Start by marking “Seaside” as Want to Read:
Seaside

Seaside

Published October 1st 2015 by Wylde Press

To ask other readers questions about Seaside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaside

Start your review of Seaside
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I received a hardcover copy of this book from the author at Book Expo America 2015 in exchange for an honest review.]

Novels for younger readers aren’t what I typically review but the blurb was so intriguing and Mr. Scott pitched it very well at his booth so I just had to pick it up. In the end I’m really, really glad I brought Seaside home.

Anna || BooksandBookends
I received a free copy of this book by the book's publishers via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much for letting me read this wonderful book!

Bobby, a 10-year-old boy from Seaside has always longed to be one of Blackbeard's Boys. Unfortunately, in order for him to do so he must face a series to tests by resident bully, Mario. An adventure awaits Bobby as he learns his true family history, makes new friends and faces a series of trials. Bobby's grandfather was seen as
Jessica
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Description (Goodreads):

Every boy in Seaside wants to be one of Blackbeard's Boys. From the time ten year old Robert Grace O'Malley could hold his very first fishing pole, it was all he thought about. Every captain of every ship had been one, and now he was well on his way. That is, until he meets Walter, the young octopus who will change his life forever. In Seaside, Wylde Scott takes you on an exciting voyage through a fairy-tale fishing village and a pivotal moment in the life of two unexpect
R.S. Carter
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is one of the best chapter books for early readers I've come across in a while. My son went bonkers over it. It's about a little boy and a little octopus who both want a little leeway over their lives. Their paths meet in the middle and danger is about in the small town of Seaside! The visuals are absolutely beautiful. Great book.
Aaronni
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seaside is a fun book geared towards young readers! This book is a combination of genre fiction and graphic novel. Every few pages there is an illustration portraying a prior scene. I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

Our book is set in Seaside, a town revolving around the town's marinas. Seaside experienced great tragedy many years before when they lost the town's most celebrated fishermen; they now honor their memory by selecting the best fisherman annually.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seaside is a great book, as the blurb says, for young readers starting to read novels on their own or for parents reading to younger children before bedtime. I also enjoyed the book even though the ending was predictable.

Bobby is a ten year old boy who wants nothing more than to be one of Blackbeard’s Boys. Pretty much everyone in Seaside is a fisherman, except his father who is afraid of the sea. You see, his father, Bobby's grandfather was killed in a catastrophe involving the reef and a sea m
Elaine
What an engaging adventure! Children will easily empathise with many of the characters and be enthralled by the events which unfold. In the coastal town of Seaside all the boys dream of being one of Blackbeard’s Boys and ten year old Robert Grace O’Malley is no different. In this story read how he tries to complete challenges to enable him to become on of Blackbeard’s Boys, meets up with Walter, a young octopus, and Pucello the Pelican and has an adventure with them which changes their lives and ...more
Wayne Walker
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ten year old Robert Grace O’Malley, known as Bobby, lives in the fishing village of Seaside with his father, Seamus O’Malley, who is reputed to be afraid of the sea due to the fact that Bobby’s grandfather, Jonathan James O’Malley who was first mate of The Siren Song captained by Rodrigo Bonicelli, had been killed when the ship was destroyed in a storm while trying to capture a “monster octopus.” Bobby’s mother is also dead. Bobby, like every other boy in town, wants to join a club called Blackb ...more
Suzanne
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Imagine growing up in a town where everything revolves around the sea, where your status depends on your prowess in fishing and sailing, and where you are belittled if your father has turned his back on the sea. You would probably do anything you could to clear the stigma from your name, even take insane dares from the local bully just to prove that you were not a coward. That is just what Bobby is dealing with. Mix in a young octopus named Walter who is trying to find his mother (captured in a ...more
A Reader's Heaven

Every boy in Seaside wants to be one of Blackbeard’s Boys. From the time ten year-old Robert Grace O’Malley could hold his very first fishing pole, it was all he thought about. Every captain of every ship for generations had been one, and now he was well on his way. That is, until he meets Walter, the young octopus who will change his life forever.
In Seaside, Wylde Scott takes you on an exciting voyage throug
Morgan Parabola
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination."

This is a Goodreads first-reads review.

First, I want to start off by saying the author reminds me very much of Gene Wilder's portrayal of Willy Wonka. Which is thing is splendid. I wish more children's authors interacted with their books, as well as their readers, in such a creative and whimsical manner.

Now on to the book itself. It reads very Roald Dahl inspired to me. There's also ele
Theediscerning
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A strong four stars.

I was very happy to read this, after seeing the author's debut, ''The Possible Police'', on netgalley. This was if anything a stronger book, as it's a really fine narrative that could have escaped into the realm of silliness, but conveys its unusual qualities with just the right amount of humour and more than enough drama. In the isolated coastal town of Seaside, lives Bobby, who is slowly piecing the real history of the town and the families in it together in his misguided q
Kim Ammons (youthbookreview)
This is a cute story about a boy named Bobby who lives in Seaside, a town full of fishermen. He wants to be a fisherman when he grows up, too, so he's trying to become a member of the Blackbeard's Boys: an elite not-so-secret club of future-fishermen boys that has lasted for generations. Then there's Walter, an octopus whose mother gets caught by a fisherman's net, and he's out to find and save her.

I don't read a lot of juvenile books (and this is definitely for elementary-age kids, probably the
Jeff
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seaside has all the elements to become a classic children's book. I would have loved it as a child and certain enjoyed reading it as an adult.

Wylde Scott has written a terrific adventure story with strong, positive relationships and clear boundaries of good and evil. Though perhaps a little dark, Hannah K. Shuping's illustrations are gorgeous and greatly enhance the reader's experience.

