Start by marking “The Art of Starving” as Want to Read:
The Art of Starving

The Art of Starving

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
More Happy Than Not meets Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future in this gritty, contemporary YA debut about a bullied gay teen boy with an eating disorder who believes he’s developed super powers via starvation.

Matt hasn’t eaten in days.

His stomach stabs and twists inside, pleading for a meal. But Matt won’t give in. The hunger clears his mind, keeps him sharp—and he needs
Published July 11th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Starving, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Julie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dan The main character, Matt, certainly has an ironic sense of humor and an ironic voice.

The title means Art almost the same way as Sun Tzu's The Art of…more

The title means Art almost the same way as Sun Tzu's The Art of War or martial arts like in movies where the arts are a bit supernatural. But it's important to know that the main character seems to have magical powers that he connects to his eating disorder. Mostly perceiving things that should be physically impossible. If speculative isn't your thing, then maybe be a little wary.

So saying, there's lots to love here. Lots of rage tempered with humor, and I personally thought the magical aspect added to the book. It allowed Miller to make explicit and physical emotions and conflicts that are usually locked up inside and invisible. All in the service of what is clearly a worthy effort by Miller to reach out to kids like he was with caring and honest understanding and hope to get them through the hard times.(less)

Emily May
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted desperately to tell him that I had very good hearing—because I was starving myself—because it gave me superpowers.

I cannot tell you how much I wanted to love this book. I've been pushing myself through for the past ten days. A YA novel about a gay teenage boy with an eating disorder seemed too good and important a premise for me not to like it. But, unfortunately, this book is up to its neck in bizarroland and I could not get into it.

There are some great discussions happening in The A
Roxane
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really interesting novel about a teenage boy with an eating disorder only he thinks that by starving he has super powers and he needs super powers so he can solve the mystery of his sister leaving town and otherwise hold his world together. The writing is great and the protagonist is really compelling. There is also a warm, complicated love story at the heart of this. I would have loved seeing more of that. I mostly wondered about the narrative frame which is the narrator creating a ma ...more
Larry H
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"My sin, my condition, is way worse. I choose not to eat because I am an enormous fat greasy disgusting creature that no one will ever feel attracted to. Now you can't see me, but if you could, you'd probably say what everyone else says. 'What are you talking about?' 'You are so skinny!'"

When Matt looks at himself in the mirror, he doesn't see the attractive young man that everyone else sees. He sees a grossly misshapen, grotesque freak, with red hair and bad skin. He sees the kid that his high
destiny ☠ howling libraries
"That's one of the more infuriating bugs in the human software. You can have two ideas that are total opposites and believe them both completely."

Since this is a book about eating disorders, I'll go ahead and warn that my review on its own could potentially be triggering. I'll add full content warnings for the book itself at the bottom of my review.

PLOT ➳➳
A lot of things are going wrong in Matt's life lately: his sister has gone missing, he's bullied relentlessly for being gay, he can't come out
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hunger was a pack of wolves, starving and mad, running through my bloodstream, gaunt ribs showing through mangy scabbed fur, fangs bared at every shadow.
Hunger pulled me out of bed after midnight, twisting my stomach like wringing out a wet towel, sinking savage talons into my skin and marionetting me: clothes on, socks off, down the hall, out the door, into the night.

Here's the thing: the writing here is outstanding. Despite my feelings on the plot, I cannot deny that the writing is something
Philip
EDIT: Winner of this year's Andre Norton (Nebula) award! Congrats, Mr. Miller.

3.5ish stars.

The blurb is fascinating and strange: "A bullied gay teen boy with an eating disorder believes he’s developed super powers via starvation." Who comes up with this stuff? The book itself almost lives up to the promise of the blurb.

YA is a very hit-or-miss genre for me, and its appeal largely depends on the main character of each book. Luckily, Matt is a great character. He's frustrating, occasionally irrita
Shaun Hutchinson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There were days when I was depressed when I would lay in bed for 20 hours with my eyes closed, and I began to believe I could see through my eyelids. I didn't know if it was echolocation or X-ray vision, but I believed. There were other days when I could cut myself, and the pain made me feel powerful. It didn't feel like I was bleeding out, but that I was bleeding in. I know that none of those things were true. I know that I couldn't see through my eyelids and that cutting didn't make me powerfu ...more
Kai
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt, 2017
"Being better isn't a battle that you fight and win. Feeling okay is a war, one that lasts your whole life and the only way to win is to keep on fighting."

