Start by marking “The New Pastor (Bethel Community #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Pastor (Bethel Community #1)

The New Pastor

(Bethel Community #1)

Perennial student Elliot James has racked up many degrees and is contemplating another to continue postponing life.

When his roommate forced Elliot to find a job, he applied for the secretarial position at Bethel Community Church. But, in a case of mistaken identity, the ranking church officer thought Elliot was the perfect candidate for the open pastoral positi
Published July 22nd 2015 by Red Candle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The New Pastor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Pastor

Start your review of The New Pastor (Bethel Community #1)
R.J. Rodda
3.5

I quite enjoyed the storyline of this book which features an unqualified unemployed man becoming the pastor of a church through a case of mistaken identity and subsequent outright deception. He proceeds to revitalise the church until his lies come to light.

This held my interest throughout, from the first supermarket incident (way to get a woman off-side) to the final surprise meeting at church. I also quite liked reading about African-American church culture of which, as an Austr
Arlena
Rating: Four
Review:

"The New Pastor" by Sherman Cox

My Rationalization:

Now, this was one of those Christian fiction reads that will have you shaking your head. It was hard for me to think of someone becoming a pastor by accident? And was this due to Elliot James needing the money and a place to stay? This i
Stanjay Daniels
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A guy accidently falls into the role as pastor to a struggling church. Such a good story because even though he wasn't looking to be in that role initially, he learned to do the job and made a difference in the lives of his congregation. The only reason this book didn't get 5 stars was because of the numerous typos.
Ellowyn
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a book by this author and this book was great. I love the story it was a quick read with a little drama, romance and dealings with church folk. There were a few typos other than that it would have been a 5 star read. I am looking forward to reading more books from this author.
Tanisha Stewart
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I originally though that this book was going to be corny, honestly. But as I read, I fell in love with the story as well as the main character. I think that the author perfectly illustrated a story of a person who went through the process of finding God’s call for his life, and went for it. It also highlighted the fact that there are many in the body of Christ who truly do have a heart for ministry and are not just “in it for the money”, or full of ulterior motives.

I truly enjoyed th
Mary
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The story has good themes, Elliot like a fish with no water. Sometimes we do not know what our calling is, God leads, Roman's 8:28. God can guide anyone to serve Him. The wrong guy may not b in our future. Individual accolades are shown for what they are. I am looking forward to reading the next installments of "Bethel Community"
Tywanda Brown-Johnson
Excellent Read

I gave this book 5 stars because there was no grammatical errors throughout the story and the story line was very well written.
I loved thr growth shown from main character Elliott James throughout the story. This was an excellent read and i recommend this book.
Valerie L. Fields
Good Book. It kept my attention.
WILLIAM C KOFFKE
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angel Graham
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not a one of the characters is likable or has any redeeming qualities. For being a Christian Fiction, God pretty much got left out of it.
Kaylyn
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
If I had stopped reading at page 162 I would have said "The New Pastor," by Sherman Cox, is the best new book I have read this year. But, the editing/printing mistakes from there to the end were so horrendous I could not focus on the story. This was not an ARC but a finished edition. I'm not exaggerating in stating it appears the manuscript was not proofed, at all, from page 163 to the end. At times it even appeared to be a first draft.
Example: Page 176.
Elliot found a small studio. Jeremy
Danielle
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I didn't have high hopes for Elliott when I started reading this book. And they didn't get any higher after he lied about his identity and became the pastor of bethel. He started out only wanting the job because of the pay but he layer realized his potential and that maybe becoming a pastor wasn't such a bad idea. I look forward to seeing where God will lead him after seminary school and through his relationship with sheresse.
Janet F. Nichols
Relatable Book

The rating I gave this book is because I saw me in parts of this book. Being a member of a church in this day and age of when people use there position and authority to belittle and hurt people by thoughts and actions. This book gives me the opportunity to continue to do what God wants me to be.

Dee Senford
This was an ok book

This was an ok book I liked the people in them especial minister Aaron he made me laugh the book ended very strange I wanted to know what happened to interim David and how did Tanya become his fiance Tec and will there be a second one to this?
Lisa Jones
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

I really enjoyed the storyline. It showed each character's individuality as it sometimes happens in the real church. Would have given it a 5 star rating but it could stand more editing.
Cyndi Williams
I hope this is a series. Really enjoyed it. Different than your normal "church drama" book.
Joi Boyd
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good book. Can't wait to read the rest of this series...
Happy Reading
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great

It kept me turning pages. It was well written with just enough excitement to keep your interest without being cliché
Latanya
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read!

This is my first book by this author. I really enjoyed it Nd look forward to reading the next one very soon!!!
Val
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story

The New Pastor was a easy read and I believe it's meant to show people how God can turn things around inn your life. Can't wait to read book 2.
Karen
Jan 01, 2016 added it
This was my first time reading a book by this author. I enjoyed the story; romance, drama, and church folk. God uses all people for the good. A few editing issues.
Howard S. Cherry
Holly L Harris
Nov 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• My Boyfriend's Wife
  • Never Gonna Be the Same: (A Christian Fiction Novel)
  • Caramel Kisses (The Candy Beach Series Book 0)
  • The Pastor's Husband
  • Harry the Happy Mouse
  • Church Secrets
  • The Pastor's Sins (Pastor's Sins Revealed Book 1)
  • Claiming His Heart (Nox Bay Pack, #3)
  • Fight for the Wounded Warrior (Bareknuckle Fighters #2)
  • The Secrets They Kept (Hidden Secrets Series Book 1)
  • Ravaged Bond (War-Torn Omegas #2)
  • Omega's Secret Crush (Omegas Under Siege, #1)
  • Loving Luke (Cookies and Kisses)
  • Practical Skills in Biomolecular Sciences
  • The Minister and the Rock Star (Collins Avenue Confidential, #4)
  • Fighting For Our Lives: A memoir: The raw true story of one mother's fight for life for her and her baby
  • The Quiet Place: Daily Devotional Readings