Start by marking “Nightmares Unhinged” as Want to Read:
Nightmares Unhinged

Nightmares Unhinged

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Nightmares come in many forms. Some rend the veil of sleep with heart-stopping madness. Others defy sanity to leave a helpless corner of your mind twitching for release. Sometimes, hours after waking, a nightmare drifts across your memory, tainting your day with wisps of discomfort. NIGHTMARES UNHINGED reveals horror in all its mutable forms—abject to absurd—through twenty ...more
Published September 8th 2015 by Hex Publishers LLC

To ask other readers questions about Nightmares Unhinged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmares Unhinged

Emma Sea
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There's an aniseed flavor of misogyny running through most of these stories. Reading them as a collection only strengthens it.

Got to the 15th story, and a definite sense of "sheesh, not another interchangeable & entitled male protagonist" speared me through the guts. If you told me that these guys were online buddies from an MRA website comments sections, who decided to publish an anthology, you would elicit zero surprise from me. But I'd tell Stephen Graham Jones and Steve Rasnic Tem to s
Mark Stevens
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Nightmares Unhinged," an anthology from Denver-area Hex Publishers, offers 20 well-written tales with an overall dark vibe. Gore? Some. Cool story concepts with some fresh wrinkles? Why, yes, thank you. There are several that seemed, to me, highly original. And 13 of the 15 writers live in Colorado—a fine showcase for Colorado talent. (I'm no horror expert as my previous reviews will testify, but these are my thoughts below about each story.)

Steve Rasnic Tem’s understated and perfectly creepy “
Stan James
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Warning: There be spoilers ahead, so if you want to be surprised(ish) while reading, you may want to skip this review.

Nightmares Unhinged is not a bad collection of horror stories but it's not an outstanding one, either. It contains few surprises and while some of the stories are fun, a good portion of them are filled with nasty, unlikable protagonists who usually get their comeuppance. If that's your thing you may enjoy these stories more than I did.

Here's a one or two-sentence review of all tw
Trina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon, kindle, horror, own
Pretty good read!
Michael Elliott
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great diverse collection

I'm a big fan of horror anthologies and this one proved to be very enjoyable. Depending on your tastes in horror not all of these stories will appeal. I felt some of the authors left their stories so ambiguous they almost seemed unfinished. Having said that though, there are some great chills to be found within these pages. The story of a junkie prostitute whose needles begin to be absorbed into her body was one of my favs. At under two dollars for twenty stories and wi
Tina
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good-enough collection of short stories from Colorado writers, I dropped in on this book from time to time when I had a few minutes to spare. None of the stories stuck with me for very long. I'd like to think that most of them are flawed first efforts. I hope the authors continue to work on their craft, as I see potential in many of them. Two stars.
BRANDY BRIGGS
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely Unhinged

Most of the stories kept you interested, at the clymactic areas where typical horror fans usually call it, many of the stories surprisingly & refreshingly go completely off kilter in a way you can appreciate.
Mary kerrigan-gee
Wasn't for me.

I alway plough on with a book.. No matter what, but I have to say I just could not even get halfway through, I found the stories to be vague and scatty, not scary at all. That's not to say someone else might not love this book, it just didn't do it for me - sorry.
Jim LeMay
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terrific short stories by masters in the field of horror fiction.
Bret Smith
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, suspenseful, scary collection of horror short stories! Not for the faint of heart!
Emily Hash
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let me make one thing very clear: I’m not a horror kind of person. I’m the girl who jumps at the slightest noise and cried the first time Giles accidentally snuck up on me in our new house. For some crazy reason, Giles and I started binge watching Supernatural on Netflix about a month ago, and for some crazier reason, I really got sucked into it. Then, Giles brought home a copy of Nightmares Unhinged, a horror anthology. It sat on our table for a few days, staring at me. (Literally. It has a cre ...more
Bill
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I won a paperback copy of “Nightmares Unhinged”, edited by Joshua Vioka, on Goodreads.com and am posting an honest review. I gave it a rating of 3 stars.

Overall, a mixed bag of horror short stories from Colorado writers. Most are forgettable, not worthy of a top-notch horror anthology. I read a number of horror anthologies years ago. This is my first venture back into the genre recently. If this is a good example of what’s out there currently, the quality of work has definitely declined.

My favo
Miss
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: goodreads
Received from Goodreads giveaway for a honest review. This book wasn't as good as I was hoping for it to be. The stories were drawn out with almost no suspense to build up to that ultimate frightening ending I was looking for. The endings mostly just popped out of nowhere for the most part. The stories weren't scary and didn't give me that thrill I was looking for. I guess I can say that these stories lacked in the fear factor department, unfortunately. Now I don't want anyone to not give this b ...more
Scarlett R Algee
Unhinged? Unbeatable.

Easily the best collection I've read all year. These stories may be classed as horror, but it's a subtle horror: wafting into your nostrils, worming beneath your skin, leaving you with afterimages that cling with demented determination. Twisted family ties, latent gifts blossoming late, imprudent wishes--all wonderfully crafted and disturbingly possible.
Angela
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
The COVER is fabulous! The cover is chilling and thrilling.... I just really wish the stories
had also been. I kept waiting and hoping for the tales to be scary...they were not.
The cover and the title obviously have NOTHING to do with the writings.
Oh well, if I want a good scare, I can go look at my credit card bills.
Elena
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book sounds great! I hope to win, read it and enjoy the story ... If I win, the review will be updated once I finish the book :)
Andrew Padbury
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Most of this collection was horrible; in my opinion. I was excited to see a collection of Colorado authors, but was quickly reminded that being local doesn't equal being talented.
Kathy Elbinger
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Some of the stories were clever and written in the style of Rod Serling, but many fell short of being as scary as the cover.
Sandra Valantin
Jun 08, 2018
Beverly Calder
Jul 31, 2017
Toby Crawford
rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2017
  • The Never Prayer
  • A Summer Life
  • The Taming of the Werewolf
  • Mirror, Mirror
Joshua Viola is an author, artist, and former video game developer (Pirates of the Caribbean, Smurfs, TARGET: Terror). In addition to creating a transmedia franchise around The Bane of Yoto, honored with more than a dozen awards, he is the author of Blackstar, a tie-in novel based on the discography of Celldweller. His debut horror anthology, Nightmares Unhinged, was a Denver Post number one bests ...more