Start by marking “The Friends We Keep (Mischief Bay, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Friends We Keep (Mischief Bay, #2)

The Friends We Keep

(Mischief Bay #2)

In this insightful and compelling story from book club favorite Susan Mallery, three close friends test the boundaries of how much a woman can give before she has nothing left.

After five years as a stay-at-home mom, Gabby Schaefer can't wait to return to work. Oh, to use the bathroom in peace! No twins clamoring at the door, no husband barging in, no stepdaughter throwing
Published February 23rd 2016 by Mira
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Friends We Keep, please sign up.
Karen The books do not need to be read in order but, binging on them would have been fun.

Obsidian
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I previously read the first book in this new series by Susan Mallery. I picked up book number two to see if there is enough going on that is going to make me want to continue with this. Based on this, I would say yes I probably am going to buy book #3 (if there is one). I would suggest that maybe the next book can focus on just one or possibly two people. I have noticed that when it's more than that, that not all story-lines are equal.

The Friends We Keep has three friends, Gabby, Hayley (ment
Danielle
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read this because it was the follow-up to The Girls of Mischief Bay. I had a hard time with that one because it was so poorly edited. This was even worse! I find it to be lazy to put out a book with blatant errors in it. Even if we take my thoughts on the editing out of the equation, I still didn't like this book. The characters are one-dimensional, whiny, and irritating. They are self-absorbed, and the friendships between the women never really rang true for me. I will not be giving this auth ...more
Alissa Patrick
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
So boring I wanted to throw the book at the wall numerous times.
Susan
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good follow on to The Girls of Mischief Bay. Nicole was a major character in that book, with Hayley and Gabby being secondary ones. Now all three are facing new challenges in their lives and having good friends like each other is vital to getting through their days.

Nicole is adjusting to being a divorced single mother. It isn't as hard as she thought it would be, because Eric had left the marriage well before the divorce. She is still frustrated by Eric's lack of interest in being a father to th
Jonel
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This novel was written with the charm, flair and realism I’ve come to love from this author. Mallery invites us into this pocket of LA with a fantastic small town feel for an emotionally enriching novel that I couldn’t put down. I love the way that she develops this intimate story, weaving the lives of her many characters together, creating a community feel that I thoroughly loved.

I love the intimate look we get at the lives of the women that Mallery has created. I also appreciated the different
Kirsten
Susan Mallery's books are always honest portrayals of real women with real problems, albeit with the slightly unreal fact that they end well.

This book is no different. Divorce, infertility, teenage pregnancy are the problems in this book. A nice enjoyable read.
Linda
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
We join three friends who are all at somewhat of a crossroads in their lives. Gabby's twins are ready to start school and she feels more than ready to go back to work. Hayley desperately wants to have a baby but her body is not cooperating. Nicole is somewhat surprised that she has gotten over her divorce so quickly with a minimum of fuss. But, as always life throws some curves their way and they each must figure out what is really important to them and rely on each other for help and support.

Th
Darcy
I really like stories of women's friendship, so was looking forward to this one. I found myself slightly surprised by being so angry at some of the characters.

The first was Andrew and Gabby. It sort of seemed like they were living a charmed life on the surface. It was only as things were revealed you saw that while Andrew was a good guy, he kept slighting Gabby in little ways. It wasn't until the drama with the stepdaughter came up that I wanted to slap Andrew. He was so out of line to expect G
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This is one of those books I probably should have waited to read. Today was one of those slow days and it made the book feel that way too. Maybe one day I'll re-check it out and try again.
Kathryn
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three friends - three journeys, where will it lead each of them? Susan Mallery again managed to capture my attention as I delighted in The Friends We Keep. These kinds of books of hers are the ones I love the most. They delve into issues that could happen to anyone and take the women through the ups and downs as they learn and grow through them.

