Jump to ratings and reviews

Dragonlance: Chronicles #1-3

The Dragonlance Chronicles/Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning

More than three million readers have witnessed the return of the dragons...And now the books that began the best-selling 'dragonlance' saga are collected in their entirety in this special edition, along with all of the artwork from the trilogy. This splendid collector's edition is a must for the millions of readers who fell in love with the fantasy world of Krynn.

210 pages, Hardcover

First published September 1, 1985

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Margaret Weis

594 books5,317 followers
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two paranormal romance novels, Fallen Angel and Warrior Angel, with my daughter, Elizabeth Baldwin. I graduated from the University of Missouri–Columbia and now live in Wisconsin with dogs, Max, Dixie, Joey the Thug and Clancy the Hooligan.

I am currently working on the third book in the Dragon Brigade series, the Seventh Sigil. The first book is Shadow Raiders. The second book is Storm Riders, coming out from Tor in July 2013.

My hobby is flyball racing with my dogs, Dixie, a border collie, and two crackhead Shelties, Joey the Thug and Clancy the Hooligan.

I am the owner of the company, Margaret Weis Productions, publisher of RPGs. Our newest project is creating the RPG for the wonderful TV series, Firefly. Shiny!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
656 (3%)
1 star
215 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 554 reviews
Profile Image for Tom Quinn.
545 reviews147 followers
July 18, 2020
In 5th grade we became suddenly aware of the great public school pecking order. Social standing was paramount. I had two classmates, Mikey and Lang. Mikey brought The Dragonlance Chronicles to school one day. Lang said it was not cool, basing this on the admittedly unenthusiastic cover art. Mikey countered that it was in fact very cool because it had dragons. I sided with Mikey. Dragons are badass. A friendship was formed.

Mikey and I eventually grew apart, but Dragonlance and I never will.

5 stars. More or less the most formative text of my entire life, it kicked my reading hobby into overdrive.
Profile Image for Mei.
791 reviews7 followers
January 31, 2012
I have to give these five stars because my love of fantasy stems from my stumbling onto these, and reading them, as a teenager. No mean feat given I grew up in a small town in Malaysia!

I have read, and reread, these books many, many times, for comfort, for memory's sake, for any number of reasons. I have not read them in recent years, and I have to confess that I am loathe to do so, because you can never go back, but they deserve 5 stars just for the warm memories I have of them, and how they made me feel as I read them.

I remember, even after all these years, Tanis (the hero), Cameron (the warrior), Tasslehoff (kender, plucky, but good for comic relief), Flint (dour dwarf), Sturm (stern, unyielding knight), Kitiara (Kit!)...but most of all, I remember reading about Raistlin with his ruined health, his bitterness, his sarcasm, his cruelty to his brother, and his hourglass eyes, and being mostly in love with him. He was always the character that I loved. I grew up with them and the Dragonlance Legends and I will always remember them fondly.

Every fantasy stereotype is there, you have a quest, you have the battles, you have betrayal, you have good and bad and evil, and most of all, you care about them. You care about the characters, you cry with them, and you never want it to end. I don't think anything else done by Weis and Hickman comes close to these for me. Give them to your children to read; you could do a whole lot worse.
Profile Image for Shannon.
891 reviews225 followers
June 11, 2014
CONCEPT: A group of adventurers are chosen to help drive back the Evil from another world led by the Dark Queen.

MARKETING APPEAL: The DRAGONLANCE chronicles had the whole AD&D industry behind them; TSR used this tale as a marketing ploy, using their fans and game designers (to set up the world); then, they took some above average writers to do the first trilogy; Set up in a typical AD&D adventure (rag tag group of mixed adventurers off to save the world with promise of great magic, great evil, great good and an epic scale) the series took off as a bestseller; royalties were probably astounding.

SCORING: Superb (A), Excellent (A-), Very good (B+), Good (B) Fairly Good (B-) Above Average (C+), Mediocre (C ), Barely Passable (C-) Pretty Bad (D+), Dismal (D), Waste of Time (D-), Into the Trash (F)

DIALOGUE: B/B-/C/D (C ) STRUCTURE: B+ HISTORY SETTING: B (A to game designers) CHARACTERS: B+/B/B-/C/C- (C+) EVIL SETUP/ANTAGONISTS: B- EMOTIONAL IMPACT: B SURPRISES: A- LITTLE THINGS: A- MONSTERS: B (A- to game designers) PACING: B+ OVERALL STYLE: B FLOW OF WORDS: B+/C+ CHOICE OF FOCUS: B+ TRANSITIONS/FLASHBACKS/POV: B COMPLEXITY OF WORDS/SYMBOLISM/THEMES: B-

OVERALL GRADE: B

HISTORY SETTING: Absolutely brilliant. Only problem is: the authors didn't do it. A host of game designers, who set it up for their RPG system, ran it countless times and then hired the writers to do it. So, the best I can give is a B to them.