Note: Seeing the lack of books featuring a male main character, or even a side character, who has an eating disorder, I’m so glad to finally read one that tackles this topic.

I’m having a hard time rating this. When I first heard of this book I was more than excited to read it. The summary sounded promising. A gay high school student who is bul

“Hunger makes you better. Smarter. Sharper.
I have learned this through practical experimentation.”

This was a YA contemporary/magical realism story about a boy who thought his eating disorder gave him super-powers.

Matt was quite a quirky character, and I liked how he was openly gay and unashamed about being who he was. I did feel sorry for him though that he had so much stuff going on in his life to deal
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars, mainly because I have absolutely no idea how I felt about this. I didn't enjoy it at all but... it was still a good book? How do I even explain this.

The Art of Starving is an incredibly raw book about eating disorders. It incorporates magical realism seamlessly into the plot. The writing style flows well. Emotion drips from the pages. Each character is developed and intriguing.

And yet... there's something missing here. Part of this must be the haphazard plot, with the protagonist ch
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars.

Initial post reading thoughts:

This is another one of those stories that I just need to think about a little longer before I can write any kind of decent review... This was definitely a strange one and there were a few things I liked and a few things I didn't.

What I Liked

The subject matter. My favourite type of contemporary novels are the ones that deal with more mature and serious themes. The Art Of Starving deals with the topic of eating disorders. What I liked abou
Trevor
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, apl, lgbtq, ya

Funny, intelligent & so, so important. Matt is not a likable MC; that's not the point. He's hungry for validation; for love: for answers; for self-acceptance. And it's an uncomfortable ride to get there. My favorite part is how Tariq broke up with Matt not because he has his own difficult journey of coming out in his own time, but because he cannot & will not stand around & witness Matt's self-sabotage. Even after the beginning of Matt's treatment, there is nothing but frie
Jay G
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Matt's life has been getting increasingly harder. His older sister Maya has run away from home, his mother might lose her job, he's constantly being bullied for being gay and has a crush on Tariq, the boy who might be responsible for Maya's disappearance. To top it all off, Matt is quickly developing an eating disorder. As Matt continues to stop eating, he awakens supernatural abilities
Cale Dietrich
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is one of my favourites of this year. It’s such a powerful, moving story, one that is beautifully written and is incredibly engrossing. This book was all I could think about when I was reading it, and I still think about the characters often. I really think this is a must read for fans of gay YA.
Paul
The Art of Starving is the debut novel from prolific short story writer Sam J. Miller and I've been looking forward to reading this since I found out he was publishing a novel. I absolutely love Miller's short fiction, especially Calved, one of my favorite stories of all time. In The Art of Starving, we get a gritty first-person narrative of a young gay teenager's struggle with an eating disorder(that he believes he doesn't have). This is going to be a highly polarizing book for many people and ...more
Kelly
This is a tough, but compelling, read about a gay boy's struggle with an eating disorder which leads him to believe he has super powers. Raw and real, the look inside Matt's brain is scary accurate for what it is that a mental illness can tell you -- and lead you to believe.

I've read a number of reviews suggesting this could be damaging, but there's no where in here that the message is that Matt LIKES having superpowers. It, in fact, is ruining his life over and over. And the big takeaway at th
Patrick Ropp
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sam's debut novel is absolutely haunting. Matt, an angry, sarcastic gay teen with an antagonistic relationship with his body, tries desperately to find out why his sister ran away from home. Filled with churning anxiety, hunger pains, angry love, and a newfound view of the space time continuum, this novel is a delight.
Lata
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story of a teen with an eating disorder who believes the disorder gives him superpowers that will help him find out why his older sister Maya ran off was well-written and disturbing.
-It felt strange and upsetting as Matt the main character described his many rationalizations for not eating. Male eating disorders definitely do not have the profile of female eating disorders, so it was really interesting to read about Matt's feelings.
-At the same time, Matt experiences his first love, which h
Kuzu
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listen... I loved this. I don't think it's perfect, but I loved it. I know that a lot of people are very concerned about the idea of an eating disorder giving the character special powers, and I can definitely see how this could be harmful, depending on where someone is in the recovery/control process. But to me, that's what it FELT like. That really was what it felt like and that's the feeling that I still reach for sometimes and this book cut me really deep. As soon as I finished it I felt lik ...more
Audrey Laurey
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about a gay teenager who thinks he develops superpowers through an eating disorder. I liked how progressive this book was in it's portrayal of a gay protagonist, with his sexuality not being the crux of the story. The self loathing started to wear on me towards the end. However, the ending completely redeemed it for me.
Dylan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg, this gave me mad we are the ants vibes. RTC.

