Start by marking “Escape (Trasmundo #1)” as Want to Read:
Escape (Trasmundo #1)

Escape

(Trasmundo #1)

Strange, quiet Luka doesn't live in this world; long ago he took refuge in his art, escaping into surreal mindscapes inspired by his favorite painters. In the beautifully monstrous realms of his imagination, he is safe from the pain of his losses: his family, his friends, his hope.

Until war breaks out, and he is forced to flee the only home he's known since he was thirteen
Published August 6th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape

Start your review of Escape (Trasmundo #1)
Baba
2 I-tried stars. DNF @73%. Review posted August 17, 2015

photo oie_H6ZVK99oBzli_zpspjmukq9v.gif

How about a pitch-black no? You don't approve? How about a canary-yellow one?

photo oie_O1B1Qs8VylmI_zpssyywacnp.gif

The Bokan was blushing. Again. Maybe it was some kind of glandular issue. A problem regulating his body temperature.

He blushed one too many times. In fact, he never stopped blushing and on the rare occasions he did not blush, he shrugged.

photo oie_16134058Y5LWbSOL_zpsslhefuzy.gif

The kid. I can't hear it anymore.

photo tumblr_nl1nri6zNA1tzeb8io1_500_zpsdg05frut.gif

Bodily reactions to the nth degree:

The sudden rush of warmth to Luka's chest made it fe
Sheri

My chest aches.
My mouth is dry.
My knuckles are still white. Frankly, I'm a mess.
I don't know about you, but I love it when a book has such a profound effect on me.
I needed back-up, so I called in reinforcements to join me on this epic journey.
I'm sure we'll have plenty to say after we compare notes.....

I'm baccckkkkkkk! And riding the wave from my book high still.
It’s been awhile since I crushed….and this time, I crushed hard. Apologizes ahead of time~ you are about to enter a Luka&Tarik mani
Debra

Review originally posted at Sinfully...Addicted to All Male Romance

Luka has not had a happy life. He carries a secret about why his family sent him away from his home in the southern region to work halfway across the country when he was thirteen. He feels overwhelming shame at his lack of education and his homosexuality. The one thing that brings him comfort is losing himself in his art. Now at nineteen he has been accepted into art school and is just beginning to find some joy when it
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Sheri
4.5 Stars

I have every intention of writing a poignant review, but in the meantime a thanks to Sheri for the recommendation. Her poignant review is here -

And I heartily agree, though I think we found different points of interest and beauty.

Tina

4,5 stars

“I hope you know, Luka, when people are cruel to you, it doesn’t mean you’re bad, or that there’s anything wrong with you. It only means something’s wrong with them.”

Wow! This novel and first part of a new series totally swept me off my feet… literally. I loved Varian’s writing in Dangerously Happy but wasn’t prepared for what was waiting for me when I started reading Escape.

Escape is dark, and emotional, and yet full of hope. Luka is such a sweet boy, living in an ethnic war zone t
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
description

4.5 emotional stars

“Every life is supposed to be a mix. Some suffering. Some goodness. And now I’ve had both.”

Oh wow; such beauty, poetry, artistry and vivid images portrayed under such a grim, horrific and morose setting. Varian Krylov’s writing is exquisite – we knew that already – it’s almost as if we’re reading a poetic account of life, the ugly and the beautiful – the frantic and the serene. The basic core of human elemental emotions and how intrinsically; all we want and need is to b
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Shelves: 2015
description

4.5 emotional stars

Bey Deckard
I was so chuffed to collaborate with Varian and do the cover and other art for Trasmundo: Escape because this was such a great read for me. I haven’t read many books where one of the central MCs is an artist—as an artist myself, that alone made the book a fascinating read. However there is so much more to it.

