Start by marking “Empty Fists” as Want to Read:
Empty Fists

Empty Fists

“God, why has this happened to me? I have never hurt anybody in my life. I have been sincere to God, to my work, to my husband... Yet, I have to suffer this cruel brutality. Why?”
A software professional who led a charmed life, finds that life destroyed by a single brutal incident…
A man on his deathbed realizes a life spent in the US chasing money, filled his pockets but
Published June 29th 2015 by Notion Press

Start your review of Empty Fists
Majenta
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish the whole book had been through the eyes of a TRUE "rescue dog"--a four-legged creature who is always ready to bound into action when he smells evil on one of those big beasts known as humans. Even when he finds a loving home with an adoring and adored "human sister," he still checks in with his "crowd" and is always on the alert for lost or kidnapped children, injured people, desperate souls--even hopeful hearts in need of a matchmaker!

But that is just one part of this book. There is sti
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Oct 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
In my opinion, the short stories addressed some very interesting themes ( abusive behaviours, gender inequality, deviants conduct) but the author didn't explore it as much. In fact, I find the narrating style quite boring and monotonous. First, the short stories in a dog's point of view were really repetitive in their patterns. I felt like the dog had some superior complex, by always reminding us that he was better than the humans he encountered or even his friend dogs and I don't think that was ...more
bookaholic_kim
In the world we live in, lots of problems exist. There is always a time in human’s life where we suffer from different kinds of horrible things. But have you ever thought who induces these problems?

This book “Empty Fists” contains short stories that focus on various problems and experiences. And in every story it teaches lessons and made me see the real world. A world full of violence, gender issues, selfishness, and how people see money as the most important thing in the world.

There is a story
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Empty Fists is a compilation of diverse short stories about the dreadful crimes that Indian residents encounter for many years. There isn't a single problem that was overlooked, from child molestation, rape to murder, you're sure to find it all. These extremely short stories are separated in two major sections. The first one covers the story of a dog with a God complex that believes that humans underestimate animals in more ways than one. As his adventures unfolds, he becomes a hero through the ...more
Valicity Elaine
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Family-friendly readers and those who enjoy emotional dramas
Empty Fists is an anthology. A collection of short stories reflecting on the different aspects of life faced by every individual. There is love, friendship, struggle, even loss. This is a collection of stories that will truly touch your heart from beginning to end.

The first story is very unique, it’s one of the best of the collection because of its narration. This story is actually told through the eyes of a dog. Honestly, it is one of the most sincere and kindest tales I’ve ever read. We follo
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
Empty fists have nothing within them, some say. But for me, they are generally filled with hope. Read an anthology of stories by Mangalam Shiva.

The theme for each story was based on important issues. Each plot is relevant in today's social scenario. Dowry, neglect, abuse, you name it and it was there. A segment was narrated through the eyes of a dog, which is a novel concept. Characters chosen were Indians and could be easily associated with.

Yet, there was something amiss. The author attempts to
Saradia Chatterjee
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Empty Fists is a collection of short stories that tackle multiple themes but the primary focus of the stories is on the difficulties faced by women in their daily lives. Many women are ostracized and exploited in today's world in spite of the progress of civilization. The stories in this collection highlight the struggles and tragedies in the lives of women while also venturing to portray the desires, failures, agony and ecstasy which are part of human existence.

I liked most of the stories. The
Katie-bree
Empty Fists by Mangalam Shiva is a a collection of stories that focus on different characters, each effected by various, and often darker, aspects of life from exploit and ecstasy, to greed and raw emotion. One such character, and my personal favourite, is that of a dog named Raju who shows us his world through his eyes. This is something I have rarely seen portrayed and certainly never in this way. I really enjoyed it! It was a compliment of appreciation towards something other than ourselves a ...more
Ananiah Blessing
Ajeet
Oct 29, 2017
Sophia Stafford
Sep 10, 2015
Mangalam Shiva has published his book of short stories "EMPTY FISTS". The AUTHOR IS A RETIRED MARKETING PROFESSIONAL HAVING WORKED IN WELL KNOWN PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANIES IN INDIA.
After retirement he has taken to writing short stories with themes focusing on social injustices in India against Women & Children. Using his imagination and experience he has created situations & characters to portray i

News & Interviews