Start by marking “Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)” as Want to Read:
Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)

Test of the Twins

(Dragonlance: Legends #3)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  24,802 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
Defying the fate that claimed his evil predecessor, Raistlin opens the Portal to the Abyss and passes through. With Crysania at his side, he engages the Queen of Darkness in a battle for the ultimate prize-a seat among the gods.

At the same time, Caramon and Tasslehoff are transported to the future. There they come to understand the consequences of Raistlin's quest-and Cara
Published November 1st 2004 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Test of the Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Test of the Twins

Markus
War returns to Krynn. The Dragonarmies are on the march once more. And in the shadows, Raistlin Majere prepares for his ultimate test: the final confrontation with the Queen of Darkness...

Test of the Twins was a surprisingly good ending to the Legends trilogy, just as Dragons of Spring Dawning was a surprisingly good ending to the Chronicles trilogy. Both of those saved their respective sub-series from hopeless mediocrity after very disappointing middle books, and ended up making both trilogies
Ian Hewitt
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Our last hope, thought Tanis - a dark elf. This is insane! It can't be happening.

Leaning against the stone table, he let his head sink into his hands. Name of the gods, he was tired! His body ached, his wounds burned and stung. He had removed the breast plate of his armor - it felt as heavy as a gravestone, slung around his neck. But as much as his body hurt, his soul hurt worse.

Memories flitted about him like the guardians of the Tower, reaching out to touch him with their cold hands. Caramon
Joseph
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

That's probably the question Raistlin Majere should have asked himself before setting off on his epic quest to take the place of Takhisis, the Dark Queen, Krynn's five-headed dragon god of evil.

But, y'know, mistakes were made ...

So more time travel: After Caramon and Tasslehoff spend some time in the future, they (finally!) return to the present day just in time to meet up with Tanis, who's going to be helpin
notyourmonkey
This almost got bumped down to three stars, because I cannot begin to tell you how much I still don't care about Tanis and Kitiara, but while the good bits were smaller than in the first two books, they were in some ways even sweeter.

Crysania buys a clue! Caramon manages to find a small bit of balance between total dependence on Raistlin and total repudiation of him! Raistlin remains fascinatingly ambiguous! (Did he stop Takhisis at the last minute because he realized that winning would be wron
Gabriella
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AAJSDHFKSAHDFASESFDNSD.

Okay, let me just say that I haven’t read any Raistlin Majere books since I was ten. You guys have NO IDEA the DEPTHS of my childhood unquenchable, unrequited, forbidden (yet everlasting) love for Raistlin. I devoured every single book that had his NAME in it. I read and reread and reread and reread a hundred times scenes, chapters, SENTENCES that involved him.

It started with this series — Time of the Twins had a gorgeous cover that stole my heart. (Who says not to judge a
Ugur
Test of the Twins is the third and last book of Dragonlance: Legends series, which was written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman in 1986.

After reading the first two books of Legends series, I’ve been expecting more from Test of the Twins. I expect a different ending for this novel but I could not find what I expected and the end did not satisfy me.

In this novel you will read mostly Caramon’s adventures and also in this novel Tanis and Kitiara has roles. I could not learn what Raistlin is thinki
Danni
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012, fantasy
After feeling the first book in this trilogy felt rushed and thoroughly enjoying the second one and watching the characters really come into their own, this one took my breathe away and broke my heart. For the first time since I began reading these books, I saw Caramon as more than just Raislin's twin or the brute force of the group - I saw him as a person who has become whole and found himself, which I suspect, is what was intended. The appearances of both Tanis and Kitiara were nice touches an ...more
Alex
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a satisfying ending to such a wonderful, epic story. I'm gonna miss these characters tbh.

