Start by marking “Hot Toy” as Want to Read:
Hot Toy

Hot Toy

Previously published in the anthology Santa, Baby, HOT TOY is now available as a standalone e-story for the first time!

Mayhem ensues under the mistletoe as a determined shopper grabs the very last hot toy action figure off the shelf, only to find herself plunged into the middle of a real-life spy game and in the arms of a sexy secret agent...
Published October 13th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

Alp
2.5/5

Not as good as expected.

The premise sounded very promising. I initially thought it was my kind of book, but unfortunately, by the end, it wasn't to my taste. Not only didn't the story work out the way I hoped, but the romance between this main couple also fell flat. The hero was ok but the heroine annoyed me to no end. I don't understand why he wanted this kind of woman in his life. Duh.

3 stars is me being generous!

Lois Bujold
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Best. Christmas. Novella. Ever.

A woman determined, in support of her bereft sister, to obtain the wanted Christmas toy for her nephew, whose jerk dad has recently run off with the nanny, runs afoul of a spy plot. Inspired madness ensues.

I first read this in a romance anthology some years back, of which I remember exactly zero other entries. I'm very pleased to see it available as a separate e-book. It has a bit of a Love, Actually vibe to it; the romance as such takes rather a back seat to the a
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really enjoy Jennifer Crusie's writing so when I saw that I had the chance to review this story, I didn't even think twice about it. Of course, I would love it. I always love Jennifer Crusie's work. But then a strange thing happened while I was reading it, I found that I didn't really care for it. It actually made my head hurt a little to read it. I even stopped to check that I was really reading a Jennifer Crusie story a couple of times wh
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
2 More Like "Hot Mess" Stars

You know how there are these books that have no story to speak off? The ones that make you wonder if there is anything beyond the romance going on there? Well, this book was just the opposite.

This was a short, Christmas story. It was supposed to be all about the romance, right? Well, for once, a fluffy book had too much going on. From the beginning with the cheesy "toy" trouble, to the end with the spies and the agencies and the whatnot, this book was a mess!

I've onl
Rose
Short and sweet novella from Jennifer Crusie. This was the first time I'd read it and it was previously published in an anthology from 2006, but it's now available as a standalone.

Quick review for a quick read. You guys have no idea how much I did mental jumping jacks and cartwheels when I saw this listed on NetGalley. (So my actual reaction was akin to saying "OMG, YES! WIN! BRING IT! I WANT TO READ THIS!" As if my caps lock isn't enough emphasis.) Jennifer Crusie is one of my favorite romance
Ami
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ami by: Katie
Shelves: romance

First of all, this is not a new material. Instead, this used to be part of the Santa, Baby anthology, but have only now released as stand-alone ebook. I was curious after I saw my friend Katie gave this 4* and Dear Author gave this an A-recommended review. Besides, I used to like Crusie's stories so much.

Alas, I guess I have to admit that my taste has changed and I no longer find Crusie's brand of wacky and over-the-top story-line compelling. I couldn't even found anything amusing in th
Andrea
A Christmas screwball comedy romance. Didn't really hit it for me - there's plenty of humour, but the two very pushy guys didn't make it a fun read for me.
Ivy Deluca
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
[3.5 stars]

description
I really enjoyed it. Like a tasty Christmas treat - it was a slightly snarky, slightly action-packed, yet ultimately happy Christmas-y type novella with Ms. Crusie’s signature humor and ultimate good cheer. It brings to mind a hint of the classic Charade (the movie with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant, not the game) but on a tighter timeline. I’d recommend it.