OPPOSITION/MONSTERS: Done very well. The Dragonlords are all formidable and the dragons seem nearly invincible. For the most part, the adventurers must flee from them and it is only through other means that the dragons are driven off or slain. The means of escaping from the dragons was done quite well, for the most part, except where (CENSORED)

DIALOGUE: I have to say this is where the DRAGONLANCE TRILOGY is weak. Most of it is above average or even pretty good. But some of it is mediocre and a few parts are downright horrible. Too many 20th century phrases used like "sure" and some are overused

PACING: Done very well. These writers know their structure and keep a lot of surprises tossing about. For the most part, the story never lets up. Weis and Hickman are very good at being sure to constantly place lots of surprises, as well as wonders in this tantalizing world.

EMOTIONAL IMPACT: I have to say that even though some of the characters were cheesy or stilted, the story made up for it with its structure, sense of wonder and pacing. As I said above, a richly textured tapestry.

CHARACTERS: Okay, this is where the trilogy gets slammed and good. (CENSORED)

CONCEPT: The concept was already marketed in DRAGON magazine a couple of years before the trilogy came out. So, in a sense, part of their customer basis was primmed up for this series. Book trilogy does an excellent job of incorporating the Krynn milieu into an AD&D world. Characters are not complex and some of them are stilted or stodgy. However, most of the latter are typical stereotypes that we are sometimes willing to accept. Also, this writing style seems to have been centered on high school ages; fairly simple with some complexities. Simple humor that sometimes got a chuckle out of me. Overall, this series did very well. Main reasons I can see for this is: (1) DRAGON, DUNGEON and TSR fanbase; (2) a superb design of the setting and History by the game creators; (3) lots of surprises and twists; (4) a well encompassed adventuring group (quite a challenge for any writer and I believe these two were just starting out) in which there were at least a few who any reader would love; (5) big epic scale with wonder and magic; (6) focused marketing by TSR (in other words, they did the marketing, not some other publisher who wouldn't have been as passionate).

GRADE REASON: Mostly shown above. But to reiterate, the story did a very good to great job on its History, pacing, surprises and narrative structure. Story was lacking in character and dialogue, as well as with the emotional feeling of the antagonists, so that brought it down to a B grade at the cusp. Overall, I'd recommend this book but warn that it's written at a sophomoric level.
Profile Image for David Beavers.
11 reviews15 followers
February 2, 2008
This review isn't for the special edition (which I didn't know existed) per se, it's just a convenient way to review all 3 of the books in this series . . . this marvelous series, which I read when I was probably 15 or 16, and which is a really wonderful piece of fantasy storytelling. If you like that sort of thing, I can't recommend Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman's work enough: they're brilliant storytellers, and they invest the Dragonlance fantasy world with a darkness, wit, and gravity that's equal to the best of fantasy writing, anywhere. I can't really understate the effect this series (along with the Dragonlance: Legends trilogy, of course) had on my teenaged imagination.

There's one note I should make about the Dragonlance books: A while back, I was discussing the series with two of my friends. I consider these two friends to be two of the most well-read humans on the planet; they're two of the biggest literary nerds I have ever known, or could imagine knowing. The three of us agreed -- without any trace of irony -- that Raistalin, from this Dragonlance series, is one of the best characters in literature.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

We're talking about a short list that probably includes Stephen Dedalus, Hamlet, Patrick Bateman, and Clarrisa Dalloway. And now, Raistalin, a dark wizard who's pupils have turned into hourglasses, because the entropic nature of the universe has been revealed to him, and he sees everything in a state of constant decay & death.

Can I get an amen?? Can I get a hallelujah ???? Thank you.
Profile Image for A. Dawes.
186 reviews55 followers
August 20, 2016
Read this trilogy when I was 13 and really enjoyed it at the time - not as much as Stephen Donaldson or Terry Brooks or even Weis & Hickman's other series: The Rose of the Prophet, and The Darksword Trilogy. Having said that, I liked it a lot more than Eddings's series.

