Start by marking “A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1)

A Murder in Time

(Kendra Donovan #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  13,083 ratings  ·  1,797 reviews
Beautiful and brilliant, Kendra Donovan is a rising star at the FBI. Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her team is murdered, a mole in the FBI is uncovered and she herself is severely wounded. As soon as she recovers, she goes rogue and travels to England to assassinate the man responsible for the deaths of her teamm ...more
Published April 15th 2016 by Pegasus Books (first published April 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder in Time, please sign up.
Jessica Given that there is a significant amount of swearing and sexually-motivated gruesome death, I would not recommend it to anyone under age 18. There are…moreGiven that there is a significant amount of swearing and sexually-motivated gruesome death, I would not recommend it to anyone under age 18. There are a few other things that I can't say without spoiling that may indicate that this should be read by an adult audience. If it were a movie, it would definitely be rated R.

As a further aside, I think this book will generally be more interesting and engaging to women. The protagonist is a woman who has to deal with gender-based struggles (both in 2015 and 1815), so it will probably resonate more with a female audience.(less)
Heather This is definitely not a standalone. I don't want to give away any plot points but I'd say the murder mystery Kendra is involved with is resolved in…moreThis is definitely not a standalone. I don't want to give away any plot points but I'd say the murder mystery Kendra is involved with is resolved in this book but the rest of the story is not.(less)

·  13,083 ratings  ·  1,797 reviews

Emilie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book sounded very intriguing, and I really wanted to enjoy it. I had a hard time with it, though. It seemed as though the author spent too much time setting up Kendra, the heroine, and providing background/motive for her actions. While that is important, a great deal of what went on in the first several chapters was completely unnecessary to the rest of the book. I really did not get into the story until Chapter 11. I also had a hard time relating to Kendra. She was supposed ...more
Beverly
This is a very enjoyable mystery with a sprinkling of time travel dusted on top. The modern day scenes, obligatory at the beginning and end are perfunctory and uninteresting; however the 1815 time period which encompasses the rest of the story is done well, especially the scenes in which a modern woman tries and fails at being a lady.
Only a few things annoyed me, the use of "mayhap" continuously through the narrative, and the use of anachronistic words like "sociapath" without explanations to t
Cordelia
Jun 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I was 1/4 way through this book before I got fed up with details that rang false and a heroine I had no sympathy for. I should have quit when her hair went from "Her scalp had been shaved for surgery, but a half inch of dark hair had grown in" to "styled with blunt cut bangs and a sleek bob that curved an inch below her jaw" in 3 months. The library Big Read committee should be embarrassed to promote such drivel.
CJK
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ms. McElwain - you should demand a better editor. A better editor would have caught little things like: why end most of your chapters with a foreshadowing sentence? Why have 3 POV's when 2 weren't even flushed out - did you really need Morland's? And why include the 'Murderer's' POV so sporadically? Why not include how Kendra escaped from the chains???? Does the story really need the prologue to set up the rest of the book??? And really, romance in the last few chapters - was that really necessa ...more
Poonam
This is my Book Of the Month- September 2017, with GR group- Nothing But Reading Challenges- Category: Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM.
I also had a lot of fun discussing this book with Nameeta

I started this book without reading the blurb I had read the blurb before deciding to join the group read but did not remember a word of it, which worked out for the best as everything that happened was a pleasant surprise and I kept looking forward to the next great twist in this story.

This story is a great comb
Anna
I had such high hopes for this book, and it was such an utter disappointment. Reading this book was like being promised something akin to the time period/genteel witticisms of Jane Austen and the murder mystery chops of Agatha Christie, and instead ending up with the blandness of "Death Comes to Pemberley" and the mystery-solving finesse of a little kid wearing a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker with his finger up his nose. There was just SO much wrong here that I don't even know where to properly be ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Kendra Donovan is a rising star at the FBI. But, after a catastrophic raid where half her team is killed, and she nearly also, she is furious to learn that the man responsible for the deaths is going scot-free. So, she decides to go after him no matter what. She goes rogue and travels to Aldrich Castle, England, where she plans to assassinate the man in question. But, something goes wrong, in a stairwell running from a foe she is suddenly transported back in time, to 1815. There she must try to ...more
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
The novel fits in to the time-slip genre; an FBI profiler gets hauled back to the early 1800s and becoming involved in a murder case which she believes is the work of a serial killer. Her investigation is hampered by her gender, the complete lack of investigation (they don't even have a proper police force in England yet) and the biases of class.

It was well paced, the action scenes decently written and the plot kept me reading until the end. There was an underwritten romance, I didn't have much
Stephanie
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d like to start off my mentioning the whole concept of time-travel story. Sometimes it works in stories and sometimes it does not. In this story, it works and the author gives such a brilliant and believable description of Kendra being pulled through time. For me that was pretty intense. I could almost feel the physical pain she was going through.