**ARC provided by publisher via netgalley for review**
Linda
Looking for a great lunch hour read look no more!
"Hot Toy", will fill that order!
What dio you get when you have a desperate aunt looking for that impossible to get toy on Christmas Eve for her nephew.? You get a novella filled with humor, two hunky men, danger, espionage, national security concerns ; oh and did I say Romance!
Probably my shortest review , but I absolutely loved this novella!
ARC copy provided by St Martins press via netgalley for an honest review.
Katie
This was fun! It's so short I don't have much to say, but it's one of those novellas that felt like a complete story. It didn't try to do too much. (Although, that said, I didn't entirely follow the plot . . . but that might be the fault of the wine + holiday weekend.)
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
It's that time of year and I want to read some (hopefully) good holiday romances!!
Trudy is a university librarian. She gets asked out by (who she thought was) one of the university professors. They go on some dates and she thinks it was going well. Until he doesn't call.
Fast forward a few months. Trudy is at a toy store looking for the year's hottest toy for her nephew. Who else does she run into but THAT guy. Nolan. Who happens to be working undercover.
What happened next was a matter of nati
Kathy
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a rather complex short story. Trudy is caught up in the Christmas Eve rush, looking for a specific toy for her nephew. Due to its popularity and the late date, there are none to be found. While searching through all the store toys looking for the toy that may have been misplaced, Trudy bumps into a college teacher she once dated, who never called back after their last date, and into a one-time research assistant to her own college professor father. Once Trudy finds last year’s model of t ...more
Dawnie
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
This story is... Different. I was expecting a cute fluffy holiday story, but got something I never expected.

BascuLly it is a story about the Christmas rash and trying to get exactly the toy your sisters child wants for Christmas. And then things get extremely crazy.

This story did not really fit my personal humor -since I guess that is what cruise was aiming for: humor- but it was still a pretty good fast and easy read. It clearly showdased that no matter how crazy you think your Christmas might
Anita
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hot Toy by Jennifer Cruise is LOL and a case study in how nuts someone can get in pursuit of the must have toy of the season. Of course, you throw in two hunky guys and National Security and it is just an hysterical, funny story. No sex but a fun ride.
Toni FGMAMTC
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday, comedy

I had the best time reading this romantic comedy novella. The laughs started almost immediately and played out like a holiday family movie. All that can go wrong does, but it also goes very right.

While last minute insanity shopping for the most popular toy of the season for her nephew, Trudy gets caught up in a battle between government agents. The dialogue is truly great. The cast is made up of an ex, cougar bait, a drunken sister and other crazies. The one goal in Trudy's
Evie
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hot ToyI think this is one of my favorite holiday short stories now. What's more is it didn't have any sexy time and I LOVE sexy time! On this one Jennifer Crusie went only as far as throwing a few kisses here and there. My book friends will probably raise their brows when they hear how much I loved this book.

This was a previously published work as part of an anthology and now it's being published by itself. If you haven't read it, you should. And if you've read it, then I'd recommend a reread.

T
Gaele
2.5 stars – rounded

Christmas comes with madness, mayhem and occasionally that ‘perfect’ present that is on the must get list. The first time I’ve encountered Jennifer Crusie’s titles, this was a re-release as a singular story from an anthology.

Trudy is last-minute shopping for that one ‘must have’ toy when she runs into her ex, Nolan. Some cute banter is the highlight here between them, and then the story starts to get a bit unfocused and strange.

Mistaken identities, moments that don’t quite
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Original Post:
HOT TOY by Jennifer Cruisie: It’s the Thought that Counts

Ebook provided by publisher for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

You know when someone send you a present and the wrapping is fabulous, and your friend is rich so it’s liable to be something fabulous? Yeah, well, this was offered as a gift from St. Martins to bloggers on Net Galley and it seems like something that’s been
Eva • All Books Considered
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 2.5 STARS

I love Jennifer Crusie but this story felt so dated (and it is from 2006). Maybe if I had first read it back then, I would have liked it more but reading it today just seemed kind of sad. While I do typically enjoy Crusie's references to pop culture in her book and her female friendships (in this story, it's sisters), the surprise spy game just seemed odd. This was a cute idea about the lengths we go to make our children's Christmas ov
BarbN
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I spent some time on airplanes over the past week, and I decided to use the time to read Christmas romances, which have been released by the sleigh-full just in time for the holidays. I read at least a dozen (although I confess they were mostly novellas and short stories), and Hot Toy was far and away the best of the lot. Librarian Trudy runs into the guy who dumped her while they are both searching for a Major McGuffin, the toxic-waste spewing hot toy that every kid wants for Christmas that yea ...more
Lady Heather

"A copy of this book has been provided by St. Martin's Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review"

4.5 stars!

This was a short, fun wonderfully written story.

I loved the bantering between Nolan and Trudy. (Wow, does Trudy "sayit like it is" to Nolan for not calling her again after their third date!)

