Everything from the African
Charlie
Just about every household has some sort of indoor plant. We do. Some die, some live. This book can definitely help you to make the right decisions for your indoor plants to survive a better life. Most likely you will see some plants in this book that you have now or tried to nurture at one time. Now you have a running chance to help your plants grow better and survive a longer time.
This book - THE INDESTRUCTIBLE HOUSEPLANT - is just that, to help make your plants Indestructible.

AND yes I won
Bridgette
I know some people just love this book, but for me it didn't provide. The author spent more time on how she arranged the plants and the containers used than giving information about the plants themselves.
Kristina
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm looking forward to trying out some of these plants!
Monica Willyard Moen
This book describes and gives care instruction for around 200 houseplants that need little daily attention or excessive water and schedules. The author asserts that these plants fit into our hectic lives while offering gracious beauty in our homes. The plants mentioned in this book tend to be flowers, ferns, and various members of the cactus or succulent families. There are no vegetable or herb plants discussed in this book.
Aja Marsh
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've been feeling like cozying up the house with more plants, but even though i enjoy gardening, i'm not a devoted houseplant mom and we live in a dry climate with no good plant windowsills. so i was pleased to come across this at a spring/plant/gardening oriented display at the library. great photos, lots of info, and solid, down-to-earth content. will be taking this with me to the plant nursery!
Bethany
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-list
This is one of my favorite houseplant encyclopedias. I have several of the varieties mentioned, so I can confirm their indestructibility, and I loved that the writing was so full of personal experience.
Hana
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
I've got a great list of plants to go and buy now! Loved how helpful this book was.
Iowa City Public Library
From Beth F.:

"Winters are long in Iowa. By the time the middle of February comes around, Mother Nature begins to tease us with bright sunny days. But look at a calendar and youll see that we are still more than a month away from Spring.

If youre itching to get your hands in the garden there is something you can do now that might make it feel like spring get a new houseplant! Tovah Martins new book The Indestructible Houseplant 200 beautiful plants that everyone can grow is for all the
Julie Brock
This wasn't a *bad* book, but it would have been more compelling if I hadn't already killed several of the "indestructible" houseplants that she promotes. As for the remaining plants, about a third of them are butt-ugly. Even so, I came up with a decent list of more victims, I mean plants, to try to sustain. Time will tell.
Michelle Lenz
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiration

This is the book I've been looking for! I have terrible lighting in my home and Tovah helped me select several beautiful hearty plants to liven up my space. Every section gives favorite varieties, display suggestions, and specific requirements; all while being a really entertaining read. Highly recommend
Blair
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
While I loved my four-legged children more than anything in the world, after losing the ones that ate all houseplants/flowers/produce, I decided it was time to get some houseplants. This was really helpful, gave a lot of good options and advice, and was very down-to-earth. I'm not as scared of the process at this point and I'm off to find my first houseplant!
Gienah Ghurab
Beautiful pictures, but most of what I absorbed from the material was how Ms Martin arranged the plants. There was some info about what needed sandy vs peaty soil, but not a lot about different varieties of the same plants nor how to deal with propagation or health issues (yellow leaves, etc.) Also although I've had great luck with many of the plants mentioned I have killed at least 3 begonias.
Rose Langill
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I cannot keep a plant alive and always envied my step mom's plants in her house. This book has helped me figure out what the best plants for me are and how to care for them. This is a perfect book for a non green thumb person who wants flowers and plants to live in their space.
Jessica Allen
Martin's book offers some good information but it was rather annoying to wade through her analogies, overuse of the word 'kinky,' and mentions of Einstein ( her cat). Otherwise it is a pretty great resource for choosing relatively common houseplants that will survive just about anything.
Agatha Lund
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening, 2016
I love all Tovah Martin's books but I have managed to destroy a number of these plants. Several of them several times.
Melissa Embry
For every gardener with a case of the midwinter blues, Tovah Martin has a cure. In this case, The Indestructible Houseplant, her compilation of trued and true plants that thrive indoors no matter what the weather. Or how little time the gardener may have to devote to them. Ease of maintenance is a priority.

