Start by marking “Teeny Tiny Toady” as Want to Read:
Teeny Tiny Toady

Teeny Tiny Toady

When a giant hand scoops up her mama and puts her in a pail, a terrified tiny toad named Teeny hops faster than she ever did in her life. "Mama’s stuck inside a bucket! Help me get her out!” she begs her big, clumsy brothers. “Don’t you worry, kid. We’ll save her!” they promise, bumbling and stumbling and jumbling out the door. But as the boys rush headlong to the rescue, ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Sterling Children's Books

Start your review of Teeny Tiny Toady
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=9681

I should be honest that frogs and toads are one of my least favorite animals. However, that did not keep me from loving this book! So much is truly superb about this book including the onomatopoeias throughout, the way the words hop like toads all over the page, and the joyousness of these toads’ family. I also particularly enjoyed the theme of this book–it definitely shows how you shouldn’t underestimate people especially
Victoria
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced read-aloud that kids will love. A heartwarming tale about a very tiny toad who wants to save her mother from danger.

Another victory for brains over brawn! Favorite scene - the seven BIG, strong toad brothers pumping iron, eating flies, and washing their hair.
Ricki
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I should be honest that frogs and toads are my favorite animal. I love everything about them! Reading this book was such a joy. I loved how the words danced across the page. If you look at the image below, you will see the way the words pop. The toads are personified in a way that makes me smile. They high five, cheer, hold each other up, etc. Teeny may be little, but she is fierce. It takes her some time to realize that she has valuable ideas. I enjoy teaching my son to be critical of gender as ...more
Jana
Young readers will definitely be able to relate to this adorable picture book, especially those who feel like older people don't listen to them or take them seriously. Teeny's mother was captured and trapped in a bucket. Seven brothers made several rescue attempts, but wound up trapped in the bucket themselves. It was all up to Teeny to rescue them all by herself. The detailed illustrations really help tell this story of courage and ingenuity on the part of the smallest member of the Toady ...more
Samantha
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It doesn't take the biggest or the strongest toad to save the day, but it does take one that's clever and has lots of heart. Teeny runs to get her brothers to help save their mother when she is scooped up and put into a pail. When her brothers fall into the pail, Teeny devises a plan that saves them all.

Great read aloud text that has a lot of rhythm and rhyme to it. Digital artwork is lush and reminds me of a Disney movie in the best way.

PreK-2.
Diane
Teeny runs to her seven bigger brothers for help when their mother is captured by humans. But their brawn isn't enough and they won't listen to Teeny's ideas ... and suddenly, all seven of them are in the bucket, as well. It is Teeny, who must use her ideas to help save the day. "An idea fluttered deep inside her warty little head till she chased it round and pinned it down. I've got it! Teeny said."

A simple story with a powerful message.
Cathryn Wellner
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The message is universal and timeless: Even the smallest and weakest can make an enormous difference. Teeny Tiny Toady's mama gets caught and plopped into a bucket. Though her brothers try their darnedest to free her, they simply can't manage it. So Teeny Tiny Toady uses her brain to come up with a plan that saves the day.

The rhyming adds to the fun. The illustrations are terrific. Definitely a kidlet pleaser.
Pat Miller
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to see an advance copy of this book, and it actually broke my adorable-ness meter. Seriously, I had to buy a new one. And, for anyone who loves rhyme or likes to write in it, this book is a master class in how to rhyme effectively and creatively while telling a story with a strong, local plot. Plus, it's funny and, as I said, adorable.
Eileen Manes
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really 4.5

"'I'm too little,' Teeny blubbered. 'I can't do it! Not alone!' But she had to, had to, had to. Tiny Teeny, on her own."

After summoning her brothers to help rescue her mother (who has been trapped in a bucket), Teeny is pushed out of the way with the assumption that she is too little to help. When all of the brothers also find themselves trapped in the bucket, it is up to Teeny to find her courage, put her plans into action and rescue the entire family.

Teeny is cute (especially in
Beth Anderson
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rhyming books always run the risk of having the rhyme overshadow the story. But in this one (and all of Jill’s), the story is front and center. Breaking stanzas and lines over page turns lets the story rule the format and controls pacing. Children benefit from seeing the power of little voices. In this era of rough and tough, shoot ‘em up and blow ‘em up, we need stories like this one early on to showcase the value of brains, ingenuity and courage winning over physical size and strength. The ...more
The Brothers
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rescues, siblings, toads
A little girl toad witnesses the abduction of her mother from the pond into a bucket. She scampers home to tell her many older brothers in hopes of rescuing their mother. The brothers' attempts at rescue all fail while they either ignore their little sister or take credit for her ideas. Eventually they all end up in the bucket too. But, the little girl toad comes up with a plan that ends up saving everybody. Cute enough, I suppose. As a mother of all boys, sometimes I get a bit tired of the ...more
Nicola
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 4 liked it. I didn't find the text that enjoyable but I liked the messaging of the baby sister saving her big brothers using brains rather than brawn.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Rosa Cline
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
this shows a child that because even though she's small she still has a lot to give. Her mama gets into trouble and she runs back to get her older bigger brothers. They all try and work together to get mama out of the bucket the 'human' put her in but they all fall in too. all the while ignoring what she suggest to do. Now she has to put her thinking cap on to help all her family.
Robin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable children's book!. Lil' squirts can do big things. You can accomplish what you put your mind to do. Those are the themes of this book.

