Start by marking “FU Cancer” as Want to Read:
FU Cancer

FU Cancer

Lucy has always been a good girl. The most hardcore thing she's done in her life was falling for a divorced man ten years her senior.
But he was the love of her life and she married him. When her Peter Pan of a husband decided to divorce her, she thought it was her chance to start anew. That was until she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Besides looking like Britney circa
300 pages
Published December 29th 2015

To ask other readers questions about FU Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FU Cancer

Alex ♈
Braver. Stronger. I felt I was in charge of my destiny. It gave me confidence. It made me believe I was going to win.

I was going to tell cancer to fuck off.

People were going to look at me and whisper behind my back no matter what.

This way I was the one giving them a reason to talk about me.

I was the one not giving a fuck.

Look at me, I’m fighting cancer and I don’t give a shit. Deal with it.

Honestly I don’t know how to write this review…

First, I want to thank my friend Carol for recommending th
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
What an absolutely brilliant book. This one will be in my Top Ten Reads of 2016 for certain. Blew me away. I also loved the cover of this book, it's perfect, just perfect!

Okay, where to start? Firstly I do not normally choose romance books to read, those that know me well know my fiction choices tend to be a lot darker but this grabbed my attention and as I promised myself I would expand into some new genres this year with an open mind I went for it. I am so glad that I did.

This is quite frankly
Hilaria Alexander
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dear Goodreads Members,
the word in the title might scare you, but if you've read Prude or This Love you know I'm not in the business of torturing readers.
I wanted to write this book after I had my very first mammogram and found the lack of stories about breast cancer disturbing.
I wanted to write about a character who tried her best to overcome what life had thrown at her, with a bit of courage and a bit of humor.
I definitely couldn’t have written Lucy without the invaluable resource of several
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and the Crazy)
3.5 stars.

So I was going to rate it 5 stars but I can't do it. So I'm rounding up 4 stars because of the heroine.

I was loving the book, I loved how the heroine was strong, how she never gave up.
At some point I was swooning after the hero, the way he took care of her, how he didn't cared how she looked. How he loved her, the things he said to her had me swooning.
But then it all came crashing down.
If you know me here, you know I stay away from this trope. (view spoiler)
Livia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Hilaria Alexander
‘I wish I could’ve said, “This is just a bad dream. We’ll wake up and everything will go back to normal.’ ~Lucy

Minor spoilers alert!!!

The title says it all. Why doctors haven’t found a cure for all forms of cancer is a mystery and a reoccurring sadness for many people and their loved ones who witness their struggle with the disease. It’s unfortunate that most romance readers may be too intimidated or turned off by the topic to even give it a chance, but I was entirely charmed and won over by thi
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
I absolutely loved this beautiful story of strength and resilience. It is a sweet romance that take a look at a difficult subject with humor and emotion. It will definitely be on a list of my favorite books!

"You were beautiful before, but now you’re just… more. You’re everything. You’re my everything.”

I hesitated to start reading a book with Cancer in the title, but even though this story highlights Lucy's diagnosis and battle with breast cancer, it is funny, heartwarming, and romantic.

*Audiobo
Marieke (Marieke's Books & Books and Tequila)
FU Cancer is the first book I’ve read by Hilaria Alexander. Beforehand I wondered myself how romance and this horrible illness would go together without a cryfest. Surprisingly, FU Cancer isn’t a sad and painful story. Lucy – the main character – doesn’t break after her diagnosis, but takes on the fight full of life, funny t-shirts and other, colorful items. I adore this story.
“I wanted to keep living. I wasn’t just going to dwell on the sick card fate had just thrown at me. I knew it wasn’t go
ItaPixie
Shelves: 5-stars

I loved this book so much I put it on my TOP 10 favorite of 2015.Hilaria Alexander with her clear and crisp writing has brighten up my year.
This story talks about a cancer patients but look at it like a journey towards happiness more than a sad story.Lucy is a fighter!Her life wasn't going as planned,first the failure of her marriage then the appearance of breast cancer,but she chooses to confront her disease head on with the help of a special doctor.I also enjoyed the secondary characters espe

Carol
Great read, I loved this story. It felt so real, to read Lucy's journey through her diagnosis of breast cancer and all the emotions and strength it took her to move forward in her life. It is full of joyous moments as well as sad. Her romance with Brandon and his history, that finally reveals itself all helped to understand the connection they were able to make. INSPIRATIONAL and EMPOWERING
Zeia Jameson
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When you are a thirty-five year old single mother of two young boys, you simply cannot pause your life for cancer. No matter how many rounds of radiation or chemotherapy you have to attend; no matter the double mastectomy and post surgery fatigue you must endure; no matter the fact that your chances of survival are so low that you fear you may not see your fortieth birthday.
This is how Lucy Porter found herself.
Diagnosed.
Breast Cancer.
And with the particular type of rare and dangerous breast
Aaly
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I'd read this book sooner, I would put this one on my favorite list of 2015!
Hilaria, thank you so much for this beautiful story, I loved everything! How to talk about cancer without the ugly crying you can expect!
Just a wonderful story about life and how in your hardest times, there's still hope and love.

