Start by marking “Company (Beacon 23, #4)” as Want to Read:
Company (Beacon 23, #4)

Company

(Beacon 23 #4)

Out here on the edge of sector eight, I can be alone with my thoughts.

Sometimes, this isn't a good thing.
Published July 26th 2015 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Company

Joel
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Hugh Howey's writing *so* much. It's so gods-damned good. Beacon 23 was a masterpiece to me; a serial that captured me from the first page and never let go. A piece that examined PTSD, loneliness, service, commitment, morality and so many other things, in such a short period of time and space. An economy of words, but not an economy of quality, ideas or moral values.

It's fucking magnificent and if you don't agree I do not like you anymore. There, I said it.

I don't mean that :( But for rea
FanFiAddict
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say that I haven't said in my three previous reviews. Howey just seems to have so much fun writing this story and I thoroughly enjoy reading them in these short, 40ish page segments. Our lonely beacon operator finally has a companion that isn't a rock and a potential love interest has come across his radar. Will things finally start heading in the right direction for our "hero?" or will they, like always, get flushed out into space where no one can hear you squeal? Who knows, but I'm ...more
E.J. Fisch
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was excited by the premise of this series but never expected it to end up being so powerful. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Beautiful! So nice!

(But I feel the Shit Storm coming...)

description
Dan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Check out my Booklikes Blog, Dang Rover: Cover to Cover

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Hugh Howey knows how to tell all story, that's for sure.

So, I don't do serials well. I read the first installment, thought it was great, then waited until they were all published. I read them all as one book, so I'm going to review them all as one book.

The blurbs on the 5 installments say this book is about a guy manning a Beacon in a remote sector of space. Think a space light house, warning ships trave
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a short fourth chapter of a longer story, rather than a complete story, and while this was much better than the first three installments unlike previous Howey works I have enjoyed, it’s not just up to the previous standard Howey established: it’s kind of boring. I picked this up for free with Kindle Unlimited – seeing as how the final installment is free via Kindle Unlimited I’ll give it a try and see if it gets better with the grand finale.
Dylan Hearn
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite episode so far. We finally get to see what's behind the had exterior and understand the mess war makes of people, not just physically but psychologically too. A really well-written and touching episode. I can't wait to find out what happened now that our protagonist had slowed himself to feel again.
Francesco
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vote: 4,00
Class: L-A3 (FP)

(fourth out of five of the Beacon 23 Series)

The story goes on in this very character driven sc-fi novel where our protagonist is spending his life (mostly) alone in a remote corner of the universe.
After the hectic events of the last chapter we see more change in our hero...
As always the writing is really good!
let see how it all ends.
Think
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Hugh Howey is getting close to becoming a favorite of mine. I just recently started reading his writing and I am completely hooked. Everything is just so clever and odd. Look forward toward reading more of his work.
Christiana Kelly
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting series that makes you think. Not everything is what it seems.
Prakash
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
2.5/5

Why do authors feel the need to force a love angle down your throat in every story?

Cricket this and cricket that.

And quite similar to the third.
Chris
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll provide the same review for each of Beacon 23's five parts.

Hugh Howey established himself with Wool. I count Wool as one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi. It was compelling, utterly original and, dare I say, groundbreaking (figuratively and literally). I've followed Howey since but never found his output to be nearly as compelling as Wool. Until now. The Beacon 23 stories - that together form a wonderful novel - are so wonderful, so heartfelt, so funny, and human that it's virtually impossib
Uma
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Finally feels like I got conned into reading a book by calling it Sci Fi when its regular fiction. Nt funny. Nt meaningful.
And the story no longer makes sense to me either. It's well written but it's nothing coherent to me ne more.
Kylie
Oct 23, 2016 added it
No longer completely alone due to Cricket, our narrator is still solitary when fighting his demons in the dreams - nightmares - he has each night. When you are alone with yourself, you have a lot of time to revisit your past, and when your brain is messed up with PTSD, that isn't a good place to be.