When someone scoops up mama toad and puts her in a bucket Teeny runs to get her brother's help...soon it's up to her to do the rescuing all by herself.

Just such a cute book. Gotta find a kid to read this to.
Sara
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It was the pyramid of toads that drew me to this book.
Angela
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, heroes come in all shapes and sizes, as Tiny and her brauny brothers find out when their mom gets trapped in a bucket.
Mindy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary
Wonderful! I loved everything about this tale of the little toad that could. I just wish the book was printed with slick, glossy illustrations instead of the dull finish.
Francesca
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was very cute.
Jocelin
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A great story about finding courage in spite of insurmountable challenges. Also, a great lesson about no matter how small you are you can make a big difference.
Sassy
Teeny elicits helps from her big brother toads to rescue mama whose been placed in a bucket. When her brothers fail, Teeny has to muster up the courage to save them all. Very dramatic.
Mary
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rhyming picture book about a clever teeny tiny sister frog who saves the day in a big way. A compelling story with a lively beat will make this a read aloud treat.
Marg Corjay
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations and easy to read rhyming verse makes for a fun time. When Teeny's big strong brothers can't rescue Mom, Teeny uses her thinking skills to solve the problem.
Vera Godley
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I conjure up mental pictures of frogs and toads, I envision ponds, lakes, tall weeds, cat-tails, algae covered water, lily pads, water skimming insects, and the croaking of toads and frogs. So when I saw the green cover of teeny tiny toady and the dense grasses and plants with a wee little teeny tiny toady in the center, I immediately feel in love with this picture book gem.

Now personally, I'm not a lover of anything frog-y, toady, or reptile-y (I'm quite certain that is simply not a word.
Destinee Sutton
This book full of adorably pudgy toads has everything:

1. Potential for a STEM-related activities. Teeny and her brothers must solve the problem of how to get their mom out of a bucket using the power of engineering! They build a ladder and Teeny builds a kite.

2. Potential for discussion of gender roles. Why do the big brothers not listen to Teeny? Why do they not give her credit for her ideas until the end?

3. Very fun rhyming text that bounces along. Sample: "Brothers tumbled, bumble-jumble,
LeeAnn
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though you might need a couple of practice reads as I did with its slightly tricky meter, this text lends itself to a lively interpretation as a read- aloud, making it a great addition to any story time collection. Possible themes: Creepy Crawlies, Reptiles and Amphibians, Family, or Big Things, Little Things.
As for the art, the toads were delightfully round, warty, and mud-colored while the blues and greens of the pond/swamp setting had you sure water might drip from the pages at any moment.
Erin Whittle
Apr 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: rdng-350
I appreciated how this book was both entertaining and instructive to the reader. This book subtly taught the reader that, no matter their size, they can always help; the reader was introduced to problem solving. I also enjoyed how this book has the possibility of being interactive if chosen to be read aloud during a program. The range of emotions and twists and turns present throughout the book enable the reader to remain engaged and try their own hand at problem solving before the end result is ...more
Chelsea
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Annalise
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Within the first page Teeny Tiny Toady's mom is terrifying grabbed by a child and placed in a bucket, while screaming for TTT to get help. Ok, kind of a scary, jolting start. The rest of the tale is about TTT's big burly toad brothers trying to get their mother out and getting stuck in the bucket during the process. TTT eventually uses her brains to help her family escape. The illustrations have a manga like quality which is a neat touch. Although the story is kind of on the unnecessarily ...more
Rebecca Gomez
Okay, so I'm a little biased about this book, at least as it relates to the illustrations, because it was illustrated by Keika Yamaguchi, who also illustrated my book WHAT ABOUT MOOSE? But this book is simply adorable. It's active and clever and full of fun language. The meter had one or two trouble spots for me on the first read-through, but overall a very fun read. And the illustrations are completely charming.
Jenny
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is darling. Teeny, tiny toady's mother is caught and placed in a bucket. She enlists her brothers to rescue her mom...but they are unsuccessful and end up in the bucket also. Teeny thinks and thinks until she comes up with an ingenious plan. I like that her plan doesn't require her to be big or strong but does require her to use creativity, problem solving and intelligence.

I also love the illustrations!
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Brown Bunny
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • Far Apart, Close in Heart
  • Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays
Jill Esbaum is a full-time writer and author of I am Cow, Hear Me Moo!, I Hatched!, Stanza, and Tom’s Tweet, among many others. She lives on a farm with her husband and children in Dixon, IA.