Start by marking “The Scribe's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Scribe's Daughter

The Scribe's Daughter

Kassia is a thief and a soon-to-be oath breaker. Armed with only a reckless wit and sheer bravado, seventeen-year-old Kassia barely scrapes out a life with her older sister in a back-alley of the market district of the Imperial city of Corium. When a stranger shows up at her market stall, offering her work for which she is utterly unqualified, Kassia cautiously takes him o ...more
ebook
Published August 25th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Scribe's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scribe's Daughter

Cathy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scribe’s Daughter is an exciting, action-packed adventure story set in a fictional imagined world. Although not specified, the time period has the feel of the medieval and I imagined the story taking place somewhere in the countries around the Mediterranean.

Kassia is a sparky, feisty heroine. She’s a tomboy when we first meet her; brave, if a little reckless. Kassia has need to be brave, though, because her father disappeared three years ago after failing to return from a trip, and she has t
Samantha
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-own-it
Being an indie author myself, I enjoy reading novels by other brave souls who decide to self-publish. It's tough to be responsible for a book from cover to cover, and I tend to be more forgiving when reviewing an indie novel because I sympathize with the challenges faced. This is the attitude I held when I picked up The Scribe's Daughter, but this novel demands that it be held to a higher standard.

Nothing about this book made me think, "It's good for an indie novel." This book is just a joy to r
May
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I'm a fan of the fantasy genre and picky about my books. This is a very well written book with several interesting plot twists and surprises. The characters are well drawn, and the heroine is especially entertaining with her sarcastic sense of humor and plucky spirit. The secondary characters are also interesting. The pacing is, perhaps, a bit uneven (not surprising for a debut novel), but while the book may start a bit slowly, it certainly makes up for it the rest of the way!
For fans of YA or f
Lauren Sapala
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hands down the best medieval fantasy novel I’ve read in years.

I started The Scribe’s Daughter not sure what to expect. Realistic, contemporary fiction is usually my go-to genre, so I wasn’t sure I would click with this book. The very first chapter proved me wrong though. I was immediately sucked into this alternate world and incredibly intrigued by the mystery that was slowly unfolding.

I won’t include spoilers (because I hate it when reviews do that) but I will say that there were
Linda Hein
This book was sent to me months ago, before Christmas, 2015, a signed and inscribed copy sent to me by the author, a woman with whom I was a co administrator on the FB fan page for Sharon Kay Penman. It sat on my desk for a few more months, growing roots next to the other books that were on my “to read” list.

I knew she was writing this book, and read an early chapter long ago. I am not a fan of books written in the first person, regardless of who the author is, and will not read them if I have
Cristina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in a land that in my mind bears some resemblance to Renaissance Europe, young Kassia and her sister survive in the city thanks to their skills (and Kassia's light fingers and wit), after the death of their mother and disappearance of their father (presumed dead on a trip). Although Kassia is the younger of the two, she's the one taking care of the both of them, wiser to the ways of the world than her sister, and not afraid to get her hands dirty to ensure their survival. But one day their li ...more
Marsha Lambert
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Scribe's Daughter by author, Stephanie Churchill is an exciting tale from the first page to the last. As I read the book I felt like it was a historical fiction body of work with some fantasy added in, The Scribe's Daughter has something for fans of either genre.

Kassia, the main character is a strong willed, self reliant young lady that is quick with a sarcastic quip. Kassia is so well written that the reader is swept along with Kassia upon her journey of self discovery. Through trials and
Robert Southworth
Very enjoyable...

In years gone by I have been an avid reader of fantasy. That said, recently my reading habits have concentrated mainly on historical fact and fiction. I have to however, that this may well draw me back to the world of fantasy. Its written in the first person, and too rarely these days the protagonist is a young female. Drawn into a dangerous world the young and resourceful Kassia must face many pitfalls. The author has created a fast moving novel, where the characters are well b
Matthew Harffy
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With The Scribe's Daughter, Stephanie Churchill gives us the foundations for a compelling fantasy series, with a sassy, engaging heroine.

