Start by marking “920 O'Farrell Street: A Jewish Girlhood in San Francisco” as Want to Read:
920 O'Farrell Street: A Jewish Girlhood in San Francisco

920 O'Farrell Street: A Jewish Girlhood in San Francisco

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Originally published in 1937 in the later years of her extraordinary life, Harriet Lane Levy's memoirs of her childhood in San Francisco during the late 1800s give us a rare view into the traditional life and manners of an upper-middle-class Jewish family of the era. With sly wit and a writing style critics compared to Jane Austen's, Levy vividly portrays an often stifling ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Heyday Books (first published January 1996)

To ask other readers questions about 920 O'Farrell Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 920 O'Farrell Street

Richard Derus
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating: a yawning, heavy-lidded 3* of five (for historical interest only, and the fact that I remember O'Farrell Street as the service entrance to the Cadillac dealer where we got our cars fixed when I was little)

You know why I picked this book up? The address. San Francisco isn't on my life-list of places to love, but it's very interesting. And, I found out after reading this dull, dull, dull book that Levy knew Alice B. Toklas! Even lived with her in Paris.

Hmmm...never married, knew lesbians..
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, biography
This book is a delight to read. It is a memoir of growing up Jewish in 1870's San Francisco. Harriet Levy's style is to grab the reader's hand and walk arm in arm down O'Farrell Street. She discribes the neighbor's, her home and the characters that inhabit the world of her childhood. Writing from 60's in the future, she is able to add satire to her discriptions of her thoughts and prejudices of society at that time. A wonderful bright book.
Beverly Morton
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting memories (published 1947) by a woman whose childhood home and family were in San Francisco in the late 1800's, early 1900's.
Kristen
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
great snippets of life in San Francisco in mid- to late- 1800's. enjoyed here writing and use of language and wish she'd written more. would like to read her poetry and I'm not usually drawn to poetry.
Kevin Hermosillo
It was slow at first, but her writing style drew me in. She did a good job of describing life in San Francisco in the mid-1800s.
Amanda Banks