Start by marking “Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students” as Want to Read:
Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students

Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students

Would you want to be a student in your own classroom? In Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students, author Pernille Ripp challenges both novice and seasoned teachers to create a positive, interactive learning environment where students drive their own academic achievement. You’ll discover how to make fundamental changes to your classroom so learning beco ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 184 pages
Published September 22nd 2015 by Routledge (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Passionate Learners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passionate Learners

Travis
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pernille's teaching philosophy deeply reflects my own. The section about grades was one of my favorites. This year, a co-worker and I changed our grading practice and focused on feedback and conversations as opposed to numeric grades. Thank you, Pernille Ripp, for your books about passionate learning, teaching, and (soon!) reading.
Pernille Ripp
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, it would be odd if I didn't give it 5 stars, yet I do feel that this is a good book. It is practical, inspiring (hopefully) and will help teachers create the type of classroom they have dreamed about.
Jordan Moore
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book reads like a personal diary where Pernillle bravely reflects on how her teaching practice changed as she increasingly trusted herself as a teacher. It is laid out in a very straightforward manner with each chapter divided into Then, Now and Next. Rather than create a book that promotes a program or management routine, Pernille instead promotes a shift in the way we think of our role as teachers and shares with us how she has approached that shift in her classroom. It goes against her o ...more
Jeremiah Henderson
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I got this book, I wasn't really sure what to expect when I read it. I supposed I would find more typical advice to running a classroom. Boy, was this book was far from that idea! Pernille's book RIPPED me apart as an educator! Her book was filled with hard questions, and even harder truth. I was forced (in the best way) to really examine my classroom and my practice to ultimately create a thriving learning environment to create passionate learners in my school and classroom. At the end of ...more
Barbara Bray
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Pernille Ripp grabbed my heart strings right from the beginning. She shared her own story which is probably so many other teachers stories about realizing they needed to change their teaching practice. The power of this book are the stories with examples of what she did to change one step at a time. Not only did I fall in love with this book, we (Kathleen McClaskey and myself) included examples from her own stories in our new book, How to Personalize Learning that is coming out October 2016.

I k
Skylar Primm
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Part confessional, part how to guide, and part manifesto, Pernille Ripp's book was inspiring and empowering to me as a veteran teacher and ought to be essential reading for new ones. The overall message is of teacher leadership, experimentation, and, above all, HOPE. I loved this book, and I'm sure to return to it and recommend it to other educators in the years to come.

Her blog was already required reading, but now I'm certain to follow her next books as well.

(I only wish I hadn't gotten sidetr
Jessie Krefting
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! Pernille shares many of the same views as other passionate educators like George Couros, Dave Burgess and the late Joe Bower. Her ideas will make every educator stop and consider not only what we are teaching but also the why. She gives educators permission to take a step back and listen to the needs and voices of their students and provides many wonderful ideas of how to give students more voice and choice in our classrooms! I would highly recommend this book to any educat ...more
Julie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pernille's honesty is a breath of fresh air. Her ideas on how we can approach teaching with a different lens are realistic. Highly recommend!
Todd Sinclair
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring book that helped give me the confidence to follow my gut even if I am stepping outside of the norm/expected. Should be handed and mandatory for every teacher.
Virginia

Pernille Ripp is an inspiration to me - I have participated in the Global Read-Aloud for the past five years, I read Pernille's blog, and I have now read her first book (and am working on the 2nd).

Passionate Learners is a book that, as I read it, I wished I had read much earlier in my career, though 1) it wasn't published yet, and 2) I probably needed to learn many of the lessons described in it for myself. As it turns out, this book was a huge validation for me. Now in the 30th year of my ca

Grace Hilsmier
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Pernille Ripp generally, so I was hoping to get more out of this than I did. As a secondary English teacher, I was hoping to see more of what student voice and choice looks like in that setting, but most of the examples she gave were from her days with elementary schoolers. I also wish she would have written more about managing systems and classroom community in middle school when you only have students briefly, as opposed to having influence over their entire day.
Kim
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book and would recommend it to a new teacher over others. I did not have the same enthusiastic response for this book as I did Passionate Readers and would say if you had to choose between the two- to pick Passionate Readers. However, both are practical and adjustable to meet your population or environment. Bottom line of both- listen to kids and do what is best for them as well as be flexible.
Jon
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that should be included in all new-teacher inductions and pre-service teacher education courses. Pernille encourages teachers to reflect on their process and shares her lessons learned.
JoAnn
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pernille continues to inspire me to be the best I can be!
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-reading
Encouraging and inspiring. If you want to teach with compassion at the front, you have a tribe. Read this, connect online, and together we can make a difference.
Melissa
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starting my summer vacation and #bookaday by finishing this on the train!
Czechgirl
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To me this is a perfect book to do as a book study as a campus. If educators/campuses want to truly be the different campus that is there for students, this book covers a variety of topics of things to consider when making that change. The books questions the educator "Would you like being a student in your own classroom?" It makes one question things we do just because it has always been done. As teachers our sole purpose is to educate a student and help them develop in all areas, not just acad ...more
Joyce Yattoni
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of "take aways" in this book. Mrs. Ripp explains how she went from a teacher directed classroom to building a community of learners who are curious, risk takers and producers of their own learning. She describes her journey and what she does at the beginning of a new school year and throughout to cultivate independent and reflective thinkers. I especially enjoyed the couple of chapters on moving towards a standard based grading system. Quick read.
Jeannie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've followed Pernille Ripp's blog for a long time and I consider her one of the most inspiring teachers. I started reading this book as part of a book club but time got away from me until this summer. I HIGHLY recommend reading it and her blog as well to any teacher and have even suggested getting a copy for our school.
Jennifer Cataline Walker
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
I am a huge fan of Pernille Ripp's blog and the passion she brings to her teaching. This would be a great book for new teachers and for veteran teachers striving to use democratic teaching practices to create a nurturing and inclusive classroom environment.
Cindy Wise
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great. good motivation for teachers to see what their class can be.
Suzanne
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the better PD books that I've read. Down to Earth suggestions that I either said Yep trying that or wish I could to that. Can't wait to hear her at a conference I am going to this summer!
Anna Davidson
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great refresher for teachers teaching in or starting out in the student centred classroom. An easy read with sections to provoke your thinking as well as practical tips to use in your classroom.
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved all of the meaningful ideas discussed on how to change classrooms & school. Many pieces that I want to go back through reflect on to use with students next year in our classroom.
Sharon Drummond

• The Unstoppable Writing Teacher: Real Strategies for the Real Classroom
  • Who's Doing the Work?: How to Say Less So Readers Can Do More
  • DIY Literacy: Teaching Tools for Differentiation, Rigor, and Independence
  • The Writing Thief: Using Mentor Texts to Teach the Craft of Writing
  • The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (and They're All Hard Parts)
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • The Art of Slow Reading: Six Time-Honored Practices for Engagement
  • Reading Nonfiction: Notice & Note Stances, Signposts, and Strategies
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop
  • Read Write Teach: Choice and Challenge in the Reading-Writing Workshop
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers