Start by marking “The Complications of T (The Actor's Circle #1)” as Want to Read:
The Complications of T (The Actor's Circle #1)

Read Book

The Complications of T

(The Actor's Circle #1)

Novelette (16 000 words)
Genre(s): Contemporary, Romance, Erotica, LGBT+/GSM

Stuart Leandro knows he’s washed up, both on the big screen, and in his marriage. Then, when things take an even bigger turn for the worse one night, he winds up blind drunk and lost in a foreign city.

Thankfully, someone’s there to rescue him before his face ends up plastered all over the tabloids.
ebook
Published August 20th 2015 by Bey Deckard (first published August 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Complications of T, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complications of T

SheReadsALot
UNICORN GANGBANG REVIEW - Where we all wanted to sample some of Bey's contemporary musings!

Cupcake, Lori, Justin and Ann's can be read here:

My two cents from the group reviewage.

4.25 HEARTS--Quite simply this is just a romance between two people who just so happen to meet at the right time under slightly intoxicated circumstances.
The rest...gender identity, relationship status, fan/hero worship...those are just semantics.

Sweet? Eh...I guess? *scrunches nose* Considering the typical stuff writte
Bey Deckard
Jul 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Feb 1, 2017: Audiobook narrated by Nick J. Russo now available! -> http://geni.us/TCoTAB

This book is a bit of a departure from my norm (though what is my norm... really?).

It's sweet—which is not to say what I've written before isn't sweet—but this story is sweet in a more traditional sense.

It's also very light on sex, just one scene. No BDSM. No power struggles. It features female anatomy (just a little heads up for those who are sensitive to that sort of thing).

And it's a contemporary bo
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
4.5 stars! Loved this, but I wanted MORE!

I think Bey Deckard killed this one. I usually stay away from this author's work because it is too dark for me, but The Complications of T wasn't dark at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's light.

I've read many, many books with trans MCs, and this one was my favorite. It was a beautiful story, even if it veered towards instalove, and it was informative and interesting without being preachy or feeling too didactic. It was the perfect balance, and I
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
There's not just one trans story. There's not just one trans experience.

-Laverne Cox

I've been on sort of a trans vision quest lately, trying to lessen some of my idiocy on the subject, so this story came along at just the right time. It's filled with powerful and fluid dialogue that's both educational and moving. It's also sweet without being fluffy and gave me squishy good feels.

Stuart is a bonafide movie star who's in the midst of a separation/divorce and tries to drown his sorrows in the
Sheziss
It was ok, I guess. I expected so much more, though.

It gives an interesting insight of what a transgender person's daily life can be. It's not a gay story, not even a gay-for-you. It's rather an only-for-you romance.

The MC, Stuart, is into girls, and always has been. One night he's in a bar in the process of intoxicating himself, and a woman saves him. A woman whose name is Tim. Stuart sees him as a woman, and feels an instant attraction. But he is not a woman. Stuart comes to terms with this a
Sunny
Loved it, but I wanted more! (view spoiler)
I thought I wanted to see everything else, too- the reactions from other people, Stuart and Tim facing any conflict that came up, but this was such a sweet peek into their lives, I'm also kind of glad there wasn't more to distract from the simplicity of it.

A follow up wouldn't be amiss, though :)
Ann
That was an absolutely lovely story. I actually had that description going through my head while reading it when Stuart said, “’That would be lovely. Really . . lovely.’ Go on Stu. Say lovely again.” Stu was so charming in his clueless ness. Now if someone told me after reading the Baal’s Heart trilogy that Bey would give us a book that would make me sigh and swoon from the sheer loveliness of it I would have snortled in their face. I’m a HUGE fan of that series and the fact that the author can ...more
Lori
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bmbr-reads, 2015
4.5...but only because I wanted more! Review previously at bmbr.

Oh how I wish this wasn't a short story because I wanted more. I sat down with my morning coffee and devoured this offering from Bey Deckard. The Complications of T is about as different from his Baal's Heart series as you can get - except I adored it every bit as much.

If I could have one wish about this story... actually, make that two wishes, firstly I'd want it to be longer and secondly I'd want the insta love angle dropped. In
Annery
I love Bey Deckard but for some obscure reason hadn't read this even though I'd read The Last Nights of The Frangipani Hotel ... weird. Short story: I loved it.

