Start by marking “Witch Is When It All Began (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witch Is When It All Began (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #1)

Witch Is When It All Began

(A Witch P.I. Mystery #1)

When the going gets tough...

Private investigator, Jill Gooder, has been hired to find a serial killer because, as usual, the police can't buy a clue. Jill, the not so proud owner of a crazy, one-eyed cat, probably can't expect too much help from her PA/Secretary, Mrs V, who spends all day knitting.

And just in case all of that wasn't bad enough, Jill's just about to
Published August 24th 2015 by Implode Publishing Ltd

Start your review of Witch Is When It All Began (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #1)
Ian
I'm not really sure what you would call this particular sub-genre. I guess 'cute, quirky mysteries with a female sleuth who also happens to be a witch'. So when it comes to CQMWAFSWAHTBAW (err...that's the sub-genre) I'm usually a little disappointed.

Honestly the CQMWAFSWAHTBAW books are a little like Fords. They're unreliable, they generally don't make sense, and it doesn't matter if you're driving a 1971 Ford Pinto, a 1990 Ford Explorer or a 2016 Ford Mustang you'll end up frustrated.

But Ford
Belinda
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars - Free Ebook- I have dyslexia - That was the understatement of the decade. Mrs. V and Winky did not see eye-to-eye, and that had nothing to do with his defiency in the ocular departement. -
Jill Gooder who is a P.I., a trade she learnt from her father, is adopted and has a sister Kathy who is married and has two kids. As a client asks her to look into the murder of his girlfriend, he mentioned that it is possible that their are two other murders connected to the murder of his
Deb✨
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on audible books and the narrator made it quirky and fun to listen to. She had a british accent and just the way she told it, and the predicaments she was in at times made me laugh, which felt good. Fun read. ...more
Siobhan (tigress5cubs)
Nov 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was always told to start any critique with something positive, so... I'm positive I don't like this book.

Let me try again. I got this book for $.99. I'm happy I didn't pay more.

Okay, I'll try yet again. The premise is good. I like the basic storyline of a woman finding out she's a witch and having to meld that with her human life while keeping it a secret from her sister. That's about all I can say on the positive side. Oh no, maybe this, too..... I like Winky. Hate that she leaves him alone
Zyra
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
cute, light & funny read. kept me curious till the end.
Kat
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take your average British sitcom and mix in the paranormal and you have this series. It's cute, quirky, original, and just a lot of fun to read, especially if you're a lover of British humor. The author also loves wordplay, though, word to the wise, some of it only works with regional British accents and/or knowledge of British slang, so if you feel like you just missed a joke, chances are you probably did. It took me a while for some of them.

These books are being pedaled as mysteries, and they
MichelleG
Lighthearted witchy mystery

This is such a cute little mystery story. The story is about Jill Gooder, a private investigator and budding witch, and the story follows her journey from learning she is a witch to solving the apparently unsolvable case of 3 murdered women.

The mystery itself is a cute, light hearted effort so it would be a great book to break into the genre. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered so there is lots of room and material to follow up with in the follow on books. There
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
DNF @ 30%

I'm trying to not torture myself with books I'm not enjoying anymore. It's difficult. I don't think this is particularly bad it's just very silly and the writing is a little odd. I do like the premise but I just can't get into it. I tried to stick it out for Winky the cat but I just can't!

I wonder would I still love Sabrina the Teenage Witch now?
Meg
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an easy, light read. Not deep but that's fine as I needed that at the moment. Needed a little editing for commas, etc., but nothing terrible. I had already downloaded the second in the series sometime back and look forward to seeing what direction the story takes.
Christine
It's not the best thing I've read. There is a bit more telling that showing. The only reason why I ma giving it three stars instead of two is Jill is a pretty good character. She knows her flaws and her hang ups and doesn't really feel guilty about them.
Trish
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first England-based paranormal cozy I've read in a while, except for the Aunt Dimity series. Written in a light, entertaining style, with more than a few fourth-wall breaks. Likeable characters, a very sarky cat, and a fun take on magic. A little bit too obsessed with custard creams, though...
Dawn Frazier
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved everything about this book!!!
Jilrene
Better than ok. Not by much, though. This is another paranormal cozy mystery series. The mystery is not that complicated. Jill getting her magic and learning spells was entertaining. Many of the side characters have distinct personalities.