It's Christmas Eve and Trudy finally finds the one toy her nephew wants, and a much sought after toy this holiday season... It also contains secret intelligence codes for the Chinese governmen
Brenda
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a funny story. Here Truddy is trying to buying a MacGuffin to her nephew but will she be lucky in this Christmas?? Nooooo, kidding. Actually Truddy is a smart-ass and has some punchs if anyone try to steal the "hope" of her nephew especially when his father abandon him in this time of year. And Truddy has some experiences of her own father too. Nolan was a cute guy and yeah she thought he was the One but he did not call her back. Can him redeeming himself??

Three is good enough??!!!!!

description
Jonel
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Crusie has created a cute, fun story that puts the chase for the perfect gift in a new light. She cranks up the craziness of the season a few notches while taking readers on a bit of a wild ride. Intrigue meets with humour in a way that had me laughing and gasping. Due to the brief length of the tale, character development is minimal so I really couldn’t connect with them. It doesn’t affect the story much if you’re looking for a quick, light, fluffy read.

This was a fun, cute short story perfect
Monica
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I was kind of torn when it came to this book. At first, I thought it was a cute romantic book about a girl and guy meeting at a toy store looking for the same toy, but sadly I wish it was only about that. Then comes this story of a “spy” looking for some secret spy clues I honestly didn’t get it. I was just utterly confused and not buying this whole storyline. I gave it three stars mainly for the beginning which was the only part I liked. This wasn’t my cup of tea but feel free to give it a try ...more
Issa
Others have called this a hot mess and I think that covers it exactly. I guess it was supposed to be funny but I was mostly confused by the plot, didn't really get the characters, and the ending...huh? I just didn't see the romance. Not what I expect from this author.
Shari
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This review was originally posted on Delighted Reader

Let start off by saying this book is $3.99 for pre-order and it is extremely short! I was in luck to get an advanced copy, but I would never pay this much for how short this story actually is, so you have been warned.

Did I mention how short it is? Well, this is a story about a Trudy Maxwell shopping on Christmas Eve for the very rare action figure, Major MacGuffin with toxic waste for her nephew. Now Trudy's nephew and sister are alone this
Pgchuis
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this from the publisher via NetGalley.

Trudy is in a toy shop on Christmas Eve, trying to buy this year's "hot toy", which has in fact been unavailable since Thanksgiving, for her nephew. This is important because his father, who has run off with his nanny, promised him Santa would bring it for Christmas, but has failed to buy it. While looking, she meets Nolan, who dated and then dumped her, and Reese, a man who recently assisted her father, an emotionally unavailable profe
Tiff's*Addictiontobooks
I accidentally came across this book while searching the Overdrive library. I had no idea that a new Jennifer Crusie book came out. It's been so long since I've read one of her books so I pushed it to the front of my reading list.

The writing was in true Jennifer Crusie style (keeping you on your toes) and as I'm a parent of a child who wanted the "must have toy" for Christmas, I could relate to the story. I kept finding my self slowing down and rereading when I found myself reading fast. I didn'
Ruby Lee
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, christmas-read
This book is featured on One Book Two's Naughty or Nice? list. To view the entire list go to: https://onebooktwo.wordpress.com/2015...

On Ruby’s Naughty List~ Hilarious. That is the first word that comes to mind when thinking about this story. The dialogue was masterfully done, and I found myself laughing out loud at several different parts. The plot of this story caught me off-guard and went in directions that I didn’t even imagine. I am putting this on the naughty list not for the romance (whic
  • Can't Hold Back (Returning Home, #2)
  • Once a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs, #2)
  • Break For Me (Secrets & Shadows, #0.6)
  • Snowflake Wishes (Echo Lake, #0.5)
  • Here in My Heart (Echoes of the Heart, #0.5)
  • Her Rancher Rescuer
  • Menage on 34th Street
  • Betting On The Wrong Brother (What Happens In Vegas, #12)
  • A Season of You (Cloud Bay, #2)
  • Holiday with a Twist
  • The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat, #5)
  • For the Love of Pete
  • The Man Plan
  • Black Widow Demon (Demon Outlaws, #2)
  • Red Hot Holiday
  • Home to You
  • Completely Smitten (Fates #3)
  • Snowdrift and Other Stories
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.