Review to come but Hilaria :

description

********************

This book is one of the first ones I read this year and if I read it last year, it would be on my favorite reads for 2015!

Why I haven’t read th
Amy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
F U Cancer
Hilaria Alexander
5 stars

Cancer Warriors you need to read this story. For those of us that have not had to battle this horrific demon; you also need to read this story. Lucy has always played by the rules. She had her two boys with the man she loved. He was her only sort of taboo event she had ever partaken in during her life. Patrick was divorced and ten years older than her. He was the love of her life … and then he divorced her too. Living her life just as she should hasn’t paid off
dreamerinexile
Quirky and emotional 5 stars

FU Cancer was my last 1-click of 2015 and 1st 5 star read of 2016, it is a beautifully written story about a single mom who at the prime of her life finds out that she has cancer. Thus starts the journey of intense emotions, doubts about the future and a scary hope of something beautiful and everlasting.

From the first chapter until the last, the book kept me glued to my kindle. Hilaria Alexander took me on a ride of intense emotions, from laugh out loud to cringe wor
Tina Lynne
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
FU Cancer is a book that looks at the harsh realities of being diagnosed with cancer. A time when the world comes crashing down on you and you flounder in life trying to find hope and a strong foundation. This story looks at the ugly side that is not always seen. More and more today in our society people speak out about the harsh realities that these amazing people face and this book shares some of those realities. Hilaria Alexander does a great job of taking a story and giving it heartfelt mean ...more
Livia
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance junkies & audiobook junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Hilaria Alexander
This is my second read, but my first read via audiobook format. So far, I'm loving narrator Elizabeth Klett's performance.

UPDATED

★.•**•★Unabridged Audiobook Info★•**•.★

Narrated by: Elizabeth Klett
Length: 10 hrs and 44 mins
Release Date: 11-24-16
Publisher: Hilaria Alexander
Writing style: Mainly Lucy's POV with a few occasional chapters in Brandon's POV
Cover design: I love the brightness of it. It’s optimistic and hints nicely at the overall feel of the novel.
Ratings:
Overall rating: ★★★★★ | Eliz
Zee Monodee
May 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
It seems to me the author said something along the lines of 'this book wasn't written from experience'. Like, she read a lot of cancer survivor blogs and the like, and attempted to 'do them justice.'
Well, to me, she didn't! See, I'm a 2x breast cancer survivor, went through all the sh*t the heroine goes through ... and this book is Hollywood-type glamour at best and outer-space-far-from-reality at worst.
I get the title - FU Cancer had been my motto every single day for the past 12.5 years. I've
FMR Book Grind
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
LEEANN'S REVIEW
4 STARS

Lucy has just received life altering devestating news.. She has cancer.
Never in her wildest dreams did she think it would lead her to the love of her life. Nor does she realize the struggles they will face in their attempt to get their happy ever after.

Brandon is a doctor and he has plans that don't include a relationship.
He has no clue when he sees Lucy at the hospital what path life is about to take him down.
Not only does he fall in love with Lucy,cancer and all, but al
Maïwenn  B
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS!!!

FU CANCER by Hilaria Alexander is one of the most powerful book I've read with such great characters.

Three words could describe it: Strength, hope, love.

As much as the word Cancer can scare you, don't be afraid to read this book. It is beautiful, hopeful, funny, swoony..

This book will give you all the feels. I must say that I'm in awe of how perfectly written and described a single mom's battle against Cancer was.

I would recommend it to every one willing to read a heart wrenching and
Libby Harrison
I was liking the heroine in the beginning but then she was getting on my nerves with the relationship drama. All I kept thinking was 'you have cancer...LIVE YOUR LIFE AND STOP WORRYING - SPEND TIME WITH YOUR KIDS!!!!'

Roanne Germaine
5 EMPOWERING STARS!

Lucy is a single working mom. As if her recent divorce was not enough, she recieved devastating news from her doctor that she has breast cancer. When super hot and charming doctor Brandon started showing interest in her, sick and all, she wondered what his real intentions were. Then he left. But inspite of it all, she vowed to fight. Fight the cancer, and fight for their love.

I have been among the first to receive an ARC of FU CANCER , and I feel so thankful. I really loved
Dusty Summerford (Reviews by Reds)
Stunning Read!! This is one of those books that just steals your heart. It is flawlessly written. I was scared to read it at first because of the title! I'm so glad I caved! The story is so upbeat and has so much humor and heart. It truly is beautiful!!

