Start by marking “Stand For Something OR Stand For Nothing: The Story Of How A Mother And Daughter Fought One Of The Richest Men In The World” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

In 2002, Former NBA owner Donald Sterling acquired the Ardmore Apartments in mid-Wilshire Los Angeles, California where Kandynce
Jones was living for many years before the acquisition. Kandynce Jones, a Black woman who was legally blind, right side paralyzed due to a bad spinal fusion surgery, and suffered with Sickle Cell Anemia was just living peacefully in her apartment
Published July 7th 2015 by Ebony Jones-Kuye

Joan Vassar
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is like an intimate conversation with the author. The story pulled me in and though sad at times I felt inspired. The author has a knack for making you feel the emotion behind the words. You will feel the story and love the author. Great read intense and emotional... very Uplifting.
Brenda James
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the story of Ebony Jones and Kandynce Jones who never gave up on life or fighting Donald Sterling. This book is amazing! I ordered this book on Barnes & Noble and I had to create an account to rate this wonderful book because this story is amazing. I love reading and I needed a book to lift me up and I never expected this would be the book! It's a story that everyone can relate to in their everyday life! A daughter that grew up fast to care for a sick mother and a mother who didn't st ...more
Chi
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! The personal perspective that the author takes makes you feel that she sees herself no better than anybody else, and that we all go through things, some really awful, but you should never, EVER, give up. I've been through a lot of things in my life, serious things, and this book makes me realize that you can be stronger than you think you can. If she and her Mother, her ailing Mother, could take on Donald Sterling, I can take on just as much, if not more. Bravo!
Samantha Rodriguez
Such a wonderful book of a mother and daughter! One of my favorite books this year. The author kept my attention all the time in this book. This was a good weekend read for me. I am now lending the book to my sister to spread the word of this wonderful story!
Philip Lanrecole
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story!It really proves no matter your status,you should always fight up violation,it teaches how to surmount difficult task in this world..........
I really admire it.
Brenna
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stand for Something is something I really enjoyed reading. Ebony Jones-Kuye writing style is very conversational, almost as if she's sitting across the table and having a cup of coffee and discussing this topic with me. This memoir covers her time growing up part in Texas, mostly in California, trying to get a good education while dealing with her brother's death, gangs, her mom's health issues stemming from Sickle Cell Anemia, and eventually the housing discrimination that her mom and many othe ...more
Carmen Simpson
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an inspirational book to read. People go through so much everyday and never stop to realize that there is someone that is struggling harder than you and made it. This story made me sad, upset, angry, and happy, and inspired. I was sad because of all the pain that the mother and daughter went through in their lives, I was upset and angry at Donald Sterling and because I supported him at a time that he was an unknown racist to me with a mainly black basketball team, and I was happy a ...more
Colleen Lowe
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate the message put forth with ‘Stand for Something or Stand for Nothing.’ I think it’s important for people to learn about these kinds of struggles so they might feel inspired to tackle such injustices on their own.

Kandynce Jones has already had so much going against her in life before Donald Sterling tried to make it all that much worse. The fact that she and her daughter had the energy to try and take on a goliath like Sterling is very inspiring.

Ebony Jones-Kuye’s book is a tr
Judy Grady
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book review is long overdue. I started reading this book - Stand for Something or Stand for Nothing and I could not put it down. The Author's personal real life experiences are those you can relate with. Losing FAMILY that are so close and dear to your heart and having the stregth to continue a up hill battle all alone.
Also gathering the courage within to fight against one of the most powerful and richest man is truly amazing. This is an awesome book... Always stand for what you beleive in
Beth Ann
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. Could not put it down! I knew the story line going in...but it was the heartfelt writing and messages of strength and new definitions of what a family can look and be, for any one of us, that was most compelling.
linda charron
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

I started this at bedtime and stayed up to finish it. Very inspiring, but sad that people like Donald Sterling still walk among us.
Bamikole
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whao! the book was amazing!
Ebony Jones-Kuye
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ebony Jones-Kuye
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebony
Oct 22, 2015
John MacLean
Mar 08, 2016
Maha
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2017
  • Baby Wanted
  • Memoirs of a Girl Who Loves God
  • Operation Nimrod: The Iranian Embassy Siege
  • Alex Haley: And the Books That Changed a Nation
  • Rubies Fall (Diamonds Fall #2)
  • Passport to Hiroshima: The Unthinkable, Inspiring Journey of a Japanese-American Family - Based on a True Story
  • The Answer to Everything
  • 14 Days: A Mother, A Daughter, A Two Week Goodbye
  • Love Muffin and Chai Latte
  • Redux (The Variant Series, #3)
  • Wonder
  • Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God
  • Skully (Perdition Games)
  • The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando
  • Abide
  • The Frenchman
  • Striking Gridiron: A Town's Pride and a Team’s Shot at Glory During the Biggest Strike in American History
A lifelong Los Angeles resident who loves Thriller movies and learning about History. In between working in HR Recruiting, hanging with her husband and daughter, and being active in Top Ladies of Distinction which is a non-profit humanitarian organization, I have found the time to write my first book which is a true life story based on real events that happen in my life. My mother and I faced deva ...more