Start by marking “The Grass is Greener” as Want to Read:
The Grass is Greener

The Grass is Greener

From the author of The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots and The Maxwell Sisters comes a captivating novel about best friends, family and fighting for what you want, against all odds.

The grass always seems greener on the other side . . . until you get there.

For generations Bronwyn Eddings's family has thrived in the legal profession and a position at their prestigious firm is her
Published January 4th 2016 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Grass is Greener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grass is Greener

Start your review of The Grass is Greener
Sharon
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bronwyn and Claudia are best friends who are both wanting their lives to be different. They then come up with the idea to swap lives. It sounds straightforward enough, but just how hard can it be to swap jobs and where you live?

Will Bronwyn and Claudia lives turn out to be what they hoped for or could it big the biggest mistake of their lifetimes?

What a delightful book this was to read. Aussie author Loretta Hill has written another entertaining and fun book. This was going to be a four star r
Brenda
Best friends Bronwyn and Claudia were finally catching up in Perth after not seeing each other for over six months. Both had been exceptionally busy; Bronwyn as a lawyer and Claudia running her father Horace’s winery which was struggling after a mixture of family problems. Claudia wanted to be a lawyer and dreamed of having a job like Bronwyn’s – Bronwyn hated her job and wanted to go to the winery, the place she had loved for the last ten years. So the two friends jokingly decided to swap place ...more
PattyMacDotComma
4★ for a cheerful rural romance

Western Australia is a good place to spend some satisfying time with Bronwyn and Claudia, best pals for years, who decide they’d each like different lives.

These bright, young women have both trained in law and are well-qualified to pursue legal careers. Bronwyn is forced into it. She’s the product of highly successful, well-heeled, well-connected parents who treat her pretty much as a trophy child (if there is such a term). So off to a major legal firm she goes.

Cla
marlin1
Bronwyn and Claudia have been best friends since law school but both hate their respective current lifestyles. Claudia is stuck on her family's run down winery after a family tragedy and itches to get back into practising law. Meanwhile Bronwyn, who comes from a long family line of lawyers, hates practising law and trying to live up to the family reputation. She desperately loves Claudia's family and lifestyle after spending many holidays with them.
When Bronwyn loses her job due to a dog called
Jess
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not happy with their lot in life, Bronwyn Edding's* and Claudia Franklin make plans to swap jobs and lifestyles. After all Claudia is more suited to Bronwyn's high flying legal life but is stuck in what she perceives to be a dead end job at the families' failing vineyard; the vineyard that Bronwyn just happens to adore. When the two conspire to simple 'swap' jobs after a particularly bad day they come up with a plan that looks easy, and soon discover life is anything but and the grass is always ...more
Bianca
This has been my first Loretta Hill novel, and I can confidently say it won't be the last.

The Grass is Greener was a total page-turner, I finished it in two seatings.

The main characters, Bronwyn and Claudia, are best friends who find themselves stuck in unwanted situations: Bronwyn is an unhappy lawyer, who's following in her parents' footsteps, despite not being that keen on practicing law. Claudia, on the other hand, would love to be doing exactly what her best friend was, instead she had spe
Anna
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a gift, and it's not my preferred genre which could partly explain why I enjoyed it less than many other readers seem to have done.

I really liked the premise of the plot, but was disappointed with how the book developed. I liked the central romances and found them fairly believable, and I enjoyed some scenes very much. But most of the plot relating to Elsa didn't seem plausible to me, and the eventual resolution seemed rushed and not in line with the rest of the book. I
Jenny
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Grass is Greener is a book about dreams, love and being yourself. Claudia Franklin and Bronwyn Eddings were working jobs they did not want to do due to family pressures. However, one day, both girls hatch a plan which will allow then to swap places. Claudia took Bronwyn place at her family law firm, and Bronwyn went to help Claudia family at Oak Hill Winery. The readers of The Grass is Greener will continue to follow Claudia and Bronwyn to find out if both girls followed their dreams,

The Gra
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Grass is Greener is Loretta Hill's fifth contemporary novel and like the last, The Maxwell Sisters, this novel is also set largely among the vineyards in the fertile southern region of Western Australia.

"The long and short of it is....Bronwyn needed a sabbatical from the law, so she left town to work on my family's vineyard. I wanted to get back into law so I marched in and took her job....It was a great plan from both of our perspectives and it would have been perfect-..."

Succumbing to fami
Simone
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2016
Almost everybody can relate to a "grass is greener" moment or two in their lives. It seems that it is part of being human to feel envy towards a friend, relative or even stranger who has or is doing something that we want to do. In this aptly titled book best friends Bronwyn and Claudia are facing that exact dilemma. Bronwyn has a position at a prestigious law firm and a great apartment in Perth but has no passion for her career. Instead she yearns to be at her best friend Claudia's family viney ...more
Warren Gossett
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful. This is the fifth novel by Loretta Hill I have read since being given one by chance. This novel is charming like the others, with even more crime, law, and humour. The Grass is Greener is set in Perth where I live. And I also worked at the University of Western Australia Civil Engineering Department as a computer programmer in the 1990's. Probably just before Loretta Hill graduated from there as an engineer. It is deeply enjoyable how she uses the setting of Perth (as well as WA and ...more
Helen
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Hill herself states, this is a book about starting again and that the adage of, 'the grass is always greener on the other side' has some flaws in it. She states in her conclusion that true happiness comes from being our best selves and not from somewhere or someone else.

