Start by marking “Recipes for Love and Murder (Tannie Maria Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Recipes for Love and Murder (Tannie Maria Mystery, #1)

Recipes for Love and Murder

(Tannie Maria Mystery #1)

Meet Tannie Maria: A woman who likes to cook a lot and write a little. Tannie Maria writes recipes for a column in her local paper, the Klein Karoo Gazette.

One Sunday morning, as Maria savours the breeze through the kitchen window whilst making apricot jam, she hears the screech and bump that announces the arrival of her good friend and editor Harriet. What Maria doesn't
Published November 19th 2015 by Canongate Books (first published September 23rd 2015)

Marianne
1 handful of chilli peppers
1 mild gardener
1 fire poker
1 red-hot New Yorker
7 Seventh-day Adventists (prepared for The End of the World)
1 hard-boiled investigative journalist
1 soft amateur detective
2 cool policemen
1 lamb
1 handful of red herrings an
Brenda
4.5s

Tannie Maria wrote columns for the Klein Karoo Gazette alongside investigative reporter Jessie and editor Hattie. But when the paper’s bosses decided Maria’s recipe columns needed to be replaced with love advice instead, it was decided to combine the two. Creating beautiful food from fresh ingredients was Tannie Maria’s love – the peace and tranquility she derived from cooking then feeding others was her forte.

Tannie Maria found it easy to add a perfectly matched recipe to the answers she
John
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure what to expect exactly, but my library had added this one to its downloadable audio holdings recently, so thought I'd check it out. Please bear in mind that I have never seen many of the Afrikaans names or terms in print, so will have to do the best I can phonetically - for one thing it took me quite a while to get that her vehicle was a bakkie (small truck) rather than a buggy.

Without going into a plot description (my friends know how much I dislike rehashing those), Tannie M. (her
Artemiz
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, varrak
Sally Andrew's Recipes for Love and Murder: A Tannie Maria Mystery is an really good murder mystery with a dash of romance, sadness, love, food, beautiful nature and friendship. Tannie Maria is like mix of Miss Marple, Nero Wolfe and Nigella Lawson - she does not look for trouble, the trouble finds her, she likes solving problems and she likes food and the food she likes is nourishing, full of flavors and chocolaty.

The story is about a Tannie Maria who works as food writer in local Klein Karoo
Text Publishing
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, crime
Sally Andrew's delicious new mystery set amidst the plains of South Africa

Is it a faux pas to skip straight to the end of a book? Perhaps.

If there's the promise of recipes and it's lunchtime? No problem at all.

We've done it, so it's alright.

A murder mystery, which is also a romance, which is also hilarious, which is also a cookbook—look this way if you're looking for that book to settle into for the summer break.

‘If you want a vivid, amusing and immensely enjoyable read about detection (and co
Mareli Thalwitzer
After reading this novel, I realized that I can't call myself "proudly South African" AT ALL. I love my country, but I am not always proud of my country. But I will never be a Peter and say "I do not know you". I would rather be like a real prim and proper Afrikaans "poppie" and just keep quite and sit in the corner. And then someone like Tannie Maria comes along and she reminds you of a couple of things:
I love being Afrikaans
I love the Klein Karoo
I love koeksisters, bobotie, melktert, vetkoek
AdiTurbo
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming and heart-warming, this is a lovely read about a lovely group of women who find themselves in the midst of a murder investigation without meaning to. The main character of Tannie Maria is simply wonderful - I fell completely in love with her. I am so glad to find such a female model in a book these days. She is clever, brave, independent and strong-minded. But at the same time she is very soft, motherly, with an endless ability to give and care for others. She does not care one bit abou ...more
Meg
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was different from my usual mystery reads, both in setting and culture. I wasn't at all put off by the occasional word or expression that was foreign to me; in most cases I could figure out what it was. It simply added flavor to the story. I listened to the audio version, and enjoyed it. Ninety-one chapters, though, most of them not short. Still, it was great storytelling and a welcome visit to another land.
Kara-karina
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been approached to review this book a few months ago and decided to give it a chance. And I am so glad I did! Recipes For Love and Murder became one of my reading highlights of the year.

First of all, it's in a small South African town, and apart from Taylor Stevens work I haven't read anything from this continent for quite a few years. Secondly, it's infused with absolutely delicious cooking, and I admit, the promise of those recipes made me race through the book even more.

