Start by marking “The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)

The Will of the Wanderer

(Rose of the Prophet #1)

Since time began, twenty Gods have ruled the universe. Though each god possessed different abilities, each was all-powerful within his realm. Now one of the Gods has upset the balance of power, leaving the others scrambling for control in the new order...

Here is the epic tale of the Great War of the Gods—and the proud people upon whom the fate of the world depends. When th
Published December 1st 1988 by Spectra Books

Start your review of The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
Amanda
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I'm allowed to love this book so unreservedly. See, it was published a while ago and is fantasy that plunders eastern culture for its inspiration in terms of setting and characters. But it is written by white people casting their eyes on the culture and I know that these days there is more of a cry for authentic eastern cultures written by people who are actually *of* that culture.

The thing is, though, I feel that in a lot of ways this novel is quite enlightened. There are differ
Dayna
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Rose of the Prophet series. This has long been a favourite series of mine. I like that it has a very different setting to most fantasy being mainly based in the desert and with desert people, a great well developed mythology with all the different gods and the different peoples that worship these gods and some wonderful characters to tell the story with.

The journey begins in this book for your main characters, particularly Khardan, Zohra and Matthew and the people a
Tiffany
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly powerful trilogy. The people are complex, strongly portrayed, and have a sense of self unlike any I've encountered in books before. Their gods are powerful, believable, and- perhaps most importantly of all- have deeply human emotions that make them very likable. The plot is tightly woven, dropping the reader into the blackest pits of despair yet still somehow retaining that small, impossibly held hope that somehow, someway, everything will work out. A masterful work of art w ...more
Marcus Johnston
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The dialogue in this book is freaking hilarious! A fun fantasy set in an Arabian setting, the characters are so rich and fun, the gods are meddlesome, and the immortals take the cake. Really interesting world-building - even for the person who's not really into fantasy, Weis and Hickman make it really come to life. A worthwhile read!
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: djinn, desert-fantasy
The Will of the Wanderer is the first book in the series "Rose of the Prophet." It's a desert fantasy filled with magic, religion, superstition, love, betrayal, adventure, battle and fate. There are 20 Gods, each with 3 different facets, and a sort of "head God" named Sul, who is a the centre of things. The three primary Gods of interest are Promenthas (Mathew's God), who has a hierarchy of angels; Akhran (the desert people's God), who has djinn servants; and Quar (the "neutral God"), who want ...more
Lani
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, own
One of my favorite 'pick it back up' fantasy series for whatever reason. I haven't really read many other Weis/Hickman stories because they fall into the generic D&D style fantasy that got old in middle school. They have a particular 90s flavor that is nostalgic, but not something I need to rehash.

This series goes in a different direction that makes it a fun read. Not great literature, but no dragons or even traditional wizards. I like how magic is handled in the series, and familiar immortals (
John Love IV
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok, this one is very hard for me. I remember reading these a long time ago and loving them. Now my feelings aren't so positive.

First, I should say that the plots and characters are not the problem. I still like both. But, OMG, the writing style is SO juvenile I'd be reluctant to let kids read them. Mix that with some slightly mature content (note slightly) and I don't know who I could feel comfortable handing these to with my recommendation.

It's a shame really because the concepts and character
Todd
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is the first book in the Rose of the Prophet trilogy.

This book introduces you to a world full of main and secondary characters that will be much more enjoyable come the second book. This book plods along at times and the action is barely enough to keep your interest and you barely care for some of these characters.

Hang in there I know the 2nd book gets much better.

Katie Marquette
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this series, and I'm not even a science fiction fan. Keep in mind, I read these a few years back and probably need to go back for a reread, but all I know is that these books were insanely addictive and I read all three in the course of two weeks or so. We get a love story, some magical intrigue, battle scenes, you name it. And a happy ending to match. What more could you want?
Blodeuedd Finland
Oct 16, 2014 marked it as dnf
It just so dragged out. And I never felt connected so dnf
Anja
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the story a lot. It's not too complex, just a fun read. The setting (an arabian-like Fantasy world) is refreshing and the characters are great. The narrating could use some refining though. For example, sometimes things shouldn't be explained as elaboratly as they were.
Martina Sanjaya
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story, like 1001 nights tales elaborated into longer series. Nothing less could be expected from these writers, however. Some was a bit clumsy, as the writers were not native to these culture, but still okay.
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yet another unique and creative world is created by Weis and Hickman in this trilogy from the authors of the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy. In the Rose of the Prophet trilogy, a divided world ruled by separate gods, each jealous of the others, is the scene for a dramatic story of love, pride, and deciet. While the plot and the characters took a while to fully develop, by the end of this first book the reader is totally absorbed in a world in which nearly everything is possible. The characters a ...more
Jenna
I really enjoyed this series, more than I meant to. I read these, at first, because I am a big fan of the authors, and had yet to read anything of theirs that wasn't Dragonlance. I was delightfully surprised by how much FUN these books were.

