Start by marking “Las dos vidas de Ally Hughes” as Want to Read:
Las dos vidas de Ally Hughes

Las dos vidas de Ally Hughes

La vida de Ally Hughes es un caos. Con una niña que requiere toda su atención, una madre controladora que sigue cada uno de sus pasos y unas largas jornadas como profesora en la Universidad de Brown… Bastante tiene con organizarse ella sola, como para pensar en hombres… ¡O en tener sexo! Y entonces aparece Jake, un alumno diez años más joven, que ella que le hará vibrar co ...more
Published September 28th 2015 by Titania (first published August 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Las dos vidas de Ally Hughes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Las dos vidas de Ally Hughes

Jessica Woodbury
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, arc
Okay, let's be straight here. This is a romance novel. It is straight-up wish fulfillment for 30- and 40-something women. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The writing is good, and while I had plenty of hangups with the plots and characters, it's nothing outside of your normal rom-com.

If you want a book to curl up with that's the reading equivalent of watching your favorite chick flick, you can't really go wrong. Ally is smart, Jake is perfect, the book is sexy as hell.

Enjoy, lad
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received a copy of the audiobook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This isn't my usual fare so it is harder for me to really weigh in on how it compares with other similar books. (Is this romance? Did I accidentally listen to a romance novel? Or is this chick lit? Is there a difference?). Ally Hughes is a young professor who became a single mother while still in college (and managed to still get an Ivy League education and a tenure-track position! go figure!) and in a weekend
Charidy Johnston
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It's quirky, funny, and surprisingly sexy. I blushed a little (ok, a lot). I haven't wanted to be friends with a book character this much since Maria Semple's Bernadette.
Jaime Arkin
3.5 stars Cute fun read!!

If someone asked me what exactly is “Chick Lit”, I would hand them this book and say this is a perfect example. It’s not too heavy on drama, yet there is some. It’s not filled with over the top sex scenes, though there are some, and it focuses on a female character who is trying to figure out some aspect of her life.

In Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes you get all of that and a lovely story. Told in alternating timelines, in one we experience a 48 hour period of time where
Julie Ehlers
I didn't have to read for very long to decide that Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes was basically a Nancy Meyers movie (e.g., The Holiday; It's Complicated) in book form. The dialogue was so snappy it actually seemed to be lifted from a screenplay. The main character has a sad backstory that explains why she is the way she is--but not too sad. Just, you know, rom-com sad. The settings are picturesque: a shabby (but not too shabby) house in a New England college town; a fancy Brooklyn brownstone (in ...more
Kelly Hager
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It reminded me a little bit of Something's Gotta Give (but in reverse)---although, if this synopsis gave you pause, you should know that Jake isn't really dating Ally's daughter. It's not like he's had sex with both of them. So that made me feel a little better.

I absolutely loved Ally. She's smart and funny (although yeah, I kept reading her as Diane Keaton, but she's in her early 30s when she sleeps with Jake and then in her early 40s when he pops up again). I also l
Nora-Kate
Spent a lot of time annoyed with this book. This book to me felt like the girl in the room trying so hard to be funny and she may actually be if she weren't trying so hard.
In the books defense I mostly listened to the audio, and I didn't like the narrator, especially her attempt at reading the man's lines.
Taryn Pierson
I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I had been honest with myself about what it was before I started it. Plain and simple, this book is a romance novel. And it's pretty good, for what it is. It has all the necessaries: a studly and unusual male lead, a juicy setup, and a good number of steamy scenes.

Sadly for me, however, I got tripped up by the most trivial of obstacles—the cover. As you will notice, there is no giveaway here, no shirtless, muscled hunk locked in the arms of a chesty b
Steve
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a part of a Goodreads "First Reads Giveaway." It is certainly possible that I am not the ideal reader for this particular book. Although, I do have a demonstrated appreciation for GOOD "Chick Lit" (cf. my article here: http://www.readingsjournal.net/2015/0...). I guess I'll start with the good. I did read the whole book and turn the pages reasonably quickly. I suppose for many writers this would be considered a win. I do think the alternating chapters that take place in t ...more
Joanne
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
How can you not want to read a book with a title like this?

This book seemed to me to be marketed as literary fiction. Reading it, I felt that it was more of a contemporary romance with a literary MC (English professor in her 40s). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good romance and I liked this book. But it may find a wider audience if presented a bit differently.

The blurb also plays up the idea that a mother has a fling, then her daughter falls in love with the same man unknowingly. The daughter is
stacia
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, quick read about an underrepresented kind of romance novel heroine: the single mother. Her professional anxieties, personal fears, and conflicts of interest impede her risk taking ability and she abandons a budding romance with a former student ten years her junior. It alternates between the weekend they spent together a decade ago and the present. In the present, her daughter is 20, coming of around the same time Ally's sense of adult exploration and risk-taking were subsumed by ...more
Alexandra
My mom saw this book and had to get it for me. Why? My name is Alexandra Hughes and most of my family calls me Allie (it was Ally until middle school when I thought Allie was more grown up -- not sure why I thought that) or Al or Alex. So my mom thought the title of this book was hilarious and she didn't care if I read it, she needed me to see it because she said it had my name written all over it.