The Dragonlance Chronicles suit those after a Tolkienesque world but one more accessible like Terry Brooks'. I'd recommend the trilogy for fantasy lovers and D& D fans and also young adult readers. I'm glad that the trilogy had me ripping through the pages as a young teenager -it added to my love of reading.

Would I enjoy it now as an adult? Well, no, but I'm not the target audience any longer. But I am revelling in the more adult historical fantasy equivalents by contemporary writers such as George RR Martin and Joe Abercrombie - and Dragonlance certainly played an influential role in leading me later on in life to these works, and for that I'm eternally grateful.
Profile Image for Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨.
1,076 reviews635 followers
July 7, 2017
*Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge*
**A Trilogy**

I first read this series when I was just around 10 years old. This was just after I had finished Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. In my mind, these works and Dragonlance included will always be the epitome of classical fantasy. No matter how many times I read this, I'll always tear up or laugh at certain things. This is, as I see it, as good as fantasy gets.
Profile Image for Monsour.
477 reviews32 followers
February 24, 2017
Raistlin: Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it.

Tannis: Are you saying we shouldn't hope?

Raistlin: I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open..T_T

Yup...yup. Best conversation of characters in a high fantasy setting.EVER!!
The best fantasy book series i've ever read.
104 reviews2 followers
July 15, 2013
I tried reading these once when I was younger and never finished them. They show up on lists of great fantasy series all the time, though, so I tried again. I made it through them this time, but barely: they are really not good.

The writers use as their framework the "alignment" concept from the Dungeons and Dragons manual: the tic tac toe grid of lawful / neutral / chaotic and good / neutral / evil. Each character inhabits one of the boxes in that grid, and that is the extent of their characterization. Each character is also one of that manual's races and classes: there's a big dumb neutral good fighter and a noble lawful good paladin and a shady chaotic neutral mage and so on. They never move from those boxes or grow as characters. The plot is "evil power wants to take over the world and only a small group of adventurers can stop them" paint by numbers fantasy.

It's just a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, written down. I'd read a plot point and think, "Oh, that character must've rolled a nineteen on their saving throw against magic." I suppose, if you really like tabletop gaming, this is right up your alley. But it is not well-written, and all it really has going for it is the interplay and conflict between the various cookie-cutter characters. It's not meant for anyone but true believers.
Profile Image for Stefan Yates.
220 reviews51 followers
December 12, 2017
Classic literature means different things to different people. While the Dragonlance Chronicles will most probably never be considered in the canon of classic literature, it has an important place in molding how we perceive the genre of fantasy today. Tolkien will always reign supreme as the father of modern fantasy. His works set the standards for much of what was to follow in the genre and they managed to break the barrier between fantasy and classic literature. What Dragonlance did for the genre is to move fantasy into the mainstream public eye. I wouldn't necessarily say that Dragonlance is a part of the foundation of modern fantasy, but I would consider Dragonlance (especially the Dragonlance Chronicles) to be a keystone in the gateway to the popularity of fantasy in modern culture today.

The late 70s and early 80s were a tough time for D&D gamers. Controversy about the game was rampant and it was associated with satanism and other negative images by many people who simply did not understand the game. The Dragonlance Chronicles were the first novels released by TSR. These books brought the magic of a Dungeons & Dragons campaign to the masses in a way that introduced people to the genre without them realizing that what they were reading was a stylized version of actual D&D gaming.

I think that what stood out most to me was that these books were no longer tucked away in the back corner of my favorite Walden Books or B. Dalton Booksellers in the mall. I discovered them in a full-fledged display at the front of the store near the register. I admit, I was a little late to the party, the display was advertising the release of Dragons of Spring Dawning, but it was displaying all three books of the Chronicles in their splendid glory. Thick paperback novels with spectacular cover art by Clyde Caldwell that begged the adolescent me to pick them up and find out what exactly they were about. Within seconds, I was asking my dad if I could get the first one of the series and I was hooked from there.