The atmosphere is
Cheeky Cher
1.5 stars - I didn't like it.

I can completely appreciate how this one will be loved by many fans of cozy mysteries, but it was not my cup of tea. Like most cozies, it was too cute, too sweet, too neat, and had a vexatious protagonist that thought she was a mastermind sleuth. Cozy novices are always so incredibly clever that they are able to magically run circles around the professionals to crack the case, yet they are so stupid as to not recognize the most obvious of dangers. I also felt the foo
Andrea Larson
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fic, cozy, africa
I think I have a new favorite mystery heroine: Tannie Maria, from Recipes for Love and Murder. (“Tannie” is the polite way to address a woman older than you in South Africa, kind of like calling someone “auntie”). She is naïve but intelligent, vulnerable yet strong, and one of the best fictional cooks around! And she solves crimes. Who could ask for more?

Tannie Maria is the advice columnist for her local newspaper, the Klein Karoo Gazette. Not only does she provide good advice, she includes deli
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Recipes for Love and Murder is a delightful mystery set in Klein Karoo, South Africa from Sally Andrew.

Tannie (Aunty) Marie is the Klein Karoo’s Gazette recipe columnist, but with recent budget cuts affecting the small three person newspaper, she is also tasked to take over the role of Agony Aunt. It’s a job Tannie Marie takes seriously, dispensing wisdom, and recipes, to suit any situation. However it is a letter from ‘Bereft Woman’ suffering at the hands of her abusive husband that greatly wor
FangirlNation
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tannie Maria has been writing a cooking column for the local newspaper in rural South Africa when the owners announce that The Gazette needs an advice column, but the only way to fit that in to us for pages is to eliminate Tannie Maria's recipe column in Recipes for Love and Murder by Sally Andrew. Tannie  (a term of respect) Maria solves the problem by combining the advice with recipes that will help the reader deal with the problem.

Read the rest of this review, more reviews, and other wonderf
Carolien
Although described as a cozy murder, this story has more substance than most of the genre. There is no shortage murder suspects and a very interesting cast of sub characters. There is lots of humour and beautiful descriptions of the Klein Karoo natural environment. Unlike many cozy mysteries, the three reporters set out to solve the crime in a constructive and specific manner - the scene where Detective Inspector Henk Kannemeyer finds their notes clearly set out on the white board is a classic. ...more
Barbara
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Set in Klein Karoo, South Africa, Tannie Maria is a middle-aged, happy-with-life columnist with the local paper. One day she receives a letter to her paper that will turn her life upside down. Bring on the next in the series!
Shayne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely delightful book. I loved it. Could just imagine spending afternoons on Tanni Maria's stoep eating beskuit and drinking tea. She wrote so vividly and living on a farm I identified with so much of what she wrote about. Cannot wait to read the next one!
Jennay Amber
Oct 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Let me start of by saying I really, really wanted to like this book. I liked the idea of this new South African author, I liked the idea of this food-obsessed agony aunt dishing out love advice and recipes. I also really liked the cover (I know, I know, the whole "don't judge a book by it's cover" thing - but let's face it, it really can't be helped!) And this is a great cover! But that's actually where my first problem occurred. Don't ask me why, but I found a disconnect between the cover and t ...more
Meagan
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trl16, fiction, mystery
I'm the type of person who really knows my own reading tastes. I have favorite genres and favorite authors, and I'm pretty good about keeping up with what's new and buzzing in the book world. I can usually read a review and feel confident about whether or not I'll like the book, but I also feel like I'm willing to take the occasional chance. However. I also sometimes pigeonhole myself. I'm a romance reader. I don't usually like books that are too seriously literary. I like characters I can conne ...more
Rina Coetzee Gous
Now and again one reads a book that totally absorbs you into it. You can smell, see and even taste it while reading the book. You wish that you can step into the world of the book that is so well portrayed. You can even hear the characters and the tone of their voices.