However, the ramifications of the slip up back in the first story in this series mean that a back up beacon is being installed close enough to see - and when an SOS signal is sent, he has to investiga
Carl Nelson
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Howey dials the emotional impact all the way up for Company, the fourth part of the Beacon 23 series. Our cranky, snarky beacon operator discovers that his problems were not left behind when he came to his distant outpost. Howey nails the proper tone for his narration--sardonic, damaged, full of gallows humor, but never self-pitying. This series explores so many moral themes without ever being preachy; the author lets the reader draw his or her own conclusions.
Michael Flanagan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I might be overdosing a bit on Hugh Howey, but this fourth instalment of Beacon 23 just didn't have the sting in the tale as the others did. This book continues telling the tale of our hero who is trying to escape his past. It does not seem to matter he has taken a lonely job in the middle of space because company keeps finding him. Not a bad read at all just not up to the standards of the others in this reader’s humble opinion
Bill Williams
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Our war hero is suffering extended flashbacks in this penultimate chunk of Beacon 23. The madness evident in him since the opening of the story is in full bloom as his memories of life during war time comeback. This strong anti-war statement is broken when he sees another Beacon in the distance. And it starts broadcasting an SOS.

Tight prose, engaging characters and a compelling story. I'll be more than a little morose when I reach the end.
David Dawson
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just gets better.

This is without a doubt the best serial I have ever read. Every once in a while I read a book where the main character just clicks with me. This series managed to do it in part one, and gets better with each installment. The only complaint I have is that I know the story will end.
Matt
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful storytelling

A masterful chapter in the story, adds a great deal of depth without bogging down the story in back story or character building. Howey shows his true storyteller ability here, making you feel like you were a soldier in the trenches. He makes you feel the gravity of his mistakes and the lies he told himself and others to say sane.

Great story!
Chad Schuitema
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pouring through it

Now I can't wait for the next one! Hugh Howey is so right on with writing emotions. Unbelievable. The Shell Collector was his first real foray into real emotion and not just anger or confusion or suspense. I felt this book. Felt it.
Cmoore
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this story is amazing... Can this shattered man reach out and connect with another?? Each part is so different... It is amazing how much can happen at this lonely outpost. I can hardly wait for the next episode, and the good thing here is Hugh Howey writes fast!!!
Graeme Ing
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
I just never know where this series is going to turn next and part 4 brought along a fascinating companion. Very thoughtful examination of how we open up to strangers and how company opens up the humanity in us. I really wanted these two people to get together and stay together.
Kris
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a wonderful little series

Despite the series' overall compactness, the four short installments offer variety, interesting characters, and contribute to an engaging story arch.
David
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Pet rocks was the zenith, and it's been a slow and predictable descent to the nadir since then.

I think Hugh Howey is a great author, but this is not his best by a long shot. It almost reads like teen fiction.
Jim
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
My least favorite entry in this series. It didn't really grab me as much as the previous 3 and felt like a retread of past themes. Only one more to go but I'm starting to wonder if the total series has a clear resolution or story arc.
Attila Benő
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Part four is possibly the best part of this series in my opinion. "Company" can refer to more than one thing, so at first, you're not even sure what this subtitle refers to. I think this is the high-point of the series.
Maryann Witters
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the novelettes

The thing I don't like is how short they are. So I am hoping there will be more than the 5th one. You get familiar with characters and you always want more. Heres hoping #5 is not the last.
Philip McClimon
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Boy meets girl...in space

Another good episode. A chance encounter that hopefully sticks. One can really feel the isolation in the story, and the poignancy too. At times funny, other times moving. Good Stuff.
John Lundquist
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yet another genre tackled in this series. I'm not going to spoil this one though. We learn a bit more of our main character yet again. I am still really enjoying this series and am looking forward to finishing it.
Jeffrey Dill
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better as it dives further into the protagonists humanity.

• Hello World
  • To Stand or Fall (The End of All Things, #4)
  • Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, #1)
  • The Seeds of New Earth (The Silent Earth, #2)
  • First Contact (Wayward Pines; The Genesis Series #1)
  • The Frontier Lord
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • Unexpected Rain
  • This Long Vigil
  • Critical Path (Critical, #2)
  • The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)
  • Gabriel's Return
  • After Doomsday
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified

Beacon 23 (5 books)
  • Little Noises (Beacon 23, #1)
  • Pet Rocks (Beacon 23, #2)
  • Bounty (Beacon 23, #3)
  • Visitor (Beacon 23, #5)
“I also remember catching the eye of the few conscientious objectors in the terminal, the people opposed to the war but afraid to speak up. There was no hate in their eyes, only pity. Sadness. Knowledge that I might be necessary, but that we shouldn’t be proud that I was necessary. That’s how I saw myself and my company by the end of my second tour. I didn’t hate what we did so much as hate the need for it all. No one should applaud this. We should bow our heads not in thanks but in sadness.” 2 likes
“I remember the rule for semicolons; the sentences on both sides have to be full ones. Full people. Whole.” 1 likes