Start by marking “The Memory Book” as Want to Read:
The Memory Book

The Memory Book

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  5,535 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews
They tell me that my memory will never be the same, that I'll start forgetting things. At first just a little, and then a lot. So I'm writing to remember.

Sammie was always a girl with a plan: graduate at the top of her class and get out of her small town as soon as humanly possible. Nothing will stand in her way--not even a rare genetic disorder the doctors say will slowly
Published July 5th 2016 by Poppy / Hachette Book Group

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Book, please sign up.
Jans6ever Very sad. I would say it is even more optimistic, but the book is about a fatal chronic illness, so expect very strong emotions.
Dyann
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,535 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews

Lola
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it

I feel a little sad and empty right now. I think I was watching a movie before I decided to finish The Memory Book—what was it?—but now I don’t feel like it anymore…

This was my first time reading about dementia. Everything I thought I knew about the illness turned out to be damn wrong and stereotyped. Boy was I wrong.

Dementia doesn’t necessarily kill a person—physically—but it does kill their memories, and so, because Sammie wants to fight that, wants to still remember, she started writ
C.G. Drews
I'M NOT CRYING. YOU'RE CRYING.

Okay, truly, this was such a good book. It made me sniffle. I could actually feel the ghosts of tears deep in my eyeballs (spoiler: I do not actually cry while reading; but sometimes I feel like it). It was so so SO well written and emotional and the characters....ohhhh my gosh. You know how complex, dimensional, interesting characters can absolutely MAKE a book? They made this book. I wish to hug it MANY MANY TIMES.

Yes this is an "illness" book. It's about Niemann-
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, 2018
If you're reading this, you're probably wondering who you are...
You are me, Samantha Agatha McCoy, in the not-so-distant future. I'm writing his for you. They say my memory will never be the same, that I'll start forgetting things. At first just a little, and then a lot. So I'm writing to remember.

Niemann-Pick C (NPC), a rare genetic disorder that can affect cognition, motor function, memory and metabolism is at the heart of The Memory Book but it is Sammie's personal journey that will captu
May
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA NOVELA QUE EMOCIONA Y LLEGA MUY ADENTRO

Kit de supervivencia para mi futuro yo es una novela contemporánea bastante interesante y con un planteamiento duro pero que está muy bien tratado. Personalmente me ha sorprendido para bien en muchos aspectos y creo que es una novela que está muy bien escrita muy bien desarrollada y que llega fácilmente al lector. El lector se mete por completo la historia y la historia se mete dentro de él de una manera increíble.
La novela nos cuenta una historia ba
Lazar
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, love-the-cover
I'm not okay.I just want to sit somewhere and cry for few hours :'(
Giselle

It's 2:30AM and I just finished reading this...*sniffles* And yes I'm tearing.. What a beautifully written book with such loud and interesting characters. Not only is there emphasis on the romance, but there's friendship and family.. And good Lord the letters at the end just made me cry. I loved Sammie. I love her ambition and her drive and her passion to not let this disease take over. Such a great message to everyone.. I'm going to recommend this to everyone and their mother. AHHH <3

------
Victoria
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Книгата наистина успя да ме докосне. Накара ме да се замисля, натъжа, но и много се забавлявах, докато прелиствах страниците. Стилът на авторката е лек и приятен, разтоварващ и проникновен. Последната страница (колкото и да е кратка) я прочетох няколко пъти подред, защото исках да съм сигурна, че съм я запомнила. Защо трябваше да я прочета толкова бързо? Защо?!
K.
I honestly think the problem with this book is that I'm too damned old for it. I can tell already that the teenagers I work with will EAT THIS UP AND SOB OVER IT FOREVER. Meanwhile, I'm a grumpy old lady, waving her walking stick at the damned kids on her lawn.

Frankly, I liked the secondary characters much more than the primary ones. Sam takes risks with her own life and the lives of others. Like...her parents are all "dude, don't go anywhere without a first responder". She has a condition that
Patty
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, own
** 4.5 stars **

photo Sophia-Bush-Cries-On-One-Tree-Hill_zpsyx3z8dvd.gif

Dear Lara Avery,
thanks for breaking my heart.
Sincerely, Patty

-------------------------
I have so many emotions/feelings/whatever going through my mind.
 photo 9518084_zpsjglq33pq.gif

I finished The Memory Book late last night, and after I got over crying for a good solid hour (okay, so it was more like 2-3) I was filled with anger? No, no. Not the right word. Maybe frustration would be a better word? Yep. We'll go with that for the time being. I was frustrated with myself because I wasn't emotional prepared for
Stacee
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is 100% not the type of book I would normally request. Angsty times are okay in very small and short doses, but there was something about that synopsis that intrigued me.

