Start by marking “The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris

This is the magical tale of Edith Lane, who sets off to find her fortune in the beautiful city of Paris. Fortune, however, is a fickle thing and Edith ends up working in a vintage bakery in the positively antique town of Compiègne. Escaping heartache and singledom in Ireland, Edith discovers that the bakery on Rue De Paris is not exactly what it seems and that some ghosts ...more
Published July 2015 by Createspace (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris

Start your review of The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris
Jessica
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won in the First Reads giveaways.

A sweet little book that cozy mystery fans might like. Although the mystery is solved a little too early perhaps. I liked that it was light on the romance and heavy on the baked goods.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
‘Final call for passenger Edith Lane travelling to Paris on flight E1754 please proceed to gate 9 immediately, as the gate is now closing, thank you.’

The Mysterious Bakery on Rue de Paris is a book written by Irish writer Evie Gaughan.

Published last year, it is a book I have been looking forward to reading.

A little escapism to a world where good things happen, I felt now was a good time to sit down, have a coffee and a croissant and let myself relax into a world of mysticism & joie de
Rose Servitova
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful read. I don't know how, but something comforting oozes from the pages. Is it the way the characters connect or the connection with the past or might it simply be the smell and taste of fresh bakery that you sense throughout? Either way, I would gladly recommend this book as a Christmas present or a sunny beach read. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Joan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 5%

The punctuation is dire. Learn how to punctuate direct speech!! It’s incredibly irritating to have so many basic errors and its not as if there are only a couple of minor typos.

Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

This is one of those books that I've kept waiting far too long on my TBR. I think possibly because I don't like novellas but I finally made time and I was wowed by this book. I adored it!

First Line ofBook Review : The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris by Evie Gaughan
"The only thing worse than having a mid-life crisis is finding out about it from your father."

My Thoughts onBook Review : The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris by Evie Gaughan:
Ranjini
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ever since I came across the blurb of the book, I had been looking forward to reading it.

Aged 35 and a spinster, Edith Lane, of Irish origin, makes a decision that will alter her mundane life.
Having recently lost her mother and working a futile and uninteresting waitressing job, she realizes her life is going nowhere. She responds to an advertisement for the job of a manager at a little bakery in Paris. She applies, is interviewed and is accepted. And her dreams of living in Paris take over her
Suze Lavender
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Irish Edith is looking for change in her life. She applies for a job in a bakery in France to escape grief an suffering at home. She can see herself working in the busy and wonderful centre of Paris. When she arrives in the city of love she discovers that the bakery is in Compiègne instead. She decides to give it a try though and soon she makes friends in the small town. The bakery isn't just a bakery, it has a history. Slowly the heartbroken and shy Edith starts to discover other sides of ...more
Katey
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Badly in need of copy editing

The story has potential but it's very hard to get into because of the many errors in punctuation, spelling and grammar.
Ranjana
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful dough of history, suspense and romance. A light read on a refreshing dewy morning!
A refreshing romance set in the beautiful land of Paris. The story of a woman in her 30s who takes a leap, makes an impulsive decision and goes to Paris to take a managers post in a small bakery. Only to find herself engulfed by a mysterious persons presence, new friends and a sweet aroma of romance as a cherry on top.
Ciara H
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gentle, easy read. Not taxing but certainly fun.
Now I need to find myself a boulangerie, the descriptions of the croissants, baguettes, and other baked goods is exceptional!
Amanda
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I added spoiler tags: so no worries if you haven't read the book yet.

I do love a good story that involves french phrases, and the bakery setting was an added bonus. The premise of the book is interesting enough: Girl in her 30's moves to France to take a job in a bakery and to rediscover herself and her passions.

The quality of the writing was somewhat distracting, as was the punctuation and grammar. The first few chapters are mildly intriguing, though predictable, in that everything comes all
Dana
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, read-in-2016
I didn't realize until after I started reading that this is independently published. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with these types of books, but maybe this will be the beginning of a change for me. As usual with me and self-published books, this definitely needs editing/proofreading - lightening instead of lightning, distain instead of disdain, faut-pas instead of faux pas, Romani's instead of Romanis, etc. It doesn't distract too much from the overall story, but it is still glaring enough ...more
Simona
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Book received by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Edith has gone through a lot in the past and is ready for a new start in France. She thinks, she got a job in Paris, but actually it’s an hour outside the city in a tiny little bakery.
The description in the blurb is right though, it’s magical. The way Evie describes the scenes and the story has a real spark. I really liked it.

The start is hard but she gets into to the job more and more and also gets to know her boss better after a
Celeste Ní raois
I received this copy from Evie Gaughan in exchange for an honest review. So here it goes!