Recipes for Love and Murder is exactly this type of book. I fell in love with the story and characters right from the first page. Wonderful characters populate it each with their own motives and thinking. Typical small Karoo town i
Joan
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a wonderful story filled with many fantastic south african-isms. The author did a great job though of translating these for non-South Africans! I laughed and I cried, but most of all I felt like the characters became part of my life and I was running around the klein karoo solving the mystery with them!
Selah Pike
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely debut! I loved the South African setting (audiobook narrator Sandra Prinsloo made it even better), the mature protagonist, and all the food. The romance was nicely done as well. I will definitely keep my eyes pealed for the follow up!
Pamela Sue
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the this. Loved the characters especially the main one. Loved how she dealt with life through food and recipes. I want to be her friend so we can share recipes and wisdom.
Annalie
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! I enjoyed every word.
Tried to make it last longer but the best I could do was 3 days and that included rereading some of my favourite pages.
Stacie  Haden
Although similar to Alexander McCall Smith's series set in Botswana, this one has more meat. They're both charming. I'll definitely continue.
Susan Ferguson
A most interesting book. I will probably have to read the next and possibly coontinue on. Hooked by another series!
Tannie Maria writes recipes for the Klein Karoo Gazette. Then the main office of the paper decides they should have an advice column. So Maria begins to write about love and food. She receives a request from a woman with an abusive husband who says she can't cook a certain dish. So Maria sends a recipe for that dish along with some advice about the relationship. She knows it well, h
Hester Maree
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I would call this book a sensual experience: the sights, the atmosphere, the smells of South Africa's beautiful, arid Karoo combine with the all-pervading aromas and tastes of Tannie Maria's cooking and ooze tantalizingly from the pages of the book.
Tannie Maria's job as the writer of a cookery column evolves into that of agony aunt, in which she skilfully pares practical advice on life with recipes designed to heal any problem. Her character is old-fashioned wholesome, naïve, sweet and brave. Li
Victoria Ray
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought the book in the Capetown-airport, South Africa, wanted to get something authentic and positive, but with a 'crime' touch. I fell in love with a style, because it is so flowing and childishly-innocent for a book describing a real murder. The main hero, Tannie Maria, is 50+ curvy chick who is working for the local newspaper in the small south African town. She's actually writing a recipes ...to help people who are struggling with a grief, would like to find happiness, or love..and step by ...more
Jossalyn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book!
read for westridge alum book club. i didn't pick this one so hadn't ever heard of it or the author before, but such a delightful surprise- it was so good.
got both the audiobook and hard copy for this read- and that enhanced the experience significantly.
the audiobook is read by the amazing SA actress Sandra Prinsloo. had to listen to the first couple chapters more than once to get into the cadence of the accent, but then listened to the rest with such real delight. this book is sp
Terri
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
In the style of "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency", this first of the series takes a little reading to get into. The main character loves to eat, and sometimes eats a half a cake at a time, then donuts for breakfast...and says she is a size 14...yeah, right. Other than that I did enjoy the book, and there looks to be a really good recipe for a chocolate buttermilk cake in the back. Looks so good, that I, who never bakes a cake from scratch, and hardly ever bakes a cake. am going to try the reci ...more
meghann
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-n-serial-reads
This has been my favorite Barnes and Noble serial read so far. I loved Maria, Jessie and the rest of the crazy cast of characters in her town. The mystery kept me guessing until the end. The murder ended up being a real sadistic bastard, and things got real dark. One part actually made me feel pretty sick to my stomach there for a bit. But all ended well, and I can't wait to read the next one. In fact, I'm purchasing it now.

• Murder at Cape Three Points (Darko Dawson #3)
  • Dying to Live (Detective Kubu #6)
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • Das Dorf der Mörder (Sanela Beara, #1)
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Laienspiel (Kommissar Kluftinger, #4)
  • Murder on the Blackboard
  • Kamphoer
  • Dead Before Dying
  • False River
  • The English Harem
  • Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)
  • Viskleken (Opcop, #1)
  • Post Mortem (Collins and Griffiths, #1)
  • Непоседа (Приключения Трикса, #2)
  • Captain Freedom
  • ボールルームへようこそ 1 [Ballroom e Youkoso 1] (Welcome to the Ballroom, #1)
  • A Shameful Murder (Reverend Mother Mystery #1)
Sally Andrew lives in a mud-brick house on a nature reserve in the Klein Karoo, South Africa, with her partner, artist Bowen Boshier, and other wildlife (including a giant eland and a secretive leopard). She also spends time in the wilderness of southern Africa and the seaside suburb of Muizenberg. She has a Masters in Adult Education (University of Cape Town).

For some decades she was a social and

Tannie Maria Mystery (2 books)
  • The Satanic Mechanic  (Tannie Maria Mystery, #2)