Start by marking “Love Like the Medici” as Want to Read:
Love Like the Medici

Love Like the Medici

Dear Author,
I just graduated with my Computer Science degree. I love spending hours with a computer, but I realized it’s sad that my biggest excitement and let down of last year were video games (the newest HALO, awesome, but Assassin’ Creed: Unity had me drinking in despair). I’m excited about my new job, which pays really well so I’ll be able to afford the newest tech to
Published August 1st 2015 by MMRomanceGroup.com (first published July 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Love Like the Medici, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Like the Medici

Julio Genao
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
lovely.

and with a subtle tension that made me ache all the way through.

but for me, the release of this tension was not much of a relief.

i think of my own affairs, and remember that same tension, and while i never found the answer to it like the boys in this story found theirs, i like to think that it might still have been possible.

that i could have made it work, if i too had loved like the Medici.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
What does it mean to love like a Medici?

Intrigued by the title and the prompt I dove into my first Edmond Manning. All you people who have been poking me to read his King series, I get it now.

This prompt spoke to me even though it's chaste which normally is an antidote for my interest. Yes, no on page sex and I read it. There wasn't even a dragon! Astonishing, I know. It was probably Italy that did it. DRiTC 2015 seems to be my year of reminiscing about prior vacations.

"Firenze is very proud o
Vivian
Frustratingly, imperfectly perfect.

What happens when all your plans are swept away? Do you abandon the field or take succor in what is still to be had, perhaps even uncover hidden treasurers? Manning has a way of taking ordinary moments and transforming them into epiphanies. A person is going about life when a pivotal incident changes everything--and frankly, never quite in the way you expected.

There's an optimism in Manning's works that drives the reader, but there's always a twist. A moment wh
Nick Pageant
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Loved this one. It starts off a bit slowly, but once it gets going it's very romantic and dreamy. Best read with a bowl of lemon gelato.
Lori
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The conflicting feelings overwhelmed him, throwing him into chaos, as life-changing emotions ripped through him. He felt he finally understood how small he was, how nothing, a self-aware blade of grass standing in this tic of time. He felt unnerved and undone.

This is possibly my favourite DRitC read this year. It is just stunningly beautiful and honest, and I could not put it down. I adored both Chris (Ca-riiis) and Enzo. They were so different in personality yet worked so wonderfully together.
Sofia
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it

In Firenze the city of perspectives, we have a quiet look at challenging ourselves with a different outlook, a different perspective.

Chris is challenged in two ways, having his plans upset and having to accept or fight the outcome and dealing with someone who has a different outlook on life than him. I'm glad he rose up to the challenge. Exploring new ideas, accepting that one's partner does not see the world like one does is good in my opinion, it's respectful and adds the needed spice to our l
Ulysses Dietz
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The idea of writing from someone else’s inspiration points boggles my mind. The Goodreads m/m romance group does just that, presenting an image and a letter to its writers, and then having each of them produce a full-blown (but short) romance based on their take on the image.

Edmond Manning took the image and the letter and gave us “Love like the Medici.” His distinctive author’s voice (from the King novels) came through loud and clear, but somehow moderated and shorn of much of its outrageousne
Bookbee
Gorgeous writing, charming characters...I loved it!

Mr. Manning paints Firenze so vividly that it almost comes to life as another character!
Elizabetta

Some wonderful elements merge here. A sun-soaked Italian city with its art and history that continues to inspire and illuminate is the setting for young love. That this new love grows out of the slippery traps of cynicism and adversity also speaks to Florence’s allure. Those elements are also very much a part of a city eternally tied to the powerful and ruthless Medici family who lived to shape and rule it so many years ago.

How did the Medici love? What can our two modern-day lovers le
Leanne
This brought back all sorts of glorious memories of my week in Firenze years ago. No romance, alas, but I spent it with a rambunctious bunch of fellow backpackers, Aussie girls who managed to get me out of my shell and showed me how to be young and free and unafraid in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Lovely, evocative writing..I savoured every moment spent with Enzo and David. The prologue had me bursting into the tears I'd been holding in throughout a good deal of the story.

I ca
Tess
Shelves: 5-star-mm-reads

So delightfully delightful. Love like the Medici is as much about Italy -- one of my favourite places in the world -- as it is about the beautiful and real romance between Chris and Enzo. It's a story of Florence, of art, of history, of good wine and even better food. It's about two young men discovering a new friendship and love and doing their best to find out what it means to love like the Medici. Just lovely.

MsMiz (Tina)
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was, just perfect.
Renée
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
So well-written! Adored this introduction to Manning's writing about falling in love while on a lengthy vacation while in Italy. Only disappointed with the zero steam.
Rohit
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Perfetto Perfetto Perfetto

Loose yourself in the throes of italian pleasure and while it may be a bit hard to pretend to understand the depth of the italian art culture and it's allure (unless you took the intro level course) discussed in the novel, you'll get through it. Because at it's heart is a very artsy romance which keeps you in awe with it's touristy edge.

We have Beautiful characters.
In Beautiful settings.
Sharing a Beautiful love.
Kathy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Wonderful writing. A romantic and dreamy story that captured the beauty and colour of Florence and new love.
Pixie
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
To start I’d already passed this book over after reading the prompt and deciding it probably wasn’t for me. BUT after seeing a couple of positive reviews from friends I thought why not, after all it’s free.