Without giving anything away-- The opening might be a little scary for young children prone to nightmares. I'd
Betsy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This book is written in alternating points of view of the boy, Robert and a young octopus Walter. I found this book quite interesting, even though it was aimed at younger readers. Robert just wants to be one of blackbeard's boys. Walter is just trying to save his mother.

The story of the two characters becomes entwined. While everyone else in town is terrified of the eight-legged creature, Robert ends up help
Rachel Stansel
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Seaside is the sweet adventure of two young boys. One, a young Octopus named Walter is trying to rescue his captured mom. The other, a Seaside boy named Bobby, is trying to become one of BlackBeard's boys. This group is guaranteed a life on the seas controlling their own destiny. But Bobby is the son of a man known in town to be afraid of the sea following the sinking of a ship at the hands of a huge octopus (Walter's grandpa). However, not everything is what it seems and when Walter and Bobby g ...more
Coleen
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting children's book - middle grade level. It is the story of an boy octopus, Walter, whose mother, Olivia, is caught by a bad guy fisherman in his net. Ten year old Bobby has his own problems with his widower father and kids, Blackbeard,s Boys, at school. The characters all interact with Bobby trying to help Walter save his mother.
Intriguing drawings add to the story in my opinion. HUH ? What was that? Nevertheless, I liked the illustrations.
The book has morals to teach and issues for p
Abby
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, kidlit
This was a super cute story that had fantastic illustrations. Robert is the main character, and through him there are a lot of issues addressed. Robert deals with trying to fit in with a group of boys who to be honest, are not very nice, we learn more about his relationship with his father, and having met Walter (a talking octopus who is need of help) Robert questions the morality of fishing even though he comes from a fishing town and has never before thought twice about it. Though the event is ...more
Joan
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This fantasy has enough reality in it to make it almost believable. There is terror, bullying, and gloom, but also good will, heroism, and humor, all wrapped up with a very satisfying ending.

The illustrations do portray the mystery of the sea, but are sometimes so vague one can't really see what they are without careful study. The evil sea captain bears a great resemblance to Bluto, Popeye's nemesis.

Children like things to look how they are supposed to look, not all modern and vague. The old fai
Arlene Arredondo
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely tale for young children and combined with the illustrations makes it endearing.
A great bedtime story, or a great choice for reading to a group of young kids.
The characters are so likeable. They are stubborn, head strong, but loyal and would do anything to help the ones they love. So we find ourselves with a young boy who wants to prove himself to become one of a very important group, even if it costs his life; and on the other hand we have Walter, a small octopus trying t
Matthew
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by Netgalley

The story of a human child and an octopus child and the serendipitous circumstances that brought them together on the most dangerous ship in all of the city of Seaside, this is a very entertaining middle grade fantasy novel. It's kind of a Moby Dick story wherein there are children attempting to foil Ahab's plan. This book doesn't take terribly long to complete, but you won't regret the time you devote to it. It was a fun book, with exciting action sequences and
Judy
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-to-watch
What a great book! It has well developed characters and an exciting, fast-paced plot. The illustrations complement the text. Seaside would be great to use in third grade through middle school either as a read aloud or in literature groups. It should spark lots of discussions - real versus make believe, good and evil, bullying and wanting to fit in. This is a book that I want to have in my personal library. I will purchase it to read aloud to my granddaughters!

I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Danielle
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ARC of this from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a cute little book. I enjoyed the descriptions of the town and harbor in particular, and it truly felt like the author knew a lot about the characters he created.

I'm not sure this is the promised classic, though. I enjoyed this little adventure, sure, but I doubt it will stay with me. Bobby wasn't particularly interesting as a protagonist, and it was a shame that the only woman in this story was
Maria
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything a kids book should be! Its about friendships, adventures and figuring out who you are. I loved every character from the pelican to the school teacher. My kids loved this book because it actually made them laugh, cry and even jump in suspense one or twice. I will buy it for them when the hard copy comes out and even get a few as Christmas gifts! There is nothing better than a great book that also has a great lesson.
Ruby
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovers of pirates, the ocean, and a great adventure, beware. You might just fall in love with the story and characters of this enchanting story. Filled with elements of fun, a little fear, and a lot of good time, Seaside has the thrills to keep older kids entertained, but has the witty, likable characters to appeal to the younger group. A definite good story for those who love a high sea adventure.
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Seaside is a cute chapter book for kids. It is about a boy trying to fit in by excepting dangerous challenges and finding out about his family history. It is also about a little octopus trying to help his mom escape capture from an evil fisherman. The boy and the octopus team up after they each have their own interesting adventures to try to save the mother octopus. The pictures are adorable. I reviewed this for NetGalley.
Judy
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted
I won this book and am giving it to my nephew for his birthday in January. Update on 3/24/16: My nephew read the first two chapter twice and he did not understand it so my Aunt read it for him because his mother did not have time. Here's my Aunt's review: Seaside would be a great book for a parent to read with his/her child. It has adventure, humor and many good discussion topics -- peer pressure, loyalty, decision-making, etc. Kudos!
Michelle Wiles
I was given a free kindle edition of this book in return for a fair and honest review. I enjoyed the story, but found it a little far fetched at times. At no point in my life, have I ever heard of an Octupus that could live outside of the water! However it was a good story and I am sure that children will enjoy it.
Emiley Allen Bowes
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS A wonderful children's book. Lessons on helping others, dangers of "following" bad suggestions, Happy to have received this free from goodreads. I look forward to sharing this book with my 4 great granddaughters.
Charmaine Lim
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This was such a good book! It took me less than a day to finish the entire thing, and I enjoyed every single moment. I'll definitely have a full review up soon so that I can gush all about it!

Review: https://charmainelimen.wordpress.com/...