Start by marking “Sideswiped (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Sideswiped (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #0.5)

Sideswiped

(The Peri Reed Chronicles 0.5)

Don’t miss this thrilling first look into the elite world of Peri Reed, government agency operative extraordinaire, and catch more of her character in The Drafter, the first book in the all-new suspense trilogy from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison, out September 1.

Every hero, even the accidental ones, have a beginning.

Silas’s radical theory that drafters
Published August 10th 2015 by Pocket Star (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sideswiped, please sign up.
Nikki I read Sideswiped first, and now I'm about 2/3 through The Drafter. Even though Sideswiped takes place first, I would recommend reading The Drafter…moreI read Sideswiped first, and now I'm about 2/3 through The Drafter. Even though Sideswiped takes place first, I would recommend reading The Drafter first. I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out what was going on because it didn't match up with the events of Sideswiped before I realized what was going on. (less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm kind of at a loss . . .

I don't like time travel. Unless it's in one direction and more or less permanent. Technically, I don't particularly like it even then, but in that context it doesn't bother me, so that's something at least.

I don't like the time travel you more frequently encounter, b/c it's too easy . . . Authors can't seem to help themselves, and they take more liberties than they ever would under any other circumstances b/c who-the-hell-cares?-we-can-just-go
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
►► BR with my MacHalo Freaks starting Sept. 7, 2015.

[Last update: Sept. 8, 2015]

And the Short Story Curse continues! First there was Eyes Deep, then there was Freeze Warning and now this? I have the feeling someone is trying to tell me to stick to full-length books from now on

Dear Kim Harrison: I'd warned you that time-travel was my favourite SF subgenre. You didn't listen, did you? Sigh. You dare call this time-travel? You have to be joking. A story about a bunch of immature college students
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

At a university for time travelers and those with related talents, called “drafters,” and the people who anchor drafters back to reality after they shift backwards in time, Silas and his drafter girlfriend Summer meet Peri Reed, who is the main character in Kim Harrison’s related 2015 novel, The Drafter. Silas is a technical whiz, and is already unhappy about the way the system is treating him, and about his pending forced separation from Summer w
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
This was a short story introducing the world of Kim Harrison's new series. The main character was not Peri Reed, but Silas. Silas and his colleagues (and girlfriend) are still in school, but close to graduating. They can manipulate time and go back very short distances to change events. They meet Peri after an event causes them to fail a major test. It's mainly about Silas and his worries about his future and angst over his girlfriend, Summer.

I don't tend to read many shorts, but this was okay.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I liked this short story. Can't wait to start the first book!
☕️Kimberly
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sideswiped takes the reader back five years before The Drafter begins and introduces us to key players. They are all brilliant college students in their senior year and preparing for final exams. One of those tests involves a mission to retrieve an item in a real world environment. Told from the perspective of Silas we learn about the characters, witness their test and see them band together to change the outcome. We are also introduced to Peri Reed a freshman and she makes a grand entrance whic ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars]

This is a MUST READ for the series. :) I loved it!
Bradley
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This isn't fair! This novella needs to be included with the first novel, either as the prologue or the epilogue. It doesn't even have to be one or the other, considering that the novel and the novella are both ripe with time travel, alternate timelines and alternate memories and completely nonlinear even if it takes place at the dawn of the story.

Correction, it takes place after the prologue of the novel, but before the real opening.

Here's the problem, though: Silas and Allen are main character
Meigan
Quite a departure from the previous world from The Hollows, Kim Harrison's beloved series, which is always a good thing. I love that rather than go the same route with witchy stuff, vampires and shifters, she's created a new and fascinating sci-fi world with a focus on a sort of time-travel. I really appreciate when authors differentiate their series by making them completely different, showcasing their creativity, and this new series is a perfect example.

There were futuristic elements, many in
Marianne
Lots of potential and original world building. However, it did not grab me right away like The Hollows did.