But these are not just the dreary dusty basics many of us remember all too well. The 25-year-veteran of Logees Greenhouses wont settle for dreary plants, and she doesnt expect her readers to
Dana Zielke
Likes: There was a huge variety of plants to choose from! I enjoyed learning the names of and being exposed to a number of plants. Each plant has a general information table, much like you would see on the tags stuck in grow pots. Seeing photos and gaining general information inspired my to search for information that was more in depth about plants that looked interesting to me. It was nice that for each species, she named some other varieties which I looked up also. Plants aside, I enjoyed
Katie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Another one I obviously haven't read cover to cover, but the information is very helpful. A philodendron needs a touch of water once a week? I can do that. I disagree with her about which plants are actually indestructible. I have killed three of the plants listed in this book...

I found the stuff about choosing which (decorative style of) pot kind of unnecessary. While "How Not to Kill..." focuses on what could be wrong with the plant, this focuses on the plant itself and its needs. The two
S
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Like so many plant and gardening books, this one should have a sub-subtitle: "200 beautiful plants that everyone can grow - depending on where you live. Living in the desert, I have found that many houseplants people in other parts of the country take for granted can't really survive here. Not enough humidity. So much for "indestructible."

It was nice that she had the little chart for each plant, but it would have been good if info on how to propagate had been a part of that. And light preference
Kelsey  May
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredibly thorough into to SO MANY PLANTS. I borrowed it from the library to learn more about how to take care of the plants I already own. Three of my plants were in it, and after reading their entries, I went back through and learned about dozens of other plants that have all gone on my wishlist. <3

Tovah is an expert and is contagiously passionate. The photos are gorgeous. I loved this book and plan to buy my own copy. I rated it four instead of five because a lot of the
Deirdre
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a burgeoning love of houseplants, I have a tight budget, and I also travel a lot, so this was basically the perfect book for me. I learned tons reading this. It got a bit repetitive in some places, but I like how Martin's personality comes through, I like the beautiful pictures of the beautiful green things that you, too, could have in your home, and I liked the many practical tips and tricks.
Doublezerodomino
Incredible! I wanted all the plants before and now want even more! Very well written, lovely photography, insightful with great advice. Worth reading and reading again for maximum inspiration. Ah, and that Tovah was the first non-family employee at Logees greenhouses! Even a non-master gardener recognizes that deep hippie glory.
Anna Nesterovich
Oh, it sounded so promising! I was so hopeful! Now I would know all about the plants even I can't destroy! Alas, my experience proved that quite a number of the plants in this book of indestructibles are easily destructible. I can vouch for that, I did it. Besides, all the plants in this book are all too familiar. Even the ones I didn't try (to kill) yet look boring.
Tonya Mathis
I have to say, I didn't read the whole book. I looked at the pictures, read the sections of the plants I was interested in; and I read the last chapter. I just might buy a plant. but then again, I might not. We'll see.
Luree Nikias
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many of the plants in this book are ones that i hadn't seen on any of the "Top 10 houseplants" articles and blog posts. This was super helpful and had lots of good tips about managing less than ideal environments you find in your home to help your plants flourish.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Make a Plant Love You: Cultivate Green Space in Your Home and Heart
  • Practical Houseplant Book
  • Leaf Supply: A Guide to Keeping Happy House Plants
  • How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged
  • What's Wrong With My Houseplant?: Save Your Indoor Plants With 100% Organic Solutions
  • The New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb and Care for Your House-Plant Family
  • Urban Botanics: An Indoor Plant Guide for Modern Gardeners
  • Wild at Home: How to style and care for beautiful plants
  • Living With Plants
  • Plant Parenting: Easy Ways to Make More Houseplants, Vegetables, and Flowers
  • Decorating with Plants: What to Choose, Ways to Style, and How to Make Them Thrive
  • Living Decor: Design Tips and Home Projects Featuring Botanicals
  • Plant Style: How to Greenify Your Space
  • Urban Jungle: Living and Styling with Plants
  • Air Plants: The Curious World of Tillandsias
  • Happy Cactus: Cacti, Succulents, and More
  • How to Houseplant: A Beginner's Guide to Making and Keeping Plant Friends
  • Houseplants for a Healthy Home: 50 Indoor Plants to Help You Breathe Better, Sleep Better, and Feel Better All Year Round

News & Interviews