Start by marking “Silence of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Silence of the Heart

Silence of the Heart

Robert Adams is a powerful, Self-realised Master-Teacher of ultimate Truth and remarkable selfless compassion. A direct disciple of Sri Ramana Maharshi, Adams' Silence of the Heart is a renowned, classic treatise on Life, Reality, and True Illumination. It continues to transform lives throughout the world with its instantaneous elevation to new heights, directly guiding on ...more
Paperback
Published by YOGI IMPRESSIONS (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Silence of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence of the Heart

Start your review of Silence of the Heart
Ammu Nair
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never has a book so clearly and unequivocally told me that all is well and there is no room for mistakes or regrets here. No room for freewill. and no need for fretful action.
The immediacy and urgency with which the book exhorts to be free has transformed my tyrannical mind forever. It has filled me with a fresh burst of hope.
Can’t wait to reread and feel the vibrations that Robert Adams has left in these pages. ‘Silence of the heart’ is not a book, it’s an experience.
Chris Marchan
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any time and anywhere you can find the words of Robert Adams, I would advise you to do everything in your power to get as close as possible and dive in. Robert went to India to meet Ramana Maharshi as a teenager and has given us a very clear vision into the Knowledge of the Self through the teaching of Truth which lives within us all. He is so utterly pedestrian and profound in almost every utterance. Best of all the Western teachers I have found. This book is kinda rare and has been re-issued i ...more
Aravind Sankaran
This book is like a song. You keep reading the same thing again and again and yet you don't want it to end :) ...more
Andicot
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say this is the last book you will ever read.. and I didn’t get it at that time .. but now, after finishing it.. I can understand why! I am reading it for the second time now... and I am loving the “silence” between the words..... 😊
John
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the lack of editing aside, this was a well timed book for me. I feel this book can be easily confusing if one was not well versed in 'enlightenment speak/lingo' or have not read others of this genre: non-duality or advaita vedanta.

It was well timed for me because it was a nudge in the direction of actual spiritual practise of stilling the mind and self inquiry. It brought clarity to the genre which is a rare trait. The other book which was as this clear for me was 'Happiness beyond Thought
Pythagorean
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful book! Robert Adams knew how to give pointers. I'm so glad I came across his teachings. ...more
Chantal Kirwan- dion
Life changer and a constant re-read.
Nate
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Am - eternally grateful for these ineffable words. Thank you All The Way
Murali
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, if not THE best books on spirituality. Highly recommended. It is out of print, but if anyone needs a copy, Please send me an email.
JR
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book !! Highest teachings conveyed in a simple and direct way by Robert Adams.
Nader Taghinia
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of a kind and the only book after Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now that I decided to read again. You have no idea how deeply touching this book is until you read it. I have read many spiritual books and I can say with confidence that Silence of the Heart is the one that penetrates your heart the deepest and most effectively!
Justin
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ego felt a bit big for someone in the know. On the other hand, there was a good deal of love in the book
Pascale Ollagnier
the clearest teacher everhe makes Advaita very easy to grasp
Jeff Forrester
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book lightly for it will change your life forever. It's the best treatment of Advaita Vendanta for Westerners I have ever seen. ...more
Cristina Ronderos
Wow, thank you Robert Adams.
Nuri
Oct 06, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I haven't yet finished the book, but something mandated that I wrote a review right away. I know I'll rate this book 5 stars anyway.

There are only a handful texts that imparts the spiritual discourse from a state direct experience. This is one. If you have a strong abidance in Advaita-Vedanta, you wouldn't want to waste your time, looking elsewhere.

