Start by marking “Silver (Sarabeth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver (Sarabeth, #1)

Silver

(Sarabeth #1)

My mother is determined that I will have a wonderful life -- better than her own. I guess she can't imagine what it is like for me, a kid from a trailer park, to transfer to the junior high school where all the rich kids go -- the kind of kids who come from homes where my mother works as a cleaning woman....

But somehow, miraculously, I've become part of a little clique of
Published October 2nd 1989 by Morrow/Avon (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver

Ratscats
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You're wish is my command, Laurel.

I went to my psychologist appointment yesterday. And while I was in the middle of crying about being ugly and weird, my lady doctor says "And who does that remind you of, hmmm?" And I say "Uhhh, I dont know?"
And she says, "Sounds like your mother to me."

Fuck, right?

I know my relationship with my parents is kind of bizarre, but my psychologist made me realize something that I can't stop thinking about.
90% of the time mother does not acknowledge my presence. I
elissa
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ya fiction fans
One of the first YA books I read after becoming a YA librarian, by one of my favorite childhood authors (who was one of the reasons I became a YA librarian--I once got to tell that to Mazer at a Books for the Teenage reception at Donnell library in NYC).
Rose
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't rate this book without bias because it's a childhood favorite. When I was 10 years old I owned only a handful of books & this was one of them, thus I read it dozens of times. I recently came across a copy & just had to get it as my old one was lost over the years. Reading it again, these many years later, was quite an experience. It was a quick read & quite good for its time, but if I didn't have a history with it I would have given it 3 stars. I liked it, sure, but as a chil ...more
laaaaames
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to laaaaames by: Rochelle Hartson
My best friend had talked for ages about this book she'd read over and over as a kid and loved, despite its dark subject matter. Last weekend, our powers combined, we FINALLY solved this mystery, and I ordered it for her (since thanks to my Amazon Prime membership I get free shipping) so of course I couldn't let it leave my apartment without my having read it first.

And I'm really glad I did, even though, geez, YA from the 1990s is so crazy different from YA now. Seriously, it's just written so d
Michelle
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reread (for the 10,000th time), November 2015:
R.I.P. Aunt Becky. I think of you every time I read this book. I love it so much still, so thanks for buying it for me :)

Original review from June 2009:
I love this book. My Aunt Becky bought it for me at a used bookstore years and years ago, and I used to read it over and over. Somewhere along the way, I lost my copy or gave it away for some other girl to enjoy. I finally found a copy at a library book sale recently and I was ECSTATIC. I read through
Lesr Kew
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
a great book that I know was awesome when I read it as a teenager. it was still good and that says a Lot!
Marna
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best
I am still angry about the second book.
Lori J
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this in high school and only recently tracked a copy down. I remember missing P.E again and having to sit in the rickety, cold storage hut while everyone ran outside. I had taken this out of the library and always had a book on hand.
Reading this as an adult makes you realize just how clever Fox Mazer's writing is. She weaves these characters that feel so real, and pulls you into their life. Each of Sarabeth's friends are distinct, her own struggles to fit in are still very resonant today
Sara
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading a book from my junior high days. Still good, well written, I could easily picture the whole story.
Louie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Shelves: favorites
Very good novel, highlighting the struggle of growing up and finding new friends. Amazing Y.A. fiction
Rachel
An old (old old) read / nostalgic palette-cleanser.
Steven
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books I found myself picking up over and over when I was in high school (thank god for libraries). I recently reread it now because

1) I wanted to see if it stood up to my standards now that I'm an adult.
2) This site recently informed me there was actually a sequel, called Girlhearts, that I wasn't aware of and I wanted to brush up on this so I could read that properly.

I was pleased to find that it still stands as some pretty solid YA fare. This story was published in 1989,
Hannah
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Silver by: Norma Fox Mazer
Can you imagine having to start a new life. Moving away from your school, all your friends, and even your home? That is what twelve-year-old Sarabeth had to do. New bus, new school, new class, new kids. Can you even imagine?
The book Silver by Norma Fox Mazer is a wonderful, sensitive, and meaningful friendship story. It is about a girl named Sarabeth Silver who lived in Morrisview Central and has to leave everything, and move to Roadview Trailer Park. Just so she can go
Trixie Fontaine
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Picked this one up in a community honor-bar shelf just because it reminds me of being a YA myself since Norma Fox Mazer was around back then. I wish I had time to read more YA books - this one definitely isn't preachy, the characters don't all do the right things (but they also don't do anything terribly wrong); still, it's not meant simply as idle entertainment and that's obvious.