Here's hoping I can get my hands on more Krynn books in the future!
Barışcan Bozkurt
Seriye 2-3 yıl önce Ruh Döveni ve Silah Kardeşliği ile başladığımdan karakterlerin geçmişi hatırlamalarında bende onlarla birlikte hatırladım. Bu yüzden bu ve önceki kitapta sahnelerin dramatikliğini arttırışını istesem böyle denk getiremezdim. Fakat ne yazık ki bazı karakterlerin - Crysania veya Kitiara gibi- ve olayların zayıf, sorulara çok açık şekilde işlendiğini düşündüğümden kitabı sevmek istediğim kadar sevemedim. Güzel bir kitaptı, İthaki devamını bastığında da devam edeceğim.
Sam
We're back in the present for this one (after a brief sidetrip somewhen unexpected), as Caramon and Tas race to try to save Krynn from unspeakable horrors, joining forces with an old friend along the way. At the same time, Raistlin and Crysania are fighting their way through the Abyss, in an attempt to defeat the dark queen. Messy? It certainly was (for the characters, I mean, not the book). Again, this was somewhat darker in tone than earlier books set in the Dragonlance world, and there are pl ...more
Jediraven
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Jay
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Very nice conclusion to the original trilogies! Nice to see the return of old friends (Tanis) and old enemies (Kitiara, Lord Soth) and some character arcs closed! This was a very satisfying conclusion. If I never read another Dragonlance book, I could move on and be happy. I still enjoy the world and I would love to read more about Lord Soth, but I can move on feeling satisfied here. I definitely see why everyone has said I had to read ALL SIX of the original novels! The first trilogy left me ki ...more
Aurlin
Kirja oli pettymys jopa henkilölle, joka velloo tällä hetkellä teinivuosiensa Dragonlance-nostalgiassa. Edelliset osat olivat todella viihdyttäviä kaikessa ylitsevuotavassa dramaattisuudessaan ja suhteellisen käsittämättömine juonenkäänteineen. Nyt ainoina valopilkkuina olivat Tanis, joka oli suhteellisen done kaikkien ja kaiken kanssa, ja Dalamar, jonka Raistlin-suhteesta sietäisi kirjoittaa gradu.
Zoran Krušvar
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Dragonlance: Legends" is actually a good series. And that's weird, because game-inspired books do tend to suck big time. I give most credit for complexity of Raistlin's character and for the fact that Caramon suffers from PTSD. And that's just great, because too often fantasy heroes tend to be completely immune to distress and we know that human mind doesn't work that way.
0rkun
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serinin bu kısmına kadar okuduğum en iyi kitap buydu. Soluksuz bitirdim, her şey çok güzeld- Tam burada İthaki araya girip kitabı mahvetti.

Böyle önemli bir seriyi Türkçe'ye kazandırmak gibi bir görev üstleniyorsun. Takdir ediyoruz, destekliyoruz, alıyoruz, okuyoruz. Ama bari okuyucuya biraz saygı göstermek adına bir son okuma falan yapsanız? Kitabın ilk sayfasında yok editör, yok seri danışmanı, 6 tane isim yazıyor. Ama kitapta belki 10 tane nokta yerine yazılmış Ç harfi var. Evet, ben de bazen
Mehmet Ali Yıldırım
En azından laurana saçmalıkarı seviyesinde saçmalıklar yoktu. Sonu başından beri tahmin ettiğim gibi bitti, diğer kitapları gibi. Raistlin gibi bir karaktere daha iyi bir son yazılabilirdi ama neyse ki tasslehoff gibi bir karakter vardı da eğlenerek okuduğum kısımlar oldu.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited untill I finished all three books so I could compare before rating. It started out great but certainly went downhill from there:
Time of the twins: 5 stars
War of the twins: 4 stars
Test of the twins: 3 stars

I borrowed these books from a friend. The covers were so cheesy :-) Nice yellow pages. Gotta love that old book smell!

Overall I had less issues with these books than with the dragonlance chronicles. They felt a bit more mature. The writing has really improved and didn’t annoy me anymor
Antonis
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
(This review is about the whole trilogy)
This is an amazing series. Suffice it to say that I'm not a book re-reader and those three are the only books I've ever read for a second time!! They are that good! In my opinion, (which admittedly was formed when I was much more inexperienced reader and might be a little foggy from the passage of time) this series has everything a reader might expect from a good fantasy read. Very well written and distinct characters, passion, drama, magic, more magic, ex
Dylan
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DragonLance: Chronicles and Legends are two trilogies that hold a really special place in my heart. So much so that I can't really divvy them up into separate reviews. I don't even think I could give an objective review of the books.

But if I know this: if I've had to replace a book from over-reading, that's amazing. I've had to replace these 6 books so many times that I keep spare copies around just in case. True story.