For one thing, the tension in this book was very thick at times, which I loved—the stress of waiting to see whether war’s grasping claws would reach Luka, the worry over whether the risky e
Gabi
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was another 5+++++ stars worth read! I think I have a lucky streak or something.
What I really, truly like about this book, is the writing. It's so picturesque. Like I'm listening to a symphony, or reading a poem. Amazing!!! :)

HOT. PASSIONATE. ALL THE FEELS. <3

Can't wait for the second book.
Kristie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've finished, and I'll review it... but I need time. Time because my heart has these feelings pouring out of it that I can't possibly put down right now. I might not ever, but I'll try... later. Then, I'll let you know.
Trisie
I'm giving this book 5 stars especially because of its first part. The writing style was just exquisite. I loved the composition and the way the art was intertwined with the story. I also enjoyed quotes in every chapter (J.-P. Sartre and F. Nietzsche - what more could a MM and philosophy lover want:D)
Even though it was revolving around a war situation, I didn't find it too deeply focused on it. In the second half of the book you could easily forget about what was happening around them. It went f
♣️ Lynda ♣️
What a wonderful story!!

I must say I fell in love with Luka right off. His heartbreaking life until he met Tarik made me cry for him.
Tarik was just what Luka needed. A savior of sorts. Their journey to escape a war, predjudice and to find family had me captivated. I didn't want to put the book down.

La*La
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.

I'm rounding the rating up, I think? This was a good story, well-written..it sucked me in from the first pages and kept me interested till the end. Still, I'm not a fan of war and genocide stuff...the refugee camps, the running from home...with all the things going on in the world in real life, this story hit too close to reality for me.

Despite the bleak war atmosphere, the relationship the heroes shared was lovely. Maybe Luka was too skittish and Tarik too tender (reminded me of Dar
Carly
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. This book is amazing! The character development blew me away. Luka is broken perfection. His past torments him, his present is a living nightmare, and yet he still hopes for a better future. I can't remember the last time I read a character that touched my heart as much as Luka did; I was amazed by his bravery and I cried over his pain. If I could I would wrap him up in my arms, shower him with love, and protect him from all the ugliness in the world.

Luka's first encounter with Tari
Rachel
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: war
Oh, this started off with so, so much potential, but in the end the romantic arc simply didn’t reconcile with its gritty war torn back drop for me.

The book engaged me from the start. The writing is well done, but it won’t be for everyone. The prose are highly descriptive – visually painting a scene to leave little to the reader’s imagination. If this were ever made into a movie, every frame would be a work of art. Though I appreciate the spectacular visualization each word evoked, the style len
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

This review is had me in a pickle for a couple of days, Iv’e been bouncing around between ratings and still feel a little undecided. This is a rich, enthralling and beautifully written story about the devastation and ugliness of war and the people trying to survive it yet I felt detached from it most of the way through.

We meet Luka who is doing the best he can in difficult circumstances. Sent away from his home and family at just thirteen he hides his real self an
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, ebook, dmc, bgirls
4.5 star Review by The Blogger Girls.

This story started out a little slow for me. The first 25% is filled with a lot of words, vivid descriptions and foreign names that almost had me giving up. But, I’m so glad I didn’t, because once things got moving and the dialog picked up, I was riveted.

Poor sweet Luka has had it rough. He lives in a world where his people are looked down upon and persecuted for seemingly no reason at all. Made to wear an armband to show who he is and living in fear every da
Em
It took me a while to get into the book, some parts rambled a bit and I found all the references to art at the beginning a bit pretentious and unnecessary. I nearly gave up at that point. However, once I got past 25% or so things became a lot more real and the story began. I'm pretty sure I'll read the next book.
Frau Sorge (Yuki)
What a beautiful book.

It was my second book of Varian Krylov and for the second one I loved it.

And it's a huge pleasure for me to read about places I know, even if they are distorted by author's imagination, by the way.

Highly recommended work of art.
K
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect with Escape, Varian Krylov’s first book in Trasmundo. I was familiar with her writing style having read her previous books so I was pretty confident I was going to like this one, as well. I was completely caught off guard, however, because for me Escape wasn’t anything like her other novels. Don’t take that the wrong way thinking I didn’t like it because the truth is …I loved it.