In a few brief pages the author manages to portray the different life experiences of two men without cheating the reader nor cheapening either of their stories. In the process we also experience two people falling in love while very much remaining themselves. Added to all of this goodness is the narration by Nick J. Russo. Perfection. ***
Justin
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-bmbr

This book was very hard for me to rate. It was way out of my comfort zone and not something I would normally read. On one hand I loved it and wanted to give it all the stars. I loved the writing, I loved the story and I loved Stuart and Tim, the main characters. I didn’t have a problem with the relationship between the MCs starting before Stuart was legally divorced and surprisingly, I didn’t have a problem with the female anatomy in the story. Tim, a transsexual, considered himself fu
Borderstar
Well I wasn't sure what to expect, but for such a short read that was pretty enjoyable. I never really know how to rate short stories, as I'm not a huge fan, as I prefer the depth of background, world-building, feelings etc that come with a lengthier wordcount...but this was probably a 3. something star read for me, rounded up to 4.

I guess my only complaint is that I wanted more! An epilogue or a sequel would be very welcome :)
Joseph Tonlet
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, this isn't a book that would usually find its way onto my 'Read' list. No, I generally go for dark, gritty, BDSM, banned, non or dub-con...well, you get the idea. This story is about as far from any of that as possible. It's sweet, and romantic, and filled with hope and positivity.

How did something so far removed from my typical interest land on my iPad? Quiet simply, the author. I've been a fan of m/m for years...before the term 'm/m' even existed, I think. (I may be showing my age
Don Bradshaw
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There aren't many books around with a transsexual main character and even fewer well written ones. This one was absolutely beautiful in the way the subject was handled. Tim was used to living in seclusion away from the tabloids and gawkers. Stuart was just as secluded even though he was surrounded by people. The two men fit together perfectly. I loved the way that Tim said not to over think things. An easy, smooth read that left me feeling warm inside.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, bgirls, ebook, trans, shorty

4.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

This was a really sweet story about discovery, acceptance and love. It features a trans man as one of the MCs, which I found to be the most interesting and best part of the story. The gorgeous cover and clever title tie in to this story perfectly.

Complicated Tim is such a sweet guy who is best known for his work as a film critic. This has allowed him to keep a rather low profile, private life. When he happens to be in the right place at the time when fairly w
Ashley
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always want more from short stories but I felt like this was the perfect length. Though I would gladly read more about Tim and Stuart!

I loved Tim and Stuart's passion and their honest and raw conversations once they got past the awkwardness of the situation that kind of threw them together. It also didn't feel insta-lovey. They were just two people who had this awesome connection and just couldn't imagine not exploring where it would go. The HEA was the icing on top. :)
Joyfully Jay
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Bey Deckard once again seduces readers with his writing and continues to amaze and deliver. With every book, regardless of the subject matter, he has a clear and authentic voice and provides just the perfect amount of description to achieve a full visual effect.

So much works here starting with the clever title and just one letter encapsulates so many areas of the story itself. Tim’s life has been complicated and while the story could have dwelled on that, it doesn
Riina Y.T.
This was lovely... really, really lovely. *happy sigh*

I'm a huge fan of Bey Deckard's Baal's Heart series, and F.I.S.T.S. #1&2 were brilliantly done as well. The Complications of T was something completely different and just as wonderfully written. For a change, this story was just absolutely sweet! Through and through.

My 'review' isn't doing this book any justice, hopefully others will try harder. *bows*

I simply want to say: it's a beautiful story, very satisfying, especially for its lengt
Trio
That was gorgeous, why was it sooo short! Since this author usually writes such lovely, long stories I am standing up and demanding another 400 pages asap... These characters are so interesting and I would love to read about their relationship, please Bey?

21 March 2017, I'm listening to the audio version with Nick J. Russo narrating and he is absolutely fantastic! His accent for Stuart is incredible.
namericanwordcat
I like the center of this romance between Tim and Stuart.

We get an intense time of them together while Stuart hides out a bit before dealing with his impending divorce and rethinking his acting career.

However, as nice as those moments are, we don't get them together in the more complicated world and we don't get enough resolution with any of the outside factors.

