Start by marking “Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles, #1)

Mystic Warrior

(The Bronze Canticles #1)

From the husband-and-wife team comes a monumental new dragon-laden fantasy series. "The scope, detail, meticulous planning and weaving and winding storyline . . . are just breathtaking."--R.A. Salvatore.
Published March 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mystic Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic Warrior

Start your review of Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles, #1)
Jim
3 stars is a bit generous, but it is an interesting premise. 3 unique, if narrowly described worlds that are mysteriously connected. I'd like to learn more about it in the other 2 books of the trilogy, but I can't take the writing any more. The characters are flat, too conveniently ignorant, stubborn, or stupid depending on what's needed. The dialogue is awful. There's not too much repetition, but enough that it's annoying.

Years ago, I read some of the Dragon Lance books & liked them. IIRC,
Sam
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, fantasy
A very short review since this book has been out for a long time and I'm sure there are plenty of reviews on it. I thought the world was interesting enough to bump this up to 2 stars. There's kind of a weird multiple universe sort of thing with overlapping magic that I would be interested in exploring further, but all the characters fell super flat for me. I don't care about any of them and it's almost to the point where most of them actively annoy me. If I hadn't been borrowed this book to ...more
Zachellis
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mystic Warrior is a tale of three different worlds. All of them occupy the same space, but on a different plane, and communication between these worlds is only possible for certain people through what appear to be dreams. On the faerie world, the inhabitants are under attack from hordes of satyrs and centaurs as their way of life is threatened. On another, goblins scour the countryside looking for ancient machines that can be made to work, especially signs of the old Titans who inhabited the ...more
Tyler
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I have read a book which so heavily depended on a sequel to continue its story lines. And I have to say, it is really annoying! Nothing is resolved really and hardly anything makes any sense yet. That being said, it is an interesting direction that the Hickman's took for this set of worlds, I'm not familiar with any works that function like this. True, it does bear some resemblance to Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle in the different worlds, but a unified world as ...more
Joy
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting premise based on Mystics who have dreams that cross dimensional realms where they either go mad or find they can tap into the magic of metaphor. Their world is ruled by dragons who have made themselves their gods and; as is typical with religion, it's dirty secrets are horrific.

The writing is continually engaging and the mystery of what is really happening is dangled far enough ahead to keep you reading. THe protagonist is in denial of his real and considerable power, having lost
Bradley
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
A truly strange setting with three linked worlds overlapping each other in weird and frightening ways. Definitely an interesting fantasy read.
Wayne Kearney
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a horrid read!! It was so convoluted and vague and yet distant that I was never able to get into the story or care about the characters. I forced myself to finish it but I have no intention of read the other two books. Does anyone want them?

I usually love Tracy Hickman's writing but this was terrible.
Amanda MacDonald
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books from these two authors and am never disappointed :)
Katherine Moss
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
another great start to a series. A bit different from what I'm used to
John Randall
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
My fault, thought this would be science fiction but it is fantasy. The only character I liked was Mimic although he kept changing jobs from engineer to technician (I.e., inconsistent).
Petra Eriksson
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I started reading this book 2008 and stopped when I had one third of left. I don't know why but I do that sometimes. I should perhaps have started over from the beginning but when I start reading again it dosen't take long before I remember and I find it boring reading books I have already read if I did not really, really like it.
I had one thing that quite bugged me the book through, the name Galen. That is the Swedish word for mad and perhaps the two writers even knew that, if you think about
Claire
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I was torn between giving this book 2 stars because I didn't really like it that much and 3 stars because the world was interesting. 2.5 stars, then?

