Jump to ratings and reviews

Making Wishes: Quotes, Thoughts, & a Little Poetry for Every Day of the Year

Making Wishes is the successor to Smile Anyway―another collection of original quotes and poems written by American author and novelist, Richelle E. Goodrich. This book also includes a small number of mini stories. Enjoy a profound thought for every day of the year, including the popular following:

"Dress yourself in the silks of benevolence because kindness makes you beautiful."

“Temptations don't appear nearly as harmful as the roads they lead you down.”

“Don't seek to be happy; let everyone else chase after that rainbow. Seek to be kind, and you'll find the rainbow follows you.”

“If I must start somewhere, right here and now is the best place imaginable.”

“There are times you find yourself standing by the wayside, watching as someone struggles to dig a well with a spoon, and you wish with all your heart you had arms and a shovel.”

“Sorrow on another's face often looks like coldness, bitterness, resentment, unfriendliness, apathy, disdain, or disinterest when it is in truth purely sadness.”

This book was written to inspire and motivate individuals on a daily basis.

182 pages, Paperback

Richelle E. Goodrich

15 books251 followers
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RichelleEGoo...
Poetry: https://allpoetry.com/R._E._Goodrich

I was born in Odgen, Utah in the fall of 1968 and spent my first two years of childhood in Sandy, Utah, surrounded by aunts and uncles. My parents moved us to Washington State during a wintry snowstorm in 1970. The accumulation of snow stuck us in Spokane for a couple days before we moved on to Moses Lake, Washington. The plan was to work for two years and then make our way back to Utah, but my parents must have grown fond of sagebrush and tumbleweeds because they set down roots in that windy, desert town.

I grew up with three siblings—a brother and two sisters—and graduated with honors from Moses Lake High School, Big Bend Community College, and finally Eastern Washington University with a BA in general studies and a BAEd in natural science/ mathematics education.

I was blessed to have parents who enrolled me in ballet, tap dance, gymnastics, girl scouts, piano lessons, as well as a short bout with the viola and the guitar. For years my mother drove me faithfully to lessons and meetings after school. Any artistic talent I possess is also owed to my parents. My dad sketched cartoon characters when I was a child while my mom created beautiful oil paintings. Their examples inspired me to take art classes in both high school and college.

It wasn’t until I was older that I developed an interest in writing. That in itself is a long story. You can read about it on my author blog (https://regoodrichnews.blogspot.com/2...) Since that first attempt at writing a novel-length manuscript, I have self-published thirteen unique books. Quotes from my books have been reprinted in various places, including the Oxford Philosophy Being Human Course Book, in a Revlon ad magazine campaign, on the opening scene of an episode of Alone, and in eight Chicken Soup for the Soul books... eight that I presently know of.

Writing has become an adventure for me, and I find myself jotting down poetry and story ideas whenever and wherever opportunity presents itself. I have learned to wisely utilize short portions of time, knowing that small accomplishments add up considerably and quickly. I prefer to write in complete silence when possible; it seems my muses are more apt to visit me in calm, quiet atmospheres. If you want a glimpse into my head, I am an Alice in Wonderland girl—curious, creative, watchful, always thinking, always wondering.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
146 reviews3 followers
November 9, 2015
I enjoyed reading this book. It has a little bit of many topics, from humor, love, depression, patriotism,
never giving up, etc. It is casually separated into topics depending on the month; for example, February covers love, Valentine and more; May covers words about Mothers and a couple of other subjects; June covers fathers, etc. Included in this little book of thoughts are short stories, some hilariously funny, some fantasy and some more serious. There are helpful quotes which I would carry with me when needing encouragement. I think it is appropriate for individuals old enough to read or to be read to.
Profile Image for Janie  R..
757 reviews6 followers
January 11, 2019
An excellent book by Richelle E. Goodrich, to read as the new year begins, I highlighted my favorite wishes! Here are a few of my favorites- "Take time to laugh, to talk, to hug, and to cry. These are the human relief valves."
"Few realize how loud their expressions really are. Be kind with what you wordlessly say.
"Moms are life's number one cheerleaders without uniforms."
"I wish upon a glimmering star,
My hopes as distant and as far.
So if this wish does not come true,
I'm thankful for the few that do."

I highly recommend this book, I really enjoyed reading it and feel I gained some wisdom from it!

Profile Image for Jackie.
356 reviews1 follower
April 18, 2016
This is a great bunch of poems, 365, to be exact. You could read one poem per day, if you wanted to, or all in one day. The choice is up to you.

Richelle wrote these poems as a graduation gift to her son, but the content can be applied to anyone. Some are humorous. Some are inspirational. Some are a big kick in the pants, trying to boost motivation in the reader.
18 reviews19 followers
June 14, 2022
Richelle is a life quote genius. You can tell she put her best interests in her book.
Profile Image for Richelle Goodrich.
Author 15 books251 followers
August 5, 2015
This book mirrors Smile Anyway with it's new and inspirational daily quotes; however, this book includes a small number of emotional mini-stories that sweetly deliver life lessons. For those who enjoy poetry, each month begins with an original haiku. Other varieties of poems are scattered throughout the reading as well. Making Wishes is both thought-provoking and entertaining; it can be enjoyed one entry per day or, if preferred, taken all-in at one sitting.
Profile Image for Richelle Goodrich.
Author 15 books251 followers
July 29, 2015
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.