Looking back on it now, the marketing of these novels was brilliant. The artwork, stylized Dragonlance logo and fact that the only mention to Dungeons & Dragons was in a small blurb at the bottom of the back cover (to let those not in the know in on who the heck TSR was) were all brilliant moves in my opinion. All this led to a huge franchise, with many authors who contributed along the way, calendars, merchandise and even a film (although I cringe to mention it.) What it also led to were many other franchises of novels from TSR: The Greyhawk Adventures, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and many other fantasy settings saw runs of novels. I also feel that the impact outside of TSR extended throughout the genre and led the way to the popularity of fantasy that we see in fiction, film and television (and almost every aspect of merchandising imaginable) that we enjoy today. When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, fantasy films were few and far between for someone who was enthralled by the genre. We had the Conan films, Beastmaster, Dragonslayer and several other films that, while usually campy, served as the staple for encouraging game play and our hopes for future films. Now, fantasy is everywhere in film and television and I feel that a big part of that is due to the popularity of the original Dragonlance Chronicles.

In regards to the novels themselves, I feel that they are well written, enjoyable pieces of fantasy fiction that really take the reader along with them on their journey. The real strengths of the novel are the beloved characters that are developed throughout the series. These characters became both our heroes and our friends and we truly mourned when one of them was taken from us. The adventures in these novels are exciting and fun and the stories move quickly with rarely a dull moment to be found. I highly recommend this series for fans of the fantasy genre. They are written in a style that is appealing for almost any age and are a good entry point for those who haven't read much fantasy and are interested in getting into the genre.
Profile Image for Brad.
Author 2 books1,688 followers
January 1, 2012
This review was written in the late nineties (just for myself), and it was buried in amongst my things until today, when I uncovered the journal it was written in. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets indicate some additional information for the sake of readability). It is one of my lost reviews.

An epic fantasy of Tolkien-like scope?! Sounds good for a novel's back cover, doesn't it? But it is almost true with the Dragonlance Chronicles. Almost.

The key to that "almost" is the characters (cause there's no way it could be the prose). I'll begin with the character I hate, Tanis Half-Elven. He is the weakest link in the novel, yet he's the novel's chief protagonist. His apparent depth comes from his duality and its manifestation in his love for Kitiara and Laurana, but who cares? The other characters are much, much better. Laurana, Flint, Gilthanis, Alhana, Tika, Fizban, Tasslehoff, Caramon and Raistlin are all superior to the Chronicles' hero. And the last two are even better in their own series.

But the character who is the true Hero of the Lance is Sturm Brightblade. He is the best character that Weis & Hickman created because his tale is complete. He is complex without being cliché; he loves his honour, his destiny and Alahana, and he fights to fulfil all three right to the end. He is a straight-up, no-joke hero, and I love him -- which shocks me, to be honest. Sturm Brightblade. The Black Rose. A hero I love. Go figure.
Profile Image for Wallace.
21 reviews5 followers
December 4, 2013
I read this book, technically three books, when I was about 12 years old. It was the first 1,000 page+ book I ever read, and I adored it. I wept when one of the characters died. I gasped when a plot twist was revealed. I was, as you may guess, the target audience. I don't know how well the book would stand up today. It is certainly better than a lot of the fantasy books I've read. Raistlin is a wonderful character. The growth of the mage over the three books was terrific. You were watching him gain more and more power, but you weren't too sure if that was a good thing or not. Very clever. Most of the characters had depth and the story wasn't too predictable (for a 12 year-old). That's actually pretty rare for this genre. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes this kind of fantasy. It delivers the goods you want.

However, it might seem dated by know, and it's entirely possible that only young readers will get the full effect. I don't know. I recently tried to find my old copy, but I've lost it in the twenty-plus years. I am tempted to buy another copy and give it a go. If I do, I'll certainly update this review.
Profile Image for St-Michel.
111 reviews
January 20, 2008
OH GOD!!! This thing sucked!!!!

Ok, now understanding the background behind this book, I have to relax on certain qualms - the main one being how it reads like a RPG transcript, basically because it IS an RPG transcript. So, that's fine, and personally, Hickman and Weis did a bang-up job of presenting it as such.

SPOILER!!
Now, that aside, I think the book started great and through most of the first book, was pretty good, until people starting dying. This is where I started becoming so angry that I just wanted to throw it through the TV and light it on fire. No, I didn't have a problem with the characters dying - I think all characters should be vulnerable and, to a degree, somewhat expendable whether they're important or not. It's my problem with living - NOBODY DIES!!! WTF!?!? Yes, some die - but then, wait...they don't, well, they did, but they're alive!? OH MY GOD!!! If yr going to kill them, then kill them! Be the heartless bastard for a writer for once and quit bring them back to life - not everything is peaches and rainbows.