Chronicles Trilogy:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragon
Dale
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragonlance
Fifth book of the commute, rounding out the "Legends" trilogy. Really not much to add that hasn't already been covered in my review of the first two volumes. The trilogy finishes with a bang, a satisfying but bittersweet conclusion. Again, it's the characterization of Caramon and Raistlin and the dynamics of their brotherly relationship that sets this book a notch above most others in the genre.
Elizabeth
A good conclusion to a slow starting trilogy and is it wrong that I'm glad Kitiara finally got what she deserved? Yeah I didn't think so another wonderful addiction for me. :)
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
Raistlin Majere remains a favorite.
Micah Scelsi
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I finished re-reading Chronicles and now Legends. They are books I have not read for a while. In fact, I had completely forgotten about the character Elistan. I suppose he just wasn't action-filled enough for me when I was younger. This third volume of the trilogy was good, but it just wasn't as good as the first two. The first volume set up an amazing story that took place in an amazing time. The second volume in the Legends trilogy kept the story moving. Arguably the second volume was even bet ...more
Alex
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragonlance
(NB Same review on each entry in the series. Mild spoilers)

For folks of my generation the two epic Dragonlance Sagas, Chronicles and Legends respectively, were an essential gateway into fantasy literature, in many ways as essential then as Harry Potter was 10 years ago and similarly as critic-proof. That Dragonlance spin-off novels continued to be published like clockwork for the following 20 years is all the proof needed that Weis and Hickman had captured the imagination of a profitable market,
Colleen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Test of the Twins
Definitely the best of the set! Lots of action and even a specific type of action that I was wanting to see in Chronicles - the hijacking of a citadel! A stand up and cheer moment for me. Another great thing was that you don't even need the first two books to be caught up with the events of this one. I don't mean to be so hard on the first two, but they weren't what I was expecting and the recapping done in Test is sufficient to set up the climax. The layout was very nice consid
Daydreamer
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legends of the Dragonlance 3 by Margaret Weis

Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis:
Raistlin passes the portal and fights the Queen of Darkness while Caramon fights against his plans in the future.

My thoughts:
The story didn’t contain anything surprising. You could read it, it was logical and interesting, but there were no sudden revelations that had you on the edge. I have to say that I enjoy the time-travel aspect and the ending of the series. I can definitely live with that!

Crysania finally redeems hers
Peter Mills
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
look, if you haven't followed the rest of the chronicles and legends, the majority of this book is unbearable tier boring. there is a good 50% of this taken up by Tanis half elven who has shown up seldom anywhere else in legends and is a bloody boring character used to obviously flesh out the book, between him and caramon and tasslehof wandering the desert the first half of this book is barely worth skimming.
but man, the second half and ending if this are so satisfying. definitely worth the trou
Laurie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series did not disappoint. Although I was nervous during the second book at where theae characters were going, I thoroughly enjoyed this second trilogy. (Reviewing the whole trilogy here).

The one takeaway that will stay with me from this series (and Chronicles) is people underestimate love. It is often overlooked or mistaken as weakness.

I will remember this series fondly. I read Chronicles in high school and never finished this series. I am glad I finally did now.
Viel Nast
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the end has come. darkness and light mingle into a haze and alliances are made and broken as the world of Krynn screams and shudders under the great events. the future is known and must change but that means more sacrifices. Caramon will do his part finally seeing clearly the first time in his life and Raistlin will be faced with himself having defeated anyone else. in the end, everyone is rewarded for his efforts either receiving or giving but the dragon wars are finally over. for now...
Marianne
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mine
Difficult to choose between "liked it" and "it was okay".

With the story almost entirely about the twins and kender, this book starts dragging in story from the first series to tie up things about Tanis and Kitiara. It felt very unrelated.

Otherwise, the book tied up things nicely. But the flow of story wasn't as nice as the other two books.
A better book than this? 15 52 May 18, 2015 10:29AM
test of the twins climax: Is Raistlin good or evil? 42 219 Apr 09, 2013 04:47PM
Do you think that this is an overplayed D&D campaign, or a brilliant book - and why? 2 30 Jan 28, 2013 06:43AM
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • The Qualinesti (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #3)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • Empire of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #3)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonlance: Legends (3 books)
  • Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
“Wedding song (reprise)
But you and I, through burning plains,
through darkness of the earth,
affirm the world, its people,
the heavens that gave them birth,
the breath that passes between us,
this new home where we stand,
and all those things made larger by
the vows between woman and man.”
1 likes
“reach out your hand, and it will touch the hand of someone reaching out to you, and—together—you will find the strength and hope you need to go on.” 0 likes