Start by marking “Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt's Dream Spotless” as Want to Read:
Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt's Dream Spotless

Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt's Dream Spotless

Have you ever wondered what it is like to work at Disneyland? In this book, you'll learn about the world famous Disneyland Custodial team. The authors are two former Disneyland Custodial cast members, and they share their experiences keeping the Magic Kingdom clean for guests from all over the world while working with an assortment of characters. You will encounter hilario ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 459 pages
Published 2015 by Synergy Books

To ask other readers questions about Cleaning the Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cleaning the Kingdom

Mark
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
About 3 times longer than it should have been. Editing is amateur. (I spotted at least a dozen typos without even trying). Needs a couple of detailed maps because hard to visualize all the locations the authors talk about. Also a few pictures would be nice to correspond to the "lingo".
Sara
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's an engrossing, detailed account from true Disneyland insiders.
Cale
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
There are niche books, and then there are NICHE books - this falls in the latter category. Disneyana is niche enough, but a 400+ page book detailing the work schedules and habits of ONE department at Disneyland over a 20-year period is epitomizing nicheness.
That's not to say it's not worth reading - although some of the detail is way too in-depth for general consumption, there is a lot here that is very interesting as it details the ways the sweepers interacted with Disneyland and its guests. An
Melinda Elizabeth
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cleaning The Kingdom, from the podcasters that bring us ‘The Sweep Spot’, is a passionate, insiders view of the Magic Kingdom. It has been painstakingly written, and great care has been taken to keep the magic alive.

The authors, Ken and Lynn, are the Disney employees you want to read about. They worked at Disneyland through the good times and the bad times, and have moved on to bigger and better things, but continue to remain convivial and nostalgic about their time at Disney. This puts their bo
SJChar
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The grammatical errors were prevalent. Perhaps a few more read throughs by the editor would have solved that distraction. Otherwise, the insight this provides to the workings of... working at the park was great. Certainly makes me yearn for a churro while I cruise by Blue Bayou on Pirates of the Caribbean. Now, though, I'm going to make a point of thanking the custodians at Disneyland.
Kitty
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A good read for Disneyland fanatics like us. But the editing was pretty poor, making some sentences unreadable.
Jamie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
So happy to have read "Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt's Dream Spotless", as my mind was opened to this amazing aspect of the Disney company we always appreciate, but rarely hear a lot about. We learn about the various responsibilities, tasks and kinds of shifts of Disneyland janis. Loved reading about typical day, special days, notorious days, changes to the park, knowledge imparted by lifelong cast members, parade mishaps - all that sort of stuff. I am grateful the two auth ...more
Elise
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
Written by two former custodians who worked at Disneyland. They present just exactly what it means to be a custodian at Disneyland. It's actually more interesting than it sounds. I'm a local, so I visit Disneyland often. I never really gave the custodians a second thought, but having read this book I'd say I have a much better appreciation for what they do and who they are. This book is kind of long and long winded at times. There are a lot of details covered, including some I didn't really need ...more
Ronald J.
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting look at how the happiest place on earth is kept so clean, by two former Cast Members from Custodial. You'll learn some things, and some things you wish you didn't. I didn't think the book was very well written, and it was far too long! Needed an editor. There's probably better Disney books to read for fans.
Steve Paulson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Reads more like a bunch of blog posts placed in book format, but there is lots of good information in this book. Could have used some more editing to get it down a few dozen pages, but it’s a good read and if you love Disneyland, I’m sure there are quite a few things you’d find interesting in this book.
Donna Lyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very detailed, reads like a text book....a few interesting stories that kept me reading...kind of like waiting in a very long line for a 3-minute ride - a lot of extraneous information to wade through.
Rob Zison
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent memoir

I enjoy a well written Disney book and memoirs - this is both. A fun read from an unusual point of view - the often overlooked jani.
Daniel Butcher
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney-history
Can janitors be an interesting topic?

Despite a really horrible one semester one bathroom custodial shift, I am going to say in some circumstances yes! And seeing a book about Disneyland’s famed custodial cast members is probably one of the most interesting Between Book topics I had seen in some time. I knew this for sure, it was not going to be your typical guidebook!

Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt’s Dream Spotless by Ken Pellman and Lynn Barron provides some custodial histo
Katie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Anyone who knows me know I am obsessed with Disney. To the point that I have now tried multiple times to read this book where I would usually just give up. I want to love this book, and somewhere in it is a really interesting read, but it's lost in the bad editing, poor formatting, bland voice, and almost textbook like explanations of things. If the authors were to get a better editor and maybe a third writer to work on the voice then this book could be so much better. :(
Elizabeth Ray
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gets 5 out of 5 stars! As a huge Disney fan and one who follows the Sweep Spot podcast, I snagged this book as quickly as I heard about it. I think I discovered a whole new genre of book- non-fictions about the various aspects of my favorite theme park- Disneyland! Like many Disney fans, I have often wondered what went on behind the walls of the magic. What would it be like to work in such a place as Disneyland? With this book, we get a good idea.

I was shocked by how thorough this book
Veronica Noechel
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit, I'm predisposed to loving all things Disney, being born into a family of Disney fans, as I was. And it's true, I'm predisposed to loving all things related to keeping things clean, having OCD and mysophobia*, as I do. Still I think this book is fascinating to nearly anyone who is at all curious about theme parks in general, Disneyland, what it's like to be a Disney Cast Member, or wondered how the parks maintain that exterior shine of glitter and pixie dust when you just know people ...more
Chris Batchelor
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having almost applied for a Walt Disney World Custodial job a few years ago and after reading the series of "Earns Her Ears" books out there on the market, when I noticed this book, I thought "that's just the one I'd like to read now". And plus, I did enjoy reading about a park resort on the other side of the US that I didn't generally read much about from the "Earns Her Ears" books when I read them. But although I did find some of these pieces informative (such as Custodial on the opening day o ...more
Faye
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a great glimpse into the magic! Love the guys at the Sweep Spot, one of my favorite podcasts. Great content...but the editing was lacking and there were quite a few typos.
Laura Schrillo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this look at Disneyland. I think the stories about the regular guests were very interesting. I think it could have used another edit but I would recommend to a Disney fan.
Jessica  Van Tassell
Dec 28, 2016
Emma Shipman
Dec 27, 2017
Jason Carr
rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2016
Gregory Holcomb
Jan 09, 2016
Rachel
Jan 02, 2017
Ryan
Mar 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
“Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin was, at one time, going to have a second level to it. You can still see the balcony where the cabs would have passed by outside. During the early days, there would be a band playing up there.” 0 likes
“restrooms” 0 likes