Start by marking “The Boat” as Want to Read:
The Boat

The Boat

A stunningly inventive, deeply moving fiction debut: stories that take us from the slums of Colombia to the streets of Tehran; from New York City to Iowa City; from a tiny fishing village in Australia to a foundering vessel in the South China Sea, in a masterly display of literary virtuosity and feeling.
In the magnificent opening story, "Love and Honor and Pity and Pride
Published May 13th 2008 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Boat, please sign up.
Gerald Read the book and do your own assignment. You might end up learning something.

Start your review of The Boat
Cindy
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The production quality, art direction, sound design, and every other thoughtful decision that went into crafting this interactive web comic is what pushes this story to 5 stars. I think if I had read this story in a traditional format with just the text, I would have rated it 3 stars, because the short length and choppy writing don’t provide much context for the historical setting or enough to make me emotionally connected to the characters. However, the craft truly enhanced the story to make it ...more
PattyMacDotComma

I was delighted to find this book of well-written short stories by Aussie author Nam Le, who arrived here by boat as a refugee from Vietnam when he was only one.

These eight stories are all quite different from each other and Le speaks in many voices from different countries, all believable: Vietnamese, Colombian, Japanese, Iranian, Australian.

I think my favourite is the young Aussie lad in the fishing family with the sick mum. Football, a girl, bullies, a jetty, a struggling dad and younger
Emily
Jun 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
*sigh* Where do I even begin with what went wrong with this book. It started off so well. Certain scenes are so well described that I was really invested as a reader. However, I hate the way he ends each story... or rather, doesn't.

The first story felt like a good introduction chapter to a novel, except it's not a novel it was just a short story on its own. In turn it made the story have a horrible ending with a quick sum-up of what the character understood from the events in a few sentences.

I
✨    jamieson   ✨
dnf at page 205 (with 2 short stories to go)

I read the first story in this collection for uni and I really liked it. I wanted to read more of Nam Le's short stories, because why wouldn't you when you really liked one.

I can say for me the first short story, the one I'd already read, is the best one. It gripped me and piqued my interest and I've actually read it 3 or 4 times now. Really like it

But none of the other stories were really grabbing my interest. And the thing is, there's no doubt Nam L
Daren
So, looking at other reviews for this book, it was clearly a love or hate book, and unfortunately I am far close to the hate end of the scale the an the love end!

This is a collection of seven short stories by a Vietnamese Australian author. The first story, and the last (titular) story are autobiographical in some shape or form, the others take place in a range of places - the USA, Iran, Colombia and Japan.

For me the stories didn't read well. They were awkward or clunky in their transitions (in
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
this broke my heart into a billion pieces :)))))

first book for asian readathon - read an asian book you can’t relate to (not asian/vietnamese, not a man) 🇻🇳
rebeca
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I have to admit, I am still ten pages from finishing this book, but I can't do it anymore! With the exception of the first story, this book bored me to tears. I give it two starts instead of one, because Le is a great writer. At fear of sounding like a literary agent, I will still say that I couldn't relate to any of these characters or their lives. And this is because the writer didn't make it easy for me to relate to them. Le is an excellent writer, but a horrilbe story teller. He never drew m ...more
leynes
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to leynes by: Cindy
Based on a narrative by Nam Le, The Boat tells the story of a young girl's arduous journey from Vietnam as an asylum seeker. It is the first interactive webcomic that I've ever read and I am in awe at the production quality and the thought that went into the design and formatting. I especially enjoyed the soundtrack and how it enhanced the scenes at hand.

The feelings of claustrophobia and the inhumane conditions on the boat really came across through the hauntingly beautiful music and fitting so
Thomas
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Faulkner, you know," my friend said over the squeals, "he said we should write the old verities. Love and honor and pity and pride and compassion and sacrifice."

