Start by marking “Mr. Particular: The World’s Choosiest Champion!” as Want to Read:
Mr. Particular: The World’s Choosiest Champion!

Mr. Particular: The World’s Choosiest Champion!

Meet Mr. Particular—the world’s choosiest champion! This superhero’s super picky: he says NO to squishy mud, gross green things, tucked-in shirts, humming, and anything with coconut. But, when his friends in the “Super-Duper Group” finally get fed up with his fussiness, can Mr. Particular prove that even the super-squeamish can save the day?
Published May 10th 2016 by Sterling Children's Books

Virginia
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much kid-appealing fun in this comic-book/graphic novel picture book! My son isn't particularly particular about food, sand or colors, but he IS particular about books and thought the author got this one just right. Children who like LOL humor will get a kick out of MR. PARTICULAR and can move on to CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS as they get older.
Alisa
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great story about a boy who's pickiness causes him problems with the other children. Mr. Particular dislikes a lot of things; things like mud, green things, the smell of coconut, humming and having his shirt tucked in. These differences make him feel like he's not a part of the other heroes/kids. By the end of the book though he's able to show that he too can be a success.

The story is told in a fun graphic novel style but in a large hard back book making it easy for little hands to ho
Beth
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Fans of Babymouse and Squish, the perpetual comic book underdogs, will enjoy this story of a young superhero who might be a little too finicky to be part of his friends' superhero squad.
Vera Godley
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightfully cute, cartoon style book that kids will really get a kick out of.

Mr. Particular just likes things just so and no mess and no muddle and certain types of food are off limits. In short, he is particular. He is finicky. He is set in having things look, feel, and done a certain way - his way.
description
He is the epitome of every little boy in that he is a caped super hero. This super hero is not a giant of a muscled man. No he is a kid. A boy. A dreaming-visions, strong-minded, little bo
Karen
Oh my! What a fun graphic novel to use to introduce students to this amazing format. It is a picture book size which allows for easier access to better see the nuances of writing in this fun format.
The alliteration is hysterical, and the best part is the kids who are superheroes are working with names that describe something not wonderful about them.
I have been sharing this book with many classrooms recently, and the laugh-out-loud factor at the word play of names and dialogue is so fun!
There
Danielle
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The narration and dialogue are both really hilarious.

Favorite lines:
"Look! Up in the sky!"
"It's a nerd!"
"It's a complainer!"
"No... it's Mr. Particular!"
Nancy
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The illustrations were so fun and humorous. I loved the pictures of the children playing super hero. It was put together like a graphic novel. Mr. Particular had to have everything his own way, as he and his friends played super hero. His friends kicked him out of their group, because he always closed down when it was time to save the day. It took a friend getting into trouble, to get him out of his particular ways.
Cheryl
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The kids in the neighborhood play superhero, but one boy has very particular rules about how things should be and how things should not be. He tried to be easy going, but couldn't do it. This gets in the way of playing and drives his friends crazy. He was left alone to play in his room. But when Mr. Particular spied one of his friends in actual trouble he's finally able to put aside his pickiness and fussiness and come to the rescue. Told in comic book style, which adds to all the fun.
Taylor Bond
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gabby Settembre
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Particular is about a young boy who thinks eating ketchup gives him superpowers. He is very particular in about a lot of things such as the color green and mushy things. He has a friend group of other superheros that meet in a treehouse and solve crimes together, until one day when his friends tell him he is too particular and that it is a problem so they let him go. He then tries to fix his particular issues so he is not stuck with his baby brother all summer. He only conquers his fears whe ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr. Particular is very picky, about everything. I thought this book would just be about eating, which is why I borrowed it from the library for Christopher. But the boy in this story is particular about the way he plays and everything. It's a comic book, super hero style story. And it's really cute. The boy's friends don't want to play with him anymore because of how picky he is, but when he learns to be flexible, they're happy to welcome him back.