I loved Sammie. I loved how smart she was and how she determined to deal with the disease. Her family was awesome and I adored her parents.

This subject is a little {a lot} heartbreaking and how it was handled with the journal entries was just about perfection. The chapters without titles and wonky spelling/wording were so
Лунната мечтателка
През цялото време се възхищавах на Саманта и волята ѝ за живот. Появата на Стюарт и Куп в живота ѝ ѝ повлия добре. Уви, не очаквах такъв край. Някак си все ми се искаше да е различен.
Dannii Elle
My full review is available on United by Pop.

Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This book is formatted in journal style entries penned by the fictional Samantha McCoy. Sammie is a straight A over-achiever with a love for The Lord of the Rings and a strict schedule for how her life is going to pan out. That is until she is diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that sees her memory depleted and has a 100% fatality rate.

Faced with the questions of her own mortality, Sammie must learn to accept her new fate a
Espe
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un 4,5 en realidad.

Desde un primer momento supe que esta novela me iba a gustar y no me equivocaba nada de nada, ha sido una lectura preciosa que me ha aportado mucho más de lo que me esperaba.

Es original el modo en el que está narrado, pues es un libro que la protagonista se escribe a sí misma para no olvidar nada en sus peores momentos y podemos ver cómo se dirige a la futura Sam en más de una ocasión o como se da consejos, somos un espectador con privilegios, un observador de memorias, viven
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Oh, what a happy day when a book gets one out of one’s reading slump! Do you ever pick up a book and just know from the first page that you’re going to likely fall in love? Yeah, that was me and The Memory Book. Sammie just jumped out at me from the start, and I knew that I was all in. Her character jumped right off the page, and I was enamored with her immediately. And I stayed that way
Sophie
I honestly did not know what to expect when I went into this book. I was sent a copy by the publisher, unsolicited, and a quick check online made me give it a chance, and let me tell you, I'm so glad that I did! The Memory Book follows Samantha, who had her life all planned out, until she discovers that she has a rare medical condition that will limit her life. Her condition, Niemann-Pick Type C, is a disease that affects memory and gradually shuts down the body. So, she needs a new plan. Knowin ...more
Maddie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The format was really fun to read but I wasn't a fan of how messy it could feel sometimes - it felt like, after the first 40%, I couldn't predict where the story was going, or it wasn't building up to where it ended. Still, I guess that's what real life is like, so in that case, it gets an A++

The one thing that got at me was Sammie's reluctance to tell people about her NPC. If they reacted badly, then that's a good sign to cut those people out of your life. If they react kindly, but not too pat
Monica
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La sinopsis prometía mucho y mis expectativas eran altas y es lamentable el decir que no las cumplió.

La historia no es mala pero a mi parecer hubo algunos elementos que no funcionaron, se centró de más en el romance y en un dos por tres llegamos a un final que literal fue de una hoja a otra. Me faltó material por leer. Pudo haber explorado mejor el concepto que era muy bueno, los primeros capítulos sí atrapan pero más allá de la mitad comienza a decaer en divagaciones que lograron perder el hilo
Lisa
Verdomme. Mijn hart. Een tijd geleden dat een boek mij zodanig wist te raken.
Joost
Mooi boek, wist me niet te laten janken maar ik snap zeker waarom het veel mensen raakt. De vorm van het boek (een dagboek) vond ik ook heel fijn om te lezen. Sammie was in het begin wat gevoelloos, maar later werd haar karakter vele malen mooier. Op 1 september bespreken de YA Boekverslinders bij Silvester Boek en Spel in Zoetermeer dit boek, sluit vooral aan, want deze leesclub is echt heel leuk! Mijn recensie kan je hier lezen:
Esther
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wauw, ik vond dit zo'n mooi boek. Het is zo verdrietig, ik denk dat ik even moet bijkomen.
Alja Katuin
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
Shelves: favorites
Potverdriejandubbeltjes nog aan toe.. Wat een einde.

Ik ga binnenkort wel een recensie doen, maar nu even niet. Maar ik raad hem je wel alvast aan!