4.5/5 stars
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
”In the hospital, and at the rehab center, I used to imagine Better was a place you could get to. A moment when I would look around and see that Everything Was Fine. But that’s not how this works. Being better isn’t a battle you fight and win. Feeling okay is a war one that lasts your whole life, and the only way to win is to keep on fighting.”

Actual rating: 2.5

This entire review is confusing to write. I enjoyed this book; in a sick way at points, and at others, the way you enjoy a good story.
Anne
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a very interesting read. On the surface it follows Matt, a sixteen-year-old boy with an eating disorder, family issues, and bullying because of his sexuality (as well as a couple of other things).

First of all, AMAZING title: "The Art of Starving." It drew me in immediately, combining two words that are seemingly opposites. It perfectly encompasses the mood of the novel, both romantic and bitter, party and brutality.

Moving on from that, I found the main character Matt an especially int
Maria
Oct 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
Right. Up. My. Alley.
Megan Baxter
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had different reactions to this book depending on where I was in it. For a while, in the middle, I was frustrated at the main character. Not necessarily at the author, but the main character was being such a clueless judgemental asshole that I found it hard to spend time with him, fictionally. I always felt like the author knew that, and was trying to dig deep into something to portray it, but while it was effective, it was also unpleasant.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
The Art of Starving is the first book that I have read about a boy with an eating disorder, which was what intrigued me about it at first. Matt, who is gay and anorexic, reflects the prevalence of eating disorders in the gay community, which was something that was really great to bring attention to I think what turned me off about this book a lot was the writing; I wasn't expecting magical realism to be so prevalent in this book.

Matt seemed so far removed from reality that I couldn't really con
Ilyse Kramer
Update:

My favorite thing about this book is what it says about boundaries in relationships. Tariq breaks up with Matt not because of his fears about being out, but because he can't bear to go down the road of bearing witness to Matt's anorexic self-destruction.

I really love their final scene where Tariq picks Matt up from therapy. It makes it clear that Tariq still cares about him, but has boundaries, they are still friends but their intimacy can go no further. And Matt reflects on how he can't
Christy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you know me, you know I stray away from books featuring mental illness. I chose to dive straight into The Art of Starving and was NOT disappointed.

Matt is hungry. Hungry for power. Hungry for acceptance and love. Hungry for food because he is starving himself. And through this hunger, Matt feels that he has developed superpowers. The power to hear more clearly, the power to pick up on unnoticeable scents, the power to read minds. If you've read about eating disorders, you may have noticed tha
Max
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raw and excellent.
Kathy
Trigger Warning (for the post and the book): Depression, self-harm, starvation, and eating disorder.

I've gone back and forth on whether or not to post this. Because maybe it's a bit too much. Because I'm running a book blog, for Christ's sake, and I doubt anyone signed up to read one of my sob stories. But The Art of Starving is a brutally honest, personal tale and I think it deserves nothing less than an honest and personal response.

There are some artists whose work I can only describe as som
Goodreads Librari...: my book attributed to another author! 3 149 May 19, 2016 06:36PM
Goodreads Author ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. My book attributed to another author 3 101 May 19, 2016 06:17PM
Sam J. Miller's debut novel The Art of Starving (HarperTeen), rooted in his own adolescent experience with an eating disorder, was one of NPR's Best Books of 2017. His second novel, Blackfish City (Ecco Press/USA; Orbit/UK) was an Entertainment Weekly "Must Read." A finalist for multiple Nebula Awards along with the World Fantasy and Locus and Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Awards, he has won the Shir ...more
More about Sam J. Miller

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“I used to imagine Better was a place you could get to. A moment when I would look around and see that Everything Was Fine. But that’s not how this works. Being better isn’t a battle you fight and win. Feeling okay is a war, one that lasts your whole life, and the only way to win is to keep on fighting.” 8 likes
“The greatest power comes from love, from knowing who you are and standing proudly in it.” 7 likes