I really dig the premise of an FBI Agent traveling through time and ending up working a case of a 19th century murder that turns into much more. You
Lori
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, though, it was a bit rough around the edges. Much of the dialogue I found unbelievable, however, the story was so well developed that I can not give this less than 4 stars. I was completely engaged and did not see the end coming. If McElwain can polish up some of the smaller details & continue developing this story there's no reason the rest of this series can't be 5 star reads.
DeB MaRtEnS
A Murder in Time is a bit of a mess, as far as rating it on a stellar representation of Georgian England's time period, the manner of speech and the distinct class and gender divisions. The promise of time travel, too, proved one simple shift, with Kendra the FBI agent finding herself in a duke's castle in 1815 rather than the one she began with today.

However, it's a bit of improbable fun - when there is time travel, anything goes! Kendra blows into the household in a lady's maid costume, gradu
Jess (Primrose)
A modern day prodigy FBI serial killer profiler is transported back to 1815 England. She discovers a a serial killer who fancies himself similar to Sir Frances Dashwood, founder of the infamous Hell Fire Club. The body of a horrifically tortured prostitute is only the first of his murders. Can a modern day FBI agent find the serial killer all the while keeping her time travel a secret?

So this is an interesting premise. I was hooked on the description. To sum it up in a sentence: I thought it
Bam
Big Library Read title--June 23-July 7, 2016.

*2.5 stars, generously rounded up. My grandmother, admittedly not a great cook in her later years, used to make a dish for me she called 'mishmash'--a mixture of ground hamburg and canned vegetables (think Veg-All). Believe it or not, at ten-years-old, I liked it; there's no accounting for taste.

I kept thinking of mishmash as I read this book--perhaps because it is a great mess of things that actually sort of work in the end (after simmering a bit.)

S
Lindsay
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An FBI special agent and profiler gets flung back to Regency England to find her expertise is needed when an horrifically murdered young girl is found in a nearby lake.

I found this book entertaining and a compulsive read despite some fairly significant flaws, most of which I would classify as bad-romance-novel writing issues.

Firstly, the positives. Most of the characters are well-drawn and react believably to Kendra's presence. The mystery plot is handled well with clues to be picked up by a car
Robyn
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 that I'm rounding up. If - and this may be a big IF for some people - you can accept the central conceit of a 21st century FBI agent being transported back to the 19th century and not immediately being locked up or sent to Bedlam for her shocking behaviour, then it's a quite entertaining serial killer loose in the Regency tale.

NB: there is some sexual violence and the victims are very young.
The Lit Bitch
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not going to lie, this book sounded a little weird to me…..FBI agent time travels back to Regency England to solve grizzly murder? It doesn’t quite sound like a novel that really makes sense but oddly enough it worked out really well.

I wasn’t expecting to like this as much as I did. There were aspects of the novel that I wasn’t a fan of, but on the whole I was actively engaged in the mystery and invested in the characters.

I think the biggest thing that I struggled with was the relationship betwe
Rose
Jun 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Could not get past the first few chapters - boring boring boring. Can't believe this is the selection for the entire library district to read - sex scene(s) did not contribute to advancing the plot. Must have missed something as this book had many positive reviews.
Tracy
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Ok, I really enjoyed this book. I think it's my mood and I needed a good murder mystery - something to keep me guessing which this definitely did.

There were some cheesy parts here and there, but nothing I couldn't get over or that in anyway ruined the story for me.. Overall I found myself wanting to read the story, wanting to know what happened and rooting for the good guys.

I liked the end and personally I hope Kendra decides to stay in the past. She has lots to look forward to if she does. If
Mel (Epic Reading)
This is more of a 2.5 stars book. And what I'm about to say is going to be very contradictory...
I enjoyed this book, but it also drove me crazy. The overall concept of a FBI agent time travelling to the past and solving crime is amusing, clever and unique. Also the time period of the 1800s is a personal favourite.

And yet there were so many things I had to look over in my enjoyment of this book:
1) It rambled on and on, often. It could be 200 pages shorter and you'd sacrifice no story or charact
K.
Trigger warnings: rape, murder, a metric fuckton of slurs against sex workers.

I don't quite know what to make of this book. On the one hand, it's a pretty damned fabulous concept - badass FBI agent somehow finds herself sucked through time and space to England in 1815. Just as she's starting to realise that she's ACTUALLY IN 1815 OMG, girls start being murdered and it's up to her to use her 21st century knowledge to track down the murderer.

However.

This book requires a LOT of suspension of disb
Veronique
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
3.5/4*

How to describe this novel? Flawed but compelling?

Let’s get to the beginning. The blurb intrigued me, especially the time travelling aspect, but upon starting the book, I found it a bit difficult to get into - it wasn't grabbing me. Nevertheless, I carried on and lo and behold, as soon as the narrative switched to 1815, it became much more interesting. Not only are we thrown into this early 19th century setting, with its different social hierarchy and rules, but there is a serial killer on
Leah
I didn't think too much of this one in the early chapters - too much setting up her 'present day' life/secret raid - but once things got rolling I was completely hooked and ended up enjoying this one far more than I initially expected! Great characters, an awesome setting, and an intriguing plot all make A Murder in Time an excellent debut.

full thoughts to come!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dtb-book
This was a little slow going in the beginning but once it picked up it was so easy to get caught up in the story and the murder mystery. I really liked the blend of both Kendra's modern world of being a profiler and her "new" world in the nineteenth century where profiler had yet to be a term or idea.
It was neat to see how the author took on the role of women in the nineteenth century with the role of women in our world today. Throw in an English setting and castements and this really was a fun
☕️Kimberly
We meet FBI agent Kendra Donovan in the hospital. She is in a coma as we learn about the undercover case that left her wounded and her teammates dead. Once recovered, Kendra is intent on revenge and goes rogue. She travels to England to seek out the killer. While in the Aldrich Castle, she finds herself in peril. In her efforts to escape she slips into a hidden stairwell and soon finds herself in the same castle but in the year 1815.

McElewin quickly pulls us into the tale, as Kendra Donovan come
Chenoa
Jul 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried. I really did. DNF at 60%. The premise was interesting, but the book was just bad. Maybe because Connie Willis sets a high bar for time travel mysteries, I just couldn't finish.

First, it moved SO SLOWLY. Trying to slog through this book felt like punishment.

The characters aren't well fleshed-out; the main character is the worst. Kendra has no substance - but at the same time, she grated on my nerves so. bad. ~Strong female lead~ my ass. Sorry, all she does is barely-react to what's goin
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

I don't often ready mysteries, so I wasn't really sure what to expect with this one. It was the time travel aspect that drew me in, and I'm happy to report that I quite liked that aspect!

The crime-solving piece is a little trickier - as I rarely read this genre I had zero expectations. So in that regard, I wasn't disappointed?

Overall, a very enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the next in the series!
Linda Devange
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got 5 pages in. And quit. It reads like a harlequin romance - swirling silk capes and blood dripping onto their cravats. Cannot believe this mess was recommended.
Kara-karina
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So fascinating! If you like time-travel, kick-ass heroines and Diana Gabaldon's novel, then this one is for you! Kendra Donovan is a tough as nails FBI profiler who is ready to climb walls when she is transferred to Regency England and none of her skills are applied to female roles of the era. Then the murders start, and she realises that she does have a purpose here after all: to find the killer. A lightning-fast, gripping read, one of the highlights of the year for me.
* * *
Очень захватывающе!
Jamie Canaves
The premise of this sounded awesome--a rogue FBI agent accidentally time travels to a castle in 1815 England-- but I felt like it needed to be well done to actually work.

And well done it was. While it took me a bit to get to know Kendra at the beginning once she found herself in 1815 I loved her. Her forgetting that she was in "polite society" and needed to behave accordingly and her flat out refusal to was amusing and entertaining. I really enjoyed the historical tidbits and liked that it didn'
Roxanne
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved loved this!!!! I need more Kendra and Alex!!! I feel like I should say so much more about this book. I devoured it, absolutely loved Kendra and her bumbling around in the past and trying to learn how to fit in as servant in the 1800's in England! They didn't explain how, I am hoping that comes out in future books, and I won't lie I seriously hope she is stuck in the past!!!

• The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)
  • The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl (Geek Girls, #1)
  • The Virgin's Daughter (Tudor Legacy #1)
  • Beautiful Wreck
  • The Tale of Castle Cottage (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #8)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery #3)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • Crosstalk
  • First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen
  • House of Shadows
  • The Secret Life of Anna Blanc (Anna Blanc Mysteries #1)
  • Death Comes to the School (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #5)
  • The Last Sunset
  • The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch #1)
  • Jack of Clubs (House of Cards #2)
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
Julie McElwain began her journalistic career at California Apparel News, a weekly Los Angeles based trade newspaper. She has freelanced for numerous publications from professional photographers magazines to those following the fashion industry. Currently, Julie is West Coast Editor for Soaps In Depth, a national soap opera magazine covering the No. 1 daytime drama, The Young and the Restless. Juli ...more

Kendra Donovan (4 books)
  • A Twist in Time (Kendra Donovan, #2)
  • Caught in Time (Kendra Donovan, #3)
  • Betrayal in Time (Kendra Donovan, #4)
“She shook off her sense of amazement, and tried to pretend she was watching a period play. There was a lot of flirting going on, plenty of fluttering of ivory fans and eyelashes. It was weird to think that in another two hundred years people would flirt by pole dancing, twerking, and sexting. The” 5 likes
“The accouterments of humanity may change, but its heartbeat remained the same.” 2 likes