This is one of my biggest problems and perceived inherent flaws with the fantasy genre, the amount of authors who create an overabundance and overuse of magic and artifacts that always seem to fall into the hero's hands, practically making them invulnerable to everything. This kind of power makes for a boring story real fast no matter how much action is involved, because it quickly becomes way too predictable: good triumphs, evil looses...every single fucking time. Give me a break.

One of my other big issues with this book it that it just seems to be marred with loopholes and plot failures. Time and time again I would say to myself "What!? According to a couple chapters ago, this would deem impossible and/or highly unlikely!" It only got worse as the books wore on. How I made it through the second book, I don't know, and by the time I got to the third book, I just wanted to get the thing over with and ploughed through it as fast as I could.

In my eyes, this book has achieved an all-time record: as much as I hate Terry Brooks and his writing and can rant endlessly about how atrocious his stuff is. This piece of garbage actually pissed me off all the more. I have never had a book raise such a hellfire within me, to literally want to destoy it everytime I picked it up. I did everything I could to finish this as quick as possible as I did not want to be stuck, boiling away over this...this...thing.

In the end, my own envisionment of Hell would now be to have to read this thing 24/7 for the rest of my life...it's that bad.
Profile Image for Mike (the Paladin).
3,145 reviews1,815 followers
September 14, 2013
I actually came across these books seeking something to interest my son in reading. He had up to that point been uninterested in books and we're a familly of readers. I was concerned.

But, using the wisdom of all good parents (get him something that is totally without merit and has no educational value) I introduced him to the Dragon Lance books (I'd discovered Dungeons and Dragons in 1978) and since I got them for my son I read them to.

Ever played D&D? These are pretty much the same experience...a group of friends struggling from adventure to adventure that eventually tie together into an overall story. Not bad, fun, you lose some of the characters along the way. They do grow and develop. The books are really quite enjoyable, so, enjoy.
Profile Image for Simon.
560 reviews228 followers
February 28, 2011
When I was 13 and I read this, it blew me away. I loved every minute of it. Despite these fond memories, that does not prevent me from recognising that this was deeply formulaic fantasy trash that unashamedly revelled in rehashing all the well worn cliches of the genre. Hence my three star rating. My rating at the age of 13 would have been five stars. If I had read it for the first time now, I would probably have given it one star.
Profile Image for Uve.
140 reviews
January 26, 2014
El retorno de los dragones me costó un poco al principio meterme en otro mundo de fantasia pero una vez conoces a los personajes me enganchó muhisimo. La tumba de Huma fue alucinante un 5 para él. El desenlace me dejó totalmente descolocada... que ayer despues de una noche d lectura todavia no habia asimilado... vamos que pasan cosas que no esperaba para nada y eso siempre es bienvenido.
Profile Image for Henrik.
Author 7 books40 followers
December 20, 2016
It hasn't aged well. Far from as good as I thought in my younger days but still, here and there there are some noteworthy scenes. The scenes of loss are particularly well written, in my opinion. In the end 3 stars, in part because of nostalgia.
Profile Image for Michael.
291 reviews5 followers
July 31, 2021
Was great revisiting this trilogy and the world of Dragonlance. Will always be special as me and my brother who passed away a few years ago read so much of this series as kids and teens. Look forward to revisiting this world more going forward.
Profile Image for Vel Veeter.
3,625 reviews38 followers
Read
April 3, 2023
When I was a kid we ordered a subscription to Nintendo Power. This would have been something like 1990. This was a big coups in my family as it was always seen as a little bit superfluous to play Nintendo as much as we did….or Sega Genesis…or etc etc. Although I do recall my mom being on the phone with Nintendo customer support to figure out why our console was dying and the various, inevitably futile ways in which we worked against the dying of our Nintendo’s light.

Anyway, this subscription came with a copy of Dragon Warrior, the US localized version of Dragon Quest 1. In addition, it came with a full world map, a compendium of the enemies, and a level-up guide with weapon and armor suggestions. The game itself only takes a couple of hours to play and it’s basically a grinding game based in fetch quests with almost no story. It’s so simplistic at times that watching a speed-run of the game is watching someone who knows the random number generator so well, they skate through with barely any leveling. But it taught me how to play and love RPGs in video games. A love that, while it has waned as I got older, still has a lot of power over me to this day, including the fact that I will replay Dragon Warrior still every once in a while.

