Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Underland: The Queen of Stilled Hearts” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures in Underland: The Queen of Stilled Hearts

Alice's Adventures in Underland: The Queen of Stilled Hearts

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Before Lewis Carroll wrote Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, he was humble Charles Dodgson, mathematician at Christ Church college...and a zombie. Kept sane by a serum, chained to an iron ball, considered one of the finest amateur photographers in Britain, and friend to the three charmingly edible daughters of his superior and owner, Dean Liddell, Mr. Dodgson has quite the ...more
Published July 22nd 2015 by Wonderland Press

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Underland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice's Adventures in Underland

Annamaria
"But, really, it isn't the least bit necessary to use cherries in a tart, just as the necessity of a good story isn't in fairies but in a kind of fairyland, a wonderland."

I would have loved to like this book, really. I thought the premise was great and I never read about zombies so this felt like a good opportunity to start doing so. The problem of this retelling was that it was a copied version of the original Alice in Wonderland with zombies in it.

The story is about this Infection that turns p
Hope Smash
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
It takes a lot for me to not like a book. If it is well written but simply not my taste I will give it at least three stars. To put it frankly, this book just made me angry. I was intrigued because I like Alice in Wonderland and I like Zombies, and I have read crossovers before that I have enjoyed, so I had high hopes. This book did not live up to my expectations. It started out fine, I liked how Lewis Carol/Dodgson was a character and also a zombie. I liked how they included the queen and her s ...more
Robin Morgan
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-own-books
FTC regulations state I must acknowledge that I’ve received a copy KINDLE Edition of this book through a giveaway on LibraryThing.com and that the following is my honest opinion.

Through NetFlix I’ve probably seen all the versions of “Alice ub Wonderland” on television and in films ever made here in the US and the UK, which is why seeing this book intrigued me enough to have entered this giveaway.

This I feel is part biographical as it pertains to the life of Carol Lewis [Charles Dodgson] since he
Nicola Fantom
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, I entered the giveaway for this, however I didn't win it. The author was then kind enough to send me a free eBook in exchange for review.

This book was inspired by Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, however information about Lewis Carroll life were sourced from his biography.

I started this book at around 9 pm and I just could not put this down, I eventually fell asleep around 2am, and finished the rest today.

What an exciting, enthralling read, with lots of elements of the
Nina
Thanking the author for sending me a free copy in exchange for a review.

I love retellings, but it has become a scary thing when it comes to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. I get either bored or annoyed and I struggle to finish the story. I had come to a point where I had enough of zombie versions and girls yielding swords.

I got seduced: Charles Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll, a zombie? In Victorian England? I never dared to think Knippling would knock my socks off. And how she did! Probably THE BE
James
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DeAnna Knippling strikes the perfect tone in "Alice's Adventures in Underland: The Queen of Stilled Hearts." One suspects the author was possessed by the spirit of Lewis Carroll while penning this delightful and thoroughly entertaining novel. I have read other Alice/Zombie stories and none of them comes close to achieving what Knippling has in capturing the voice and spirit and absurdity of the original books. If Lewis Carroll had written about zombies, this would be the book! For fans of Alice ...more
Lorryn Woodward
The best retelling of Alice I have read (well the only one) but the point is it's fantastic. And the ending was woah! I can't wait for the next book.
Darlene Cruz
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this off kilter macabre of Alice meets Mr. Dodgson and zombies. Never read Alice in Wonderland but I saw a movie of the tale. This book, well written and detailed but all so graphic which caused me to flinch and laugh at the same time. Things I expected to happen did happen but most surprised, when I was wrong. Alice, spunky little thing with a mouth of words to get her into trouble which is all the time because she spent most of it getting her hair pulled or pinched or chas ...more
Richard
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll start of by saying I've never "read" Alice in Wonderland. Of course, I did see Disney's version of it years ago, but never the printed word. That said, DeAnna's Adventures in Underland has convinced me that I am going to have to correct this omission. I found this macabre story fascinating from start to finish. I don't follow a lot of zombie literature and I wouldn't group this beautifully crafted story in the zombie genre. But it does have zombies, Victorian England, and mischievous childr ...more
Heather Snowe
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