I also enjoyed the whole "good guy/bad guy" aspect insofar as the lines weren't always clearly defined between antagonist and protagonist. Clearly we knew, at the beginning, who we were supposed to root for... but as the story went on, who you WEREN'T suppos
Adobe
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
To confront a divine threat, the Wandering God Akhran forces the representatives of two nomadic desert tribes -- Princess Zohra and Calif Khardan -- to marry. Problematically, their two tribes have been at war for generations. Further complicating matters is Matthew, a young wizard from across the sea and the newest member of Khardan's totally celibate harem. Wacky hijinks ensue.

I was weeding out my paperback collection in preparation for another trip to Favorite Used Bookstore, and I pulled out
Sara Forsberg
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and I was a little surprised that I did. I'd heard both good and bad things about it, and the excerpts I'd read didn't really grip me all that much. But the story is entertaining and the characters complex and the plot is intriguing. It's obviously heavily influenced by eastern stories and the fact that the culture is so reminiscent of Arab culture that the characters actually use words like jihad and salaam aleikum means that it becomes a little difficult to take it seriou ...more
Liana
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a silly little romp this book was! I didn't expect it to be so goofy... I had quite a few unexpected giggles throughout the chapters.

The story was long, but I still liked it. The first couple of parts were my favorite though, as they were like little short stories that were easy to follow.~ I have a few favorite scenes revolving around Mathew, (who is by FAR my most favorite character of the cast) but I'd be sitting here all night trying to explain them all. What's not to love about the inn
James Swenson
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Standard fantasy fare, with an Arabian theme.

Notable for a pantheon of twenty gods indexed by faces of an icosahedron. The 12 vertices of this d20 represent philosophies like Mercy, Patience, Greed, and Chaos; each god is characterized by the appropriate three of these. The arrangement should warm the heart of any mathematician, or any D&D player, despite an appalling error on page 9: "The twenty facets of the Jewel are made up of connecting triangles, each triangle sharing sides with four other
Mario
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It starts off slow, but it really picks up once the main characters really fall into place. The idea of the pantheon is great, except that the execution is severely lacking as the stated structure is seemingly impossible to achieve (why bother going through the effort just to get it wrong?). I'm also a little confused about the relative strengths and weaknesses of immortals, and their apparent contradictions, but I guess that's something you just have to ignore. Mostly enjoyable overall; I look ...more
Jorge Caballero
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
If this was my first time reading this book I might have given it only 2 stars: an overall deus ex machina feeling, and lackluster characters, dialogues and plot.

Still, I’m giving it the 3rd star because I acknowledge I’m not the target audience for it and I remember reading this series on junior high, and enjoying it so that I’ve been wanting to revisit it for a while... I still have hope that the series will get better on the 2nd and 3rd books.
Richard Houchin
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This series is a lot of fun! It reads suspiciously like a chronicling of a D&D campaign...but the characters are enjoyable. These books feel shallower than the other Weiss/Hickman stories I've read -- I didn't get much philosophy or ethics out of Rose of the Prophet. But hey, I once heard that fantasy novels are for entertainment; if you want to send a message use Western Union. ...more
V Mignon
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
My least favorite of Weis and Hickman's. Unlike their others, this series lacks charm and there are practically no memorable characters. I've come to terms with my teenage love for Weis and Hickman and though I could never love them as much as I used to, their other books were more interesting. Their best was probably the Death Gate series. This . . . not so much.
Jasmine
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
A very standard fantasy series with a fair few non-standard elements to make it worthwhile. The system of gods is very interesting (though not fully thought out - many gods share the same domain), and D&D players will be interested to meet (in later books) the Paladins of the Night - the best representation of LE alignment I've seen. Anyway, worth one read, but probably no more ...more
Amanda
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read this series years back on the recommendation of my parents, who love the fantasy genre. I was suprised to find I enjoyed it to! There is something to be said about escaping to another world, at least every once and a while.
Charles
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Interesting world-construction. Slightly-awkward depictions of race/religion. Very awkward attitudes toward gender, but balanced by reasonably complex attitudes toward sexuality. The writing style is a bit too goofy.
Robyn Brown
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the beginning, but was quickly drawn in~it's the interesting lives of djinns (genies) and desert nomads~of course I don't have the other 2 books of the trilogy, nor does the library so I must begin the hunt for them!
Chris
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A wonderful take on the Arabian Nights theme... complete with nomads, sorcerers, djinn, and sultry maidens.
Siliconspider
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Sid Fallon
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful classic sword and sorcery fantasy set in an Arabian-type land with gods and mortal societies reflective to that period and mythology.
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
Just read this again for the second time. Been about 18 years since I first read this, thought I'd revisit it. Just as good the 2nd time round. Started straight on to book 2.
Problem with the structure of gods 3 25 Aug 11, 2012 01:32PM

• Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • Belgarath the Sorcerer
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)
  • Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Rose of the Prophet (3 books)
  • The Paladin of the Night (Rose of the Prophet, #2)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)

News & Interviews