This book series works in almost the same ways. It’s such a by-the-book, table-top derived, mass produced and cheap series of novels that sometimes it’s embarrassing how much I still love it. I can’t even rate it because I know it’s objectively bad, but I love it.

But it taught me how to read fantasy novels. I know how to look at the world-building, to follow the logic of the magic, the creatures, the powers, the map, and all kinds of other factor that go into a lot of fantasy books. I read and reread this book a half dozen times in my youth before I even knew that Lord of the Rings existed. Something that remains a curiosity to me because I read The Hobbit about 10 times as a kid and never knew there was more to that series until well into high school.

So this series works this way: Tropes!

There’s elves that are just LOTR elves (forest and mountain, ooh!), there’s dwarves same as LOTR. There’s two races that kind of split the difference between Hobbits. There’s dragons, and goblins, and a limited number of wizards (oh wait, mages), and there’s plainsfolk….hrrrm Rohirrm? And Northern knights whose order has mostly died out….cough cough Dunedain cough cough.

And there’s a weapon of ages that has dramatic consequences on the current plight. There’s a mythical figure who took down those old foes. All that.

The first book is about the reuniting of a band of friends at a tavern built into a tree. Pretty cool. The companions are as follows:

Tanis Half-Elven (guess his deal — oh right, half elf half human….not unlike one Aragorn [who I KNOW is not a half elf, but does live among them]); the dwarf Flint Fireforge (which, I get it dwarves’ are known for making things, but this is a little on the nose, right?); Tasslehoff Burrfoot, 1/2 Hobbit — a trickster type character; Sturm, a fancy knight; Caramon, a big ole fella, presumably played by Jason Momoa; Raistlin, a mage and his brother; Riverwind and Goldmoon, “plainsmen” and definitely NOT white Native Americans, right?; and the curiously missing Kitiara, a sellsword and sister to the twins.

So the result of all this is a basic grail quest mixed with a good versus evil world-rending battle. It’s oddly compelling, and almost entirely action, and so derivative of Lord of the Rings it’s almost shameful at times. There’s zero character building — oh Tanis is a reluctant hero? The Dwarf is grumpy? It’s oddly chaste and not funny.

But I keep returning to the fact that this is the series of books who helped me understand these kinds of fantasy tropes and because it was beloved when I was a kid, I can’t get away from it.

It does leave me in a funny place in terms of whether or not I would consider recommending it to someone (not to adults) but I do teach high school and it’s a pretty low risk, high reward set of texts. I’m left in a kind of void regarding these books.

But I have a plan. So there’s another trilogy that’s also the “core” of the Dragonlance series and I found a free copy of the first of those books. And they’re the same authors and the same time period (mid-80s). So I will get back to you!
Profile Image for Efaki.
1 review4 followers
July 17, 2013
My first-look impression of this enormous trilogy, when presented to me by a friend, was exactly this :

^"What the f...? How am I supposed to read all this!!!"...^

And then it began.

At first, I have to say, I lived the experience of AD&D myself. Reading something that some other DM has written was kinda strange for me. The reason was that I didn't feel that it would be the same reading someone else's story, I 'd much rather live it through my DM. But then I started reading.

The first book "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" was kinda slow in the beginning. I thought that my first impression was right. Too many names and locations and all the action was taking place rather fast. I was not used to it, I like the version of D&D sessions that ACTUALLY the character develops him/herself through the story. There was too much information in the first chapters, too much blahblah and less character development. But I enjoyed the action, I have to admit. My sessions were not so dramatic and active as were in this book. I started enjoying the reading.

Then the second book "Dragons of Winter night". I used to take it with me in my workplace. It began more fascinating, the plot was getting more serious and dramatic and I had the chance, finally, to see the characters develop. I literally finished the book in 2 weeks. And, luckily for me, there was MORE.

The third book "Dragons of Spring Dawning", was something different. The characters experienced their inner dramatic conflicts and, at last, they "build characters". Through losses of friendly faces, the whole story grew more tragic, but the action was good. The only problem was that it's so much different when you read an action scene than living it through your D&D character. I kinda missed strong action scenes and I really didn't miss soap-opera scenes.