Still unsure why this world would choose to educate drafters and anchors (people who can reset and change timelines) and what their true purpose is.

whatever the reason, it's certainly demonstrated how dangerous this line of work can be, when a group of seniors fail their final exam and attempt to correct their mistakes by going back in time - with dire results...

Not entirely convinced, but
Jeanny
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good stuff. I don't think I'll be disappointed with this series.
-1star cliffhanger

============================
This book counts towards my Girls, Guns and Grimoires Challenges > Book Bingo
Category: ANTHOLOGY OR THREE SHORT STORIES
Shelley
*Genre* Science Fiction, Time Travel
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Sideswiped is a 80 page novella that takes place FIVE years before The Drafter begins. Not a whole lot to say about this story. Perhaps it's best described as being an appetizer for what is to come. I dare say that Peri Reed is not the main character. She's a secondary character who appears several times over the course of the story. Dr. Silas Denier is the main character of this novella. Silas has theories about what Drafting, or Time
Sideswiped was a nice introduction to Kim Harrison's new The Peri Reed Chronicles series. It helps set the stage to the world building and terminology. All though Sideswiped is told through Silas' POV we do meet Peri, the main character of the series.

I really enjoyed LaVoy's narration. Her voice and performance reminded me of Elisabeth Rodgers, the narrator for Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series. I only wish I had The Drafter on audio for review but at last, I'll be reading it.
Steven
This shorty provided some fun entertainment with a small time travel twist. I wouldn't say it's Kim Harrison's best work, but it sets the stage for an interesting series first novel in The Drafter.

I did really like Summer, Silas, and Peri. We'll see how it goes with Peri as the main character in the following book.
Christy LoveOfBooks
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2015

This a great intro to the Peri Reed Chronicles! It definitely has me even more excited to read it. I really liked reading from Silas' perspective, so I hope we get more of that in the rest of the series.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Sideswiped is the prequel novella to Harrison's new series The Peri Reed Chronicles, and it sets the background for both the overall story and the characters. Mysterious and dealing prominently with time travel or time change, while also showing how agents are being trained in order to be able to work for a very secret government organization.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Carolyn F.
I am sitting here trying to think about what I want to say about the story. It was confusing, tried to be heartbreaking, really geared toward young adults. I like this author but I'm not sure I'll like this series. So, I'm going to stop here until/if I change my mind.
Julie
Sideswiped by Kim Harrison is a 2015 Pocket Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book as a member of the XOXperts- The Official Street Team of XOXO After Dark.

Kim Harrison's imagination is second to none!

For those who are familiar with Kim Harrison via her “Hallows” series, you will find this new one to be quite a departure. Sideswiped is the prequel to the new Peri Reed Chronicles- a sci-fi- time travel trilogy.

I knew going in, the book was science fiction, that it involved time t
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

Since the end of the Rachel Morgan series, I’ve been itching to see what Ms. Harrison would write next. To say I was extremely intrigued about the Peri Reed Chronicles is an understatement. And now that I’ve gotten a small taste, I’m even more so!

SIDESWIPED is a small sampler of what’s to come in this series and it cements the fact that Ms. Harrison can make you get lost in the most complex worlds with ease. There is a movie that the name escapes me now revolving around a group of peop
Kira

Sideswiped is the intro to the Peri Reed Chronicles. It was the standard boring short story that doesn't give you enough info to care about the plot or the characters. Some people may like this, but I'm not a big fan of short stories in general.

The whole drafting thing is weird and kind of lame. They go back in time for a few seconds to maybe a minute. WTF is that? That's barely even enough to consider it time travel. I was able to understand the basics of drafting but was still confuse
TheGeekyBlogger
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Listened for run (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 3.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

Short Review for a Short Book: Sideswiped by Kim Harrison is the prequel to her new Drafter Trilogy and a good one too boot. You know I don't have major love for the short story but this was a good introduction to the characters (they rocked), the world (still not sure I am on board with what is cool about drafting but they did work the system), and hopefully t
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
Sideswiped was a great introduction to Kim Harrison (for me) and to the world and characters of her new series The Peri Reed Chronicles.

