Start by marking “Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)” as Want to Read:
Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)

Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners #3)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  4,878 Ratings  ·  1,065 Reviews
New York City.
1927.
Lights are bright.
Jazz is king.
Parties are wild.
And the dead are coming...

After battling a supernatural sleeping sickness that early claimed two of their own, the Diviners have had enough of lies. They're more determined than ever to uncover the mystery behind their extraordinary powers, even as they face off against an all-new terror. Out on Ward's Isla
Published October 3rd 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Emily May
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“He’ll be looking for you,” the boy said, drawing Henry’s attention again. “He’s looking for all of us. You should go now. Before he sees you. Before he finds you.”

Before the Devil Breaks You is such a perfect creepy book for Halloween. I have been taking a little longer to read this than I usually would, but that is because I have been savouring it (hell knows when we'll get the next one!), wanting to linger as long as possible in the glitzy, jazz-filled horrors of this paranormal 1920s New Y
Emma Giordano
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
AMAZING FANTASTIC WONDERFUL SPECTACULAR

I seriously love The Diviners series so much and Before The Devil Breaks You was no exception. Libba Bray is genuinely one of the most talented young adults authors to ever exist. I'm blown away by her ability to masterfully create an ever-expanding, historically accurate, well developed world with complete, well-rounded interesting characters.

I am DYING for book four.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Before the Devil breaks you, first he will make you love him.”

In case any of you haven’t heard, I spent several weeks dedicating my life to the audiobook narration of Libba Bray’s Diviners series. And uh, wow?

I think what I like about this series is how it makes the personal political. This is a story set in the freaking 1920s, a time that could easily be whitewashed dry of racism and discrimination. Easy to make unpolitical. But this story is so directly about the issues of the 1920s, the ra
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warning: abusive romance; attempted rape; human experimentation; racism and prejudices toward disability, mental illness, and same sex relationships that are a depiction of the time period. All of these things are quickly challenged and not glamorized.

Representation: African American main characters. Jewish main character. Irish/Chinese American, disabled (walks with crutches), asexual main character with a f/f romance. Gay main character with a m/m romance. I believe one main character
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
How am I supposed to move on from this?! My heart is broken 😭😭😭😭😭 will post more coherent thoughts when I get over my feels
✨    jamieson   ✨
“The land is old, the land is vast, he has no future, he has no past, his coat is sewn with many woes, he'll bring the dead, the King of Crows.”

okay I love this series so much and just thinking about how it could be 2 years until the finale comes out makes me want to check out and live in a cave and this was me favourite of the series, which is an unpopular opinion. But oh my GOD the payoff !! the character development !! the threads coming together !! THE PLOT THICKENED THE FUCK UP AND I LOV
Mohammed Arabey
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“This is a book about ghosts. For we live in a haunted house.”

نيويورك، العشرينات، الأضواء والمسارح والجاز
وقدرات خارقة روحانية وأشباح هائمة

لكن للسلسلة بُعد حقيقي واقعي..لأن أشباح الماضي تحذرنا أن التاريخ يعيد نفسه
“Before the Devil breaks you, first he will make you love him.”

لأن الشيطان قبل ان يكسرك سيجعلك تحبه...سيعدك بالامنيات والحرية..لكنك لن تعرف ابدا الثمن إلا متأخرا جدا

المراجعة العربية ستكون للتعريف بالسلسلة ككل وليس الجزء الثالث فحسب

السلسلة تبدو للوهلة الاولي انها مجرد روايات رعب..وفعلا
Cameron Cassidy
Dec 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Libba officially announced today DIVINERS #3 is coming out spring 2017!!!! Commence the heavy breathing

Edit-
Fall 2017 NOOOOOOOOO!! Libba POR QUÉ! PORQUOI! PER CHE! ПОЧЕМУ! WARUM! يلهجضصرِ! WHY IN EVERY LANGUAGE!!
Chesca

I'M. NOT. OKAY.