The whole trilogy is, in general, easy-to-read, with good action scenes, but, to speak the truth, if someone has played D&D before, something is missing. Maybe, for D&D players, the thrill to develop their character and live through the story. My rating is for the three books of Dragonlance Chronicles and the ideas for characters they gave me for my future D&D sessions.

8 reviews1 follower
June 26, 2009
Okay, let's start by clarifying that these books are not literature, even though there's a whole generation of Xers (Gen-Xers) who would claim otherwise because many of them were coming of age reading these novels.

I owned my copies from the time I was about 22, but never read them all the way through until I was closer to 35. They came off as pulpy, silly, cheap and badly written in many ways. The characters were beyond even decent graphic novel caliber in their exaggerated, stereotyped behavior and imagery. The plot itself was juvenile, not well structured or paced (though admittedly, basing the whole thing on an original game of D&D was, at the time, unique and courageous), and the narrative tone was horribly cliche.

Enough bashing. If you pick these books up without expecting anything great, you can easily fall in love with at least a couple of these characters. It may be precisely BECAUSE they are so badly stereotypical that you feel comfortable and happy going along on their Saturday morning adventures. The stuff on these pages is taken straight out of a long night of gaming around a table, rolling dice and chugging Dew, and for those of us now in middle age, it brings back a feeling of being a teen again, enjoying RPGs when there were no other options, no online WOW crap, nothing but you, the dice, some graph paper and your imagination. So when you can't find a bunch of other old Gygaxians to help you crack open a 30-year-old non 4.0 module, these books can take you there, so enjoy.
Profile Image for Agus Gumpert .
260 reviews62 followers
November 17, 2019
Primer libro de verdad que leí de fantasía medieval con unos 12 o 13 años, varios años antes de leer El Señor de los Anillos y, para mí, este es mejor. Si, acuchilladme pero, en mi opinión, mejora el mundo creado por Tolkien. Mejor en cuanto a ritmo y sin tantas descripciones infinitas, mejor en cuanto a la acción de las aventuras, mejor en cuanto a carisma de los personajes, algunos de ellos inolvidables pese al pase de los años, etc.
Leído en mi temprana adolescencia y releído de nuevo sobre los 2o años, vez que la disfruté infinitamente más. Me parece un imprescindible de la fantasía medieval, uno de los pilares de este género y con unos personajes cuidados de forma excelente. Es posible que para los muy curtidos en este género les parezca simple, llena de clichés e incluso en ocasiones algo infantil, pero si buscas aventuras, no te van a faltar.
Además, la forma de narrar las escenas con 9 u 11 personajes simultaneamente es fabulosa, no pierdes ni un solo detalle de todo lo que está ocurriendo. Te reirás a carcajadas con Tasslehoff y Flint, se te quedará el culo apretado con Raistlin, se te desencajará la mandíbula de asombro con Caramon y sentirás la fuerza del honor con Sturm Brightblade, entre otros personajes.
Un 5/5 para cada uno de los tomos de esta trilogía.

¡Nos leemos!
Profile Image for Cassie Shook.
17 reviews22 followers
July 31, 2008
This is a book my brother gave me when we were kids, and I found it recently on a bookshelf at my parents house. I was looking for a totally fantastical fantasy story, so I decided to read it again.

I LOVE IT. If you're looking for a book to read that takes you completely out of the current reality (and you love reading about Elves and Dragons and Dwarfs etc), read this. I've been working on it as my bedtime reading for a month or so now, and more than once have I ended up staying up til 4 or 5 in the morning, not able to stop turning the pages. A relatively easy read (although, they get really creative with some names), but very long.
Profile Image for Isaac Jourden.
Author 2 books31 followers
March 24, 2016
I notice a lot of these reviews aren't specifically about the annotated version of the Dragonlance Chronicles. This short review is specifically about that.

If it's your first time reading Dragonlance Chronicles, don't get the annotated version. It gives away a lot of spoilers and really changes the flow of the reading as well.