Other than the title of the book, there wasn't much to love. I didn't like any of the characters or
Claudia
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, galley
I loved! Smart and funny, Ally and Jake were the perfect couple even with the age difference, and the sex scenes were very tasteful. The funny dialogs were perfectly written, the back in forth between time and the ending was so different. Thank you Dutton and Edelweiss for sending me a copy for review!
Monique
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this for free through NetGalley

I found the premise to be quite interesting and even though it is well written, it didn't completely translate for me. It is a cute little romance story filled with smart and witty characters so if that is your cup of tea, I would definitely give it a go.
Rachel Smalter Hall
This was fun and fluffy! Exactly what I wanted / needed to read after my book club made me read Franzen. Pros: college professor does her hot student. Cons: it had a weird subplot involving an illicit sex trafficking ring (?). Overall: entertaining, and just a li'l bit steamy.
Marina
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ending was so rewarding, since book was dull, humorless. Most of the plot was about sex. Ending improved the whole book.
Linda
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Åååhhh!!!
Agi
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

"Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes" is Jules Moulin debut novel. The title is absolutely brilliant, and also the premise to this book sounded really promising, so when I was asked if I want to be a part of Blog Tour for this novel, I didn't hesitate and immediately agreed.

It quickly turned out that this book was not this what I was expecting, although I am not sure what I was expecting :) Maybe more of the promised Tracy Bloom's humour? Having in mind this brilliant title suggesting something light
Jaclyn Crupi
Ok, so this book is kind of wonderful. It's also incredibly unlikely. And a little problematic (there is a speech about marriage and ownership I had quite a few issues with). It's crazy fun and a certain woman's fantasy – it may not be my fantasy but I was happy to be along for the ride. It's perfectly paced and uses its timeline cleverly across the ten years it spans. It's a rom-com (uniquely with a mother as its protagonist!) that is fun to lose yourself in and it lightly explores how one woma ...more
Amy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun little book! Immensely readable and engaging! It was a fairly light read but so much fun. I really liked the characters and how the story played out. This one is a little quirky and a little funny ... and definitely a little sexy! But, in the best way! I love books that capture my imagination and make me not want to put the book down and this was one of those. So light and fun!

I loved Ally - she is such an interesting and compelling character. I loved following her life and seeing her
Georgia Hill
Ok so I enjoyed this because it's easy and flirty and cute and whimsical and I liked Ally but it's also pretty ridiculous and unbelievable and a bit 50 Shades-y (the gifts, the tracking-her-down). The sub-plot was weird, so weird. Some of it was a bit TMI. BUT! It is kinda like junk food literature, it's so bad it's good, as it's not perfect and it's not realistic and some of it will make you scoff but it does make you smile and laugh and that's good enough for me.
Katie Tingle
I enjoyed this book, I can't say I didn't. However the writing style just didn't sit well with me and I found it at times difficult to interpret conversations and became confused throughout. The love element was okay, not the best, but very original! May be a 2.5 stars, I'm not too sure.
Natasha
Cute chick lit story. Light read (or listen) with humour, some sexy scenes and some scandal thrown in.
Deanna
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had weird details that I’ve never seen before. I’m not sure I cared so much for the writing style, but the story was good.
✨ Y.♡ˎ´
Oh dear, I guess this is the first book I rated with two stars. I wasn't quite sure if I'll give it two or three but sadly, it really didn't deserve more than two stars.

Like I said while I was reading; I have no idea why did I ever pick up this book. I remember smiling because of the title and thinking: okay maybe it will be interesting. So I gave it a GO and it turns out it was a: no-no.

Where do I even start?
****SPOILER****

I'll put it bluntly: it's a story about a single mother named Ally w
Stephanie
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this quirky book!!!!
Cecilia
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read when everything around you is a mess or stressful, an escape book
Megan O'Hara
everyone in this book was annoying but i like to have fun
Cathy
This book is exactly what I love about fluffy romance books. There is depth if you want it and if you don't just go along for the wonderful ride.

The character interaction is 100% what makes this book so engaging. The witty dialogue and the general interactions between the characters are what makes this book impossible to put down.
Ally is single mother who is constantly trying to live up to the expectations and, more importantly, judgments that her mother Claire (recently deceased) has placed up
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
3.5 Stars

Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Ten years ago, Ally Hughes took a risk, she broke one of her rules; she had sex with one of her students. To be specific, Jake Bean wasn’t her student at the time because he had withdrawn from college hours before their encounter.
What was supposed to be a one night of passion, turned out to be a weekend impossible to forget.
Ten years have passed and Ally still remembers that weekend with longing. In those few days she shared with Jake she fell in l
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Around the Year i...: Ally Hughes Has Sex Sometimes, by Jules Moulin 1 17 Feb 14, 2016 08:10AM

• Scared Scriptless
  • No Turning Back (Hanover Brothers, #1)
  • Saving Mr. Perfect (Penelope Blue, #2)
  • Medley (Changing Lanes, #2)
  • Crazy About Love (All About Love, #3)
  • Ann Tenna
  • Going Down on One Knee
  • Chance of Rain
  • One Kiss More (U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • Rat Queens #6
  • D.C. Trip
  • Saga #30
  • The Heart of Henry Quantum
  • Archie, Vol. 4
  • Crazy Messy Beautiful
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #116
  • Heartbreak Cove (Sanctuary Island #3)
  • A Copper Ridge Christmas (Copper Ridge, #3.4)
Jules Moulin has a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University. She spent her twenties writing the Golden Globe and Emmy Award winning series Party of Five and The West Wing. She left Hollywood five years ago in order to work as a full-time mom and splits her time between New York City and Pasadena, California. ALLY HUGHES HAS SEX SOMETIMES is her first novel.
“Sometimes you lead your life and sometimes your life leads you.” 0 likes