I moved a lot as a child, every school year from kindergarten until tenth grade. Once you start romantically liking people it poses a problem. When you know your leaving how much to invest. I understood both boys resistance to go all in BUT also understood how ultimately it’s really not your
Jeanne 'Divinae'
Chris had decided to take a two month vacation in Italy, enjoying all the rich history. On day three, it changes. Everyone does. He is robbed and it devastates him. But on that horrible day, he meets a handsome local, Enzo, a street artist. Enzo is the reason he chooses to give the rest of his vacation a chance.

Along the way, they both fall in love, but they have a time limit on their relationship. Enzo and Chris talk art and history and go all over. Frankly for me, it was hard to follow. Perha
Giulio
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Giulio by: Nick Pageant
Very nice! Amazing Italian setting. It was like being in Florence.
Yvonne
Very romantic from the setting to the subject. It did veer into travel guide territory a bunch of times which bought it down a notch.
DC
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice! Having visited the beautiful city of Florence years ago, the descriptive narrative brought back some nice memories. Enzo was just delicious and such a wonderful character. Chris, on the other hand, came across as sort of the stereotypical country bumpkin - from Iowa, no less - who is so totally unprepared for an overseas vacation. This story is also an excellent example of how an author can write a beautiful romance without the gratuitous and unrealistic sex scenes. I’m glad Enzo and ...more
Susana
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Chris Spaulding dreamt holidays in Florence suddenly turns into a nightmare on his second day on the city, when his laptop bag is stolen with his most valuable goods inside: His iPhone, his laptop, his headset and mouse… Being a geek completely committed to his WoW guild, the theft seems the end of this world. But his distress turns into something completely different when sexy street painter Enzo Tenore offers to help him. Maybe Chris’ misfortune is not that bad after all…
A really swe
Lisa
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5* stars

This was a cross between a chaste romance and a tour guide of architectural wonders of Florence.....but don't be put off.....

There were pure moments of pain, joy, discovery and banter that held my attention around the building facades, shadow and shade of cobble stone streets and terracotta tiled roofs.

Michael Angelo's "David'" arse aside (I will forever have this image in my head now....lol...).... this was an easy entertaining read. Unfortunately having a husband who is a real life
Melissa
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The highlight of this book: its wonderfully vivid imagery. And this is not something that I say lightly. Some books have tons of reviews exclaiming how they felt transported to the scenes of the book and how they could almost taste the air or feel the wind. Then when I read that same book, I barely feel anything. I often have trouble picturing things, especially when events start unfolding rapidly during the climax, but I'm used to it, and I learn to appreciate my best case scenario - usually on ...more
Ami
Keeping in line with travel theme (after Ariel Tachna's The Path) since I will be having my own vacation in about few hours (from my writing this review).

I thought this was okay. I mean, it didn't spark any intense emotion. I was lost with the World of Warcraft explanation and to be honest, I just didn't connect with Chris' passion with his 'guild' (not a gamer here, I apologize). I also thought this was a little instant love (or at least very quick in falling in love, in terms of timeline) tho
Aislinn
Great story from a great author for the Love is an Open Road event. I adore Florence, so having this story set there was delightful. I could picture the piazzas and David, the Uffizi and Il Duomo.

Chris is a computer nerd who decides to spend two months in Italy after graduating from college. He's deep into World of Warcraft, and as tied to his iphone as most people his age. Having his technology ripped away from him early in the story leaves him feeling vulnerable and depressed.

Enter Enzo, a ch
Fritz42
Amazing, amazing story of a man from Iowa, Chris, who goes to Florence, Italy, for two months after graduating from college. On just his 2nd day there, he is robbed. Looking for help amongst the people who might have witnessed the crime, he meets Enzo, a street artist, who helps him out with the police.

And there starts something wonderful, amazing and life-changing for the two of them.

They were so different, but they connected through their love for art history. It's a slow and gentle telling
Kira
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lor-event, feelz
Edmond Manning's writing doesn't always agree with me, but this is my favourite book of his, to date. Apart from being a damned fine story in its own right, it also invoked memories of a day in Florence, equally full of art and history, but sadly lacking of handsome painters with lots of integrity.

It was a pleasure to read about someone thinking differently from what we're pretty much used to in romance novels. And this was a real Romance. Lots of shivering on my part. Lots of connecting, conver
V
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the blurb mentioned HALO, Assassin’ Creed, World of Warcraft, I was very excited!!
I was expecting a guy playing games and falling in love with one of the cyborg gamers or something along those line.
How wrong I was, this is about an Italian street artist who falls in love with an American who was on Holidays in Italy.
Never mind it was a nice story with a very lovely ending.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Is An Open Road event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

SOOOOO CUTE!
Caroline Cairn
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I could have done without the endless (well written, but boring after a while) lesson in Italian art, architecture, culture...it felt like I was reading a travel guide, when all I wanted, was the story of those two adorable characters!
The Backlot Gay B...: Love like the Medici, by Edmond Manning 2 11 Aug 30, 2015 10:45PM
Edmond Manning has always been fascinated by fiction: how ordinary words could be sculpted into heartfelt emotions, how heartfelt emotions could leave an imprint inside you stronger than the real world. Mr. Manning never felt worthy to seek publication until recently, when he accidentally stumbled into his own writer’s voice that fit perfectly, like his favorite skull-print, fuzzy jammies. He fina ...more