While I found Pride and Prejudice and Zombies basically unreadable after the first few chapters, Alice's Adventures in Underland is a much more skillfully-executed take on a similar theme. The homage to the psychodelic aspects of Alice in Wonderland didn't bash me over the head, but instead formed an uneasy undercurrent of uncertainty about what was real and not. Mr. Dodson is rendered with sympathy and a dash of sinister that crea
Angela
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this in a goodreads first reads drawing. With all the new rewrites of alice stories its hard to choose which are worthwhile. I would say knippling succeeds bringing a new twist to the story, not only bringing zombies into the mix but also focusing on the story tellers more than alice in underland. It left me wanting to research further the true lives surrounding lewis carol that I otherwise might not care to do.
Nancie
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of zombies, but I still really really really enjoyed this book. It's a very clever and well written retelling of one of my favorite all time stories ever. I also loved the mix of fact and fiction and how much it resembles the original in the "storytelling" part of the book. A wonderful twist on a classic. Looking forward to the next one!
Sara Duncan
I received a copy of this book via First Reads here on Goodreads and what an awesome win! I really enjoyed reading this take on Alice in Wonderland, especially since it had zombies! Really fun, quick read and my only complaint is that it felt a bit rushed and definitely could have been made into a much longer novel.
Brandi Nyborg
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm always ready for a good retelling! It is very hard to find an entertaining retelling, but this author nailed it! I've only personally seen the movies, since I'm not a huge fan of classic books, and tend to find them boring. This book held my full attention the entire time. The zombie aspect made it far more entertaining. I would definitely read more from this series!
William Deakin
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing as I had high hopes from reading other reviews. The description of the zombie infection and its impact on society was barely covered and the main story seemed just a rehash of the original without adding anything new.
Kaitlyn Turner
Aug 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book through Goodread's First Reads Giveaway! Hopefully I'll have a proper review up of it soon.
Annemarie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this, but I didn't. I love Alice in wonderland retellings so I was quite excited about this one. I had never really read a book with zombies, so that was a first. Mostly this book repeats a shorter version of Alice in wonderland, except the word zombie gets added in a bunch of times. Even before the retelling begins, I couldn't really get into the story. While I really like Alice as a character in the original, she is incredibly annoying in this version. Most of the other ...more
Jammin Jenny
This was a pretty good retelling. I liked the way that the author put the storyteller as a zombie living with Alice's family, and how he had to have the serum to stay sane. I also liked the zombie feel to Underland, and loved having all my familiar characters in the story (caterpillar, disappearing cat, dormouse).
Melanie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, this book is basically the story of Lewis Carroll (a zombie) telling Alice and her sisters the story of Underland. With zombies and some crazy imagery thrown in. It's actually pretty cool and I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel.
Kj (Birds Love Words)
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love the Alice in Wonderland tale – who doesn’t its magical nonsense – so I was quite excited when I picked this book up. Alice in Wonderland is one of the few fairy tales I don’t mind being retold and I really tried to like this book – but I just couldn't.

The book, written from Alice’s perspective, speculates on the circumstances that led up to the writing of the original Alice in Wonderland – with an added zombie twist. The words are written in the style of Lewis Caroll and although a little
K.
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a story! Beautiful written and so perfectly blended into the Alice mythos one wonders if this isn't the original Lewis Carroll version after all!

Zombies play a prominent role in the boo, but these are not your typical mostly decomposed brain-starved monsters that abound in the genre today. These zombies are well mannered and well heeled, if not well trusted. Gentlemen, with a healthy doze of animal hunger, all the more terrifying for its understatement.

At it's heart, this is a story about a
Mmessina
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. All thoughts and opinions are honest and my own.

I loved this book. It had a great twist on Alice in wonderland, by adding in zombies and telling more of a story. I loved the main character Alice but my favorite character has to be Mr. Dodgson. He was so interesting and I love where his story wentt and that he told Alice and her sisters the the story of Alice in Underland. I would recommend this book for people who like Pride and Prejudice and zo
Joelle
May 23, 2017
Corrina
Aug 03, 2015
  • Chainsaw Alice in Wonderland
  • The Crocodile's Jaws (Alice in Deadland #7)
  • Bedlam Stories
  • Escape from Wonderland
  • Alice in Sunderland
  • Beware the Little White Rabbit
  • Twisted
  • Meditations In Wonderland
  • Falling for Alice
  • Alice In Wonderland High
  • Georgiana and the Wolf (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 6)
  • Mad About the Hatter
  • In the Matter of Fallen Angels: A Short Story
  • Asphyxia
  • Honor and Integrity: A Collection of Pride and Prejudice-Inspired Short Stories
  • The Many Watsons
  • Escape: The First Omnibus WTF I-III (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #0)
  • Road Kill (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2.5)
DeAnna Knippling is a freelance writer, editor, and designer living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. She has published short stories in numerous publications, including Black Static, Big Pulp, Crossed Genres, Penumbra, and more. She runs her own micropress at http://www.WonderlandPress.com.