It's a decent fluff piece and the first in a series. There are 32 novelas in the series so far. Based on reviews of the last 5 books, most of the people who stick with it are diehard fans.
Kayla Sheppard
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was amazing y’all! It reminded me of the Halloween Town movies with a murder mystery
JoLene
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not sure if paranormal cozy mystery is a new-ish genre, but this falls into that category. Jill is a PI in a small town in England. She learned the business for her adoptive father. Just as she’s ready to start a new case which involves a potential serial killer, she gets a call that her biological mother wants to see her. She was abandoned as a baby so this was a surprise, but even more surprising was the news that her mother passed on about her heritage.

Most of this book was focused on the
a.
Jan 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
Arnaud
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun story and characters

Super surprised at how fast I read this one :-) I was into the story in a heartbeat. Fun writing style, quirky main character just the way I like them and a decent enough plot. Kudos to the originality of having a P.I. and a witch in one character. It makes for a great beginning. Also enjoyed the fact that the author doesn't end the story at just solving the main mystery, but rather keeps going with the main character's life events. Simple and efficient, I'm hooked :D
April
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was just Ok for me. I felt the solving of the murders was to easy for her considering she didn't spend much time collecting evidence. There are some funny moments but not enough for a higher star rating from me.
Maggie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Paranormal Cozy Mystery, not as silly as many. Cozies are sweet, fluff little reads. This fits the simple escape bill. I’ll read the next in the series. Do appreciate that it is a stand alone story and not yet another Kindle Unlimited serial.
Audrey
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute, light and easy. Great filler between heavier reading.
Payal
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, humour
Considering it started with a serial killer, it was rather boring and slow. The murders weren't the central focus at all. However, the witch business wasn't much of a focus either. It seemed as if the author was more hung up on tidy places and spilled crumbs. It wasn't awful but not worth a read either.
Julie Peffley
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. There are a bunch of really quirky characters and a bit of a mystery. When a private investigator finds out that she is a witch, well, you can imagine the things that might happen. Don't read this if you are looking for a great mystery and some dark and scary paranormal activity, but do read it if you'd like a nice quick read with a few laugh-out-loud moments.
Karen Barber
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This is like Angela Lansbury crossed with Bewitched...a 'cosy' mystery where someone solves a crime without seeming to do anything, while the actual police bumble around seemingly missing obvious things. This all takes place against a backdrop of our main character learning she's a witch and finding out how to cast spells.
There's nothing very dramatic here. The main character is likeable enough, but her inability to move on from the past was frustrating and her chatting with a one-eyed psychotic
L.A.L.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall, an easy, fluff read. It started out slow, it gained a bit of speed, but generally failed. Too many holes and too much jumping about.

Jill was an okay protagonist, a bit annoying at times and a bit wishy-washy. One minute she's dead set against being a witch, and then the next she's completely accepted it. One minute she hates her birth mother and the next she's completely accepted her (view spoiler). And her OCD is a bit much. Jack Maxwell is mentioned a lot,
Lacey
Star Rating: 1.5 Stars

Trying to maintain her private investigating business, Jill Gooder, takes on her largest case ever when she gets hired by a bereaved loved one to find the serial killer responsible for their fiances death. To top off her already enormous workload Jill finds out that biologically she's a witch and in danger of being targeted by an evil being known as the 'Dark One'. With her new book of spells, Jill sets out to find a killer and learn all about her new heritage in one fell
Tria
Obtained via Kindle Unlimited, and I'm glad I didn't strictly pay for it. Given a finished date as I read a fair bit of it, but it's going on my DNF pile. I'm too bored by the mediocre plot and irritated by the slapdash and hopelessly ungrammatical writing style to waste more time on trying to complete it. I have far too many books on my TBR list to waste time with reading something I feel reluctant to revisit.