Megan Robbins
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kristin
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr. Particular is a very picky superhero. He doesn't like squishy things, or humming, or anything that is green. His friends don't seem to understand his quirks, so he works on overcoming them, but can he? Should he? This might be a great picture book for kids who are picky, or simply sensitive to certain textures and sounds. I didn't give it five stars as I felt the design of the pages were confusing to read. Sometimes you read left to right, up and down like a normal book, but other times you ...more
Jen
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jana
This book is a fun graphic novel style picture book about a little boy that is just too fussy. All of his peculiar hang-ups about squishy things, and green things, and humming, and a bunch of other irritants get in the way of the fun his friends want to have. So, they ditch him for another playmate. Finally he gets a chance to step up and rescue one of his friends when he really needs help. I love the social message this sends to picky kids. I'd like to get a copy of this in my classroom library ...more
Lyn
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute little children's book, written in the comic book style, which makes it more interesting, in my opinion. Children could have tons of fun with the inside covers alone, which are filled with ordinary items, with fun names and descriptions. It's got tons of different fonts to convey different feelings, plus it's just a superhero-type book that probably nearly every child could relate to. My copy also came with a tote bag with a picture of Mr. Particular on it, which I love.
Note: I received t
Kate Hastings
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Grades PK-2. Mr Particular is very picky about things being a certain way--nothing slimy. no humming noises, no coconut. All these particulars are holding him back from being a true superhero and he is booted from the club. Just when it looks like he'll have to spend the rest of the summer with his baby brother Super Pooper-- he manages to work through his issues. Cute comic-book illustrations and spoof of superheroes.
Chelsea
Unfortunately, I was not a fan of this book. I did appreciate that Mr. Particular was very particular, but that when a friend was in trouble, he was there to help; even though something squishy was between him and helping his friend. Also, while I enjoyed how the setup of this book reminded me of a comic book, I felt like there was so much going on throughout the book that it was challenging to focus on particular pages. This was not a bad story, it just was not my cup of tea.
Miss Sarah
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book made me laugh out loud. A comic book style picture book about a young child who is very fussy and wants things his way but his other superhero friends are tired of his pickiness. Can he get over his way and adapt to theirs? Preschool and up for humor.
Henry
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My two boys (3 and 5) absolutely love this book. It's a great combination of humor, action, and a little lesson for those who may be...picky. The illustrations are excellent, and it's become a frequent bedtime read aloud.
Mary Robinson
I SHARED THIS BOOK WITH MY 9 YEAR OLD GRANDSON. HE REALLY LOVED THIS STORY. HE ALSO LOVED THE BOOK BAG THAT WAS GIVEN WITH THIS SO HE COULD PUT HIS BOOKS AND TOYS TOGETHER.I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS DELIGHTFUL!
Juliana Lee
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Particularly fun! Love Mr. Particular's picky ways. Even when his friends decided to abandon him and his choosy manners, he goes out of his way to overcome his angst to rescue his friend. Now he's everyone hero!
Christine
May 17, 2016 added it
Shelves: superhero
How will Mr. Particular become easy-going enough to regain membership in the Super-Duper Group? Not exactly sure what the moral of the story is meant to be, but situations aren't overly intimidating for a little one intrigued by superheroes. Non-violent!
:Donna Marie
MR. PARTICULAR If you know anyone who tends to be a bit finicky (don't we all?!), THIS is the book for you--and them! Jason Kirschner nails the "particular" personality and it turns out--it's not all that bad :D Mr. Particular is particularly perfect!
Ariel
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not surprised my picky eater son loved reading about a superhero with very particular tastes! Told in comic book style, MR. PARTICULAR is a very fun read aloud. The humor holds up after multiple readings, which is good as my youngest asks for it again and again!
Deb
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This book is adorable. It has beautiful illustrations and the story is perfect for sharing with that picky superhero in your life. I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway book and am very pleased to add it to my collection.
Lisa Boyd
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2016
I like the way that this book paid homage to old comic book styles.
kim
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, kids, 2016
cute for older kids
Kristina
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my boys loved this book. then again they love all super hero stuff. it was a different story but likeable. I would recommend this book to others.
Kelly
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book with graphic novel setup for kids who like to be heroes in real life

• Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend
  • Nope
  • A Friend for Mole
  • Something Extraordinary
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • Game Over, Super Rabbit Boy! (Press Start! #1)
  • Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard
  • The Water Princess
  • The Typewriter
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »