Start by marking “Immortown” as Want to Read:
Immortown

Immortown

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  39 ratings  ·  24 reviews
After a tragic accident on set (which might or might not have been her fault), 18-year-old indie-film actress Freya Aurore flees from home and finds herself in Immortown. She is not entirely sure how she ended up here, but one thing is certain: This town is. . .unusual. To start with, local buildings have an annoying habit of disappearing right in front of her eyes. ...more
Published July 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Immortown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortown

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Immortown
Paul Bowler
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting, which is always a good sign. Especially as the paranormal isn't my usual fare.

The author, very quickly, succeeds in engaging the reader in a complex plot. And she has created characters, both sympathetic and villainous, that are as compelling as they are, in some cases, repellent.

The ending, while unexpected, was all the more satisfying for it.
T. C.
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immortown is a unique kind of story that has its own style. I liked the fact that it wasn't a usual type of plot and that the way the characters were described felt authentic and a little creepy at times. The author did an excellent job keeping the book fresh while adding in some surprises that catch you off guard. I recommend this book if you are looking for something original and stylistically unique.

T.C.
Remesh R.
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a strange book. I have never read anything gothic (or bizarre) before. It was confusing at times with the narrative switch and dark all the time. There were bits of humor here and there. My favorite would be "Your sarcasm is the third reason on my list for thinking about suicide".
I liked the book. It was refreshing and strange. The author is skilled no doubt, and is capable of creating magic. Keep up the good work, Lily.
Faith Jones
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lily Markova is the best unsigned writer of literature in the world today.

Justice, if you do exist somewhere in your ivory tower of airy promises, please read that line again.

I swear I will return and revise that statement if I find another rookie novelist with no publishing deal who can elevate prose to the same standard as Lily Markova, The Loneliest Whale being the current benchmark. The crazy thing is, this one isn’t her best book but it represents a prototype of literary craft that
Elysian Fields
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This was an interesting read to say the least. I spent a good portion of this book confused and uncertain of what was going on, I felt thrown in without any background. Once I did dig through and get information the story was good.

Freya is trying to move on after her parents death, but she is having a difficult time. She (and the reader by default) end up in a town called Immortown. This is once interesting town, filled with quirky and funny characters. I'm not quite sure as to her role or
Red Lace Reviews
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like the dark paranormal
Recommended to Red by: Lily Markova
Famous actress Freya Auror suddenly finds herself in a very odd town where the townsfolk spend all their time consuming powerful substances and killing themselves. She soon discovers she's trapped, yet not all hope is lost. Maybe there's a way out for her, a way to escape the clutches of Immortown. Or just maybe she'll remain there until she fades...

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for my honest review. My thanks goes to Lily Markova for giving me
A. Powers
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review at onlinebookclub.org. You can read my official review here: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/view...

To summarize my feelings for the book: at first I was skeptical. Stuff was just kind of weird, and things just didn't seem to make any sense. But then I kept reading, and I was so glad I did! Stuff fell into place like some kind of mosaic jigsaw puzzle; it looks so random when you look at each individual piece, but when you step
Lily Markova
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Liz Konkel for Readers' Favorite (Rating: 5 Stars)

"Immortown by Lily Markova is an irresistibly dark read with strange and charming characters. Freya is still processing the death of her brother by putting her focus on her job as an actress. Then an accident on set changes everything. Suddenly she finds herself in Immortown. A strange town that Freya can't quite figure out, full of even stranger characters. The first person she meets claims to be the girlfriend of her late brother,
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is split between Kai's and Freya's point of view.

Freya's perspective is disjointed and confusing at first due to her lack of knowledge.Kai's has more information, but takes for granted that the reader knows what is going on.This is a book is one that required a second read.It is short but impactful and a second read may be useful.The writing style is poetic though stylistically awkward at points.The world building and characters could be more concrete but it is enjoyable.

I received a
Molly
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tragedy brought Freya to a dark and lethal crossroads. Much like the mythical Hotel California, it doesn’t seem she can ever leave.

The on set tragedy was basically accidental, yet folks in this crazy place seem to have pretty deliberate murder in their minds: herd. Freya cannot grasp how they do not seem to think that she should take the attempts personally

Is this a one way trip with no exit for Freya?

Intense, dark humor adventure

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Lori
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well written story.It is different and you find yourself trying to figure out what is actually happening. I found it flowed well and kept me interested until the very end. This was my first book by this author but I will be looking for more of their work. I received this as an ARC in return for my honest opinion.I highly recommend this read.

Becky Adams
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watermelon sugar.

This book reminds me of in Watermelon sugar. A book I read 50 years ago in school. Lines are drawn between the living and the dead. But both mingle together through out the story. Twist and turns occur till the very end. Who is dead who is alive and how is this world of immortown even possible read to find out.
Penny Hickman
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immortown is for the dead. I had a hard time staying interested in this one. Nothing against the story or the author, just wasn't my taste.

Mark Hayes
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the easiest book I have ever read, stylistic I would even call it awkward. But when the world is full of simple formulaic books that are written in familiar patterns reading then something with interesting quirks that takes a different approach is both refreshing and engaging. Immortown is full of quirks, which seemed a little jarring at first but which drew me into them as I read further. Until the quirks became all the more appealing.
The narrative is a progression of first person
Gloria Piper
Freya, an actress with a cult following, visits her brother's grave after he commits suicide. As she leaves on foot to return to her car, the scenery has changed. Suddenly she is in Immortown, a crazy place which no one can leave. How did she get there? Has she gone insane? Slowly she learns the truth as she searches for escape, and for her brother.

I read this book twice. The first time, I was totally at sea, as if I were attending Alice in Wonderland's tea party. What kept me going was the
Shazia
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free PDF copy of this book in exchange for an honest review on goodreads. My review may also contain some spoilers.

Reading the description of this book, it immediately drew my attention because I do enjoy a good paranormal themed story. However, it did take a few tries for me to fully get into this book. Once I was in about 40 pages it was an easier read. I feel the need to make a note that a lot of these characters have "different" names or very different spellings of more common
Joanie Chevalier
At times this story was brilliant, at other times, confusing, haunting, abstract and full of idea fragments. I still enjoyed the story though, in spite of this and that fact that the different points of view were a little hard to follow at times. The life after death idea was intriguing. I have never read a book quite like this and that was the brilliant part. The basic idea is that Freya died (I think-at times she thought she was alive) and is stuck in Immortown along with other ghosts. These ...more
miri
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't go into details about what the book is about because the description really says it all: "A quirky, darkish, and ghostly NA novel with a bar and an ocean inside." I can confirm "quirky, darkish, and ghostly". From the start you are confused, but you want to find out more (- that's if you don't get tired of frowning or bored of not seeing a bigger picture).

If you're a fan of paranormal and mystery, you'll probably like this book. It keeps your mind working - it's different from those
Neil Carstairs
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immortown paints a strange, almost hallucinogenic view of life after death, or possibly life before death, when the spirit has wandered to a place where they will live until they fade.

Freya is one such spirit, an actress with what seems to be mental health problems, still missing her brother a year after his apparent suicide. She visits his grave and meets Kristle, who claims to have been her brother’s girlfriend. From the cemetery Freya stumbles into the Immortown, and finds that this is one
Barbara Land
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m left with mixed feelings after reading Immortown by Lily Markova.

On the one hand, Ms Markova’s writing is excellent – sometimes brilliant – and on the other, you have a book fraught with rapidly changing POVs amid paragraphs such as this:

“Somehow it seems to me that if you had stayed in the room, they wouldn’t harm me. It seems to me somehow that you wouldn’t let them. Seems if I call you, you’ll come in time and stop them.”

This only makes sense if you know who all these pronouns are at any
Natalie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2 days! I was really addicted to the story... It is great written unique book!
Author expressed characters so good, that it was impossible not to love them.
Nowadays it is quite hart to find an original book that has something new in it. BUT that is Immortown! Everything I expected I found!
Sometimes it happens to me, that I found the book boring cause there are too much information contained - in Immortown there was nothing I would mind.
Only one thing I wasn't satisfied
Amber Daniels
I started this book and put aside a few times but finally I set out to read it and was determined to finish it. Well I have to say I liked it. I got a little confused in spots but I figured it out. I want to read more from this author because I think she develops characters well and had a great story line. I am also sure her imagination has a lot more to offer. I don't usually read this genre I read more romance and science fiction/fantasy than anything but I do like to spread my wings on ...more
Kristy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
This book was a very intriguing read. I wished it had more of a happy ending for everyone though, but can appreciate the path the author chose. It was definitely a book that made the reader think & I always love that in the books I read. The characters felt a little superficial & the plot at times felt like it was missing something; I didn't get pulled into the story right away, which is why the rating wasn't higher for me. I would still recommend this book though.

*I received a free copy
Nicole B
Well that was a weird ride. Immortown reminds me of silent hill's plot in many ways. Entering another world which is not really here and being haunted by your demons. Immortown is a ghost town. Its interesting and the characters were excellent but I did get lost occasionally with what was going on.
Jessica Kocan
Oct 22, 2019
anita longden
Nov 30, 2019
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {731} Immortown CLOSED 6 91 Dec 11, 2015 08:19AM
New Adult Book Club: #167/15 Immortown by Lily Markova 4 20 Nov 10, 2015 02:49PM
Making Connections: 3952. - IMMORTOWN by Lily Markova 1 16 Aug 21, 2015 08:49PM

• Typhoid Mary
  • Abomination
  • Twist and Turn (Kyle Achilles #4)
  • Reimagining Mr. Right (Cat's Paw Cove #6)
  • The Broom to Nowhere (A Wildes Witches Mystery Book 3)
  • A Notion of a Potion (The Happy Blending Witch Cozy Mystery Series #4)
  • Unquiet Souls (Project Demon Hunters #1)
  • Shoot the Messenger (Messenger Chronicles, #1)
  • The Case of the Happiness Spell: A Hillcrest Witch Mystery (Hillcrest Witch Cozy Mystery Book 13)
  • Deadline (Blood Trails, #1)
  • Witch Is When She Went Undercover
  • An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1)
  • Flirting With Death (Zara Romano Mystery #1)
  • The Killer Knight and the Murderous Chairleg (Point Muse, #1)
  • Ain't Nothing but a Pound Dog: A Paranormal Animal Cozy Mystery (Spellbound Hound Magic and Mystery Book 1)
  • Witches And Wands (Percy Prince Witching Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • The Thistlewood Curse
  • Familiar Blessings (Cat's Paw Cove #7)
When Lily Markova tried to rearrange the letters of her legal name into a cool, dark, mysterious pseudonym under which to conquer the world, she came up with Kai Ivory-Llama, and that is the only reason your world still remains unconquered.

She would also like her tombstone to say, "Couldn't write to save her life," because that is the sort of thing she finds amusing.

When Lily isn’t butchering