1.5 stars.
Julie Hillman
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable read

Well written with fun, believable characters. A dry sense of humour mixed with a murder mystery gives you Jill Gooder PI. Recently finding out she is a witch she reluctantly meets the other side of her family. Winky the one eyed cat and Barry the dog also become part of her OCD life. Will the handsome Police Detective? Fun cosy that is definitely worth the read.
Tony Hisgett
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually enjoyed this book, but I don’t know why. Normally I would hate this book, the main character Jill is irritating, the mystery is almost none existent and the paranormal aspects are so ‘cozy’ its almost nauseating. BUT! I kept reading and at the end of the book my first thought was where can I get the next one in the series.
Vered
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a cute start to a series about a witch who doesn't know she is one, and her struggles to make it as a detective. While the writing could be polished up a bit, it still flowed smoothly. If you like cozy witch mysteries, this is worth picking up.
Chloe
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Play Book Tag: Witch Is When It All Began/Adele Abbott - 3 stars 2 12 Mar 07, 2018 12:45PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #48 - Witch is When it All Began 1 2 Mar 22, 2017 12:13PM

• Witchy Business (Witches of Shadow Lane #1)
  • Spells & Shelves (Library Witch Mystery #1)
  • Doom and Broom (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 2)
  • If the Broom Fits (Wicked Witches of Coventry, #1)
  • Witchy Orders (Witches of Shadow Lane #2)
  • Grits in the Graveyard (Witch Hazel Lane Mysteries Book 1)
  • Broom and Gloom (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 8)
  • Payback's a Witch (Blackwood Bay Witches #5)
  • Over the Broom (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 9)
  • Deadly Spells and a Southern Belle (Southern Belles and Spells Matchmaker Mystery, #1)
  • Back to Spell One (Western Woods Mystery #1)
  • Three Alarm Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic Cozy Mystery #6)
  • Haunted and Hexed (Blackwood Bay Witches #1)
  • Broom and Board (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 7)
  • Broomsticks and Bones (Blackwood Bay Witches #4)
  • Witchy Secrets (Witches of Shadow Lane #3)
  • Magic & Mishaps (Starry Hollow Witches #9)
  • Witch in Progress (A Blair Wilkes Mystery #1)
Adele Abbott's world is full of mystery, magic and a whole lot of crazy. Come join in the fun.
Web site: http://www.AdeleAbbott.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AdeleAbbottA...

A Witch P.I. Mystery (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Witch Is When Life Got Complicated (A Witch P.I. Mystery #2)
  • Witch Is When Everything Went Crazy (A Witch P.I. Mystery #3)
  • Witch Is When Things Fell Apart (A Witch P.I. Mystery #4)
  • Witch is When The Bubble Burst (A Witch P.I. Mystery #5)
  • Witch is When The Penny Dropped (A Witch P.I. Mystery #6)
  • Witch Is When The Floodgates Opened (A Witch P.I. Mystery #7)
  • Witch Is When The Hammer Fell (A Witch P.I. Mystery #8)
  • Witch is When My Heart Broke (A Witch P.I. Mystery #9)
  • Witch is When I Said Goodbye (A Witch P.I. Mystery #10)
  • Witch is When Stuff Got Serious (A Witch P.I. Mystery #11)
“According to her, I didn’t have an ounce of tact. That simply wasn’t true. It wasn’t my fault that they were all incompetent asshats. “Are” 6 likes
“Detective Maxwell?” Kathy said. “Why so formal? His name’s Jack isn’t it? Jack and Jill. You two were obviously meant for one another. Come on Jill. Why don’t you go up the hill to see Jack?” Kathy broke into her high-pitched squeal of a laugh, just as she did every time she made the same stupid joke.” 0 likes