Start by marking “FU Cancer” as Want to Read:
FU Cancer

FU Cancer

Lucy has always been a good girl. The most hardcore thing she's done in her life was falling for a divorced man ten years her senior.
But he was the love of her life and she married him. When her Peter Pan of a husband decided to divorce her, she thought it was her chance to start anew. That was until she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Besides looking like Britney circa
300 pages
Published December 29th 2015

To ask other readers questions about FU Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FU Cancer

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
What an absolutely brilliant book. This one will be in my Top Ten Reads of 2016 for certain. Blew me away. I also loved the cover of this book, it's perfect, just perfect!

Okay, where to start? Firstly I do not normally choose romance books to read, those that know me well know my fiction choices tend to be a lot darker but this grabbed my attention and as I promised myself I would expand into some new genres this year with an open mind I went for it. I am so glad that I did.

This is quite frankly
Hilaria Alexander
Nov 30, 2015 Hilaria Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dear Goodreads Members,
the word in the title might scare you, but if you've read Prude or This Love you know I'm not in the business of torturing readers.
I wanted to write this book after I had my very first mammogram and found the lack of stories about breast cancer disturbing.
I wanted to write about a character who tried her best to overcome what life had thrown at her, with a bit of courage and a bit of humor.
I definitely couldn’t have written Lucy without the invaluable resource of several
Livia
Dec 18, 2016 Livia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Hilaria Alexander
‘I wish I could’ve said, “This is just a bad dream. We’ll wake up and everything will go back to normal.’ ~Lucy

Minor spoilers alert!!!

The title says it all. Why doctors haven’t found a cure for all forms of cancer is a mystery and a reoccurring sadness for many people and their loved ones who witness their struggle with the disease. It’s unfortunate that most romance readers may be too intimidated or turned off by the topic to even give it a chance, but I was entirely charmed and won over by thi
ItaPixie
Nov 30, 2015 ItaPixie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars

I loved this book so much I put it on my TOP 10 favorite of 2015.Hilaria Alexander with her clear and crisp writing has brighten up my year.
This story talks about a cancer patients but look at it like a journey towards happiness more than a sad story.Lucy is a fighter!Her life wasn't going as planned,first the failure of her marriage then the appearance of breast cancer,but she chooses to confront her disease head on with the help of a special doctor.I also enjoyed the secondary characters espe

Marieke (Marieke's Books & Books and Tequila)
FU Cancer is the first book I’ve read by Hilaria Alexander. Beforehand I wondered myself how romance and this horrible illness would go together without a cryfest. Surprisingly, FU Cancer isn’t a sad and painful story. Lucy – the main character – doesn’t break after her diagnosis, but takes on the fight full of life, funny t-shirts and other, colorful items. I adore this story.
“I wanted to keep living. I wasn’t just going to dwell on the sick card fate had just thrown at me. I knew it wasn’t go
Zeia Jameson
Dec 26, 2015 Zeia Jameson rated it it was amazing
When you are a thirty-five year old single mother of two young boys, you simply cannot pause your life for cancer. No matter how many rounds of radiation or chemotherapy you have to attend; no matter the double mastectomy and post surgery fatigue you must endure; no matter the fact that your chances of survival are so low that you fear you may not see your fortieth birthday.
This is how Lucy Porter found herself.
Diagnosed.
Breast Cancer.
And with the particular type of rare and dangerous breast
Aaly
Jan 02, 2016 Aaly rated it it was amazing
If I'd read this book sooner, I would put this one on my favorite list of 2015!
Hilaria, thank you so much for this beautiful story, I loved everything! How to talk about cancer without the ugly crying you can expect!
Just a wonderful story about life and how in your hardest times, there's still hope and love.

Review to come but Hilaria :

description

********************

This book is one of the first ones I read this year and if I read it last year, it would be on my favorite reads for 2015!

Why I haven’t read th
Amy
Dec 24, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
F U Cancer
Hilaria Alexander
5 stars

Cancer Warriors you need to read this story. For those of us that have not had to battle this horrific demon; you also need to read this story. Lucy has always played by the rules. She had her two boys with the man she loved. He was her only sort of taboo event she had ever partaken in during her life. Patrick was divorced and ten years older than her. He was the love of her life … and then he divorced her too. Living her life just as she should hasn’t paid off
Diane
Jan 31, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this beautiful story of strength and resilience. It is a sweet romance that take a look at a difficult subject with humor and emotion. It will definitely be on a list of my favorite books!

"You were beautiful before, but now you’re just… more. You’re everything. You’re my everything.”

I hesitated to start reading a book with Cancer in the title, but even though this story highlights Lucy's diagnosis and battle with breast cancer, it is funny, heartwarming, and romantic.
GeekInPink
Quirky and emotional 5 stars

FU Cancer was my last 1-click of 2015 and 1st 5 star read of 2016, it is a beautifully written story about a single mom who at the prime of her life finds out that she has cancer. Thus starts the journey of intense emotions, doubts about the future and a scary hope of something beautiful and everlasting.