I fell in love with Lucy's spunk immediately!! I love that she speaks her mind!! She had me giggling throughout the story!! She is a divorced mother of two boys starting the biggest battle of her life. Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

Brandon Fuchs is a
Wendy
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a great book. With cancer being in the title, you just know that it would play a prominent role in the story. But this wasn’t a sad depressing tale but an uplifting and heartwarming one. I was rooting for Lucy, in not only beating cancer but also in her life. I really liked Lucy. She was determined not to let her cancer diagnosis get to her. She had a strength and a resolve that I admired from her. I loved her spirit throughout the book. Now what Lucy wasn’t expecting was to find l ...more
Denise
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading this author and I am so glad I decided to read this book. While the title of the book caught my attention, I was a little nervous to start it. This is one woman's journey with dealing with Inflammatory Breast Cancer. While I really enjoyed her spunky attitude, throughout the book, she also showed the downside/sadder side that many women feel while fighting this horrible disease. Being lucky enough to not have any of my close family and friends having dealt with this ...more
Court
Shel: I remember promoting this novel when it was released and being so curious about it; at the time we were slammed with reviews and couldn't fit it into our reading schedule. I recently found it on Net Galley and excitedly requested it and then made it my next read. I picked it up one Thursday afternoon and by the following Friday evening I was finished with it. The voice of the main character, Lucy, hit all the right spots for me--her irreverence, her good humor, and her unflinching look at ...more
Alison
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was instantly attracted to this book ... anything that says FU Cancer is high on my priorities. I'm currently fighting my own battle, while I don't have breast cancer the overall 'fight' is the same.

Lucy has two young boys, divorced but getting on with life the only thing really bothering her was the '10 year younger model' that her ex-husband had left her for .. nobody likes to be replaced. She has friends and a social life, works in a candy store and then she gets the diagnosis IBC .. her li
Maria
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Newly divorced, Lucy didn't expect things to get more difficult for her than raising her two children on her own but then the doctor says that scariest words out there for a lot of women, breast cancer.

At a time in her life when things should be at the scariest she takes the disease by the horns and is determined to beat it and in the process is it possible that she could find a better happiness than she ever had before?

Lucy is my kind of woman sure she has her uncertainties and her moments of
Sgt93_Wife
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Small Adventures, Full Hearts
This is my first book to finish in 2016, and man was it spectacular. I loved everything about this book. If I could give this more than 5 Stars I would. It as every element I want in a book. This book has a pretty powerful story, one of fight. Layered with this beautiful unexpected love story that was so amazing, I am still thinking about it.

Lucy, is one amazing complex character, she was written in my option flawlessly. You felt her beauty and her strength dripping through the pages of this boo
Sara Miller
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was a unflinching look at what it means to not only experience battling Breast Cancer on an individual basis but how it ripples out and affects those around you as well and integrated with that storyline is also a love story. it was a beautiful journey of healing, battling and hope. I really enjoyed learning about Lucy and Dr. F (Brandon) this was my first read by Hilaria but she just fueled my bookworm heart to read everything she writes.
Chantelle Smith
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: itsy-bitsy-books
Lucy was never one to make a scene, she was always the good girl that followed the rules, the most hardcore thing she ever done in her life was fall for a man that was ten years older than her and recently divorced, but she married him and was the love of her life, that was until he decided to divorce her. Now was her chance to start new, a new take on life, time for herself and a time to experience more that she missed out on, that is until she is diagnosed with breast cancer.

But surprisingly e
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Stim
  • 22 Things a Woman with Asperger's Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know
  • The Abattoir of Dreams
  • Accidental Alpha (A is for Alpha Male #3)
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • Alchemy: a story of perfect murder
  • Thirteen (Love by Numbers, #4)
  • Three Twisted Stories: Go Deep, Necessary Women, Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line
  • GodBomb!
  • Make Me Whole
  • The Covert Passive Aggressive Narcissist: Recognizing the Traits and Finding Healing After Hidden Emotional and Psychological Abuse
  • Magnolia Blossoms
  • I am Ella. Buy Me
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • Daily Meditations for Women Who Love Too Much
  • Still Photo
  • The Army Doctor's Christmas Baby (Army Doctor's Baby, #3)
  • Scorched (Sapphire City, #1)
Hilaria Alexander never thought she'd be a writer one day. Reader? Yes. Book hoarder? You betcha. Then, she started reading romance - that's when she felt the need to write a story. Unfortunately, she didn't listen to her gut, and talked herself out of it A MILLION TIMES. She finally gave up a few years ago, when the urge to write was stronger than self-doubt. She loves funny, sexy romances wrappe ...more