The remarkable thing about some of these texts (such as I AM THAT of Nisargadatta Maharaj, Who Am I? of Ramana Maharshi, Death Must Die of Sri Anan
Arkadagy Saparshy
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always loved Robert's writing. ...more
Tracy
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One if the best books I have ever read.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez

• The Deepest Acceptance: Radical Awakening in Ordinary Life
  • The Spiral Staircase: My Climb Out of Darkness
  • Jnana-Yoga
  • Be As You Are
  • The Secret Power Of Kriya Yoga: Revealing the Fastest Path to Enlightenment. How Fusing Bhakti Yoga & Jnana Yoga into Kriya Yoga will Unleash the most Powerful Yoga Ever (Real Yoga Book 2)
  • Kriya Yoga Exposed: The Truth About Current Kriya Yoga Gurus, Organizations & Going Beyond Kriya, Contains the Explanation of a Special Technique Never Revealed Before (Real Yoga Book 1)
  • Kundalini Exposed: Disclosing the Cosmic Mystery of Kundalini. The Ultimate Guide to Kundalini Yoga, Kundalini Awakening, Rising, and Reposing on its Hidden Throne (Real Yoga Book 3)
  • Woman of the Earth
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • The Water of Life: A Treatise on Urine Therapy
As co-founder and editorial director of PASSPORT, one of the world’s preeminent travel magazines, Robert Adams is an enthusiastic proponent of writing and photography that highlights the best our world has to offer, while at the same time shedding light on what needs to be done to protect our planet and ensure human rights for everyone.

Robert began his career as a photographer and writer in New Y

Related Articles

Discover lots of new and upcoming nonfiction reads this spring with our author interviews, articles, and book lists!   Interviews with...
“You must want to be free. It must become first with you before anything else. Everything that you’ve done all your life, is only a game, a game you’re playing with your self, only it seems to be real. The only reality is the Self and you are That. Why look for anything else? Everything else will take care of itself. You’ve got to abide in the Self, just in the Self. Everything else will take care of itself in a beautiful way. You are boundless space, like the ocean, like the sky, all-pervasive. This is your real nature. But for some reason you believe you are a body, confined to a small space. This is not you. It’s illusion. You are all-pervading absolute reality. This is your true nature. This is who you really are.
Just by thinking about these things all the time, something begins to happen to you, something wonderful. Do not think about the weather, or about the day’s work or your problems. For all the thinkers, who thinks? Find out who has the problems? Find out who you really are, who am I? It’s up to you to awaken from this mortal dream. You can keep on going like you are right now, with the good things and the bad things. Yet you live in a universe of dualities, which means for every good there is a bad. For every bad there is a good. It’s a false world in which you live. You need to awaken to this truth.
Be aware of yourself, always. The world goes through its own karma. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. You belong to God. Everything you see is God. This is why you should be nonjudgemental. Leave everything alone. By practising these things, you become radiantly happy. Everyone wants something. If your mind stops thinking, what happens? Some of you believe you will not have anything, that you will have more problems. But it’s in reverse. You experience bliss, joy and happiness when you don’t want anything. From what we know, people want something and when they get it, they become more miserable than ever before.
Nothing is wrong. Everything is right just the way it is. Do not try to understand this or figure it out. Leave it alone. It will happen by itself, by keeping yourself quiet and still. You quiet the mind because of realization. Let it be calm. In all situations be calm. Let it be still and quiet. The world doesn’t need any help from you. Aren’t you the world, aren’t you the Creator? You created the world the way it is. It came out of you, of your mind. The world that you are in, is a creation of your own mind. When the mind becomes still, the world begins to disappear. And you’re in divine harmony and joy. Therefore, happiness comes to you when you stop thinking, when you stop judging, when you stop being afraid. When you begin to contemplate what is happiness. All the answers are within you. Everything you’re looking for is within you, everything.
Nobody can help but your Self. Know who you are. You are the power. All the
power of the universe is within you. You have all the power you need. All is well, exceedingly well. It has always been well, it will always be well. When you leave here today act like a god or a goddess. Do not act like a human being any longer. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, saying you’re unhappy. Stand up tall. Know the truth about yourself. Become the witness of all phenomena that you see and be free. Peace.”
5 likes
“Suffering will only stop, not when God answers your prayers, but when you awaken to the truth of your own Being.” 5 likes