From the first chapter until the last, the book kept me glued to my kindle. Hilaria Alexander took me on a ride of intense emotions, from laugh out loud to cringe wor
Tina Lynne
Nov 30, 2015 Tina Lynne rated it it was amazing
FU Cancer is a book that looks at the harsh realities of being diagnosed with cancer. A time when the world comes crashing down on you and you flounder in life trying to find hope and a strong foundation. This story looks at the ugly side that is not always seen. More and more today in our society people speak out about the harsh realities that these amazing people face and this book shares some of those realities. Hilaria Alexander does a great job of taking a story and giving it heartfelt mean ...more
Livia
Dec 27, 2016 Livia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance junkies & audiobook junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Hilaria Alexander
This is my second read, but my first read via audiobook format. So far, I'm loving narrator Elizabeth Klett's performance.

UPDATED

★.•**•★Unabridged Audiobook Info★•**•.★

Narrated by: Elizabeth Klett
Length: 10 hrs and 44 mins
Release Date: 11-24-16
Publisher: Hilaria Alexander
Writing style: Mainly Lucy's POV with a few occasional chapters in Brandon's POV
Cover design: I love the brightness of it. It’s optimistic and hints nicely at the overall feel of the novel.
Ratings:
Overall rating: ★★★★★ | Eliz
FMR Book Grind
Dec 28, 2015 FMR Book Grind rated it really liked it
LEEANN'S REVIEW
4 STARS

Lucy has just received life altering devestating news.. She has cancer.
Never in her wildest dreams did she think it would lead her to the love of her life. Nor does she realize the struggles they will face in their attempt to get their happy ever after.

Brandon is a doctor and he has plans that don't include a relationship.
He has no clue when he sees Lucy at the hospital what path life is about to take him down.
Not only does he fall in love with Lucy,cancer and all, but al
Maïwenn - Obsessed with Romance
5 STARS!!!

FU CANCER by Hilaria Alexander is one of the most powerful book I've read with such great characters.

Three words could describe it: Strength, hope, love.

As much as the word Cancer can scare you, don't be afraid to read this book. It is beautiful, hopeful, funny, swoony..

This book will give you all the feels. I must say that I'm in awe of how perfectly written and described a single mom's battle against Cancer was.

I would recommend it to every one willing to read a heart wrenching and
Carol
Great read, I loved this story. It felt so real, to read Lucy's journey through her diagnosis of breast cancer and all the emotions and strength it took her to move forward in her life. It is full of joyous moments as well as sad. Her romance with Brandon and his history, that finally reveals itself all helped to understand the connection they were able to make. INSPIRATIONAL and EMPOWERING
Roanne Germaine
Nov 30, 2015 Roanne Germaine rated it it was amazing
5 EMPOWERING STARS!

Lucy is a single working mom. As if her recent divorce was not enough, she recieved devastating news from her doctor that she has breast cancer. When super hot and charming doctor Brandon started showing interest in her, sick and all, she wondered what his real intentions were. Then he left. But inspite of it all, she vowed to fight. Fight the cancer, and fight for their love.

I have been among the first to receive an ARC of FU CANCER , and I feel so thankful. I really loved
Dusty Summerford (Reviews by Reds)
Stunning Read!! This is one of those books that just steals your heart. It is flawlessly written. I was scared to read it at first because of the title! I'm so glad I caved! The story is so upbeat and has so much humor and heart. It truly is beautiful!!

I fell in love with Lucy's spunk immediately!! I love that she speaks her mind!! She had me giggling throughout the story!! She is a divorced mother of two boys starting the biggest battle of her life. Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

Brandon Fuchs is a
Wendy
Dec 02, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
This was such a great book. With cancer being in the title, you just know that it would play a prominent role in the story. But this wasn’t a sad depressing tale but an uplifting and heartwarming one. I was rooting for Lucy, in not only beating cancer but also in her life. I really liked Lucy. She was determined not to let her cancer diagnosis get to her. She had a strength and a resolve that I admired from her. I loved her spirit throughout the book. Now what Lucy wasn’t expecting was to find l ...more
Court
Shel: I remember promoting this novel when it was released and being so curious about it; at the time we were slammed with reviews and couldn't fit it into our reading schedule. I recently found it on Net Galley and excitedly requested it and then made it my next read. I picked it up one Thursday afternoon and by the following Friday evening I was finished with it. The voice of the main character, Lucy, hit all the right spots for me--her irreverence, her good humor, and her unflinching look at ...more
Alison
Mar 18, 2016 Alison rated it really liked it
I was instantly attracted to this book ... anything that says FU Cancer is high on my priorities. I'm currently fighting my own battle, while I don't have breast cancer the overall 'fight' is the same.

Lucy has two young boys, divorced but getting on with life the only thing really bothering her was the '10 year younger model' that her ex-husband had left her for .. nobody likes to be replaced. She has friends and a social life, works in a candy store and then she gets the diagnosis IBC .. her li
Maria
Jan 18, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Newly divorced, Lucy didn't expect things to get more difficult for her than raising her two children on her own but then the doctor says that scariest words out there for a lot of women, breast cancer.