"The truth is, it was never about swapping our lives exactly. It was always about making the most of our own."

So you can see, if you dig a little deeper into this book you will find that The Grass is Greener has it all. Easy
Letitia
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Random House should be embarrassed. This book did not appear to be edited or proofread. There were so many errors and missing words, it was almost laughable. About halfway through the cheesiness got to me, and I had to set it aside. After running out of other things to read, I finally came back to it. Not that I needed to read any more to know what was going to happen. You can pretty well work out the whole story in the first two chapters. Boring, cheesy, predictable, and appalling editing.
Janine
Another great read by Loretta Hill. I have enjoyed all of her books and it is nice to feature rural WA and intelligent young women.
A Reader's Heaven

The grass always seems greener on the other side . . . until you get there.
For generations Bronwyn Stevenson's family has thrived in the legal profession and a position at their prestigious firm is hers by right. Only problem is: she does not want it. Her best friend Claudia has always dreamed of being a lawyer, but tragedy struck and she took up the reins of her father's vineyard instead. It was supposed to
Vicki Robe
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is about two friends who weren't happy with their own lives and decided to swap places with each other when the opportunity arose.

Both Bronwyn and Claudia had ties in their life that stopped them from doing what they wanted, and against all odds it just so happened that they were happy with each others careers and lives.

There was much more to the story and along with the other characters made this a very interesting read.

I am actually disappointed that I have no more Loretta Hill book
Samantha Hamer
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m glad I borrowed it from the library! Having read another Loretta Hill book based in a mining community that I enjoyed I thought I would love this book partly set in a family vineyard. Unfortunately by focusing on two main characters rather than one, the story was just stretched too thin. Some things were described in graphic detail ie a dog giving birth whereas the relationships the two main characters found themselves in needed to be explored more. A little ridiculous towards the end.
Fiona
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice storyline - thought it was too slow to move when I started reading but the second half was a lot better and had a great ending. All characters are likeable and being set in Australia is a bonus!
Tracey
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I like this author, she writes fun romances but I think she did herself a disservice with this one. It could have easily been 2 individual novels, but as one novel it felt a bit rushed at the end. It was like she’d reached the end of the word count and had to “wrap it up”
Carol-anne Bradley
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
So predictable and the editing was so bad it detracted from the read!
Alison Hydes
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book set in rural Australia.
Christine
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another engaging read from Loretta Hill. I enjoy the Australian content .
Housebythewater
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Not up to the standard of A Secret Vineyard, but still any relaxing holiday read.
Juanita
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I am really liking this author. Quick enjoyable reads.
Yolanda Thompson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. Being Australian myself I did really enjoy the Australian setting. Found the characters likeable.
Suzanne
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Life swapping seems like a great idea sometimes even from where I stand. Not sure I could have coped with the situation as well as Bronwyn and Claudia though. Best friends forever who take it to the edge when they swapped lives. Ultimately a novel of living life to the full, no going on initial perceptions and not feeling hemmed in by family expectations or desires to control the lifestyle of youth.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
The stunning vineyards of my home of my home state of Western Australia’s southern region is showcased perfectly by West Australian author Loretta Hill in her fifth novel, The Grass is Greener. Not only does Hill excel in capturing the essence of the business of winemaking, she also cleverly explores the notion of two characters undergoing a complete life swap to discover if the grass is truly greener on the other side. A fun and romantic contemporary tale, The Grass is Greener introduces the re ...more
Michelle
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the story of best friends - Bronwyn and Claudia who think the grass is greener in each other's lives and want to swap places.

Bronwyn is from a high profile legal family and is a lawyer in a Perth city law firm while Claudia who's also a lawyer has spent the last few years helping her family run a vineyard down south in Yallingup, Western Australia.

The girls swap places and Claudia moves into Bronwyn's city apartment and starts work in her dream job and kicks off an office romance. Meanwh
Cai
Bronwyn Eddings doesn’t enjoy being a lawyer. She misses the beautiful Oak Hills Winery in Yallingup. Her best friend Claudia Franklin doesn’t want to run Oak Hills Winery. She misses practicing law. After an incident at work, Bronwyn decides that the best solution for both her and Claudia is to swap lives. It sounds easy enough but trouble follows with a former client of Bronwyn’s. On top of that there is unresolved issues with Jack Franklin and serious attraction to Claudia’s new boss.

The Gras
Diem
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
3.5

Loretta Hill has once again cemented her position as one of the authors I will happily return to with a cup of tea nearby. Hill’s writing is easy and familiar as well as completely charming.

In ‘The Grass is Greener’, readers see two different love stories play out. I preferred Claudia and Seb’s blossoming relationship over that of Bronwyn and Jack’s.

Claudia and Seb’s relationship had all the romance tropes that are my catnip. Seb is a bit of a ‘love them and leave them’ type and has quite a
Goodreads Librari...: another book filed under "T" for "The" 3 191 Oct 19, 2016 04:26AM

• Something to Talk About
  • The Model Wife
  • Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • Charlotte Pass
  • Sisters and Brothers
  • Until I Met Her (Emma Fern, #1)
  • Without a Doubt (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • The Bad Mother