Luka has had a very painful and subdued life and he’s only 19. He has never had anyone w
Toni FGMAMTC
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

This novel is about citizens in a country at civil war. Luka is a sweet, gentle, gay young man who is constantly finding himself at the short end of every situation. He has to try hiding his orientation because it would make him an outcast and subject to brutality. As if that isn't enough, he's without family and has the wrong ethnicity and accent for the part of the country where he happens to live. The only joy he has in life is his art, but he can'
Shellanwannabe Mena
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've not given a 5-Star rating to a book in a long time; this one hands-down-don't-even-doubt-it-for-second deserves it. Where's book two? WHERE???
justanya
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-faves

* warning: story is some what dark. Rape & violence occurs in this story.*

Ever read a book that's so hard to review your head hurts every time you try to find the words?
Yeah, that's precisely what this particular story has done to me. It's not very dark. It's not depressing but it is disturbing and heartbreaking while at the same time uplifting and beautiful. I don't know how Krylov managed to pull it off but it works.

Is it a good story? Yes.

Are the characters interesting?
Well written? relata
Suki Fleet
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved the beginning of this. I even had to check the story wasn't about a real place--it felt very real and very true. It's an exciting set up and I loved the pictures.
Conflicted because the prose did trip me up quite a bit, and I didn't feel so connected to the characters by the end as their romantic journey began to feel a bit repetitive.
Czarria
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Other people have given their opinions, much more eloquently than I ever could.
Just trust me when I say you need to read this :)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thanks for the gift, Monica!
Tiffaney
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: broken, dark, mm
This story was incredible.

"You deserve to be loved."

I can't remember the last time I truly connected with a character. Luka felt real. He was fragile. Broken. Hurt. His entire life. All 19 years he had been cast aside. Never wanted. Or loved.

I just finished this story and I'm honestly getting a little bit emotional thinking about.

This poor young man.

Set on the backdrop of a war between the north and the south. Young Luka is sent away by his family at age 13. As a reader we're unsure why. This
Наталья
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Carole M
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy I gave this a chance

I don’t know why, but I was reluctant to read this. So glad I did. I have read two other books from the author and both were great. This is a bit heart wrenching, but is a beautiful story. I really am desperate for book two! Hoping we will see that eventually.
Diverse
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2015
Every writer has a style, it’s their signature. Varian Krylov has always been one to push the boundaries. The trip to the happily ever after is never easy and it’s filled with open faced truths. Humanity isn’t perfect. In Trasmundo we follow Luka and Tarik. 2 men from different sides of a horrifying war both seeking the same thing. Peace and acceptance. Varian is masterful in showing you the raw brutality of mankind and balancing it out with the beautiful kindness of it as well. Luka’s life if u ...more
The Challenge Fac...: Stella, Kelsey & Lou - Trasmundo: Escape 41 10 Oct 21, 2015 06:45PM

• The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • The Replacement Husband (Goddess-Blessed, #1)
  • Wrong Way Home - Criminal Delights: Taken
  • Where the Devil Says Goodnight (Folk Lore, #1)
  • Family Recipe
  • Out in the Open (Browerton University, #1)
  • Better the Devil You Know
  • Epic (Him, #2.5)
  • The Silver Cage (The Silver Cage, #1)
  • My Dark Knight  (Kings of Hell MC, #2)
  • For Sam, times infinity
  • Without You
  • If It Fornicates (Market Garden, #4)
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • From Temptation (Deliver Us, #2)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • Only Love (Only Love, #1)
Growing up near Los Angeles, I spent much of my time frolicking in the Pacific Ocean and penning angst-twisted poetry. Now I'm living in sunny Spain writing pathos-riddled fiction. Ironically, two of my favorite things are traveling, and swimming in the ocean, despite increasingly intense phobias of sharks and flying.

I've always loved the music and substance of words, always loved writing in well-

Trasmundo (2 books)