Libba Bray's Before the Devil Breaks You dug me up a grave and I am now properly haunting its vicinity!

The Diviners have started exercising their abili
Whitney Atkinson
**Trigger warnings: depression/alcoholism, attempted rape, domestic abuse/sexual assault, racism/prejudice against interracial relationships, gore

I will admit that my reading experience of this was a bit tainted because it took me so long to finish. During my listen of this (a 21 hour long audiobook), I was moving out of my dorm and coming home for the summer, and once I was home, I found very little time to sit down and listen for more than an hour at a time, so it was pretty choppy. However, I
Roshani Chokshi
This series. Y'all. It's phenomenal. Beautiful, timely, intoxicatingly real and meticulously researched. Libba is a genius. Do not sleep on this series. Though when you start, I'm not sure you'll be able to find sleep anyway.
Monica
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
“This is a book about ghosts, for we live in a haunted house.”

Only Libba Bray could make me burst into tears during an author’s note. Before the Devil Breaks You is not only an amazing continuation of a phenomenal series - but also an incredibly important and timely book.
Aleksandra
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thing you need to know is that I love this book and it is the best book I've read in 2017.
Second thing you need to know that Before The Devil Breaks You is the third book in the series, I highly recommend to read the series (first book is The Diviners, the second is Lair of Dreams) and as it's the third book, I won't be saying any detailed thoughts on plot or character development, because spoilers.
Third thing you need to know that I'll be overusing words like amazing, gorgeous and favorit
Sabrina
5 out of 5 stars.
This is going to be a long review guys.

I want to look at The Diviners series as a whole first. It’s a narrative constructed around identity, first and foremost, and young adult is the perfect age group for the audience and these characters; it allows the characters to change, to discover, and encountering consequences for the first time (and this, particularly, is made clear in the third book, where a lot of the characters start to suffer because of this).

The Diviners series is
Nastassja
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Diviners

The Diviners are back! And now they are after ghosts! Um, technically they were always after ghosts, but this time is different as not the ghosts are hunting them, but
Ferdy
Andrea
At this point I’m just trying to convince everyone to read this series. So here are some reasons you should read these books.

THE CHARACTERS

These characters are straight up charming. You will not find two similar characters here and they each bring something to the plot. This cast is so diverse. You’ve got a Black MC, an Irish-Chinese disabled, asexual MC, a gay MC, a Jewish MC, and so many more.
“There was such fear in the world. But love was everywhere if you looked. It was the best thing abou
Leonora Shiell
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Ahh. I wanted this to be SO GOOD. And it had its moments here and there, but it also had huge swaths where nothing really seemed to happen. This book really felt like it fell into that middle-volume trap. It felt like the story actually got going about a hundred and fifty pages before the book ended.

What didn't I like?
1. The deliciously creepy and evocative atmosphere of the first two books is not here. There are moments - especially towards the end - where you can see the ghost (GHOST! Get it?
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
THIS
BOOK
RUINED
MY
LIFE

...in the best way possible. This series seriously keeps getting better and better. I don't even know how to describe my thoughts on this. I loved every single second. It delves so much deeper into both the characters and the plot. I really can't even begin to explain how much I loved this book. I need the next one NOW.

To put it simply: Libba Bray is a goddess. Nothing but respect for MY president.
sofia (sam willows)
”This is a book about ghosts, for we live in a haunted house”

welcome to my ted talk. to start, i’d like to thank libba bray for existing.

that’s it, you can all go home now
Delanie
Mar 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'm sorry, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS COVER?

I hate being so vocal about something like this, but this is the third cover change for the series with just as many books. The difference between Diviners 1 & 2 was annoying enough, but now this?! I absolutely ADORE this series, and it deserves a better cover. With a consistent theme. That's all I gotta say.
Rebecca (whymermaids)
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

The narrator is AMAZING.

