Start by marking “Stacey's Emergency (The Babysitters Club, #43)” as Want to Read:
Stacey's Emergency (The Babysitters Club, #43)

Stacey's Emergency (The Baby-Sitters Club #43)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,517 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Lately, the pressure's really been on Stacey. She hasn't been feeling well. Her schoolwork and baby-sitting jobs are almost out of control. And Stacey's tired of being in the middle of her parents' fights.

Then it happens: Stacey ends up in the hospital because of her diabetes.

The Baby-sitters are so worried. So is Stacey.

Why does she always have it so hard?
Unknown Binding
Published September 17th 1991 by Scholastic Hippo (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Stacey's Emergency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stacey's Emergency

Ciara
it was a relief to finally get to this book because they have been foreshadowing it for at least twnty books--seriously. it's not unusual in the babysitters club series to shadow maybe four or five books in advance, but stacey has been looking thin, pale, & sickly pretty much since her parents got divorced back in book #24 or whenever it was, & it all finally comes to a head here.

basically, this book is all about stacey feeling like crap physically, sneaking one of claudia's ho hos, guzz
Jenn
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
We finally, finally get the one where Stacey gets sick from her diabetes and it is so anti-climactic it's not even funny. And pretty boring actually. I was expecting a fainting incident or at least a peeing-the-bed accident lol. Stacey is obviously still feeling crappy at the beginning of this one, but she hasn't told her mom or dad, even though her schoolwork is starting to suffer. Duh, doesn't she know that if you have an actual excuse for bad grades, you use it as long as possible?? So, she's ...more
Logan Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
Stacey goes to the hospital.

Stacey’s been feeling tired and under stress with her schoolwork and her parents quizzing her about each other, and she starts sneaking candy. On a trip to see her dad, she’s so tired and sick that her father takes her to the hospital. She ends up staying in a New York City hospital for two weeks, alternately feeling better and worse as the doctors try different mixes of insulin. The slow build-up of Stacey’s illness, details about hospital life from a seasoned hospit
Henry
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I initially mistook Martin's declarative prose as bad writing, but soon realized it is, in fact, her genius: she perfectly mimics the breathless, everyday hysteria of the tweenage girl. (Whether anyone but an 11-year-old would want to spend time with these characters is another matter.) She also pens the occasional poignant passage about diabetes, divorced parents and the impersonality of a hospital stay.
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I definitely remember this one and it gave me flashbacks to seeing what happened to my diabetic friend if she didn't get enough sugar or got too much. What stuck with me was how Stacey got dehydrated all the time when she was having issues with her diabetes. What really annoyed me was how she kept eating candy even though she had to know it was hurting her. My diabetic childhood friend was never allowed to eat candy unless it was sugar-free. Once when her sugar was too low she got sugar on her s ...more
Rachel Brand
I'm fairly certain I read this as a kid but all I remember is Stacey eating lots of sweets and then getting ill, which I thought was linked. Thus I was surprised when having lunch with a diabetic friend, she simply checked her insulin then ate a slice of banoffee pie and a bit of chocolate cake. Then another friend informed me that if Jo was ever low on insulin and looked ill we were to feed her lots of sugary foods. Thanks AMM for forevering confusing children about diabetes!
Anyway, I did reall
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, bsc
I usually didn't like the Stacey books as much, but this one was quite interesting. I suppose because it was a more serious one than her just being in L-U-V yet again with some guy. I think these books also taught me more about diabetes than anything else at that age.
Kate
Despite having a serious form of diabetes, Stacey can't handle the stress and must turn to emotional eating to fill the void in her life.
Maria Elmvang
One of the more realistic BSC books that reminded me all too vividly of my own time in the hospital.
Lisa
Finally the big build up to Stacey is over! She's sick. We get it.
lisa
Stacey's diabetes takes a nosedive in this book, leaving her vulnerable and frightened in a hospital in NYC. The rest of the baby sitters (and Charlotte) are left vulnerable and frightened back in Stoneybrook. I was the only person I knew who didn't like this book when I first read it. For most of my friends, this was their favorite BSC book. (I was also one of the few people I knew who disliked Stacey, although as an adult I don't think she's as annoying and vapid as I remember her being.) My m ...more
Samantha
I really actually liked this book as a kid, and I still find it pretty decent as an adult. Perhaps because most books that deal with any sort of illness or disease really never touch on diabetes. It's a rough condition for adults, and pretty nasty for children. I know a couple of people who had it super young, and yeah. Not easy. So I can at least appreciate that.

This book is pretty par for the course though when it comes to a book about a kid with a medical condition. Stacey isn't feeling well,
Alanna
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are so nostalgic for me. I loved re-visiting the BSC 💜
Shira
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is my first time reading this book!

there have been allusions to stacey not being well for a LONG time (at least since Kristy and the Secret of Susan). in this book, her blood glucose level is so out of whack that she gets insatiably hungry and thirsty. she starts eating chocolate and other sweets, and on a visit to new york to stay with her dad, she goes to the hospital because she feels so crappy. what ensues is a book about what it's like to be in the hospital while they try to figure out
M Strawberry Reviews
When I first started reading these books I was like eight or nine years old. I was introduced to diabetes, and for years, thought that this was what diabetes was like. I had thought that diabetics couldn't eat candy, and while it is true that twenty years ago, diabetes treatment wasn't as advanced as it is now, this didn't mean that diabetics couldn't eat sugar! Sugar is a vital component in nutrition and diabetics need to eat fruit which has natural sugar, and it is okay for them to have refine ...more
Julie Decker
Stacey has been noncompliant with her diet requirements lately, so it's not a big surprise that she starts feeling dehydrated and sick and ends up in the hospital. When her recently divorced parents have to be in the same room sometimes while they visit her, she's surprised that they can't stop bickering for her sake, and on top of this, one of her sitting charges keeps thinking she's ill and making bids to enter the hospital to be with Stacey.

The setup here is kind of interesting, though the se
Jay
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, kids
Ahh, yes, the book that convinced thousands of children everywhere that they had diabetes, just like Stacey. Hypochondriacs, just like Charlotte, sprung up by the hundreds as they suddenly become thirsty after playing football in summer.

I can't help but feel reading this years and years after it was first published that diabetes is a euphemism for AIDS. This would make sense, given the era, and everyone treats her diabetes as though it's some awful secret. Sure, she has brittle diabetes (which i
April
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Melissa
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
I wish I could write adequate reviews for this series, because I loved it when I read them. However, it was so long ago, and I was so young, only 10-12 years old, that I do not remember much.

What I remember about this instalment is that it was the first time in my young life that I had read a story about a young person with health problems. It was almost as if at the time, I naively thought that children were immune to such things. Wouldn't that be a blessing if it were true?
Donna
Brandon Meredith
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a memorable book from my childhood where I first learned about diabetes, and childhood illnesses more generally. I believe it gave me a healthy dose of empathy. More boys should read these books.
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 6547 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.0 - AR Pts: 4.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Kimberly A. Youra
Great book.

Wow. Another great babysitters club book. Great job Ann M. Martin!!! You have done it again!!! I highly recommend this book/series.
Sarah Smith
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Sarah B
Stacey's problem with her diabetes are compounded by her divorced parents' constant bickering.

Good, quick read.

06-22-2009
Jessica
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-collection
For sometime, previous titles have been hinting that there is something wrong with Stacey.
We finally find out the reason why.
Amanda
A good series that I enjoyed as a child.I would recommend this to children as I still remember the story to this day.
Cws
JAR4 Mar
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
  • The Middle School Gets Married (Sweet Valley Twins and Friends #68)
  • Face-Off! (Girl Talk, #2)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)