Nicole we met in the first Mischief Bay book, and so I was eager to find out where she was now. We find her divorced and managing really well with her so
Rachel
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I did find myself wishing throughout the book that I had read this series in sequence though; there were a lot of references to what I assume to be people and events in prior books. The story was really great though. Basically, it's about three girlfriends and their struggles in their daily lives. Gabby has a step-daughter who is pregnant, Nicole is dealing with a very non-present ex-husband who wants nothing to do with their son all while she meets a gorgeous hunk of ...more
L.J. Epps
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always like Susan Mallery's books. This one didn't disappoint. I like the three different relationships going on in the novel. I also liked how the three women confide in their friends about what's going on in their lives. In these type of books you always know the outcome will mostly end up happy but I like to see the struggles they go through to get there.
Carrie
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not my usual fare, but I really enjoy Mallory's work. This story of three friends who all have hit upon something in her life that will change it forever. The women were all fully realized and had very strong stories, and the line of friendship was strong throughout.
Jill Robbertze
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A delightful contemporary story about the lives of 3 women - their lives, loves, dramas and family. A little predictable but a sweet easy read which I really needed after reading some gut-wrenching non-fiction books. I give this one 3.5 Stars.
Angela
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Susan is well known (and loved) for her Fool's Gold series--which is phenomenal if you haven't read any of them yet. Now, she's traveled to a new town called Mischief Bay. Unlike the Fool's Gold books, this series focuses on more than one couple per book. And quite honestly is more women's lit than romance, though there is quite a bit of focus on each woman's romantic life. However, these books contain so much more! There are friendships and family. Romance and relationships between siblings, pa ...more
BJ
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent followup in the Mischief Bay series. Nicole, Hayley and Gabby continue their friendship and their tumultuous lives. Nicole, whose husband, in the first book, quit his job to write a screenplay without consulting her until after the fact, continues to grapple with the fallout from her marriage, raising her son alone and her first forays into the dating world post-divorce. Gabby deals with her 5-year-old twins, her husband and stepdaughter, and the ex-wife, as well as going b ...more
Babydimps (Suzy)
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Again, 3.5 - just like the rating I gave for the first book. In the first book, Pam was the whiny, annoying character. In the second book, it's Nicole. SIGH. The whole "woe is me" attitude towards dating, falling in love and scared about getting back into the dating scene just made me want to smack her! It was a bit over the top. I still like the story though and look forward to the next book.
Teresa
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
~ 2.5 Stars ~ I enjoy Susan Mallery's Fool's Gold Series; however, I just do not care for the Mischief Bay characters and books. The characters seem self-centered, selfish, and unlikable. I'm sorry to say that I would not recommend them.
Jane Thomson
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Like many of the reviewers, I had mixed feelings about this novel. The characters intrigued me when I read the summary on the back cover, but I almost gave up after the first 50 pages. I was most disturbed by the actions of Hayley. She seemed not to mature as her difficulties increased and reality dictated a more reasonable response. While the reader feels sympathy for the young woman, the fact that she does not seek counselling regarding her fears makes the story less believable. Gabby, on the ...more
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Challenges:
♥ RRRC May 2018 Monthly Challenge #6. May 4th - Star Wars Day
♥ RRRC: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Quarterly Challenge:#27. Opal: Read a book with at least five colors on the cover or a fiery romance.
Notserp2002
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book. i felt like i knew the 3 main characters.
Monique Pearson
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a person who cannot have children this book truly touched me. I cried many times, but in the end the outcome was perfect. I'm looking forward to book 3.
Conney
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read! The character development throughout the book was impressive as well as very believable. The three main characters and their story lines are well written and relatable.
Michelle
This was interesting, but not as expected.
Christina
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I loved the Hayley story. You were introduced to her in the first Mischief Bay book. She has this full arc- wanting to have a baby, desperately wanting to have a baby, the break of a hysterectomy officially ending that dream and then learning that families take shape in different ways was surprisingly beautiful to me especially because I just thought she was horribly selfish for the first part of the book. Gabby being excited to get back to work after staying home with her twins only to learn in ...more
Dawn
For Gabby, Hayley and Nicole, life in Mischief Bay is calm, peaceful and one full of wonderful friends and family. Gabby is looking forward to returning to the workforce, Hayley is recovering from yet another miscarriage and Nicole is still reeling from her divorce. But as these three find out, life can turn on a dime and it will forge the strongest of bonds between these two as they navigate the changes ahead.

I absolutely adored the first book in the Mischief Bay series and couldn’t wait to get
Brenda
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The friends of Mischief Bay kept me company as I listened to this audio book on my commute. 10 minutes here and there can add up :) Off to the library to choose my next audio book tomorrow!
Alison Smith
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. I thought it was cute and heart warming and my favorite character would be Gabby cuz she's so understanding
Denise
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining summer beach read about three friends. Many issues ( examples.... divorce, adoption, sibling relationships, infertility to name a few) are presented in this novel. Susan Mallery cleverly solves the issues presented. 3 stars for the book but 5 stars for great friendships.
  • The Last Chance Matinee (The Hudson Sisters #1)
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • The Summer That Made Us
  • The Summertime Girls
  • Teardrop Lane (Eternity Springs, #9)
  • Siren's Song (Bewitching Bedlam, #3)
  • No River Too Wide (Goddesses Anonymous #3)
  • The Christmas Bouquet (Chesapeake Shores, #11)
  • Once Upon a Highland Summer
  • Herons Landing (Honeymoon Harbor, #1)
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Can't Fight This Feeling (Cabin Fever, #3)
  • Widow's Tale
  • The Lone Rancher
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. Bel ...more

Mischief Bay (4 books)
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • A Million Little Things (Mischief Bay, #3)
  • Sisters Like Us (Mischief Bay, #4)
“Hi,” she managed to answer, then told herself she had to let go of the door handle. At some point he would be expecting her to walk into the restaurant with him and wouldn’t that be awkward with her dragging a car behind? Jairus” 1 likes