Also I’m worried for the fates of my favorites and the next book can’t come soon enough.
rin (lorenzo)
you know, when you finish the book you had high hopes for, and your first thought is "it's finally over, i am free" - that's not a good sign. i've listened to the audiobook and you don't even know how tired it made me.

i can't even name what exactly was the downfall of this book. maybe it was the extremely slow pacing. maybe it's the big amount of characters, but bray only focusing on some of them. maybe it's the POVs of irrelevant and uninteresting characters. maybe it's because of that ugly lov
Mari
Feb 16, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
Psst anyone know when this comes out? :o I have a feeling I'll be around thirty-five when Bray finally finishes this series, and I'm not sure I'm /that/ patient.
maddi
5 stars!
hi, I just finished reading this and I gotta say, I ain't jake (good job if you know what that means, if you don't, then read the diviners series!).

"The land is old, the land vast, he has no future, he has no past, his coat is sewn with many woes, he'll bring the dead, the King of Crows."

Before the Devil Breaks You was everything I wanted in the next instalment for the Diviners series. However, the book started off pretty slow in my opinion. It wasn't that the characters weren't doing th
Shaun Hutchinson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best entry into Libba Bray's The Diviners series yet. It brings a lot of storylines to a head and introduces some creepy new monsters, and has some real sad bits too. But what struck me was that for a novel set so far in the past, BtDBY feels very much like a novel of now. I think it's the first book I've read where I can feel the influence (and anger) of the 2016 election and the war on facts, truth, and anyone who's not a straight white male. Bray doesn't even attempt to hide her r ...more
Izzy
Mar 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
This series started out with the most GORGEOUS cover but they keep getting worse as the books go on, ughhhhh.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“There was a lot to fight. The future battle was daunting. But right now, this moment, was a time for hope, too. For fresh starts. For forgiveness.”

I just absolutely love diving deeper and deeper into this fantastically haunting world the Libba Bray has created. Before the Devil Breaks You continues the adventures of our incredible cast of characters as they learn more about their Diviners powers and the ghostly threat looming over New York. The Diviners learn more about themselves
Katie
Please note this review will contain spoilers for the first two books in the series.

I wish that I liked this more than I did. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good book, and definitely worth reading if you already liked the first two books of the series. I just felt that it was the weakest installment.

In the first book, the story mostly revolves around John Hobbes, the ghost of a serial killer who is continuing his killings to raise the anti-Christ, and how they defeat him, with other plots bei
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
ACTUAL RATING: 4.5 STARS

Libba Bray has stepped up her game SO hard. This is one of my favorite novels of 2017. She speaks out about the ghosts of American history and how it haunts the world. She speaks out against racism in the 20's and denounces anti-immigration rhetoric that is used often at that time.

Ugh. It was great.

DIVERSE ELEMENTS OF THE STORY
• A beautiful interracial couple
• A biracial asexual disabled strong-willed Chinese girl
• A lovely and kindhearted gay boy
• Two black brothers w
The Diviners by L...: Book #3 1 2 Jun 08, 2018 10:18AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #62 Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray 1 5 Apr 30, 2018 11:51AM
Play Book Tag: Before the Devil Breaks You/Libba Bray/5 Stars 1 14 Apr 04, 2018 09:26AM
Before The Devil Breaks You- What do we expect? 1 34 Sep 20, 2017 05:06PM
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Untitled (Shades of London, #4)
  • The Secret Science of Magic
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)
  • Swarm (Zeroes, #2)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Courting Darkness (Untitled Duology, #1)
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
  • Odd & True
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Lady Celie (Lumatere Chronicles, #3.5)
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.
More about Libba Bray

The Diviners (4 books)
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Untitled (The Diviners, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“We are a country built by immigrants, dreams, daring, and opportunity. We are a country built by the horrors of slavery and genocide, the injustice of racism and exclusion. These realities exist side by side. It is our past and our present. The future is unwritten. This is a book about ghosts. For we live in a haunted house.” 30 likes
“The colonizer writes the history, winning twice: A theft of land. A theft of witness.” 17 likes