Start by marking “Revolutionary Parenting: What the Research Shows Really Works” as Want to Read:
Revolutionary Parenting: What the Research Shows Really Works

Revolutionary Parenting: What the Research Shows Really Works

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Revolution is underway, but in this new era, how can parents make a lasting impact in the spiritual lives of their children? To find the answer, George Barna researched the lives of thriving adult Christians and discovered the essential steps their parents took to shape their spiritual lives in childhood. He also learned surprising truths about which popular parenting ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by BarnaBooks (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Revolutionary Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Parenting

Chris
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-book-clubs
Finally forced myself to finish this one, just so I could count it towards my reading challenge. Found myself bristling through much of this book. While I appreciate what this book is trying to do, I definitely found myself questioning some of the research (the approach, the people included/not included, etc.), resisting the idea that this book was the only method that works, wondering what the real end-goal should be, and pondering some things that I thought were contradictory throughout.
Laurie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent summary of data on actual parenting practices and outcomes, arranged thoughtfully and practically, with provocative application questions at end of each chapter. One of the best little parenting books I've read.
Brenda Seefeldt
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A parenting book that does not make you feel like a loser plus it has researched results so you feel that maybe something you do is possible because it is based on research and not opinion.
Keren Threlfall
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reading
Those familiar with the name George Barna will know that he is renowned within Christian circles for founding The Barna Group, a research group that focuses primarily on studying, surveying, and researching statistics within the American Christian subculture. In keeping with this, Barna’s book focuses on the researching the crucial aspects of parenting that correlate with what he calls “spiritual champions.”
Barna begins by stating that in the mass of parenting books available, he really does bel
Jeremy Manuel
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Revolutionary Parenting is a spin off of George Barna's book Revolution from a couple years earlier. I'm always a bit skeptical of books that try to cash in on the success of a previous work, particularly in the Christian world. While maybe not as bad as my initial skepticism would lead me to believe, I held the same mixed feelings about this work as I did about the original.

On the positive side the book gives some good ideas to chew on. I found a number of insights from his research very intere
Andrew
George Barna, a trusted researcher in the domain of faith and culture, conducted a national study of people whom he classified them as Spiritual Champions (the most dedicated subset of Christians) or not, and then he interviewed the adult child and the parents. Comparing Spiritual Champions to others, he found the differences in the way that they were raised that correlated to a person becoming a Spiritual Champion.

I liked that the topic was practical to my questions as a parent raising three ch
Jen
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, library
Excellent read! Barna doesn't mince words. He says it how it is and doesn't have a lot of fluffy wasted space in this book. I suppose the premises of this book is what I am always on a quest to find...what did successful parents do while raising their children? Barna actually researched this topic - and I like research! He sought out parents who raised spiritual champions. Now I am learning (slowly) that children cannot be pigeon holed. They are all unique and will need to be parented in differe ...more
Josh-danielle Venable
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good book with a lot of great insight on parenting and raising children who want to serve God. If you're looking for a James Dobson, advice style book, I'm not sure that this one is for you though.

