Start by marking “Like Candy (Candy #1)” as Want to Read:
Like Candy (Candy #1)

Like Candy

(Candy #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Revenge is sweet, just like candy.

Candy Seaborne knows she's badass. She takes after her father, an assassin and possibly a spy, although he won't admit to either. She idolizes him. Her dream is to follow in his footsteps. But first, she has to finish high school.

Biding her time, waiting for real life to begin, Candy craves drama and isn't above manufacturing some. If you'
Published July 28th 2015 (first published July 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Like Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like Candy

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Debra Doxer, and Netgalley.)

There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book; I just didn’t find it entertaining. I couldn’t connect with the characters, the storyline couldn’t hold my interest, and I spend the vast majority of this book just wishing that it was over already.

5 out of 10
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Debra Doxer can always be counted on for a well written, well designed story that is every bit as original as it is fun.

With characters that are both lovable and memorable and even those that you love to hate, her stories really are something you don't want to miss out on.

Her latest book, Like Candy isn't any different. With a main character that you almost can't decide to like or dislike and a swoon worthy leading man and mystery that you can't help but be captured by, this really was one that
Aditi
“Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell.”

----Walter Scott

Debra Doxer, an American author, has penned a compelling YA tale, Like Candy which is about a high school teenage badass girl who stood up for everything and never tolerated injustice, in short, her peers feared her. Being a daughter of a spy, makes her even more rough and this is her story about she gets tangled up in her father's mysteries along with her own.

Synopsis:

Revenge is sweet, just like candy.
Fiona
**I received an eARC of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

“I wish I was the first guy you fell for. Then maybe the shadows in your eyes wouldn’t be there, and when I told you how beautiful you are you’d believe me. You make me want to erase those shadows and chase away the memories that put them there, because every day that you don’t realize how amazing you are is a tragedy in my book.”

WOW. Like Cand
Marjorie  W.
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
2.5 “I’m not sure how I feel” stars

I’m confused. I don’t know whether I liked it or not. I honestly can’t decide. I tried to make up my mind about it, and I came up just as confused. Hence the 2.5 stars.

The premise of this book was actually very interesting. Basically, it’s about an 18 years old girl named Candy who’s pretty sure her father is a spy and an assassin, and she wants to become the exact same thing. Pretty awesome, right? Well, it was, but unfortunately, I feel like those elements ca
TeriLyn
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

**Like Candy generously provided by the author and tour promoters in exchange for an honest review.**

3 "I won't forget." Stars

This was fun and fast. Debra Doxer holds the ability to create inventive/original plots within the pages of her books. This Young Adult novel was a cross between romance and mystery for me as both elements were present. Her writing very easily draws into the pages. There were a few times throughout the plot where I thought the author was taking me somewhere else yet led s
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I kindly received this ARC from Debra Doxer via NG in return for an honest review.

"Some people grumble that roses have thorns;I am grateful that thorns have roses."

Rating- 4.5 sugary stars!

Candy desires one thing above all else- Her Father's approval.
Losing the glue of her family that was her mother at an early age,
Being sent away because some thought her father was not ready to step up.
anger. defiance. revenge.
Candy runs back to her Father's side, she has questions; what does her father
Michelle
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

I loved Like Candy! I have read Debra Doxer's other books, and I really enjoyed them as well, so I expected to read a solidly good book with Like Candy. But revenge is normally not an instant love plot point for me, so I was unsure how much I was going to love this book. I know you are thinking, then why did you read it Michelle? Well, I will tell you. Debra's writing is really great, and her last books were so powerf
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 7

In Dept

Best Part:
Spense! And very pretty chapter headings :D
Worst Part: Insta love crazed.
Thoughts Had: Pretty!; Hardcore bitch!; Yucky insta!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
yep.
Recommending: yep.

Short Review: For starters, i wish i had an actual copy of this bo
Rachel
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Candy is equal parts romance, young love, edge-of-your-pants suspense, fresh & different.