It was a struggle to finish "Mystic Warrior." I was interested in the faery realm and the goblin realm, and the story lines there, but the human realm was boring. And since most of the story revolves around the characters in the human realm, I was bored a good bit of the time. I finished it mostly to see what happens in the faery and goblin realms,
Matt
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tracy and Laura Hickman usually deliver on all things fantasy, but for my taste Mystic Warrior falls a bit flat about mid way through. The grand epic adventure they are so good at is missing in this tale; The story starts off good enough, but about half way through I become bored and just wanted something to happen. The main characters are interesting but the secondary characters feel less important, as if they are only there to push the story along. I didn't feel any of the desperation the ...more
melydia
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Do you like dream sequences? Then have I got the book for you! Anyway, this is about a human named Galen who can hear inanimate objects talk. This is widely seen as insanity, and one day he is whisked away in an annual ceremony (which he has thus far been able to avoid) where he learns the horrible truth about what happens to the crazies. Meanwhile, he connects via dreams to a faerie named Dwynwyn and a goblin named Mimic, and nobody's quite sure what the dragons are up to. There's a whole lot ...more
Jen McGovern
Jul 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
the first book in a proposed trilogy entitled "the bronze canticles," this book begins as a typical sci-fi/fantasy book, set in what could be medieval times, if not for the presence of dwarves and other non-humans. however, through well-developed characters and a novel way of playing with time/space, the book won me over. it poses the idea that there are (in this case) 3 worlds, all of which are occupying roughly the same space and time, but which can only interact in dreams. throughout the ...more
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a complicated book, with action happening in three different "worlds" which are connected through some "mystic" magic which we still do not understand or have any significant knowledge of by the end of the book - at least, I didn't! The main characters are interesting, and you develop some sympathy for them by the end of the book, so I have started into the next of the series. Fortunately I am on vacation, and so have more, longer, blocks of time to get into it and follow connections. My ...more
John
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I was conflicted between giving this a 3 and a 4 star rating. I did like the book quite a bit, but it just didn't really reach out and grab me and make me want to read it. While I did finish this sooner than now when I post it, it still took me almost 2 weeks to plow through it which was disappointing in a way. It's kinda hard to explain...I think some of it was the three different storylines and that they didn't really overlap/interact with each other all that much which made it harder to read.
Chandra
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is probably the first Tracey Hickman book since Dragonlance that I liked right off the bat. The concept and characterization was novel and made an immediate connection. I also thought it was refreshing that characters stayed loyal to their spouse throughout the book when it could have easily turned into one of them meeting someone new and exciting, plus they were no longer technically married anyway and becoming a cliched trope.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one and see how it all
Jenny Garner
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fantasy readers
Another good fantasy series from Tracy and Laura Hickman. This book is about three connected universes that are slowly being drawn together. The human world, the goblin world and the faery world. Galen, a human blacksmith, is trying to hide his magical powers. Anyone in this world with magic is deemed a lunatic. Galen is captured by Dragon Priests and imprisoned. His wife, Berkita and best friend, Cephas the dwarf set off to rescue him. Read this book to find out what happens to Galen.
Pierre
Sep 27, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partial-read
Book didn't draw me in after the first chapter. I Didn't enjoy the writing style. First person narratives are dull, especially when the characters and settings are unfamiliar and not strong. Map style and place names were similar to Dragonlance setting, which is annoying, since this is supposed to be another world.

Meh.
Heather
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not really in love with this series, which is a shame as I normally really like Tracy Hickman's books that are written with Margaret Weis in the Dragonlance series. This series has left me feeling like I'm playing mental catch up so many times. There are often deliberate time gaps and content gaps where you're left trying to infer what has happened.
Tim Nielsen
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Although this book was full of good ideas it failed at putting them all together in a way that made sense. The book starts out with a “Thrice upon a time” with the idea of telling three stories from three different worlds that somehow were connected. Unfortunately we never found out how they were connected. I was very disappointed with this book and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
Hans
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
The first book was barely worth 2 stars, it got worse from there. If all Hickman's books are this bad he should really consider another career, and spare the world from things that bring disgrace to the entire fantasy genre.
Sophon
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Well, I have to say it wasn't a great book but not horrible either. Not quite like the DragonLance series in depth and character development. I haven't had the desire to read the rest of the series yet.
Louisiana36
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I gave it 3 1/2 stars it's a good fantasy read. listened to it while at work and on dart. story lines was kind of confusing at 1st but it's telling of 3 world's the farie, human and goblins. one world affects the other in certain ways. each main character sees the other world in dreams.
Sophie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2012-list
first book in a trilogy. Plot is bit difficult to follow as three "realms" are present in the same world (human/dragon + faeries + goblins) but they are in some ways connected. Plus, there's no real "hero" or MC at that point. Maybe one character will eventually stick out in book 2....
Kelly
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Just can't get myself back into this one. The first part was pretty good but then it switched to a another world and new characters. I could see how there was a connection but honestly i didn't care enough to find out the extent of it.
Katie Reid
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This has an interesting, and different theme of magic from many of the fantasy novels I have read. I did enjoy it, but I found myself tuning it out much to often. I guess that it was a bit boring.
Sally
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
sooo good. must read the whole series
Boyd
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Compared to the other stories that Tracy Hickman has co-written, this was so-so. I didn't really get into the story, and the dual-world thing didn't really work for me.

• Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Aarteita ja muistoesineitä
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • Well of Darkness (Sovereign Stone, #1)
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • Third Voice (Rönning & Stilton, #2)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath
  • Quentin Tarantino Unchained: Die blutige Wahrheit
  • The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
  • Beatrice and Virgil
  • The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington
  • Karhun morsian
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Taikuri ja taskuvaras (Taikuri ja taskuvaras #1)
  • My Gal Sunday
  • The Soulforge (Dragonlance: Raistlin Chronicles, #1)
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more

The Bronze Canticles (3 books)
  • Mystic Quest (The Bronze Canticles, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)