-edit-

Tja.. Ik kon eerlijk gezegd niet meteen een recensie schrijven omdat ik mezelf eerst even weer bij elkaar heb moeten rapen. En op het moment dat ik dacht dat ik dat gedaan had en wou beginnen met een recensie dat het boek ook echt eer aan zou doen, kwam er heel wat gedoe tussen in mijn leven. :')!
Maar nu, bijna een maand later, komt toch écht
Teodora
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.
I still can't realise how much i loved this book. I never expected to like it that much, for it to bring me so many emotions and for me to not want to finish it because of that. It was such a beautiful read, full with beautiful characters, stories and life lessons. I loved it. It was really, really powerful.
Anny
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un 4'5 en realidad. Ha sido una novela preciosa, conmovedora, (tanto que he acabado llorando), con una narración que me ha encantado y una protagonista igual de genial. Nunca había leído nada sobre una enfermedad mental de este tipo y sinceramente me ha encantado y la he disfrutado muchísimo, por la historia, por cómo avanza poco a poco, por sus personajes. Más que recomendable.
Teodora
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very easy and light read. If I wasn't in this reading slump I would've finished this in a day. Even though the ending is sad, its a happy sad. I didn't feel depressed at all from it. I think its cause we are all expecting it, even if we wish it never happened. I never knew such a thing as NPC existed so I'm glad I read this book. I love Cooper even if he doesn't have a 50's hairdo :')
Eva Wildeman
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wat een eind 😭 ik moet even bijkomen jongens.
Katie Grace
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, contemporary
this was such a beautiful book. it was a sad book -- we're talking about memory loss, but it was done in such a way that it still felt a little hopeful. the writing was gorgeous, the cover is gorgeous, and I love how the book was set up. it all worked so perfectly, and I didn't put it down once I started reading.

there was also a character who was a writer and I related to some of his writer woes so that made me ridiculously happy. :P
Trisha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I'm glad I'm writing the good and the bad. I'm glad I didn't delete anything. If you can only remember your aspirations, you will have no idea how you got from point A to point B."

What a tough but very good read. About something I'd never heard of - Niemann-Pick Type C (or NPC). And the journey through Sammie's life as her goal driven self comes to the realization that she has a disease - will leave you shaken. A powerful story and one I'm glad I read.

Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I really loved the first quarter of the book - I feel in love with the characters and the narration style! (For once I felt like the unique format actually worked really well and genuinely enhanced the reading experience!) You knew it was building up to something, and I just wanted everyone to stay in this happy, protective bubble. But you know that's impossible because it's the whole reason Sammie's writing this book in the first place - so that she can remember everything that was important to ...more
Figgy
Actual Rating 2.5

The Memory Book has many of the required elements for a book that will tug at your heartstrings and linger long after reading.
- Our main character has a condition which will result in the loss of her memory and eventually her life.

- Said main character with said devastating and ultimately fatal condition is a teenager who’s about to finish high school and has so many plans for her future. Plans which will never eventuate thanks to said condition.

- Recently after the diagnosis sh
Nomes
I really liked this and once I got about 20% into it, I found my reading mojo and didn't want to put it down. I loved where the story went and if I had to make a criticism it is that the first half of the novel felt so completely different to the second half (in terms of setting and characters who were give a lot of page time). Although, this does reflect the main characters life as it changed dramatically over the course of the novel. This is definitely a tissue box book, but with plenty of swo ...more
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 1 7 Jul 19, 2018 04:22PM
FYA Book Club of ...: August 2017 - The Memory Book 1 5 Aug 07, 2017 08:41AM
Forever Young Adu...: August 2017 meeting 2 10 Jul 17, 2017 11:33AM
Crazy for Young A...: The Memory Book by Lara Avery → Start Date: January 15, 2017 20 17 Jan 21, 2017 06:13PM
  • As Stars Fall
  • The Love Story (The Things We Can't Change, #4)
  • Broken Road
  • When Michael Met Mina
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
“I think people fake that they're having fun a lot of the time in photos, because they want people to think they're having fun. Well, that's not life, is it?” 31 likes
“We have to get used to the idea that no one cares as much as us, because guess what, they don’t. Succeed, fail, whatever, no one is going to give you a pat on the back for spending all hours of the day studying, or researching, or giving up everything to write. So we’ve got to just do it for ourselves.” 25 likes