At a time in her life when things should be at the scariest she takes the disease by the horns and is determined to beat it and in the process is it possible that she could find a better happiness than she ever had before?

Lucy is my kind of woman sure she has her uncertainties and her moments of
Sgt93_Wife
Jun 12, 2016 Sgt93_Wife rated it it was amazing
A Beautiful Book Blog
Jan 03, 2016 A Beautiful Book Blog rated it it was amazing
This is my first book to finish in 2016, and man was it spectacular. I loved everything about this book. If I could give this more than 5 Stars I would. It as every element I want in a book. This book has a pretty powerful story, one of fight. Layered with this beautiful unexpected love story that was so amazing, I am still thinking about it.

Lucy, is one amazing complex character, she was written in my option flawlessly. You felt her beauty and her strength dripping through the pages of this boo
Sara Miller
Jun 10, 2016 Sara Miller rated it it was amazing
this was a unflinching look at what it means to not only experience battling Breast Cancer on an individual basis but how it ripples out and affects those around you as well and integrated with that storyline is also a love story. it was a beautiful journey of healing, battling and hope. I really enjoyed learning about Lucy and Dr. F (Brandon) this was my first read by Hilaria but she just fueled my bookworm heart to read everything she writes.
Ashley
Dec 17, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-favorites
This was wonderful. I really enjoyed it.

Lucy has just received news that she has cancer. She's trying to hold it together for herself and her two children as life lately hasn't been going the way she thought it would. She's recently divorced and doing most of the parenting of her two kids on her own, this is not exactly something she was expecting, but she's rolling with it.
She handles things as well as can be expected. It's like she makes it "fun" (I know cancer isn't at all fun) by buying br
Nicola
Jul 22, 2016 Nicola rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Hilaria Alexander and it wasn’t quite what I was expecting! Although it was obvious from the title that it was going to be about someone fighting cancer, I wasn’t expecting the romance element to it (I try to avoid reading reviews before starting a book). However, this added a new element to the book and gave the story an new thread.

At thirty-five, Lucy has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Between recovering from her recent divorced and looking after two s
Barb
Jan 01, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing
This book really hit home for me. I'm sure almost everybody knows someone that either has cancer, beat cancer, or died from cancer. I haven't read a book where the main character finds out she has cancer and then takes the reader on her journey. I am so glad I read this book.
Lucy is a mother of two little boys, recently divorced and she just found out she has breast cancer. With the type of cancer she has, there is little research on how to cure her. So with her future being in limbo, she tries
Starla
Dec 29, 2015 Starla rated it it was amazing
I really loved Lucy from the very beginning of the book. She knew that she was facing a very big challenge and after an initial meltdown she jumped in with both feet. I adored how she told the board of directors to get the F*** out of her way when she was trying to leave her doctor's office right after her diagnosis. I enjoyed the support she had from her mom and Beverly as well. They were amazing women.
I have to admit initially I was on the fence about Brandon. I wasn't sure why he was so draw
Lora
Jan 22, 2016 Lora rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5 stars

I have been handing out good reviews like Halloween candy lately, but the books are really just that good! Ms Alexander takes a topic that is scary and foreboding and turns it into a book I couldn’t put down.

Brandon and Lucy’s journeys aren’t unique and they’re not 100% real-life, but they are definitely worth reading.

I love Lucy’s fighting spirit. I love Brandon’s deep, unabashed love for her. The secrets that come out and the love that is withheld were perfectly balanced wi
Annie
Dec 19, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
This is not just another cancer book. The story does not play like all the other cancer books I read. This is a story of hope. A story of learning to trust and finding strength in oneself.
It is also a story about love and forgiveness and about endurance.

I can't say much more without giving up what the story is about but I think you will be surprised by the way it plays.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Thirteen (Love by Numbers, #4)
  • Why Doesn't God Fix It? - Shining Eternal Light on the Darkness of Chronic Illness
  • Three Twisted Stories: Go Deep, Necessary Women, Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • Accidental Alpha (A is for Alpha Male #3)
  • A Right to Remain
  • Alchemy: a story of perfect murder
  • Into Thin Air
  • Mine 2 Uncut Version (Mine, #2)
  • Sarah Smile (Halos & Horns, #2)
  • GodBomb!
  • The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat and Pokey, Volume 1
  • Savages
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • The Keys to Jericho
  • I am Ella. Buy Me
  • The Bad Girl
  • That's What Friends Are For
Hilaria Alexander was born and raised in the south of Italy, where her family still lives. She was bit by the travel bug early on and lived in Tokyo and Orlando for a while before settling down in Oklahoma City with her husband and kids.
She loves books - obviously - as well as movies and TV, and is addicted to award shows. She can't play an instrument to save her life, but she loves music, which
More about Hilaria Alexander...