Edith Lane has had enough with her life in Ireland and decides to take a leap into the unknown by moving to France. Even though this means leaving her father behind, Edith knows she needs a new challenge, one she might be able to find in the vintage French bakery she managed to get a job at. Yet, when Edith arrives at the small bakery on Rue De Paris in the antique town of Compiègne where she thought she was
Ginger Price
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very French story

Edie leaves her Ireland homeland for Paris answering an ad for a shop manager for a quaint little bakery in Paris. When she arrived however she found a bakery struggling to stay afloat and not in Paris but an hour out in Compiegne . Making the best of it Edie falls into the routine at the bakery with Mme. Moreau and her grandson Manu. She makes some friends and is especially smitten by Hugo Chadwick.
Edie stumbles upon how the teenager Manu is receiving his extraordinary
Tara
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice supernatural twist on the straightforward chick lit romance. The author does a nice job of evoking place and relationships. Points deducted for not hiring an editor who knows that apostrophes do not make plurals.
Anne
May 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could have skipped this one.
Lorraine Meissner
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story

If you're looking for a nice, little story, this is it. It's a quick read but it does transport you to a little town in France and introduces you to a spunky 35 year old woman who won't give up on her life. Looking for a change she moves from the safety of her home in Ireland to a job at a bakery in the outskirts of Paris where she meets a quirky group of people and makes them her dear friends.
This book will take you away from the nonsense of the world today. Enjoy
Kandi A. Hudson
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Romance with a bit of The Supernatural

As the title says, this is a story about a mysterious bakery, the the supernatural part of the story. The romance is when an Irish woman falls for a guy she meets in a bar. The bakery falls on hard times, thus the story proceeds from there. I liked the story a lot. The only thing I think the reader needs to be aware of is the smattering of adult language and a bit of adult situations. All in all, I found the book hard to but down and read it in a couple
Suzanne Powell
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was the first book in a long time that I read in one sitting (well, laying, as I spent the night reading it). It was easy and enjoyable, and I was sorry when it was over. I think it was easy to read all at once because it wasn't a complicated story, even with the mixture of factual history and fiction. I will be looking for more from this author, though that only includes her debut novel, The Heirloom.
Jan McNutt
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For light reading, with a good bit of history about Compaigne, France, WWII, a touch of romance, you also get ghostly intrigue and a decent read. This a great holiday book to sit back with a cup of tea and relax. It takes you out of your realm just enough that you want to finish it and, realistic enough to keep you reading through to the end. I enjoyed the author's writing style. She has a delightful Joie de vie and I will happily read another book by her.

Kathy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A charming story about second chances. After losing her mother some years before, Edie decides to start life over by moving from Ireland to France, taking a job in a bakery there. Things don't go quite as she expects, but she continues on, desperate to meet new challenges head on. Very well written book that you'll fall in love with!
Lisa Sherrill
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming tale

Edie heads to Paris to find herself only to find she's taken a job at a quirky bakery one hour outside of Paris. The characters and the mystery in The Mysterious Bakery on Rue de Paris kept me engaged. Such a charming story.
Ms.Lisa
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully Pleased

Looking for a read to take you away from the mundane day, sit and enjoy this book... With every word I felt as if I was there experiencing everything Edith was experiencing... Definitely a 5 Star
Dick R. McCart
This wasn't what I expected

This is a fast, light, short romance with an unlikely mystery. Eddie is nosey and a bit too introspective. But the story is readable. A good 'waiting time' read.
Evvie Williams
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun little book that provides some quick entertainment. If you love France,especially the bread you’ll have a great time.
Jean Hall
Jun 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out interesting, but didn't stay that way for me. Just couldn't finish reading it.
Lisa Polley
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ehhhhh a surface book. Nothing deep or developed . Predicable w some lame supernatural thrown in. Quick resolution. Skip it.
Frances E Davidson
Enjoyable Quick Read

Really enjoyed this book. Read it on a Sunday , my chill out time. It was an easy read loved the characters and look forward to more from this author.
Lesley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. An original and magical story in a richly described setting with characters that you cannot fail to like and connect with.
Loved it !

• The Black Velvet Coat
  • Fur Coat No Knickers (Fur Coat Series Book 1)
  • The Forgotten (Echoes from the Past, #2)
  • The Lovers (Echoes from the Past, #1)
  • The Forsaken (Echoes from the Past, #4)
  • The Girl in the Picture
  • The Unforgiven (Echoes from the Past, #3)
  • The Karma Book Club: A Romantic Comedy (The Club, #2)
  • Bitter and Sweet in Dog Town (Dog Town, #1)
  • Tall Chimneys
  • The Inheritance
  • Whisked Away (Paradise Bay #2)
  • The Healer's Secret (The Innocenti Saga, #1)
  • A Step in Time
  • The Betrayed (Echoes from the Past, #7)
  • Haunted Ground
  • Going Wild (Oakland Hills Book, #6)
  • Turtle Reef (The Wild Australia Stories Book 4)
Evie Gaughan is a writer and artist living in Galway City, beside the sea. Her books are a mix of genres, incorporating her love of history and a penchant for magic in the everyday.
The Heirloom is Evie's debut novel and is a time-slip epic set in Ireland during medieval times, with a parallel story in the present day. Her second novel, The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris is a magical tale set
“Sometimes if you just let things happen, rather than trying to force them, they come easier.” 2 likes
“That’s what happens when you are out of your comfort zone – time stretches like an elastic band, prolonging your discomfort and unease, accentuating your isolation.” 0 likes