But if you're the target demographic for the Annotated Chronicles (someone who read the Chronicles, enjoyed them, and wants to know what authors were thinking and learn more trivia), then this book is most definitely five stars. There are times I crack it open just to read the notes. Definitely worth picking up.
Profile Image for Tanis Half-Blacky.
2 reviews1 follower
August 8, 2010
Once you start with this magnificent Trilogy, you will want more and more! The epic novels by Weis and Hickman provide the readers with stories about friendship, love, war, and how different races struggle together for survival. I really recommend readers to start with the Chronicles and find out the great world behind its pages. Enjoy :)
Profile Image for Wendy.
2 reviews
March 9, 2009
This is the series that started me on Fantasy - well, that is... after Lord of the Rings (of course!!!)
Profile Image for Taddow.
613 reviews5 followers
July 31, 2013
Haven't read this series in so long, I decided to pull it off the shelf, dust it off and re-read one of the best fantasy sagas.
Profile Image for Jessica.
25 reviews9 followers
May 3, 2014
These are the best fantasy books I have ever read. They made me fall in love with fantasy. They have a little bit off everything and two of my favorite book characters, Raistlin and Tas.
Profile Image for Meldelen.
244 reviews21 followers
March 7, 2020
Han pasado muchos años desde la primera vez que leí las Crónicas de la Dragonlance, recomendadas por un amigo al saber que me había gustado mucho leer a Tolkien. Aunque no es comparable, fue una experiencia increíble que definitivamente asentó mi gusto por el género y también, por la escritura. He ido releyendo la trilogía cada pocos años y ésta es la primera vez que lo hago en la edición numerada 20 aniversario, que fue un total acierto conseguir. Con el paso del tiempo y una que se va haciendo adulta, sobre todo al leer reviews de otros fans que han seguido también el curso de los años, podrías pensar que la historia, o los personajes, han perdido el encanto que tenían en tu adolescencia. O que donde veías mucho, ha quedado poco.
Me sorprende gratamente descubrir que no ha sido así. Hasta diría que han ganado, ahora que pueden leerse las Crónicas desde una edición anotada por los autores. No sólo no han perdido su original lustre, sino que siguen siendo la entrañable y bien construida historia que me ayudaba a pasar las noches de insomnio.
La premisa desde la cual parte la historia no podía ser más simple: una estructura siguiendo el modelo del juego de rol de Dungeons&Dragons. Un grupo de diferentes héroes, pertenecientes a diferentes razas y con diferentes habilidades, que parten en busca de una respuesta para la invasión maligna que acecha a su mundo, y que van cambiando y evolucionando según los acontecimientos.
Se ha criticado esta historia por estar conformada de clichés, estereotipos tanto a nivel de personajes, como de diálogos. Siendo esto verdad, hay que valorar y respetar la habilidad de los autores tanto en la construcción del mundo de Krynn - tarea nada sencilla - como de la caracterización de los personajes, unos mejores que otros, pero al final todos contribuyendo a la trama de una forma más relevante que otra.
¿Sus puntos fuertes? La gran diversidad de personalidades. Lejos de ser totalmente planos, muchos personajes resultan complejos, cometen errores, se confunden y se pierden, se exaltan y se arrepienten, sufren y se alegran. La moraleja de la historia, que el mal se vuelve contra sí mismo pero que del mismo modo que un reino absoluto del Mal sería condenable, también lo sería el triunfo estereotipado del Bien. El racismo, tratado en el odio entre naciones que son incapaces de unirse contra un enemigo común. Los códigos de honor vacíos y las reglas asfixiantes que de nada sirven si sólo son de boca y no se aplican a la vida - os estoy mirando, Caballeros de Solamnia -; o cómo el desmedido abuso de poder o de ambiciones contribuyen más a la destrucción personal que a la felicidad.
Sí, seguramente esto está muy trillado hoy en día, pero no deja de ser una saga de finales de los 80, principios de los 90, y en comparación con la fantasía young adult de hoy en día, esto es calidad. Está bien escrito, está bien construido, y sobre todo, sirve a su causa: entretenimiento y evasión. Y que es muy fácil empatizar y cogerle cariño a estos personajes y a sus motivaciones. Hasta el kender, que hasta hace nada me sacaba de las casillas, empieza a gustarme y todo.
Margaret y Tracy han escrito una historia estupenda, que nunca me cansaré de recomendar a los amantes del género. Y que sólo por ese personaje atormentado, retorcido y sociópata llamado Raistlin Majere, ya vale la pena aunque todo lo demás te dé igual.
Y agárrate ahora que viene curva. Porque toca leer la siguiente trilogía: las Leyendas. Y si no sabes de qué estoy hablando es que no has tenido infancia.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 554 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.