We are introduced to Silas, Peri, Summer and Allen and find out a little bit about exactly what it means to be a drafter and an anchor and a little bit about the training that those with this special ability were subject to. I phrase it that way because…WTH?! You’ll have to read it to understand…

I definitely recommend picking up this novella as it does a great j
Talk Supe
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Forget the sci-fi world building, I'm more interested on HOW Kim H. cooked this new series & where the recipe came from. The woman is a genius, & I mean that in a Mensa kind of way. This is my first Kim Harrison & I am very much impressed!
KathyAnne
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh man... this was a great novella to start off this new series! Totally hooked... :)
Mandy
Silas’s size has kept him from being an agent instead stuck in the background knowing that one day his girlfriend will leave him. Drafting is where the agent replays time changing something that happened previously to create a new outcome. Silas doesn’t believe that’s how it really works he has this idea that there are alternate realities and they are sliding laterality into one and changing it before sliding back. Silas has always been extremely intelligent even smarter than some of the profess ...more
Cathy
It's a pretty substantial story for 99¢, more so than most stories that authors sell between the books or as prologues. It was a great window into Silas's past, it explained some things that were hinted at in The Drafter. And it gave a bit of background about Peri too. People who really enjoyed the book and are curious about the characters shouldn't be disappointed in the story. Even though I didn't quite buy the end and the transition into the book. (view spoiler) ...more
Valerie
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a little click happy when I saw something new from Kim Harrison. I really enjoyed The Hollows, so I jumped on this. It was only once I started this that I realized it was actually a novella prequel to the new Peri Reed Chronicles. My issue with novellas and short stories related to UF series is that they rarely ever feel like they have enough depth for character development and world building. Ms. Harrison does a decent job with this one and I am left wanting more.

This story does a good jo
Irene
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At first I was a bit reluctant to start this new series after the Hollows - I did get to like Rachel very much despite our differences ;) But I shouldn't have been. This short story was great! And the narrator did a marvelous job bringing all the characters to life.

Beware there is no happy ending in this story, because it's a short before the first book in the series and it explains the concept of Drafting and how things come to be. I loved Perry - she is headstrong and resourceful. I loved Sila
Bibliofiendlm
Full review here: http://tinyurl.com/jfc35ye
______________
I really enjoyed this glimpse into a new literary world from Harrison. Time travel books can be a bit dodgey but I think this spin on it sounds interesting. The characters are engaging and readers get just enough insight to imagine that there will be some fallout based on the ending of this story and what is bound to come in The Drafter. I want to know more about Silas and Peri certainly seems sassy with an interesting backstory.
Paulina
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good introduction to the new series. It is a unique world, and Harrison was somehow able to write multi-layered characters in such a short amount of space. She managed to include both the positive and negative potentials of the powers these characters have, as well as the dramatic effects politics play on those potentials. It made me really look forward to reading the first book of the series.

• Five Down
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • Pretty When They Collide (Pretty When She Dies, #0.5)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Meridian Six (Meridian Six, #1)
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
  • Black Water (A Jane Yellowrock Story, #6.3)
  • Flight from Hell (Otherworld #15.5; Fly by Night, #0.5)
  • Hunted Holiday (Bureau of Paranormal Investigation, #1)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • Bad for You 1 (Bad for You, #1)
  • Shadowbound (Shadow World, #5)
  • Frosted (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #2.5)
  • Wickedly Magical (Baba Yaga, #0.5)
  • Vicious Moon (Earth Witches, #3)
  • Treasure of Lima (Rogue Angel, #46)
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund, vol. 14
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Peri Reed Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1)
  • The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)
  • The Agent (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #3)