This quote is planted square in the middle of Nam Le's opening story, a metafictional conceit that allows the author to address the reader directly about how ethnicity and the immigrant experience can both confer a special status on an author while also becoming a crutch, hobbling his imagination.

That's precisely what I admire so much a
Brendan
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
like Bon Iver's debut album of last year this book proves that sweet art will make its way when it's at it's least eager. a quiet, brilliant idyll. each story sent me on a one hour walk around the canyons. the first one and the last one were my favourites and 'halflead' could've been a winton short from 'the turning'. im officially jealous of this vietnamese australian master-craftsman.
Jason
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
These are quite simply some of the most amazing stories I have ever read. I am not typically an avid fan of short stories. I typically find them little more than character sketches (like E. Annie Proulx's Postcards) or short scenes that are surely a part of a greater whole but simply leave me with a literary hole. But Nam Le has done something amazing with most of his stories -- they smack of realism, the characters are full, the stories hold up on their own and are not just false starts of nove ...more
eleventeen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Please take 30 minutes (on an iPad or computerx not a phone, mobile doesnt quite work)and scroll through this dynamic webcomic. Even if you're like me and not a huge fan of most graphic novels or comics, just take 30. The design is INCREDIBLE, the use of sound and music highlighting every moment of this, and the inventive use of comic panels that reacted to the reader scrolling down as well as to the sound effects is just goddamn brilliant.

THe story too, is poignant, though it didn't quite gras
Starlah
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I read the interactive webcomic adaptation found here:

The time, care, and thought that went into the production, art design, sound design and every other aspect of this is utter brilliance. I definitely think reading the story this way was much more enjoyable than reading the text alone which was very short in length and choppy. I also found the story lacking some historical context and establishment of emotional connection to stories, but the experience overall was so enjoyable, I still want to
January
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It takes me four years to thoroughly finish this book.
I read the first story four years ago and love this author since then. People in the west tend to consider Le as an immigrant writer because of his unusual personal history. They consider all those exotic stories fantastic and people born and raised like this somehow have the duty to write about these things, people they'll never meet, lives they'll never live and burdens they'll never carry. It makes sense that people tend to be curious abo
James Barker
7 stories. 7 decades. The US. Colombia. Japan. Iran. Vietnam. Somewhere in the mix the voices break, voices merge… this Aussie writer of Vietnamese origin needs to narrow his horizons.

The stories are book-ended by the two that are concerned with the Vietnamese condition during and after the War. They have varying levels of success, although the first ('Love and Honor and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice' - a quote from Faulkner) wins out in its consideration of what should be utilised
Declan Melia
The second collection of short stories I've read since records began. The first was Borges' Labyrinths, which is a completely different kettle of fish so lets consider this the first. If you like short story collections as I do then this book should be at the top of your to read list. Each of the eight stories are at once remarkably different, absorbing and completely transportive. Le is an Australian of Vietnamese heritage living in New York and this collection is suitably cosmopolitan. In addi ...more
Zim
Aug 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I give one star? But before I say anything with regards to the rating that I gave, I want to summarize this book by magnifying the things that I think signify each short story in it.

1. The Blazing Gasoline Drum for Love and Honor and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice
2. Grenade for Cartagena
3. The Concert Hall for Meeting Elise
4. Home for Halflead Bay
5. Letter & Planes for Hiroshima
6. Candle for Tehran Calling
7. Sharks for The Boat