The book is written in first person, from the perspective of young Kassia, who becomes embroiled in all manner of political intrigues, fights and flights from pursuits, as the novel progresses. There is a lot of action with Kassia's backstory slowly revealed as the plot unfolds. The world that Churchill has built is believable and interesting, though I have to
Larry
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Medieval Fiction/Fantasy readers
The Scribe’s Daughter, Stephanie Churchill’s first novel, takes readers on an often breath-taking trip through the back streets of Corium, the countryside of Mercoria, and the court intrigues of Elbra in search of answers to a great mystery. Kassia, the seventeen year-old protagonist meets street urchins, silversmiths, princes and healers as she slowly unravels the mystery of her past and attempts to take control of her future. Throughout the book, the reader becomes caught up in the lives of th ...more
Darlene Williams
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid debit novel

I greatly enjoyed this fantastical yarn of adventure, politics, and love. I especially enjoyed the protagonist's sense of humour, an element far too often lacking in historical novels. I did find, however, the humour was uneven, sputtering out as the novel went on. One other drawback was the epilogue. It quite discombobulated me. Overall, a recommended read.
Shari
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me get the positive out of the way first. Churchill can write. She writes beautifully and has a way with words. Writing beautifully, smoothly, does not an "author" make. I do not enjoy panning a writer because I know the pain of writing. I do, however, want to make positive suggestions.

Every page of this story has only one major character -- Kassia. This is the problem with 'first person' narrative. One has to learn to take the 'me' out of it. That's more difficult than it sounds. First pers
Richard Abbott
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Scribe's Daughter is essentially a fantasy book, though without any of the magical trappings that you might normally associate with fantasy. The world is broadly medieval in feel, with edged and missile weapons in regular use, but no gunpowder or anything more destructive. Kings and nobles rule the diverse cities and countries of this land, which feels rather like Europe or North America without ever making explicit parallels with those continents.

The plot develops not by way of battles or m
Cmoore
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't much like this story... The story is told from our protagonist's (Kassia) POV... and I was just never quite able to lose myself in the story. I blame the author for that. Some stories invite the reader into the world created, and some, like this one, forgot to send the invitation... The beginning was intriguing enough that I decided to finish listening, but toward the end it was a near thing... I was really questioning my decision to "tough it out"
One of my triggers is having the
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Appalled

The Scribe's Daughter was over all an alright book and I could have marked it down as a slightly badly written novel that had an okay story and characters. Until.... I got to the end of chapter 12. Early on in the novel, Kassia is brutally raped by prison guards. She deals with all the pain and trauma such an evil act brings with it... Eventually finding out that she is pregnant. I disagreed with her apparent hatred for the life inside her but I could see where you could feel as Kassia d
Patricia
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle, own-it
The Scribe's Daughter is listed as a fantasy, but not the type of fairies and dragons. It reads like historical fiction, but the lands and their people are the creation of the author.