So, unfinished in too many ways and I don't want a sequel to address these areas, I wanted a fuller love story here.
Tully Vincent
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stuart Leandro is a movie actor who has been taking roles for money rather than art and has recently faced that his marriage is breaking up. One night on the road in a foreign country, he winds up drunk in the gutter. Lucky for him, there’s someone’s there to rescue him before his face ends up plastered all over the tabloids. But is his rescuer male or female? His drunken senses aren’t at all sure, especially after a semi-coherent kiss enters the mix.

When he wakes in a strange apartment the nex
Toni FGMAMTC
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trans-mc, short, romance

First, I just want to say this cover is gorgeous.

Stuart is lost. Life just isn't panning out quite liked he'd hoped. When he's at a really low point, someone that he totally isn't expecting helps him reevaluate what will make him happy.

Tim is transgender, and although it's easy to focus on him, for me the story is more about Stuart. As far as I know, Stuart has only been attracted to straight women so everything is a new experience for him. Some aspects of the relationship
K
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bey Deckard tells the story of Stuart, an actor who has lost his mojo, his marriage, and, at the time, appears he may be falling off the wagon, of sobriety. Forced to the take the hand of a stranger… to avoid the tabloids smearing his drunken face all over for the world to see, sets into motion an affirmation of life.

Waking up in a strange bed, surrounded by unfamiliar walls, is the beginning and the end for Stuart. Confronting his savior, across a cup of coffee, puts a tingle of apprehension in
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Happy Happy Release Day!!! Review Request: The Complications of T by Bey Deckard

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: 4 of 4 Stars
(Based on Short&Light Read Category)

Bey Deckard has this talent for giving us short reads that pack a punch. This particular one, diverges from his usual path of strong, macho men who live life with passion and BDSM leanings. This one is actually sweet, yes it is sweet, and involves a transgender for the main squeeze. Not so different from all
Eugenia
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, mm, trans
Sweet and Lovely! Perfect lunchtime read.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this short piece. Bey Deckard created chemistry between the two men, and got a lot of mileage out of 80 pages. Although not insta-love, since love isn't mentioned, one of the men decides to move across the ocean for the other. I'm not sure what that's called.

I thought the characters were not your standard run of the mill ones and were refreshing in their honesty.
Tracy
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant
Sweet love story
Such a short story but I actually liked the length
I love "love at first sight" stories
I had a smile on my face the entire time
Watching them fell for each other
For such a short story it sure captured my heart
Now I can imagine all sorts of wonderful happy things for them
P.S.
This cover is seriously hot
Harper Miller
I was completely in my feels for this story. Beautifully written, humorous, and the characters were gems. I can't think of any stories that showcase a romance with a main character being transgender. Mr. Deckard, thank you for rising to the challenge and reflecting a sect of society we don't hear much about in the romance genre. You did an amazing job. Kudos!
Mimi
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the first transgender novel that I have read and I was empressed by the writing and the feelings that it invoked was great.

Two people who are brought together because of loneliness and just knowing that the other is the one for them no matter what their gender is shows that their is someone for everyone.
Rachel
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fantastic story, I wish there was more, I want to know what happens next!
Asynia
This book wasn't what I thought it would be, clearly I didn't read the genre tags. It was interesting, something I'm not sure I would have read if I'd know more about it, but now when I've read it, I'm happy I did.
Lena♥Ribka

Nice but superficial. A good narrator.
  • Another Shot
  • Unscripted
  • Clockwork Tangerine
  • Damned If You Do
  • Bookmarked
  • High Contrast (Evolution Ink, #1)
  • Charlie in a Red Dress
  • The Winter Spirit
  • Hesitant Heart (The Hampton Road Club #1)
  • Take Two
  • Boo! (Beauty And The Bookworm, #2)
  • Carte Blanche
  • Rock Rod Studios Presents: Alex Undone
  • Full Exposure
  • Rainbow Sprinkles
  • Bloodline (Norwood #2)
  • Escape (Trasmundo #1)
  • Love Has No Expiration
Artist, Writer, Dog Lover

Bey Deckard is the author of a number of novels including the Baal’s Heart books, Max, Beauty and His Beast, and Better the Devil You Know.

Bey lives in Montréal, Canada where he spends most of his time in the company of a handsome mutt named Murphy. When Bey’s not writing, he’s doing graphic work, painting portraits, speaking French, cooking tasty vegetarian eats, or watc

The Actor's Circle (2 books)
  • The Last Nights of The Frangipani Hotel (The Actor's Circle #2)