If you want to know why did I choose the listed
Nicholas Buzanski
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Boat is a breathtaking & heartbreaking work of literary genius. Each of Nam Le's stories are a world so completely real & realized that they feel like a living, breathing being. His understanding of human emotions know no boundaries of age, race, country or gender & is only overshadowed by the beauty & mastery of Le's writing. For those who do not read short stories, please do not let that stop you from picking up this book; each story is a novel in itself. The intensity of character & place ...more
Calum
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, I haven't finished this book in the traditional sense, but for now I think I'm done with it. Before going any further I want to say that the author is good. In fact Very good. Many times I found myself wishing I could write with such depth, such empathy. The first three stories in this collection I really enjoyed. The latter three for some reason lost my interest. Anyway, the issue is not with the author but with me. I didn't have the patience to appreciate it.
I hope one day to do Nam Le jus
Vivian
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Theres no denying it - Nam Le is an incredible writer. His poetry background is blatantly obvious in the prose. Its just a shame none of these stories left any impact on me. The concepts and ideas are interesting but I really struggled at times to stay engaged. Also had a bit of an issue with his female characters throughout - found them particularly one-dimensional.
bianca
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
OH MY GOD this was so heartbreaking
Tara
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
they gave a whole new meaning to the concept of webcomics

Richard
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Beautiful. Disturbing. I just read an Advanced Reader's Copy of this book and was particularly impressed by Le's ability to create characters that all convincingly inhabit so many different landscapes and cultures. I was expecting a more specific cultural tone or flavor from this book--but the stories and persepctives are radically different, and are able to stand alone as their own worlds, which to me signals an astounding stylistic range--clearly the writer could have stuck with just one ...more
Brian O'Riley
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a gorgeous book. The writer's dexterity in moving from geography to geography is itself a reason to read it, and my favorite is the last story, the titular "The Boat" (also the longest), in which a young girl is fleeing Vietnam after the war. The story ties in brilliantly with the first one in the collection, "Love and Honor and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice" (best short story title ever), in which the son of a Vietnamese refugee is trying to write his father's story. Le's ...more
Vanessa
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Beyond the opening story, this is a fairly forgettable collection. After the third story it became a chore to read and after the dreadful Halflead Bay it became a penance to even look at the thing.

The writer definitely has skill and - I believe - a bright future, but it seemed to me that he still is developing his talent. Despite not really enjoying this collection, I will keep an eye out for future work from him.
Katarina Norrgård
I'm not sure I can find words to describe what I felt about these short stories. I read up on the author, and realised to my horror that this is his only released work to date. I would love to read more by Nam Le! The book contains seven short stories that span half the world and tell the stories of very different people. The stories themselves seem to be magical, because no matter if the characters are a fourteen-year-old hired killer in Colombia, a Vietnamese girl in a refugee boat in the Sout ...more
(inactive)
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
oh my goodness, that was horrific and beautiful and true and i- all the work that went into that production was simply incredible. please, if you are able, read the story for yourself, with this link here for free. make sure your audio is on because- holy shit.

Alja ✨
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
First interactive web comic I've read and it was really well done. The story was historically important and sad, but it was very short so I didn't really connect with the character(s).
wonkasbookfactory
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
* 5 stars as a web comic
Nouha

I pay my internet subscription for THIS.
Handy Shares the Top West Coast Boating Locations to Melt Your Cares Away 1 2 Mar 26, 2020 12:31PM
Play Book Tag: The Boat (Interactive graphic) 1 14 Feb 17, 2020 08:30PM

• The Hunter
  • Swallow the Air
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Drover's Wife
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Become Human
  • Beauty
  • The Deep
  • 二哈和他的白猫师尊
  • The Perseverance
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Dowager Magus (Spellslinger, #1.1)
  • In The Clearing
Nam Le came to Australia from Vietnam with his parents, when he was less than a year old, as a boat refugee. He went to Melbourne Grammar School and the University of Melbourne, from where he graduated with a BA (Hons) and LLB (Hons). His Arts thesis supervisor was the Australian poet Chris Wallace-Crabbe. He worked as a corporate lawyer and was admitted to the Supreme Court of Victoria in 2003/20 ...more

News & Interviews

“The thing is not to write what no one else has written but to write what only you could have written.'
I found this fragment in my old notebooks. The person who wrote that couldn't have known what would happen: how a voice hollows how words you once loved can wither on a page.”
5 likes
“The thing is not to write what no one else could have written, but to write what only you could have written.” 3 likes