The book is written from a research perspective. It is written by George Barna after all, so that only makes sense. The basic idea of the book is that Barna interviewed parents and that were considered (assumedly by his research team) to have been successful in the raising of their children
barbara hinderer
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
While this book is very different than any other parenting book on the market, it had a lot of valuable information for raising your child(ren) in faith. The majority of this book is research based. It is not a how-to book; instead it is a look at actual parents and their mindset while trying to raise kids in a godly manner. The basis of the research and information provided is about the way you think, act and approach conflict in terms of parenting. Though most of the book was geared towards th ...more
Kim
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interesting. Not really a "I did this now you should do this" type of book. It's based on surveys and interviews of parents who raised children to become spiritual warriors and adults who grew up to become spiritual warriors. This is a book on what worked to help these children to become warriors for Christ. For instance, very few children from single-parent homes become spiritual warriors. Statistically these children come from two-parent households who view their reponsibility to raise childre ...more
Alison Stegert
Nov 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This parenting book takes a different approach. Rather than merely espousing a philosophy or promoting a technique, the author and his team of researchers have quantified what is a good result of the task of parenting. In their estimation, optimum parenting results in nothing less than a "spiritual champion." A spiritual champion is a person who is more than religious and who goes beyond activity in their church. Their spiritual life is vibrant and they impact their communities in meaningful way ...more
Cary Sawatsky
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book and the Bible are the two most important books on parenting ever written (IMHO). I will dedicate much of my life's energy in trying to get as many people as possible to read and apply the teachings of "Revolutionary Parenting". The only thing negative that I have to say about the book is that it does not include the statistical data that the book is written upon. It is also the kind of book that the average parent will need to have explained to them in smaller bites to really make sens ...more
Patrick
This book is unique in approach, but not in content. It is based on Barna's research into successful parenting, which is what makes it unique. The conclusions he draws, however, are not much different than can be found in many other books. It makes a great introductory book on parenting, but is not particularly insightful for those who have already read and thought about it a great deal besides confirming conclusions one has already drawn.
Marianna
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every parent
This book was an unexpected gift from my aunt and uncle. I was excited to read it and challenged more than I could have imagined. The Lord expects a lot of me as a parent, and I pray that I see Him as I try to do just that. My goal is for my children to become spiritual champions as the book describes them. A must read! No parenting book measures up to this because this gets down to our purpose as parents as God sees it!
Sharon Cartwright
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a good book. Barna identified what he called "spiritual champions," young adults who were spiritually solid and active in their local churches and communities and worked backwards to identify what their parents did right.

They emphasized the importance of having a plan with goals. It helpfed me to take a step back and see my role as a parent from the big picture perspective. The suggestions were solid, biblical and made sense to me.
Karen
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Best book on parenting I've read yet. Doesn't tell you how to do it, but encourages you through the statistics of hundreds of Christian parents whose kids are pursuing adulthood as passionate followers of Jesus. It affirmed things I'm doing, and fired me up to start some things I'm not. Definately finished the book thinking "Stand firm" and "Press On."
Clare Graaf
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very helpful for parents who want to be intentional influencers of their children. Barna doesn't beat you up. He gives solid evidence for why some kids embrace Christ while other walk away.
Tony
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. I liked seeing data driven parenting techniques that are practical and had impact. Many of the practices we are already implementing (treat children with respect, intentional quality time, focus on character not accomplishments). I'd recommend this book to any parent. Easy read.
Samuel
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: parenting
A great look at parenting and how to get strategic in terms of raising kids with a Godly perspective on the world around them. Great ideas and questions to get you thinking about what you're doing with your kids.
Legacy Dad
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading (along with the Bible) on how to successfully raise Christian children. It is a moderate view of Christian living that sometimes disproves many “beliefs” about raising spiritual champions.
Corey Grabar
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've respected Barna for a number of years and I am thrilled he's come out with such a fascinating and definitive book on parenting. Very good and helpful read. It has confirmed so much of our parenting understandings.
Rebecca
I loved this book. The information for parents is great. His idea of researching parents of adult Spiritual Champions is great. This should be in the hands of all parents, especially new parents, so they can start off right.
Troy
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I not only enjoyed the read, but I greatly appreciated this book. As a youth/family minister, I found the great amount of research very beneficial in helping shape the way I minister to families.
Amy
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT parenting book.
Bradleyhg
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good stuff so far...
Rob and Lisa
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book on parenting. Best I have read. Unbelievably challenging as well. I have a lot of work to do!
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book based on research by the Barna group who has also done research for Ford, Disney, and Focus on the Family. Changed my view on my role as a parent.
Mindy
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
great info on what has worked over time in raising children with character
Aaron Thomas
I really love Barna's books about parenting
Devon Schlegelmilch
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yes. It gave some great points to think through in parenting.
  • Raising A Modern Day Princess
  • Hide or Seek
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • She Calls Me Daddy: Seven Things Every Man Needs to Know About Building a Complete Daughter
  • Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage
  • How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Pastor Dad
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders
George Barna was raised and educated on the East Coast before moving to California in the early 1980s. He held executive positions in advertising, public policy, political campaigns, and media/marketing research before beginning his own company, the Barna Research Group (now The Barna Group), in 1984. The firm analyzes American culture and creates resources and experiences designed to facilitate m ...more
More about George Barna

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99