Candy is determined to make changes in her relationship with her father. She moves back home (after her mom passed and she spent time with family) with this in mind until she meets Jonah --- JONAH! Her hope is to reinvent, but falling for a guy is a stumbling block -

Jonah is all bad-boy on the edges and sweet like candy on the inside. Although they try, these two cannot resist one another as the sto
Debra Doxer
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bianca
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The moment we meet Candace (Candy) Seaborne we immediately know she is not the one to mess with. You break her heart? She will ensure karma finds you. And fast. And she never feels sorry about it. Candy decides to leave her aunt’s home the moment she turns eighteen to live with her father that gave her up after the death of her mother. Candy knows about her dad. And who he is. And she wants to do what he does. But he won’t ever admit it. When Ca
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

From the blurb, I expected to read a story of a girl trained covertly by her father to stand up for herself and right wrongs. Instead, what we have is a very amoral and pathological girl with no spy/assassin training at all. She's quite normal other than greatly enjoying vicious revenge on those she has perceived to wrong her. In other words, an unrepentant bully and pretty much unpleasant person who we are supposed to i
Moon Love
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Look out everyone, Candy Seaborne is back in town and she's shaking things up! I've experienced Debra Doxer's writing before and so I know she can write a great story. However, I wasn't expecting it to be so mysterious and suspenseful. I loved the mix of young adult and adult themes. It makes sense there'd be a mix because Candy is eighteen and on the cusp of being an adult.

I think what makes this book really work is that in essence, there are two different stories set in this one boo
Shem
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Also posted at Musings of the Bookaholic Fairies, Inc.

The first thing that had my attention of this book aside from the cool cover ;) is it's main character from the blurb-- Candy.

I think on many points in the story I both have liked and disliked her and then loved her eventually.

She is this girl who became tougher because of the circumstances and everything shed gone through MADE her be. Her character will pull you in, because it grows unexpec
Brittany
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

*Major cliffhanger at the end of the book*

In this book we are taken into the life of Candy who has had a not-so-great life thus far. Mom died of cancer, taken from home to be forced to live with literal demon-spawn family, cheating boyfriend, knowing that your best friend will expire soon due to his illness, and being forced to live with an illness yourself that makes yourself more vulnerable to the cold. That makes life sooo peachy for Candy.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
I received an eARC of the book via NetGalley through Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off with so much promise! A teenage girl who has a spy for a father and wants to be one as well? I had high hopes before starting this book - hopes and expectations that were slightly dashed, especially where the Candy is concerned!

While I had hoped for a kick ass, no pushover girl, what I got was a whiny immature girl who threw tantrums when things didn't go her way. She kn
Melanie
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I have never read anything by Debra Doxer so I had no idea of what to expect from Like Candy. I have to stay I was presently surprised.

From the blurb I thought I was going to be getting some trained high school assassin story line, what I got was something much more in depth, and honestly much better.

I loved the characters in Like Candy, they felt real, and the pranks where a gold mine.

But truth be told its the romance and mystery that sold me on this one. First I didn’t see any of the plot twis
Abbie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

Candy could be quite annoying at times, and I didn't really like her.

I was slightly bored after the first few chapters in this, and unfortunately, as the book progressed, my boredom got worse. The pacing was pretty slow, and the majority of what happened in this didn't interest me.

This ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, but I doubt I'll be reading book two.
Trisha
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was cute and interesting at times but I didn't like the main character, I never felt really pulled into the story and I really didn't like the cliffhanger.
Lekeisha The Booknerd
WTF just happened?!!! I need answers, right TF now!
Lee
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (thanks Netgalley!)

First off, can I just say I knew it! I didn't know exactly how things would play out but from the introduction of Jonah and the vague facts we were given about his father. (view spoiler)

It took me a while to get into the book. I don't know why, but once I got into it I was hook
Jillian
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

A story packed with enthralling characters, a plot shadowed in mystery, a little bit of love, and a whole lot of drama, "Like Candy" was one enjoyable read.

