Start by marking “Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance” as Want to Read:

Do your eyelids feel heavy during afternoon meetings? Do you sleep extra hours on weekend mornings? Do you use caffeine to stay alert? An alarm to get out of bed? These are all symptoms of sleep deficiency--signals that you are operating below your peak performance and beneath your mental capacity. Despite popular perceptions, sleep is not a luxury--it is a necessity. More ...more
Published December 9th 1998 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Power Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Sleep

JDK1962
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read up to the start of Chapter 5 in this book and just snapped. "Do you want to be alert, dynamic, and full of energy all day long? Be in a good mood? Be productive, creative, and capable of making good decisions?" YES, OF COURSE I F--KING WANT THOSE THINGS. I AM READING THIS F--KING BOOK. I AM 25% OF THE WAY THROUGH THIS BOOK AND YOU HAVE NOT YET STOPPED THE F--KING SALES PITCH! YOU ARE WASTING MY F--KING TIME!

Sorry for the all caps rant, but literally the first 25% of this book is NOTHING b
Ted
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is simple; quality, regularly scheduled sleep is important to your health, and most of us are neglecting it.

If you know about sleep already, this book might not be for you. Most of the information in it, I have already seen in another context. I was first introduced to the idea of Power Sleep at a guest lecture by the author. Interesting content, but like I said, if you know about basics of sleep, this book is going to be a snooze for you.

I was surprised by the amount of
Alaa
Apr 25, 2014 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Perhaps revolutionary in the late 90's when it was published, but over a decade later most of the information is common knowledge or could be summarized to a few bullet points in an online article.

It contained a bit of in-depth science on sleep with the brain waves and everything but besides that it's an easy read.

Wouldn't recommend purchasing decade old information that could just be googled tho.

--------------------

But besides that I could appreciate the amount of work, research, effort and t
Rebecca
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Detailed look at how and why we sleep, the consequences of sleep deprivation, and the metabolic processes that occur during sleep. I enjoyed learning this stuff, but I wish there had been more info on how to combat specific sleep problems. (It has a great chapter on shift workers. I'm glad I don't do that anymore.) At the very least this book will make you value sleep more.
David Schlack
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.0 - Power Sleep was very informative. I was disappointed in the fact the book didn't focus on the sleep and higher performance in sports. Picked up a few salient points about sleep that I will try to use. I may get myself checked out for sleep apnea. READ ON!
Sunni
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Doses of practical advice interspersed with professorial lectures built on anecdotes. Think qualitative, not quantitative.
Tom Greentree
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Older book, but very relevant. I read it in combo with Dr. Fung's book on fasting, which made for interesting interconnections (less food, more sleep, lol). Helpful.
Christie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Gained important and practical knowledge of how sleep works.