This book tells the story of 17-year old Kassia, whose mother has died and whose father has been missing for some 3 years. Kassia and her older sister are doing what they can to survive and to keep the terrifying landlord from the door, so when a stranger appears and asks Kassia to take on some metalwork, she agrees
Jo
Stephanie Churchill has a solid future as an author, especially with her skill at imaginative scene settings. I would have liked the dialog to have seemed more fitting to the "time" and the ending a bit less abrupt, but she does give the reader a feeling of continuation through a short glimpse of what's to come.
A fine debut, somewhat in the style of Stephen Lawhead, I recommend it for older teens - adults.
Rich
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very hard to put down after I started reading it. It was very well written and the description was great, you could almost see what the author was writing. I usually don't read this kind of book but it made me keep reading because I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.
Cynthia
Oct 17, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this first reads book . Loved the strong female lead character. Would definitely read more by this author. Wish her great things in the future.
Sharon
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first thought after finishing The Scribe's Daughter was 'Wow!' It is hard to believe this is a debut novel. It is so polished and intelligently written, having none of the naivety that can be found in, even, the best debut novels. I found myself picking up the book at any opportunity - every spare five minutes were spent in the world Stephanie Churchill has created. I was often reading late into the night, just to devour that little bit more of the story.
The author draws you into her world,
Paul Bennett
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book popping up in discussion via a Facebook group I belong to, I decided that I wanted to read it even though it is not historical fiction but rather a historical fantasy tale.  So, I put it on my radar to be read when time allowed.  However, the forces of the universe deemed it was time when I won a copy of the book, and so as to not disrupt those forces, I disrupted my schedule instead; gladly as it turned out.  It is a gripping tale that held my interest from the beginn ...more
Colin Rowlands
This was quite a difficult review to write because technically this is a good book with a strong plot that also lays the foundations for subsequent ones in the series, it has a wide variety of interesting characters, but it just didn't grab me as there was something about the pacing where it just seemed to meander on without really picking up even during the major plot points.

The narrator did a good job overall with a suitable arrange of tones for the various characters, but the overall delivery
Victoria Haugen
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting and creative story by Stephanie Churchill. I really enjoyed it, I think the characters were well written and developed, I loved the story itself, and I thought the narrator did a fantastic job. I was intrigued by Kassia throughout, she's very complicated and there are lots of twists and turns. All in all, I think it's a great story and I'd definitely be interested in more from this author, and also narrator :)
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request
AnaMarija
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this one - first I was expecting straight medieval rather than fantasy, perhaps because I found Stephanie and followed her progress via Sharon K. Penman. It took me a while to get round to reading, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

Aside from one plot element that felt like it was too much and was overly stereotypical of how women's adventures end up sooner or later, the tale was gripping and consistent, the characters well-rounded and believable. I look forwar
Barbara
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book recommended by a Goodreads Author, one of my faves, so of course HAD to give it a shot. Was SOOOOO worth it. A well told tale of self-discovery that had me pondering from page to page how each new conflict would work itself out... and it did, knotty problem by knotty problem.

Already have my mouth watering for the next in the series, and downloaded it upon finishing this one. This is why I friend Goodreads authors... if they like someone else's work, and I like theirs... chances a
Lindsay
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Whoops! Finished this one a while ago, but didn't put up a review right away, and now it's starting to fade. Overall, a decent book. Well edited, though certainly slower than it needed to be. I was also hoping it would have more of a historical fiction feel to it, but it was more about the characters than the setting.
Sandra Mayo
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional story!

I was immediately captivated after reading the first paragraph. I knew this author offered much detail by the way she used her words to evoke memory and visions of the current events that she so easily described. I truly enjoyed reading Ms. Churchill's book, "The Scribe's Daughter."
ChillwithabookAWARD With
The Scribe's Daughter by Stephanie Churchill has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"Beautifully written with lots of surprises."

Pauline Barclay - Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Susana
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It caught me, loved the story. The authoress creates her own world and is an enthralling one and she is being gracious to let me know that the second book the kings daughter will be out in the fall this year! so I can keep reading about this sisters story.
Nicky Moxey
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great heroine

I was really cheering for Kassia!
Robustly written backgrounds, sympathetic protagonist, and a lovely broad sweep of political shenanigans; off to look for the sequel.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Over the Deep
  • The Woman in the Shadows
  • 1066: What Fates Impose
  • Living a Prayerful Life
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • The Love Dangerously Collection: Dangerous Kiss, Dangerous Flirt & Dangerous Tease (Laytons, #1-#3)
  • The Stars Shine Bright (Raleigh Harmon Mysteries, #5)
  • Before I Saw You
  • A Seahorse in the Thames
  • The Lovecraft Compendium
  • Shadow of the King (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #3)
  • Sons of the Wolf (Sons Of The Wolf #1)
  • Singularity
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Richard Revisited