Debra Doxer certainly has a way with words. I love her writing style. Every word is purposeful, making its point, without being cumbersome or plain. While the plot itself was slow, the pace of the writing was fast. Once I sat down and started reading, I couldn't take my eyes aw
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
At A Glance
Sometimes I loved this book, sometimes it was just okay.
The Good
Now this one had an interesting concept. It felt different from other books. I really enjoyed Like Candy. The characters are extremely flawed. Sometimes I hated them, but that's why I liked them.

Candy was....interesting. Sometimes I could totally see her as a wannabe sociopath, but other times she was just a normal teenager. She wants to be like her spy/assassin dad, but he doesn't want that for her. So she goes on wi
Lindsey Learn
*ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Self-published author, Debra Doxer, writes a building, page-turning mystery in Like Candy. From the summery, I expected this book to be adventurous and fun, but the themes are more serious.

Candy says she’s tough, and I think she is, but it comes from a need to protect herself. She’s lost her mom, lived with relatives who mistreated her, has an emotionally disconnected, hit-man father, and her best friend is terminally ill. When sh
Stacey Kym
ARC kindly provided by Xpresso Book Tours via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review

This book made me swoon, tear up, laugh, giggle, snort, frown,

I
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Today, I come to my fellow readers with a MUST READ.... Don't argue with me just read it and then thank me later......

Like Candy, I am going to begin by saying...

I ate this book up like candy.

I know corny but THAT is how much I ADORED this book

First things first, the cover is gorgeous and because I have an e-copy I am literally thinking I might buy a paperback just to have the cover.. It looks awesome.

Onto the chara
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
The story follows Candy whose mother had passed away and was then sent to live with her aunt since her father lost custody. On Candy's 18th birthday she decided to go and live with her father since that is where she wanted to be all along. Candy's father had a shady career and is not all that friendly of nature.

I love Candy's personality the author did a great job creating Candy. Everything matched for losing a mother and having a more distance father. She didn't have any close family to relate
Nicole
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchanged for an honest review. This book just didn't work for me for several reasons. First, the blurb lead me to believe that Candy was going to join her father in some action packed sequences, but that just isn't what happens here. Candy has no skills beyond her ability to manipulate, so she isn't going to fight her way out of a paper bag. Second, Candy comes across as a psychopath - she is calculating and cruel and vengeful. She is someth ...more
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

I really loved Debra's NA novel, Keep You From Harm, so when I saw Like Candy available for download, I immediately requested it. Her writing is so engaging and pulls you in immediately from the first page. Like Candy was no different.

I was actually surprised by a lot of Like Candy. It's blurbed as a revenge story and while Candy has her moments of pranks and plots of revenge, it's not the main plot of the book. It's actually quite confusing,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Unforgettable (Always #2)
  • Quiet Lies
  • The Ghost of You (The Ghost of You #1)
  • Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)
  • Temperance (The Arcanian Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Ringer
  • Skinny Me (A New Start, #1)
  • War of Wizards (Secrets of Shadow Hill, #3)
  • Confessions of a Virgin Sex Columnist! (Confessions, #1)
  • Sachael Dreams (Mine, #1)
  • Quanta (The Shadow Ravens, #2)
  • Heartsick
  • Before the Fall (Broken Angel, #3)
  • Strangers for the Night (For the Night, #1)
  • Held Against You
  • Salvation (Guardian Angel, #3)
  • Twisted Up In You
  • Without You
Debra Doxer was born in Boston, and other than a few lost years in the California sunshine, she has always resided in the Boston area. She writes fiction, technical software documents, illegible scribbles on sticky notes, and texts that get mangled by AutoCorrect. She writes for a living, and she writes for fun. When not writing, she’s a chauffeur, cook, maid, therapist, nurse, tutor, and stylist ...more

Candy (2 books)
  • Sweet Liar (Candy #2)
“When the girl you’re talking to is obviously cold, you offer her your coat,” Jonah said flatly.” 0 likes