The topic was handled with sensitivity and natural context so it didn't feel like the whole book was all about that
Laura Goldstein
Feb 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Emma
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddie-stuff
A conversation I had with Matt the other day about books from childhood led me to remember this one. I read it over and over it had such a profound affect on me. I won't give anything away but I'm so happy to have remembered it. I think it may be out of print now which is a real shame. I would definitely pass this onto my own daughter.
Sara Thompson
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a pre-teen person. I had to read "After the Rain" in school and hated it, but I loved "Silver." It deals with the scary subject of child sexual abuse in a pretty down to earth, nonexplicit way. I love the descriptions of Sarabeth and her mom at home in the trailer park which are real without being cliches.
Jennifer Padgett
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In retrospect, I loved this book because it mirrored my own life. Moving from a trailer to a rich suburb of Austin in the 6th grade left its mark on me for better or worse. I am sad this is out of print. Please don't weed it, librarians! It also deals with discovering how a friend's secret has made her into the person she is.
Celeste
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reread this for the first time since I was young - because I want to read Girlhearts the sequel. I think I loved it even more than when I read it back then, or maybe it was just the nostalgia kicking in. I remember wanting a relationship like Sarabeth had with her mom, and Leo being the coolest. And a group of girlfriends like Grant, Asa, Jennifer, and Patty.
Kevin H.
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is about how a girl's life went from complete failure into being superior than everyone else. Her family is very poor, though she was lucky enough to get into a very good school. There, she met a lot of rich girls and began to change. She joined the "popular girls" group and learned all of the terrible problems and secrets that she has to keep to herself...
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really wonderful book which shows that we need to look at more than just the external appearance of people. Silver learns that even her rich friends can have very severe personal problems of their own.
Cinco
Jul 19, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
Only acceptable reading when you are actually a young adult. A friend recommended this as "a book I loved when I was younger," but it sure didn't hold up. Poor writing, boring characters--a waste of time.
Cupcakencorset
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A bit old-fashioned by today's YA standards, but still well worth reading. Touching on sexual abuse and class distinctions and teenage crap and family relationships, it's a really good book, especially for its time.
Kristee
I loved this book when I was younger and there are certain scenes that have stuck with me but I couldn't remember the author and didn't have much luck until when I tried to search for it. I should give it a reread sometime soon.
Pam
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first read this in middle school and it was one of my favorites. When I joined goodreads, I found out there was a sequel. Since it had been so long since I read Silver, I decided to reread it before reading the next book.
Lala
For some reason I feel like the review I want to write is really the one from Judy Blume's Tiger Eyes. I remember reading these two books at the same time and neither of them being that memorable.
Judi
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good young adult (and I'm thinking in the 14-15 age range) novel about a sensitive and disturbing subject. I avoided reading this because I suspected what that subject was, but in fact it had a good balance between normal teen issues and the more serious problem.
Ravegirl172
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was great...the true meaning of friendship...
Erin
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
A bit disjointed - lots going on here (class, sexual abuse, etc.).
Lauren
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
the best book i read in young adulthood.

• The Great Mom Swap
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • How Do You Lose Those Ninth Grade Blues?
  • Unfinished Business (Beggars and Choosers, #2)
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • Discovered (Little Boy Lost, #4)
  • Secret, Silent Screams
  • Saturday Night (Saturday Night, #1)
  • Long Live the Queen (The President's Daughter, #3)
  • Atom Heart John Beloved
  • 366 Days
  • Tree by Leaf
  • Why the Star Stands Still (Gives Light, #4)
  • The Bravest Thing
  • The Girl in the Box
  • Breaking Saint Jude
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
  • The Arizona Kid
Norma Fox Mazer was an American author and teacher, best known for her books for children and young adults.

She was born in New York City but grew up in Glens Falls, New York, with parents Michael and Jean Garlan Fox. Mazer graduated from Glens Falls High School, then went to Antioch College, where she met Harry Mazer, whom she married in 1950; they have four children, one of whom, Anne Mazer, is a

Sarabeth (2 books)
  • Girlhearts (Sarabeth, #2)