Start by marking “Tin Can Serenade” as Want to Read:
Tin Can Serenade

Tin Can Serenade

Two homes in the mountains
Snowed in for winter’s keep;
A river in between them,
A rope tight o’er the deep.

A mother and her daughter,
A father and his son,
A cottage and a cabin,
A story yet unspun

But time did freeze a tin can
Dangling from that rope
A messenger from days gone by,
Echoing long lost hope.

Until a cold November day
Saw decades fall away;
Young hands in
Published July 17th 2015 by Lanternwood Press (first published December 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tin Can Serenade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tin Can Serenade

Start your review of Tin Can Serenade
Olivia
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sooo sweet. A nice little read. It was fun to piece the story together just by reading letters exchanged between a boy and a girl. If it had been a normal length novel I would have found it irritating, but the length and the story was simply lovely :)
Hannah
Four stars for enjoyment level alone, five stars for sweetness, but the pacing has some lumps and there are several editing errors that pulled me out of the story, as well as the boy's POV that was at least a decade too modern for the time frame; a time frame that wasn't set easily at the beginning of the tale; and an abrupt ending.
Worth a read!
Joleen
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, children, romance
Seldom do I use the word enchanting. But if I could borrow it for a moment to use on this enchanting little book, it would be perfect.

Two children separated by a river with no boat to cross use a tin can on a pulley to communicate with notes. Their friendship extends to their parents through the notes, and what surprises and what joy this old rusted tin can brings.

Beginning and ending with delightful little poems, the ending is worth closing your eyes and letting out a satisfied sigh.

Now, isn’t
Andrea Cox
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
by Andrea Renee Cox

A delightful tale in exchanged letters, Tin Can Serenade is a Christmas short story to cherish. A couple of typos and a bit of a slow start are why I docked a star, but I thoroughly enjoyed this e-Short once I caught on to the darling children's method of communication. The setting came alive so vividly, I nearly thought I saw my breath puff out from the chill in the air. I love it when books pull me in like that, where I feel like I'm right there experiencing everything with
Paula Shreckhise
I have been a fan of this author for about a year when I read her novella Up From The Sea. Her writing is so lyrical. This short story is no exception. It is a simple story but the message is very deep in symbolism.
A father and son live on one side of a river and a mother and daughter live on the other. The bridge to connect them is out. The children communicate through letters shuttled across the water in an old tin can via a rope.
The daughter, Jenny, reminds me of the verbose Anne of Green G
H. S. Kylian (Hannah Killian)
I LOVED IT
Kailey
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet

What a sweet little story! I really enjoyed the way that it was written. It was perfect for a quick read.
Rebekah Morris
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
While this story is told in the form of notes from one side of the river to the other, I was able to picture the setting, the characters, and felt like there had been much more in the story than had actually been written. It was very sweet, and the ending was lovely. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
Jessica
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this short story free on amazon so I had nothing to lose by reading it.
The first thing I loved was the cover. Oh, my, that cover is a dream, isn't it?

I moved on to the opening dedication and was intrigued by the fact that the author used her reader's cherished Christmas memories to shape the story. I thought that was a cute idea and was excited to keep reading.
Next came a poem – a sort of prophesy of how the story would unfold. It set everything up really well. It was worded well, and
Jocelyn Green
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
Short and oh so sweet. What a delightful little tale, perfect to read from start to finish with a cup of tea on a cold winter's night. The storytelling technique of notes between two children was clever and beautifully executed. A refreshing and fulfilling story told through unique voices. I loved it--and even more so when I read the author's note at the end, explaining how she wove in some of her readers' Christmas memories into the story. Such a charming tribute to love, Christmas, God, and th ...more
Ellen Gray
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book for free and decided to read it. I really enjoyed it. It is a short, sweet story about a boy and a girl who send notes back and forth over the river separating them. The notes show the personality of each child. I was surprisingly pleased with the fullness of the story even though it is short. I really liked this story.
Kathy Heare Watts
THE GREAT CONDUCTOR
What a delightful quick read. This is little notes and letters sent back and forth across the river in a tin can on a rope pulley. Through the letters, history is revealed, as well as, two people who at one time cared for each other.
Bhriv
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet little read! I loved the way it was written that the two children were writing to each other passing it through the Tim can. Loved how the communicated from the heart. I definitely recommend this as a sweet quick read! I was gifted this book in exchange for my honest review.
Stacy
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is a charming juxtaposition of two time periods, told though letters written by children and sent across the river in a tin can. I like the way the details of the past are slowly revealed and a bright future becomes a reality.
Ugochi Akwiwu
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and written from and to the heart. Loved it!
Chasity
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute short story!
Kate
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this charming short story. It's a tale of love and trial and finding the way back. A very quick and enjoyable read!
LeeAnn
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
This little story was perfectly lovely.
Alexandra
Oh how I loved this short story!! I will definitely have to look up more from this author! She has a very beautiful way of writing! Thank you to my friend that recommended it!!
A.M. Heath
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely delightful!!! Short, sweet, charming, and written solely through letters between children. I LOVED it!
Cheryl Olson
Darling short story- long on charm and nostalgia!
Nadine Keels
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Two children strike up a correspondence, via a tin can and a pulley, that will uncover a long-buried connection between their families, bringing a chance for love and redemption in Tin Can Serenade by author Amanda Dykes.

Tales told all or mostly through characters' correspondence can be a little hit-and-miss with me. But this Victorian short hooked me with its "jump right in and get it!" approach. It's a great example of how a story can say so much without using a lot of words.

It's got some deli
Angie Thompson
This was a sweet story, and I enjoyed the letter format. My only complaints were 1) I couldn't tell what age the children were supposed to be, which made it very hard to picture them, and 2) there were a couple of letters that told way too many details that were already known to the recipient. I know that's hard to get around in a story like this, but it did bug me a little, particularly with the letter that Genevieve finally uses to discover the full backstory. On the whole, though, I did enjoy ...more
Denise
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Little Tale - A Must Read For Romantics

Another lovely little story by a most gifted wordsmith.
It is told in the fashion of two children sending written messages to each other. The tale unfolds to reveal that the boy's widowed father and the girl's widowed mother had shared a past long before either had marred. Now you must read the story to find the rest of it. 😊
Kimberlie Currier
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this story! ❤

This was the sweetest story I have read in a long time. It touched my heart. I highly recommend this story and will be checking out more offerings from this fine author!
Joanna
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A super sweet tiny tale

An enjoyable little tale to brighten your Christmas! Amanda Dykes has a lovely way of turning a phrase - she always creates memorable word pictures in her writing.
Linda
Delightful!

I have just learned about this author, Amanda Dykes! Oh WOW! She has a God-given talent to put words on paper and bring a smile to the reader. Loved this short, Christmas story of love and joy!
Nancy Holte
Super quick read (only 36 pages). A fun little story.
Sally Andrews
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cool box. Very sweet. Neat little Christmas love story. Took less than an hour to read.
Lorna Corcoran
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but delightful
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions? 4 12 Sep 02, 2015 06:53AM

• Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • The Message in a Bottle Romance Collection
  • A Rebel Heart (Daughtry House #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Christmas at the Circus
  • Above the Fold
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Tea Chest
  • No Way Up (Cimarron Legacy, #1)
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Now and Then and Always (Maple Valley, #1)
  • An Heir for Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Short Story
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Molly (Sewing in SoCal, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)