可以学到一些对睡眠质量的理解和如何提高睡眠质量的技巧。

读的是中文版本,叫做‘睡眠革命’。
Stephanie
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned a ton from reading this book, and I think it should be required reading for so many professionals and academics who believe "you can sleep when your dead" or that sleep is a "waste of time." The name is somewhat silly, but it is entirely to draw in the aforementioned crowd of people who truly believe they are somehow superior if they don't need much sleep. James Maas is an expert on sleep science and fills the book with a wealth of information and cited studies. I would highly recommen ...more
Nina
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Learn about the importance of getting enough sleep. After my Mom and Dad attended at talk by Dr. Maas they recommended I read this book. From it I was able to diagnose or suspect my husband had sleep apnea and get him to medical care and use of a CPAP machine which has probably saved and prolonged his life. The book also was fun to read and learn about how lack of sleep has contributed to many other events in history such the the oil spill of the Exon Valdez in Alaska.
John Nelson
Sleeping is one of the most important, yet most mysterious, activities people undertake. Most people do not get enough sleep, but do not understand how this shortcoming affects them. This book provides an overview of research on sleep (through 1998 or so, when the book was published), and discusses ways to get more and better sleep. On the whole, the book is a useful addition to one's "self-help" shelf.
Polly
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this book forever, since I did not have the chance to take Professor Maas' Pysch 101 course. Overall, good read-- very educational, and it makes you more aware of how many tasks you perform throughout the day in a drowsy state. It'd be nice to do all the tips suggested in the book, but seems nearly impossible given school/work demands...if only work would schedule in a nap time...
Benj
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Good book, though it read a bit too much like a self-help good (i guess it is a self-help book). Basic thesis is that USA is chronically underslept, and that certainly resonates for me. Good review of what sleep is and what we know about it scientifically, importance of alertness, and tips for improving sleep habits.
Nanny SA
Mengupas berbagai permasalahan tentang tidur, bagaimana belajar tentang kekuatan tidur, gangguan-gangguan tidur dan bagaimana mengatasinya.
Proses Tidur, Jika diberi waktu yang cukup dan lingkungan yang tepat , menghasilkan tenaga yang luar biasa. Memulihkan, meremajakan dan memberi energi tubuh dan otak.
Jadi pergunakan waktu tidur anda sebaik-baiknya !
Brian
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good information, I expected more somehow, buy learned a lot. Like we all need 10 hours sleep, run on a 25 hour daily cycle, need to get up at the scant time every day. If you are behind on your slee, don't sleep in, go to bed earlier the next night. Try to catch up on any sleep debts as soon as possible.
Linda
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by my doctor...and well worth the read. I've put so much energy in teaching my kids to sleep that it was nice to read so much information that confirms how important sleep is. I love the idea that getting to sleep in (what's that?) on the weekends is like only eating healthy two days a week. Great book with tons of info and tips!
Jacqueline
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Had come recommended from friends. A good reminder of the importance of sleep, but not as full of concrete useful information as I had hoped. Asserts the Golden Rules of Sleep:
1. Get an adequate amount of sleep every night.
2. Establish a regular sleep schedule.
3. Get continuous sleep.
4. Make up for lost sleep.
Roxanne
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I imagine that in 1998, when Maas published this book, the information was more revolutionary. Now, most of us know that sleep deprivation can be lethal, bedroom temperature matters, and an afternoon nap increases productivity. Maybe that general awareness is partly due to his efforts in the field. All the same, the book probably won't tell you much you don't already know.
Mikki
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I dislike the writing style used with most self-help books, but this one helped me figure out it was time to see a sleep specialist for my insomnia, and gave me some useful tips to relax and meditate before bed.
Ben Wood
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good overview of the importance of sleep, basic phases of sleep and why it is important. I especially liked the parts that explained sleep debt and how and when naps are good.
Katy Monnot
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very interesting book that explores both the science and history of sleep. I find myself quoting a lot of the information within to my husband who is guilty of not sleeping nearly enough!
Michael
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A practical guide to better sleep; one of the best available.
Lindsay Mason
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I knew most of this stuff but it is still informative.
Ann
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was having problems sleeping. It was educational and actually helped me a lot.
Tim
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Opened my eyes to the importance of sleep relative to daytime job and family performance.
Ryan Barron

Very interesting book. I liked to hear some of the myths and truths about sleep! We definitely need to be more educated about sleep!
jaadhimalli
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people working night-shifts
If you work in night-shifts, this book clearly tells you how to make sure you have the required amount of sleep and how to keep your biological clock balanced.
Karen
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good information, have used some of it and try to do more of what he suggests but not always easy to break bad habit of staying up late on the weekends..always pay for on monday morning!
Steve Schardein
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book, with mostly useful information. I was interested in the subject so I decided to check this out.
Jeremy
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty much commonsense, but a good reminder about the power of rest: consistency + 8-10 hours.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Seeking Heart (Mountain Lakes #1)
  • Object of Desire
  • The Rainbow Way: Cultivating Creativity in the Midst of Motherhood
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Ella Bella
  • Fit from Within: 101 Simple Secrets to Change Your Body and Your Life - Starting Today and Lasting Forever
  • The Power of Rest: Why Sleep Alone Is Not Enough. A 30-Day Plan to Reset Your Body
  • Pearls of Pleasure
  • The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process: Transcend Your Toughest Times
  • Ransom's Redemption
  • The Great American Detox Diet: Feel Better, Look Better, and Lose Weight by Cleaning Up Your Diet
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training
  • Our Love Could Light the World
  • Living with Less: The Upside of Downsizing Your Life
  • Handbook to Higher Consciousness
  • Athletic Body in Balance
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman’s Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
“Self-Test. Click here to download a PDF of this Self-Test.” 0 likes