Start by marking “Calm Technology: Designing for Billions of Devices and the Internet of Things” as Want to Read:
Calm Technology: Designing for Billions of Devices and the Internet of Things

Calm Technology: Designing for Billions of Devices and the Internet of Things

How can we use technology as tools instead of letting our technology use us? This practical book explores the concept of calm technology, a method for smoothly capturing the user s attention only when necessary, while calmly remaining in the user s periphery most of the time. You ll learn how to design products that work well, launch well, are easy to support, easy to use, ...more
Published June 25th 2016 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Calm Technology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calm Technology

Emily
This book had a terrible case of magazine-article-as-book syndrome; I was so excited by the topic that I immediately bought it, but came away seriously disappointed.

The first problem is that there is about 25 pages of unique, innovative, relevant content in these 125 pages. The writing is redundant, often repeating the same calls to action over and over, superfluously restating points that were sort of interesting the first time but quickly lose their luster, and did I mention that it is redunda
Ryan
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Amber Case clearly has some important things to say about how we notify. Business goals (and start-up 'glory') encourage us to get in front of our users as many times as we can. Attention serves as a proxy for starting new behaviors and habits which become sticky.

Amber rightfully asks the question whether it's the right way to make technology. Imagine a coffee maker sending you 5 texts and emails if you didn't make coffee. It doesn't make sense, and it serves as a distraction from the things we
Alja
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The principles of calm technology are solid, and I had big expectations for the book. Unfortunately, the execution is lacking, relying on broad generalizations and simplifications, without looking at relevant research. For instance, how can a book on this topic largely avoid accessibility issues and keep advocating for solutions that are problematic for people with visual or hearing impairment? Also, a lot of questionable claims about human attention are made without supporting research.

I did f
Vasilis
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s pretty good for designers who create ordinary stuff for ordinary people but I couldn’t stop thinking about what screenreaders would be like if their creators had read this book.
Amber Case
How can you design technology that becomes a part of a user’s life and not a distraction from it? This practical book explores the concept of calm technology, a method for smoothly capturing a user’s attention only when necessary, while calmly remaining in the background most of the time. You’ll learn how to design products that work well, launch well, are easy to support, easy to use, and remain unobtrusive.

Author Amber Case presents ideas first introduced by researchers at Xerox PARC in 1995,
conor
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Somewhat more geared towards physical products but still interesting.
Alex James

• Resilience Thinking: Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World
  • SQL Performance Explained
  • How We Think: Digital Media and Contemporary Technogenesis
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Blue Team Handbook: A Condensed Field Guide for the Cyber Security Incident Responder
  • Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years
  • Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS
  • The Rust Programming Language
  • Threat Modeling: Designing for Security
  • iDisorder: Understanding Our Obsession with Technology and Overcoming Its Hold on Us
  • The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
  • Designing for Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics
  • Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value Through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams
  • The Formula: How Algorithms Solve all our Problems … and Create More

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »